hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Media twisting things

I would stop all press to the sun and daily record, someone asked Ron Gordon about points deductions for covid breaches and he said he would not be opposed to that, it's now turned into Ron wants clubs to be deducted points and every other club calling us hypocrites.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    'There is no such thing as bad publicity';

is the notion that all mentions in the media aid a person's cause, even if they put them in a bad light.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by #2 Double Tap View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    'There is no such thing as bad publicity';

is the notion that all mentions in the media aid a person's cause, even if they put them in a bad light.
    On this occasion Ron quite simply got it wrong I am afraid.
    Experienced business man that he undoubtedly is he should have recognised a loaded question when it was put to him.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    I would stop all press to the sun and daily record, someone asked Ron Gordon about points deductions for covid breaches and he said he would not be opposed to that, it's now turned into Ron wants clubs to be deducted points and every other club calling us hypocrites.
    I heard that Lennon said something (predictably stupid) in the Daily Mail about "glass houses" re; our match being cancelled v Ross county.

Its not exactly the same as Bolingoli or the Aberdeen 8, neither was it competitive match.

Tomorrows chip wrapper..............

eta - Ron did say that he was open to the idea of points deductions - it was in the pre match interview before Well on Saturday - Hibs TV.

Its hardly a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1620 View Post
    Exp⁵erienced business man that he undoubtedly is he should have recognised a loaded question when it was put to him.
    He didn't get it wrong though. He gave an honest answer most folk not from the affected teams genetally agree with.

First Team Regular
    Experienced business man that he undoubtedly is he should have recognised a loaded question when it was put to him.
    he expressed his opinion, who cares if celtic, or any other club agrees or disagrees with him.

its not a mistake or something he done wrong........certainly not reason enough to start banning the media.

Literally every question he was asked was loaded though. I admire his honesty and openness.

As per it's been typically blown up for red top headlines.

He says, she says.... stuff. Most people ignore this kind of reporting.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    I was watching it live when the question was asked, I fully agreed with Rons answer then and still do now, there was nothing controversial about it

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by percy veer View Post
    Knee jerk reaction and a very hunnish/Jambo-esque approach to throw the toys out the pram and start banning folks.

The press will write what the press want to write. If people want to take what they read in a red-top at face value, that's up to them. It's all about selling papers, there are always going to be negative stories no matter what team you support (unless you're one of the smaller, lower league teams - stories about them don't generate so much interest these days).

Left by mutual consent!
    Leave this **** for hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    Knee jerk reaction and a very hunnish/Jambo-esque approach to throw the toys out the pram and start banning folks.

The press will write what the press want to write. If people want to take what they read in a red-top at face value, that's up to them. It's all about selling papers, there are always going to be negative stories no matter what team you support (unless you're one of the smaller, lower league teams - stories about them don't generate so much interest these days).

Aye ok

Left by mutual consent!
    Neil Lennon is a bit of a twat. Who’d have thunk it?

He should stick to managing his mid table club instead of worrying about the champions elect.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    He didn't get it wrong though. He gave an honest answer most folk not from the affected teams genetally agree with.
    Im not having that. That’s bollocks

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    I think this Celtic blog sums it up for me.

https://thecelticblog.com/2020/08/bl...d-controversy/

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    I am sorry but he got it wrong answering it the way he did. It was always going to provoke a reaction from the clubs involved. I am not concerned with NL having a go but how do we know it wasn’t in the back of Aberdeen’s mind when they decided to gazump us on the McCrorie deal? And of course people from non affected clubs would say yes let’s deduct points from them. Would you still be up for points deductions if for some reason one of our players was to commit a similar discretion?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    I am sorry but he got it wrong answering it the way he did. It was always going to provoke a reaction from the clubs involved. I am not concerned with NL having a go but how do we know it wasn’t in the back of Aberdeen’s mind when they decided to gazump us on the McCrorie deal? And of course people from non affected clubs would say yes let’s deduct points from them. Would you still be up for points deductions if for some reason one of our players was to commit a similar discretion?
    Tinfoil hat stuff.

p.s. Why should we care about those clubs?

I didnt hear much support from them when we got hammered in the press about redundancy consultations.

**** Aberdeen, **** Celtic - RG was asked a question, he answered it, you need to get over it.

Unsurprising. I tend to avoid the msm. Ron should just stick to Hibs TV.

First Team Regular StevesFamau5's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ImFamau5nStuff
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Neil Lennon is a bit of a twat. Who’d have thunk it?

He should stick to managing his mid table club instead of worrying about the champions elect.
    Are you allowed to say that? I was under the impression that 'Lenny' was the best manager we've had in the last few dacades and anyone who disagrees is a Jambo in disguise.

But yeah you're spot on, loves a moan and anything to shift attention away from his own failures.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ffs. It was our own team asking the qn....and there was nothing wrong with his answer. The general pubic and I include lennon in this really need to stop, breath and occasionally actually look for facts before spouting rubbish.

I seen this earlier after previously reading and then seen Ron’s interview.

Its actually school ground level of wee lassie sleakitness!! To quote one of our pals, it actually beggars belief.

I thought Ron was just being open and honest of questions asked of him. Hell mend him for that...

I agree with just ban the lot of the weegie press. Probably help our transfer dealings in and out as well.

Let Ron bash on with the honest answers I say.
    In the space of a week he has made sevco who “wouldn’t loan players”look daft,and said what everyone is thinking about Aberdeen and Bolingoli situation.
    I’d rather the owner engaged in the chat about the game ,than staying anonymous and quiet.
    Hibs are a club in an upward spiral under Ron Gordon,great bloke to have running the show.
    As for Lenny he should know better about the press manipulating conversations to start trouble.
    Last edited by tonyrougier123; 18-08-2020 at 04:24 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Tinfoil hat stuff.

p.s. Why should we care about those clubs?

I didnt hear much support from them when we got hammered in the press about redundancy consultations.

**** Aberdeen, **** Celtic - RG was asked a question, he answered it, you need to get over it.
    My My what is that last line all about!
    I am not having a go at Ron, merely suggesting my surprise that he was naive in responding to a loaded question in the way that he did. I think you need to go and have a lie down somewhere.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Surely this is not important, a trivial mistake ultimately irrelevant in the grand scheme of things?

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Nothing but s***stirring from the media.

RG specifically made the point during his interview that these types of sanctions would need be agreed by the clubs before any of them could be applied and they have presented this to Lennon as RG calling for Celtic to be deducted points to provoke a reaction which Lennon duly obliged by talking s***

As much as he has been baited into saying what he said I still think Lennon need to learn to shut up and know when to hold back in what he says to the media. I’ve thought that ever since he was with us with the way he hung individual players out to dry for various things but hiding and refusing to do post-match interviews after bad results that he was ultimately responsible for and his end of season tantrum about considering his position

I dont see this as a mistake and wee angry man Lennon can do one tbh. The breach at Celtic was unbelievable and smacks of very very poor management and leadership.

Should future breaches result in points deductions? ...yes!

I'm sure the scottish govt will appreciate this being floated as it demonstrates how seriously Hibs are taking their responsibility.

A bounce game mishap- where it sounds like we've been let down by the testing company (and made necessary changes) is entirely different to players ignoring quarantine and going out on the razzle dazzle when they've been expressly forbidden from doing so.

Ron Gordon 1 - 0 Neil Lennon
    Ron Gordon 1 - 0 Derek McHunnes

Solid victory for RG

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I wouldn’t ban any journalist from Easter Road, but I’d be charging them for a match ticket if they want to cover the match. Probably get free snacks as well I bet.

I agree with what he said and I think it is what most non celtic & aberdeen fans think

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Wonder who signed lennon up to Hibspass

I stand by my position. He did not get it wrong. He got it spot on. As for Lennon's reaction not Ron's problem. And the suggestion Aberdeen went out of their way to guzump us over McCrorie just to get back at us over his commemt....get a grip. The big boys world beckons for those who leave behind playground for the real world