hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Was Scottish cup win best ever?

I think I saw it before but unsure, I know that it has been won by clubs outside the top league but has it been won when the club outside the top league beat 3 clubs from the league above on the way?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Without checking, I'm happy to confirm that our win is indeed, The Best Win Ever.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Aye.

In all seriousness though, even when removing the green-tinted specs I can't think of a 'better' cup win than ours.

The whole narrative: the fact that we hadn't won it in 114 years; we are (whether we like it or not) a championship club who had beaten a host of SPL teams on the run-up to the final; heads were down after we had lost the LC final and eliminated as promotion prospects, and while there was still cautious optimism for the SC, another failure would not have come as a shock, and would have epitomised the entire season; going in as underdogs vs a relatively strong Hun side etc. For us to win it last season was actually pretty absurd.

There will not be another victory in Scottish football that comes close to rivalling the 21st of May. The sheer emotion at the final whistle will never be matched. How could it be? Even if we were to win the SPL it wouldn't come close to matching the 21st of May.

I challenge someone to be objective and come up with a cup win in Scottish football that is even close to as meaningful as ours.
    Last edited by SRHibs; 17-02-2017 at 04:36 PM.

First Team Breakthrough jarre1875's Avatar
    Hell yeah

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I saw it before but unsure, I know that it has been won by clubs outside the top league but has it been won when the club outside the top league beat 3 clubs from the league above on the way?
    Our record against premier teams last year was outstanding. If you add our last two fixtures against Rangers (who at that point were promoted) it reads:
    W 7
    D 3
    L 1

In a points scenario that's 24/33 or 2.18pts per game. Celtic won the title with 2.26pts per game.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I think East Fife are the only other club to have won it outside the top league.....1930 something. No idea who they beat on the way though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Dont forget Gretna very nearly won it in 2006 while a 2nd division club

For backdrop and drama there has never, and will never be, a better Scottish Cup final.... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by FC Leige View Post
    But they didn't.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    Our record against premier teams last year was outstanding. If you add our last two fixtures against Rangers (who at that point were promoted) it reads:
    W 7
    D 3
    L 1

In a points scenario that's 24/33 or 2.18pts per game. Celtic won the title with 2.26pts per game.
    So we nearly won that league as well.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    I am sure the 1986 final was better as it completed a double for a non OF team. I don't think that has ever happened before

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Will never, ever be topped.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityHibs View Post
    I am sure the 1986 final was better as it completed a double for a non OF team. I don't think that has ever happened before
    don't be silly. our win was definitely the bestest ever never to be repeated game of fitba' in the whole wide world there, just had to get that of my chest. we nearly got promoted, we also could or should have had a cup double, and settled for one.so damn close for a second tier team! Also, yes East Fife did the same in the 30's and I'm sure they actually did it twice while in a lower league. However, 2 clubs playing in a couple final while both were still in a lower league, has never been done until last year. Another first for Hibernian fc

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    BUT and a very big BUT they never!

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I doubt they were spending 2nd division wages though. Glad to see the back of them.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    100% the best ever. Last minute equaliser away to your rivals after looking down and out with ten mins to go? Yup.
    Winner in the replay against your rivals by a player that they released? Yup
    Picking ourselves up and winning the quarter final replay away at a ground that we have an awful record at 3 days after we were sucker punched in the last minute of the league cup final that we dominated? Yup
    Winning the semi final on penalties with a hero goalie who hadn't played in 18 months? Yup.
    More last minute heartbreak just days before the cup final in another tie that we deserved to win but didn't? Yup.
    Winning the cup final after being 1-0 up, thinking the unthinkable, going 2-1 down and thinking here we go again, equalising with ten minutes to go and then have your captain score a last minute winner to win the cup and break the countries most famous football hoodoo? Yup.

The only time I can imagine another teams set of fans have felt that kind of emotion that we did would possibly be the season Man City won the league with two late goals. Other than that I can genuinely say I doubt any fans anywhere have or will felt that level of joy that we did when Gray headed home.

Certainly most iconic Scottish Cup win ever. Motherwell v Dundee United 1991 a distant 2nd. A last minute winner in injury time to come back from the dead against all odds to win the cup for first time in 114 years sparking a mass pitch invasion and scenes all over Edinburgh. Couldn't make it up.

Football should actually be scrapped now as 21.05.16 will never be surpassed.

Left by mutual consent!
    On one youtube video a foreign national who's country he came from escapes me now but his comment summed it up nicely - "It was the perfect game of football".

Gotto agree with him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I doubt they were spending 2nd division wages though. Glad to see the back of them.
    Gutted they never won that game though. Google it if you dont know why

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll have to go for Dundee United vs Rangers

Surprise victory but also beating a Rangers team at the heights of its powers.

Motherwell vs DU is also up there.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    In terms of drama I can only think of Aguero Vs QPR in the final day and Liverpool beating AC Milan as being so dramatic.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    The fact that we beat the most hated team in the country in the final really put the cherry on the cake but we beat the holders at the time and our city rivals who were second in the league above us at the time and subsequently done everything they could to oust their manager after that despite the fact he was half decent.

Anyway yes it was the best ever.

It would take some extraordinary scenario for someone to top it.

The fact that it released the whole club from constant ridicule (merited or not) and destroyed every single thing our rivals held against us made it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Football should actually be scrapped now as 21.05.16 will never be surpassed.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    In terms of drama I can only think of Aguero Vs QPR in the final day and Liverpool beating AC Milan as being so dramatic.
    I'd throw in Man U v Bayern in the Champions League Final to win the treble. Still think there was more drama in our win though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
    The 1999 Champions League final wasn't bad for drama!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    It's almost bittersweet to know I'll never experience another day like 21st May in my life.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Certainly most iconic Scottish Cup win ever. Motherwell v Dundee United 1991 a distant 2nd. A last minute winner in injury time to come back from the dead against all odds to win the cup for first time in 114 years sparking a mass pitch invasion and scenes all over Edinburgh. Couldn't make it up.
    Well v Utd, the family final was definitely imho, the best Scottish cup final I'd seen............until 2016. paled into insignificance by a country mile.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    It's just not even up for debate.

I'll settle for re-posting two previous reflections on that glorious day.

Grown men cried for weeks, Gray, 92 became a magic number, Logan, 100 years of pain were washed away, Hanlon, a club was reborn, Fontaine, ordinary men became heroes, Fyvie, there really was Sunshine on Leith, McGeouch, Hibee families had the best parties of their lives, Stevenson, Angels Up Above were remembered and toasted, McGinn, 150,000 Hibernian supporters turned Leith Walk and Leith Links into a human river of green and white, McGregor, football fans all over the globe were in awe of 25,000 fans singing the best club anthem in the world, Stokes, people hugged and cuddled strangers in celebration, Cummings, political leaders of the UK and Scotland congratulated Hibernian, Gunnarrson, Kenny Miller had the class to step into the Hibernian changing room to congratulate the Hibernian players, Henderson, when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup we were there, Keatings, we stood for the entire game without noticing it, Stubbs, people prayed, Edinburgh saw one of the longest and most peaceful set of street parties it has ever had, 1,000,000 didn't become a magic number, #weargreen worked, it was a Time for Heroes, their defence was terrified because Stokesy was on fire, Hibee love was in the air, there was a harp back on the stand and Trainspotting 2 was being made, we Hibsed it 3-2, the emotion was indescribable, tattooists ran out of green ink, wee boys and girls went proudly into school as winners, we were on our way from misery to happiness that day, we had McGinn - super John McGinn I just don't think they understood, it was the 21st day in May of 2016, we had a younger team and while we didn't want to brag - we just wanted to say that the Scottish Cup was in the bag, Pat Stanton watched Hibernian win the Scottish Cup, nothing else mattered, we lived redemption and joy, as the Cup was lifted it was "At last, at last, at last", like Japanese soldiers in the jungle there were Hibees out celebrating long long after it was all over, everyone one of us always remembered exactly where we were when Hibernian won the Cup, we did finally win it and when we did we earned it the hard way - clean and fair, it was the greatest game in history and up in heaven they were giein the ba' tae Reilly.

It really was Glory Glory to the Hibees.

I don't think a film script could match the story. Over 100 years of waiting, relegated, the butt of jokes for every other club in the country, failing to get promotion while our city rivals won the league, getting to the final the hard way and beating Hearts on the way and the media expectation that we were turning up for the coronation of The Rangers on their return to the top league. Then a game where we take the lead, lose it and fall behind to set the stage for our inevitable collapse. Only to draw level and then the Hibernian Captain - the Captain for God's sake - scores two minutes into added time, at our end of the ground, to finally win the cup.

The Silence of the Yams is testament to the strength and depth of its impact. It will never be surpassed.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    It's almost bittersweet to know I'll never experience another day like 21st May in my life.
    But minus the last 5 minutes wasn't a brilliant game

I have a client who is a Man U season ticket holder / he enjoyed our game on the 21st May over his team Winning the fa cup over palace on the same afternoon. He has no connection to hibs other than football chat.

He said "both Rangers and hibs went out to win, palace and Utd went out not to lose."

We might not be the biggest or best club in the world but heck that final had something special even for the neautial