hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Expectations need to be managed about the January window. It’s going to be hard to find clubs who want to let good players leave and good players who want to come. Good players know they can earn more at other clubs. (Unless we have a new wage structure planned).
    I made this point earlier. The club have placed a lot of emphasis on the failure of the summer widow being the key reason for our poor start to the league campaign.

January is a notoriously difficult window to do good business so there is going to be an element of sticking plasters on a ruptured artery to it. I think that puts the manager in a very tricky position. If we bring in 2 or 3 and he still can't get a tune out of what he has available then the club will start to think about making changes, regardless of what they have said before.

I'd be stunned if we got dragged into any kind of relegation fight, even allowing for our alarming current form, but if it even looks like we could miss out on top 6 and all the short and medium term financial implications that go with that then again they will think about acting. We can't afford no European football AND a further collapse in ST sales, especially as so much of our business plan centres around the latter.

Jack Ross is arguably in his most critical phase since becoming our manager. He has to arrest the current slump before it becomes a crisis, he has to muddle along to January and find a way to pick up a few points with what we have, he has to inspire a performance in the cup final and he has to see a swift improvement post January. It's in everyone's best interests that most of those things happen and we move forward with the consistency and stability that brings, if he fails on multiple of those fronts then he won't be here come the start of next season.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    So it's not being made out he had a worldy and you just made that up? thanks for clarifying my point
    You know what I mean. I’m sure you’ll maintain we were just unlucky. We seem to be unlucky an awful lot when it comes to failure to score goals. It’s not poor luck, it’s poor quality.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    You know what I mean. I’m sure you’ll maintain we were just unlucky. We seem to be unlucky an awful lot when it comes to failure to score goals. It’s not poor luck, it’s poor quality.
    Yes, we were unlucky to lose last night, that has nothing to do with the fact you were being melodramatic and saying things that weren't true.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes, we were unlucky to lose last night, that has nothing to do with the fact you were being melodramatic and saying things that weren't true.
    He did make a good point though and we were playing the worst team in the league.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    He did make a good point though and we were playing the worst team in the league.
    On current form, I would think we are possibly the worst team in the league.

We weren’t unlucky. We showed a lack of quality in front of goal. We’re toothless in an attacking sense with one notable exception.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    "This isn't a Ross out thread"

Proceeds to ask about manager getting sacked.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Maybe it’s just me but I get what the OP is talking about. Could probably have been worded better but when we’re on a 5 game losing run in the league and 2 very losable games ahead, i think even Ross’s biggest supporters might concede that there will come a time a decision would be made. The OP was asking how long that’ll be until that time comes if things don’t improve. I don’t think they were necessarily saying he should be sacked now.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Ross won’t go anywhere before the cup final. Probably won’t after either, whether we win or lose. He clearly has the backing of the CEO and owner and is getting January to try and sort out the mess of a squad he’s got.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I broadly agree with you.

If last night was a game in isolation then I think you can point to bad 'luck'. However it's part of an ongoing pattern. Our last 5 league games have seen us lose all 5 , fail to score in 3 of them, score 3 in total and concede 10. That's not all down to some supernatural misfortune, it's down to something we are doing wrong as a collective. If it's fine margins then we really need to be assessing why those margins are consistently favouring our opposition.

Ultimately luck in it's truest sense doesn't exist, it's something we attribute to good and bad experiences, there isn't someone controlling things that decides who is or isn't having things go in their favour on any given day.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    I'm not sure where you watched the game but from my vantage point behind the goals, we certainly weren't unlucky to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    I think the board have already sacked the man they blame for the lack of depth in the squad. That's why Mathie got his jotters.

I apologize as I might have been a bit hasty when I woke up for work. There has definitely been a few more than two great results.

I was just a little pissed off as I thought last night was a chance to show everyone we are a good football team aswell as a good off the ball team.

I thought off the ball was much better last night than it has been in previous months but just not enough cutting edge unfortunately.

I still love Hibs!!

We got 3rd last season not by playing great attacking football but by turning games last night into scrappy hard fought wins. We are an average half decent team with a couple of match winners, we got the fine margins last season but they are now going against us.

Only way to make sure fine margins don't come into play is get better players

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Comparing Sunday to last night is a bit disingenuous, rangers played an attacking game which allowed hibs to counter attack, Ross County played the counter attacking game, sitting in when they didn't have the ball.

We created a few chances in the first half but couldn't convert them. Had any one gone in the game changes. As it is, not scoring, and the longer the game went, it gave Ross County confidence.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    Was we great last night? No Was we terrible? No.

Put in average performances then you will get average results which unfortunately is becoming the norm again for Hibs.

Really can't see Ron sacking Jack any time soon unless we have a really bad December which on paper don't look great for us.

Two good results in 18 months is not great but I will always support Hibs and the manager come kick off.
    Didn't realise that! JR out!!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    I apologize as I might have been a bit hasty when I woke up for work. There has definitely been a few more than two great results.

I was just a little pissed off as I thought last night was a chance to show everyone we are a good football team aswell as a good off the ball team.

I thought off the ball was much better last night than it has been in previous months but just not enough cutting edge unfortunately.

I still love Hibs!!
    That’s fair. I’ve not seen much from last night but it sounds like it was better than pre-covid outbreak up until the county goal. As has been said, take our chances at 0-0/first half and the entire tone/atmosphere amongst the support is different.

What really sticks in my throat is that we finished 3rd last season by a considerable distance and got to the Scottish Cup final. It's an absolute scandal that we didn't build on that from a position of strength and improve the squad sufficiently in the summer transfer window. Especially when we knew we were going to be stretched with the extra European games. The prize for 3rd this season is huge and we're miles off it. Mathie has paid the price but it's unbelievable he has lost his job from the position we were in.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    That’s fair. I’ve not seen much from last night but it sounds like it was better than pre-covid outbreak up until the county goal. As has been said, take our chances at 0-0/first half and the entire tone/atmosphere amongst the support is different.
    Apart from hitting the post, i'm trying to remember another decent chance we had in the first half. However, I do remember the sitter from the RC player that headed the ball wide when it seemed easier to score.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Apart from hitting the post, i'm trying to remember another decent chance we had in the first half. However, I do remember the sitter from the RC player that headed the ball wide when it seemed easier to score.
    Nisbet missed one easy headed chance and another that was slightly more difficult in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I made this point earlier. The club have placed a lot of emphasis on the failure of the summer widow being the key reason for our poor start to the league campaign.

January is a notoriously difficult window to do good business so there is going to be an element of sticking plasters on a ruptured artery to it. I think that puts the manager in a very tricky position. If we bring in 2 or 3 and he still can't get a tune out of what he has available then the club will start to think about making changes, regardless of what they have said before.

I'd be stunned if we got dragged into any kind of relegation fight, even allowing for our alarming current form, but if it even looks like we could miss out on top 6 and all the short and medium term financial implications that go with that then again they will think about acting. We can't afford no European football AND a further collapse in ST sales, especially as so much of our business plan centres around the latter.

Jack Ross is arguably in his most critical phase since becoming our manager. He has to arrest the current slump before it becomes a crisis, he has to muddle along to January and find a way to pick up a few points with what we have, he has to inspire a performance in the cup final and he has to see a swift improvement post January. It's in everyone's best interests that most of those things happen and we move forward with the consistency and stability that brings, if he fails on multiple of those fronts then he won't be here come the start of next season.
    Apologies if I repeated your point, I didn’t go back over the thread. What’s the archetype player(s) that Ross is looking for? Reliable veteran striker from down south wanting game time who we’d be willing to make a higher than average earner? (A Grant Holt type but better). Young highly rated defender from a big club who wants the experience that he’s not getting where he is? Both these players will cost more in wages than what we currently pay. It’s a big period for Ross but it’s also a big period for Ron Gordon. Decision time, stick or twist.

I broadly agree with you.

If last night was a game in isolation then I think you can point to bad 'luck'. However it's part of an ongoing pattern. Our last 5 league games have seen us lose all 5 , fail to score in 3 of them, score 3 in total and concede 10. That's not all down to some supernatural misfortune, it's down to something we are doing wrong as a collective. If it's fine margins then we really need to be assessing why those margins are consistently favouring our opposition.

Ultimately luck in it's truest sense doesn't exist, it's something we attribute to good and bad experiences, there isn't someone controlling things that decides who is or isn't having things go in their favour on any given day.
    I think we also need to wonder why a game against this Ross County side should be coming down to fine margins.

I’m not suggesting we should be putting 4 or 5 past them, but I’d like to think that if we have serious aspirations about finishing in the top 4 then we should have enough of a cutting edge to be able to take a lead and then to be able to defend it thereafter. It doesn’t have to be easy but in Ross County we’re talking about a side who are having a poor season and we should at least be getting the job done.

At the moment I feel we are at a similar level to them - and that is not a good place to be at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    What really sticks in my throat is that we finished 3rd last season by a considerable distance and got to the Scottish Cup final. It's an absolute scandal that we didn't build on that from a position of strength and improve the squad sufficiently in the summer transfer window. Especially when we knew we were going to be stretched with the extra European games. The prize for 3rd this season is huge and we're miles off it. Mathie has paid the price but it's unbelievable he has lost his job from the position we were in.
    The worst part is Ross himself was calling it out from very early on.

He's someone who is usually very diplomatic in his interviews but he made very barbed comments about our lack of depth on at least 2 occasions, most notably after the European exit. At a time when a lot of fans, myself included, were peddling the 'these things take time', 'don't panic, we'll get stuff over the line' cliches, the manager was actively calling out the club publicly.

I'm not sure what went wrong in the summer. Reading between the lines it seems the failure to sell at least one of our assets was an issue, it also seems our approach to recruitment has been a bit disorganised and almost scattergun previously. Whatever the reasons it's incredibly frustrating that we have regressed from the position we were in, particularly when you consider the rewards for a 3rd place finish this year.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    The highlights show at least 1 Nisbet header and by all accounts there was another one. From the highlights, the one that hit the post was a very good chance too!

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    "This isn't a Ross out thread"

Proceeds to ask about manager getting sacked.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    I wasn’t directly calling for it, I was trying to have an open discussion on how long this can carry on but I can see it’s descending into a bit of a farce with comments like yours

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Apologies if I repeated your point, I didn’t go back over the thread. What’s the archetype player(s) that Ross is looking for? Reliable veteran striker from down south wanting game time who we’d be willing to make a higher than average earner? (A Grant Holt type but better). Young highly rated defender from a big club who wants the experience that he’s not getting where he is? Both these players will cost more in wages than what we currently pay. It’s a big period for Ross but it’s also a big period for Ron Gordon. Decision time, stick or twist.
    I would be surprised if the removal of Mathie and the public savaging of the summer business wasn't at least run by Ron Gordon, if not necessarily instigated by him.

I think that potentially puts him in a position of having to be seen to deliver in January to get us out this mess and the next summer to really have us kick on. A couple of signings in the mould you suggest would be a good start.

A lot has been made about us being on the verge of something special, close to kicking on etc etc. I think the next 2 transfer windows will go a long way to getting the fans to really believe that.

The worst part is Ross himself was calling it out from very early on.

He's someone who is usually very diplomatic in his interviews but he made very barbed comments about our lack of depth on at least 2 occasions, most notably after the European exit. At a time when a lot of fans, myself included, were peddling the 'these things take time', 'don't panic, we'll get stuff over the line' cliches, the manager was actively calling out the club publicly.

I'm not sure what went wrong in the summer. Reading between the lines it seems the failure to sell at least one of our assets was an issue, it also seems our approach to recruitment has been a bit disorganised and almost scattergun previously. Whatever the reasons it's incredibly frustrating that we have regressed from the position we were in, particularly when you consider the rewards for a 3rd place finish this year.
    Yup. Remember watching the Sunderland documentary when he was adamant that the club shouldn't be signing the boy Grigg. If he was making noises in the press about needing to strengthen the squad then he would have been pretty vocal about it behind the scenes. You could tell how frustrated he was about it. I'm not putting too much hope on January but i hope the club do everything they can to give him what he wants.

What's very frustrating is Sunday proves there's a performance in the group, yet they cannot make that the standard and produce it on a regular basis, as Keane would say "DO YOUR JOB".

Who would folk recruit in his place?

Dunfermline hadn't won a game since July until JH was appointed.

Look at the names of the Championship managers - plenty experience but couldn't be our market (JH the only one I would consider).

John Hughes
    Dick Campbell
    Ian McCall
    John McGlynn
    Tommy Wright
    Billy Dodds
    Jim Duffy
    David Hopkin
    Alan Johnston

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Spartacus View Post
    What's very frustrating is Sunday proves there's a performance in the group, yet they cannot make that the standard and produce it on a regular basis, as Keane would say "DO YOUR JOB".

Who would folk recruit in his place?

Dunfermline hadn't won a game since July until JH was appointed.

Look at the names of the Championship managers - plenty experience but couldn't be our market (JH the only one I would consider).

John Hughes
    Dick Campbell
    Ian McCall
    John McGlynn
    Tommy Wright
    Billy Dodds
    Jim Duffy
    David Hopkin
    Alan Johnston
    Derek McInnes

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I do think that if a quality manager was to become available (and I do think Steve Kean is here for the youth development role so not him) and our league form was to continue then JR would have something to sweat about.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    Derek McInnes
    Oh god no.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction