hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd probably take Dylan back but I can't say my heart goes out to him for not being welcomed back by Paul Heckingbottom. It's the risk you take when you walk out on a bosman like he did. You can't just go away and then think to yourself "at the very worst I can go back to Hibs, I done well there" Fast forward 12 months and the new gaffer doesn't owe you anything nor does he think you suit his style of play.

Good luck to you in Aberdeen Dylan because you won't be allowed to play like we know you can up there.
    I would love him to come back but I do agree with you too. Dylan with a ball at his feet, loved is his best playing football. He took the gamble and it’s not happened. He loves the club but it’s the risk he took.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If we're in a position to turn down Dylan McGeouch, we must be in a far stronger position than I thought.

Fantastic player.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    If we're in a position to turn down Dylan McGeouch, we must be in a far stronger position than I thought.

Fantastic player.
    Have we turned him down do we know if he even wanted to come back to Hibs?

Coaching Staff
    This love in for McGeoch is based purely on his last injury season in which he played well while running down his contract & stalling on signing a new one. Prior to that repeated injury kept him out the team & on the treatment table to the extent that there were calls on here to ditch him.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I've said this a few times now, but if he does sign for Aberdeen I'll be interested in how he does for them. Given their "style" over the past 2-3 seasons I'm not convinced he's a great fit for them.

As for coming to us he's not what we are missing from our midfield. We need a genuine defensive midfielder to bring more balance, that's not and never has been McGeouch IMO. Given the choice I'd prefer Omeonga, although even he isn't a genuine DM.

I've never got the love-in with McGeouch, a decent player who could be even better given his talents if he showed more ambition in his play. He's not a playmaker as some describe him., but a good link player. Asides from anything he's very injury prone, we got one good season out of four where he managed to play a significant number of games - it appears he was back to missing games through injury again last season.

Would I worry about coming up against an Aberdeen side with McGeouch in it ? No, not at all.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This love in for McGeoch is based purely on his last injury season in which he played well while running down his contract & stalling on signing a new one. Prior to that repeated injury kept him out the team & on the treatment table to the extent that there were calls on here to ditch him.
    No people love him because he was an excellent performer for us over 4 seasons, was part of our legendary cup winning team and was major part in helping to bring back the feel-good factor back to the club from Summer 2014 onwards.

Its not based purely on that, he was excellent for 4 years, a quick look at my post history and previous threads on him will show I've always believed he was a class player and vitally important to how Stubbs and Lennon played.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I agree. Hibs were very good for Mcgeoch, we raised his profile as a player and stuck by him through his lengthy period of "strains and sprains." He has undoubted qualities but I'm not convinced that he'd be a good investment. Let's face it, he didn't exactly set the heather on fire when he went south albeit the experience will have fattened his wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Let's face it, he didn't exactly set the heather on fire when he went south albeit the experience will have fattened his wallet.
    IF he was to sign he'd be partnering in midfield with Mallan and Allan who equally didn't set the heather on fire when they went south.

I'm bewildered by anyone not wanting Dylan back. Or perhaps it is more a case of 'dont want him anyway' as he looks like going elsewhere. Dylan was excellent at Hibs. Made things tick and was the link between defence and midfield. To the extent than some rated him higher that McGinn. Its amazing the short memories Hibs fans have.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    I'm bewildered by anyone not wanting Dylan back. Or perhaps it is more a case of 'dont want him anyway' as he looks like going elsewhere. Dylan was excellent at Hibs. Made things tick and was the link between defence and midfield. To the extent than some rated him higher that McGinn. Its amazing the short memories Hibs fans have.
    I'm in the love to have him back camp but also in the I have to trust the manager camp

good though dylan is, i dont think he fits heckys vision...and those at the q @ a at hibs club hecky was pretty lukewarm and just said we were aware of him, appeasing the dylan fans was my take and after that never expected us to move for him

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    I'm in the love to have him back camp but also in the I have to trust the manager camp
    Oh I get that. I have total trust in Hecky. My suspicion is he doesnt want him due to his injury record rather than talent. But reading the above you would think he wasn't actually all that great for Hibs (must have been watching a different McGeouch than me).

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigiehibs View Post
    good though dylan is, i dont think he fits heckys vision...and those at the q @ a at hibs club hecky was pretty lukewarm and just said we were aware of him, appeasing the dylan fans was my take and after that never expected us to move for him
    I suspect you are right. Yet we know Dylan better than PH does - watched him many more times . If PH wants a ball retention , moving and passing midfield..Dylan would fit right in ....

btw id like 2 be proved wrong but doubt i will be

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    Have we turned him down do we know if he even wanted to come back to Hibs?
    This what sometimes happens here that we have missed out on a player that we were not looking to bring in and we get all pissed off about it. If we want him then we will make offer irrespective if anyone thinks how good he is.

IMO I rate him highly and wouldn't mind him here but PH signs the players and plays the systems so his call and I am interested to see what his signings bring to table maybe PH thinks players we bought or are looking at are better.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I worry about Heckys vision if it's a vision where a player of Dylan McGeouch's quality doesn't fit in

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I worry about Heckys vision if it's a vision where a player of Dylan McGeouch's quality doesn't fit in
    But how? If he’s got a system in mind and mcgeouch doesn’t fit in to that we’d be back to filling round holes with square pegs like when Lennon was here

First Team Breakthrough Frank Moon's Avatar
    Loved him in the last season but when you look over the total time he was with us it was only really that season he did the business for us.
    He wanted to go which he was entitled to do but personally I’m not that bothered about getting him back as we have enough ball players and need more box to box robust ones.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Oh I get that. I have total trust in Hecky. My suspicion is he doesnt want him due to his injury record rather than talent. But reading the above you would think he wasn't actually all that great for Hibs (must have been watching a different McGeouch than me).
    I watched a helluvalot of him. My opinion has always been the same, decent but his contribution to the team was vastly exaggerated. Do you not think it's possible that our manager would rather have a midfielder who provides genuine defensive cover rather than one who links play between defence and midfield (which I've never been convinced is actually an essential role anyway as a decent defender can pass the ball to the midfield ?)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    But how? If he’s got a system in mind and mcgeouch doesn’t fit in to that we’d be back to filling round holes with square pegs like when Lennon was here
    Maybe a controversial view but I'd sell Mallan if it helped to get a mid 3 of mCGeough, Allan & Omeonga

An Aberdeen v Hibs game where McGeough is in red and Mallan in green risks being one where the team in red have the ball and we can't get it off them

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Maybe a controversial view but I'd sell Mallan if it helped to get a mid 3 of mCGeough, Allan & Omeonga

An Aberdeen v Hibs game where McGeough is in red and Mallan in green risks being one where the team in red have the ball and we can't get it off them
    Aberdeen will continue to sit deep, kick/hack/dive and counter attack their way to victory. They won’t be changing how they play, McGeouch in red or not.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    That's kinda what I mean. If Dylan isn't right for the system then I don't think the system is right to start with

@hibs.net private member
    Think that's unfair. It also took Hibs' managers a long time to get Dylan in his best position - the holding role. Stubbs used to play Fyvie there and Dylan on the right hand side of a diamond. He did well enough there but you could see he came into his own when Lennon brought in Allan and played Dylan in the holding role in a midfield 3

I think any team who plays Dylan in an alternate role will not see the best of him and wonder if that is what happened at Sunderland?

I remember the away cup tie at Starks Park in 2015-16 season when Hibs were really toiling. At half-time Dylan went to the holding role, Fyvie to the right of the diamond (IIRC) and Hibs were a completely different team with Dylan running the game. You know what happened next.

If PH doesn't fancy him fair enough and it might be that Ojo is still on the cards.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Think that's unfair. It also took Hibs' managers a long time to get Dylan in his best position...
    On the pitch regularly?

@hibs.net private member

I would too.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Aberdeen will continue to sit deep, kick/hack/dive and counter attack their way to victory. They won’t be changing how they play, McGeouch in red or not.
    The most important word in your post is Victory. I would happily adopt an 'Aberdeen' style of play if it meant we replicated their performances in the league over the last 6 seasons.

Our midfield was oustanding with McGinn, Allan and McGeough - some argued best trio in the country, definitley best outwith Celtic. All said we would struggle to replace losing players of that quality. Our entire season last year was passed off as 'what did you expect having lost thosd calibre of players' from many.

Signing Dylan would give us back 2 out of the 3 (McGinn will have to wait until we have 50 mill to spend)

Currently we are short in central midfield. Full of attacking players but not so much deep lying playmakers and a link from defence to attack. Also defensive midfield and box to box energy, drive, dig - call it what you will.

Given that and McGeough is proven at Hibs and would fit in seamlessly it would seem folly to not go in for him

Hope Heck proves me wrong (which in fairness he has done previously and had been doing a good job so far)

I would too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I watched a helluvalot of him. My opinion has always been the same, decent but his contribution to the team was vastly exaggerated. Do you not think it's possible that our manager would rather have a midfielder who provides genuine defensive cover rather than one who links play between defence and midfield (which I've never been convinced is actually an essential role anyway as a decent defender can pass the ball to the midfield ?)
    Time will tell who we have playing in that role and what style he wants us to play. Certainly when we had Dylan, Allan, McGinn we did not need a more defensive player in most games (I get we had Bartley for Hearts games etc). For me, he must have some cracking player in mind if he is going to be better than McGeouch.