hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scotland Right Back solution staring us in the face (NHC)

James Tavernier has been living in Scotland for 5 years so could now be eligible to play for Scotland.
    He has matured into a very good player and would be a big upgrade on the current incumbent Stephen O Donnell.
    A leader, athletic, great crosses, great engine.
    Him on one side and Robertson on the other would make us more of a threat to other teams.
    Folk will get the hump because he plays for Rangers, didn't shake hands with Porteous and is English but small countries need to be pragmatic if they are to break down the massive disadvantage of a small population.
    Tavernier would fill a problem position in the current Scottish team at a time when we have a chance to get to tournaments.

Tin hat on!
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-10-2020 at 01:02 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'm sure British teams have an agreement that the residency rule can't be used.

What makes you think he is eligible?

This story was run a year ago, and the view then was residency only applied to under 18s.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure British teams have an agreement that the residency rule can't be used.
    They got round it for Andrew Driver.
    What a waste of effort that was.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Paul McGinn is an even more obvious contender IMO

I think there is a residency agreement between us and England although the English have not always adhered to it in the past. Has improved since that day in May. I don't think John Barnes fulfilled the criteria to play for England at the time.
    Last edited by gbhibby; 19-10-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    What makes you think he is eligible?

This story was run a year ago, and the view then was residency only applied to under 18s.
    There are all manner of nationalities playing for other country and most seem to be on a fairly tenuous link.
    South Americans playing for Spain. Africans playing for France, Belgium and even Poland.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    They got round it for Andrew Driver.
    What a waste of effort that was.
    I believe he wasn't schooled for long enough here but we reduced the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Paul McGinn is an even more obvious contender IMO
    Like Stephen O Donnell he is a good club player but he isn't going to add the dimensions to the Scotland team that Tavernier would.

Tavernier also has the advantage of having played high level European football over the last few years which McGinn hasn't.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 19-10-2020 at 01:14 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Tavernier would be amazing for Scotland.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I don’t care what other countries do, I’d rather we picked Scottish players, you don’t have to be born here to be Scottish but if you don’t consider yourself to be Scottish then get tae ****.

If you asked Tavernier what nationality he was he’d say English. It’s just no for me.

James Tavernier has been living in Scotland for 5 years so could now be eligible to play for Scotland.
    He has matured into a very good player and would be a big upgrade on the current incumbent Stephen O Donnell.
    Him on one side and Robertson on the other would make us more of a threat to other teams.
    Folk will get the hump because he plays for Rangers, didn't shake hands with Porteous and is English but small countries need to be pragmatic if they are to break down the massive disadvantage of a small population.
    Tavernier would fill a problem position in the current Scottish team at a time when we have a chance to get to tournaments.

Tin hat on!
    Tavernier would be an upgrade for Scotland but he isn't eligible to play (and can't become eligible) under the existing framework.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Don't know what the rules are but if possible and he wanted to then that would seem like a good idea.

He seems to have stitched himself back together well since 21516.
    Mon the Hibs.

I wouldn't call Stephen O'Donnell incompent. Think he is decent player to be fair. Surprised he ended up at Motherwell.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    I wouldn't call Stephen O'Donnell incompent. Think he is decent player to be fair. Surprised he ended up at Motherwell.
    He's not international standard and is generally the poorest player on the pitch when playing for Scotland.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    He's not international standard and is generally the poorest player on the pitch when playing for Scotland.
    I don’t disagree with your general point, but he has been part of a team and defence that is starting to look more than the sum of its parts, and difficult to beat. I don’t see many better options than O’Donnell at the moment IMO.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I don’t disagree with your general point, but he has been part of a team and defence that is starting to look more than the sum of its parts, and difficult to beat. I don’t see many better options than O’Donnell at the moment IMO.
    True, and there isn’t. 👍

Tin hat on!
    Tavernier is far better going forward than defending, which he can still be dodgy at imo.

And as a Scotland defender he's going to be defending a lot more than at Rangers, generally against a better standard of player. I don't think we pick defenders on their attacking abilities.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Tavernier is far better going forward than defending, which he can still be dodgy at imo.

And as a Scotland defender he's going to be defending a lot more than at Rangers, generally against a better standard of player. I don't think we pick defenders on their attacking abilities.
    He's fantastic for them in Europe also. He's turned into an excellent player.

He's fantastic for them in Europe also. He's turned into an excellent player.
    No ****in way it would be like selling your soul to the devil, dont care if we never win another game rather than allow this kind of ***** to happen, **** far better Hibs players in the past never even got a cap.

There are all manner of nationalities playing for other country and most seem to be on a fairly tenuous link.
    South Americans playing for Spain. Africans playing for France, Belgium and even Poland.
    It’s a lot more straightforward for other countries though because they have passports of the countries they represent.

Tavernier doesn’t have a Scottish or English passport - he has a UK one, hence the reason for different citizenship rules - as citizenship in the FIFA concept is relatively meaningless for the UK teams.

@hibs.net private member

and yet he was pivotal in creating our goal in the last game.....

Coaching Staff

Tin hat on!
    Not top of the list of things I’m worried about making happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    and yet he was pivotal in creating our goal in the last game.....
    and had an assist the game before.

He would be a upgrade but it wouldn’t sit well with me.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Like Stephen O Donnell he is a good club player but he isn't going to add the dimensions to the Scotland team that Tavernier would.

Tavernier also has the advantage of having played high level European football over the last few years which McGinn hasn't.
    Irrelevant though, cos he isn't eligible.

Just because someone is a captain it doesn't make them a leader. He's lead them to exactly **** all in 5 years.

Has Tavernier even expressed an interest in playing for Scotland?

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Has Tavernier even expressed an interest in playing for Scotland?
    No, but he's begged the FAI for a call up as it's the only nation that can guarantee he won't be run ragged by Stokes.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    He's ****ing rank. Would get found out big time at international level as he can't defend. He will also go down in history as the most losingist Hun captain of all time