hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Edinburgh Rugby

Edinburgh Rugby

Anyone on here a fan?

I remember going to one of their games many years ago when they played at Myreside but it didn't really stick in the memory. However, yesterday my family and I were given some complimentary tickets to attend the first match in their new 'mini Murrayfield' stadium for a pre-season friendly against Newcastle Falcons.

With its scaffolding-type stands and canvas roofs the ground has the feel of something that might get thrown up for the Royal Highland Show, but I must say I really enjoyed the experience. The glorious sunshine was a big positive, but it was refreshingly different to see fans of both sides gathering at the numerous beer and food outlets and then sitting together in the stadium. I think there were circa 6 or 7k there, so it was pretty much full and with the stands so close to the pitch you got a really good view of the game (despite the fact there are some Kenny Waugh-style pillars along the front of the stands!). There are also some wee safe standing areas along the front of a couple of the stands so overall I thought it was quite well done. Much better (I'm guessing) than a similarly-sized crowd rattling around the 70k capacity Murrayfield.

What I probably enjoy most about watching sports I don't normally attend is that when you don't really mind who wins you can just sit back (with a beer in this case) and enjoy it for sport's sake.

Oh, and while my initial impression was that the pitch was outstandingly maintained it turned out to be some sort of hybrid surface which seemed to hold up extremely well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I'm a fan.

Before the pandemic I went a lot.

I'll have to experience it myself but my initial thoughts are that the new "stadium" looks awful. No height and pillars everywhere ruining my enjoyment of the game.

Also concerned that without Cockers they may go backwards. They've just lost some very good players this last year and not really replaced them with the same quality.

I do want to see the stadium myself at some point but its 25/30 quid for league games which is a bit too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm a fan.

Before the pandemic I went a lot.

I'll have to experience it myself but my initial thoughts are that the new "stadium" looks awful. No height and pillars everywhere ruining my enjoyment of the game.

Also concerned that without Cockers they may go backwards. They've just lost some very good players this last year and not really replaced them with the same quality.

I do want to see the stadium myself at some point but its 25/30 quid for league games which is a bit too much for me.
    That does seem steep for a club which I believe has always struggled to attract the numbers that, say, Glasgow get (except for bigger games).

I get the impression that since the advent of the pro era, Edinburgh have never really captured the hearts of rugby fans in the city. I think quite a few still go to watch their clubs rather than Edinburgh at a weekend? We're talking a long time ago (ie late 1970s) but a neighbour of mine used to work behind the bar at Goldenacre and his kids and I would sometimes go along on a match day. I remember it being quite good fun.

As for Edinburgh's mini stadium, it's definitely got the look and feel of a structure that could be quite easily dismantled and you imagine that with only canvas to protect you it will get mighty chilly in winter. On Saturday, though, the sunny day and the decent crowd made for a happy buzz and I would say that the pillars aren't as obstructive as you might fear (they're pretty narrow).

What's with the orange-themed kits? Coupled with the all-orange posts it felt like a game sponsored by Irn Bru

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    That does seem steep for a club which I believe has always struggled to attract the numbers that, say, Glasgow get (except for bigger games).

I get the impression that since the advent of the pro era, Edinburgh have never really captured the hearts of rugby fans in the city. I think quite a few still go to watch their clubs rather than Edinburgh at a weekend? We're talking a long time ago (ie late 1970s) but a neighbour of mine used to work behind the bar at Goldenacre and his kids and I would sometimes go along on a match day. I remember it being quite good fun.

As for Edinburgh's mini stadium, it's definitely got the look and feel of a structure that could be quite easily dismantled and you imagine that with only canvas to protect you it will get mighty chilly in winter. On Saturday, though, the sunny day and the decent crowd made for a happy buzz and I would say that the pillars aren't as obstructive as you might fear (they're pretty narrow).

What's with the orange-themed kits? Coupled with the all-orange posts it felt like a game sponsored by Irn Bru
    Also a fan, and also went a lot pre-pandemic. Used to really enjoy a Friday night, under the lights inside Murrayfield (though it was definitely quite sparse for standard league games!).

The new stadium is a better home for a small club and will create a bit of atmosphere compared to Murrayfield. I do wonder how much enjoyment I'll take out of watching games in it when the wind is howling and it's pishing with rain right enough.

I like the appointment of Mike Blair - I felt for Cockers last year. He dealt with the Autumn Nations competition, the conclusion of the Six Nations and then the 2021 Six Nations - a lot of times we were without key players, leaving us with a pretty threadbare and young squad. As a fan, I wrote last year off but clearly the board felt the need for change, which is a shame. The loss of key players is going to be a challenge going forward - especially Duhan! The Boffeli and Moyano look like decent acquisitions, but we're still light in some areas.

I'm happy to be corrected, but the original club colours were orange and blue - I actually really like both kits this year!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Also a fan, and also went a lot pre-pandemic. Used to really enjoy a Friday night, under the lights inside Murrayfield (though it was definitely quite sparse for standard league games!).

The new stadium is a better home for a small club and will create a bit of atmosphere compared to Murrayfield. I do wonder how much enjoyment I'll take out of watching games in it when the wind is howling and it's pishing with rain right enough.

I like the appointment of Mike Blair - I felt for Cockers last year. He dealt with the Autumn Nations competition, the conclusion of the Six Nations and then the 2021 Six Nations - a lot of times we were without key players, leaving us with a pretty threadbare and young squad. As a fan, I wrote last year off but clearly the board felt the need for change, which is a shame. The loss of key players is going to be a challenge going forward - especially Duhan! The Boffeli and Moyano look like decent acquisitions, but we're still light in some areas.

I'm happy to be corrected, but the original club colours were orange and blue - I actually really like both kits this year!
    Yeh, I just checked that and those were the colours of the Edinburgh district team until the launch of the pro team. Hopefully it will help to give them more of an identity.