hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A subject on which I apparently have a decent level of knowledge is identifying actors in a TV program and being able to say at least one other TV show they've been in (which drives my Mrs nuts)

Subjects I'm not so good at are... well pretty much everything else.

that’s a trait my Dad and I both share, drives my mum and my wife up the wall...

“see that guy there, he was once in an episode of NCIS, do you remember? Played a marine involved with killing someone, season 3, got caught trying to escape the country” - usually followed by “shut it” from one of them

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I also fall into the retaining totally useless information, I've been told I was like that even as a kid, strong points are history, TV and music, weak points English Counties

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    A subject on which I apparently have a decent level of knowledge is identifying actors in a TV program and being able to say at least one other TV show they've been in (which drives my Mrs nuts)

Subjects I'm not so good at are... well pretty much everything else.
    If it's a British actor, then it's always a safe bet to say they made an appearance in The Bill.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I have a decent general knowledge (but not good) and know a bit about a lot of things, but nowhere near an expert on anything useful.

I’m terrible at retaining information - especially details, so i could know a film but not the name of the lead actors etc.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I can do that, but I won't the actor's name nor the name of the character he/she played in the other show.
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    that’s a trait my Dad and I both share, drives my mum and my wife up the wall...

“see that guy there, he was once in an episode of NCIS, do you remember? Played a marine involved with killing someone, season 3, got caught trying to escape the country” - usually followed by “shut it” from one of them

Thanks guys, I'm glad it's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    If it's a British actor, then it's always a safe bet to say they made an appearance in The Bill.

Very true.

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    I have a real knack for (straightforward) mental arithmetic and frequently surprise people in meetings, with them often reaching for their calculator to check.

I'm crap at recognising people out of context. If I was outside the main entrance at Easter Road I'd be able to recognise and name most of the players, coaches, etc. because that's where they're meant to be. However I could easily walk past Jack Ross or Christian Doidge in the street across here and I wouldn't have a clue.
    I'm the same as you I'm rotten at recognising people and terrible for remembering folks names but have a knack for mental arithmetic, I put it down to pub darts when I was about 18. It's quite a handy skill to have working in procurement.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I have a decent general knowledge (but not good) and know a bit about a lot of things, but nowhere near an expert on anything useful.

I’m terrible at retaining information - especially details, so i could know a film but not the name of the lead actors etc.
    Big lack of knowledge on football as well.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Big lack of knowledge on football as well.
    That’s a given.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    I'm the same as you I'm rotten at recognising people and terrible for remembering folks names but have a knack for mental arithmetic, I put it down to pub darts when I was about 18. It's quite a handy skill to have working in procurement.

My mental arithmetic is also good and I too played darts when around 18, playing countdown I generally get the numbers round within 3-5 seconds unless it's an impossible one.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post

As I said earlier I'm crap at mental arithmetic, however after playing darts to a reasonably high standard many years ago I can still instantly count my way down from 501. It's not working anything out though, it's just memory from the thousands of times I've done it before.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    As I said earlier I'm crap at mental arithmetic, however after playing darts to a reasonably high standard many years ago I can still instantly count my way down from 501. It's not working anything out though, it's just memory from the thousands of times I've done it before.
    A big part of mental arithmetic is just memory though. You don't calculate that 3x9=27, or that 3x10=30 you just know it. From there it's how you get to 3x19=57 that dictates your capacity for mental arithmetic (although any darts player will again have that one memorised).

Left by mutual consent!
    A big part of mental arithmetic is just memory though. You don't calculate that 3x9=27, or that 3x10=30 you just know it. From there it's how you get to 3x19=57 that dictates your capacity for mental arithmetic (although any darts player will again have that one memorised).
    Yes I get that but ask me to work out a sum that I havent come across before and it takes me forever. Any and all of the dart board sums are locked away in my head somewhere. 🙄

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would have been a regular at pub quizzes when I lived in Scotland & would probably have TV from the 70's & 80's as well as music as my favourites. Since I moved to Ireland though I ditched watching TV or getting newspapers. In terms of music I started going to far more gigs & downloading way more music but it was generally obscure stuff. I also had a shorter attention span and rather than invest in the stuff I had (learning & remembering) I'd be always on the look for new things. So no telly, no papers, no attention span, so with that my general knowledge has dwindled to nothing...

Most of my reading is either non duality & conscious awareness or vegan cooking....Non which I think will turn up as subjects in future pub quizzes should I attend.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Or Casualty. Scottish actors will have been in Taggart.

@hibs.net private member
    Can anyone do long division any more ? Or use a slide rule. The things lost to youth....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Can anyone do long division any more ? Or use a slide rule. The things lost to youth....
    Nope, don't remember ever being able to do it. 😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Or use a pen and a piece of paper to write.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Or use a pen and a piece of paper to write.
    I'm really struggling to sign my own name these days, I do it so rarely.

On things I'm rubbish at, remembering people I should probably know but seem to have eliminated from my memory. I met a woman on the till at M&S a couple of years ago who recognised me from primary school, said we'd been in the same class for years. She knew my name and family and so on. Not a scooby.

@hibs.net private member
    I think it was Kerri Godliman on Mock the Week that said "I'm PC Every British Actor's First TV Gig and this is Sargent Too Ugly For Hollyoaks" during Scenes we'd like to see.