hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I really think we need a game and a defeat to pull the fans together again 😉

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'd like us to sign Lee, but I'd like to see the deal first before I could say if it was worth it or not.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not casting doubt but I does surprise me how porous the walls much be around players earnings across Scotland and the UK. Is it agents leaking pure unchecked speculation with pundits having a bash too or are players just big mouths?

All of the above.

If you think how many people are directly involved in the transfer of a player, plus agents wanting to talk up the value of their clients, plus players keen to know how their contract compares with their team mates, it’s no surprise that information leaks out.

Of course some of it will be wild speculation, and weirdly often ignores things like bonuses which could dramatically alter the size of a contract.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Leigh’s actual earnings have been a lot lower than speculated this season, because he’s not been on the pitch to earn those goal bonuses.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    ^^Agreed.

A colleague of mine is literally just off the phone to a Championship player.

He knows exactly what his earnings and outgoings have been over the last few years and what he’ll earn over the next 18 months or so.

He’s not about to go sharing that info on Twitter or anything but as you say, plenty people will know what players earn and some of it might end up on forums or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Ok, when did he last score 20 league goals?
    Well he has scored 25 League goals in the last four seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Well he has scored 25 League goals in the last four seasons.
    Surely not?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    For anyone who thinks Brown or Griffiths aren’t as good as what we’ve got - Brown is heading for 40+ appearances for Celtic this season. Griffiths has made 20.

Do people genuinely believe Newell, Gogic, Irving, Nisbet or Doidge would have played more than that?

I would be surprised if all 5 of them would manage 20 games for Celtic in a season combined. And on the flip side of that, does anyone genuinely think Griffiths or Brown would be sitting on the bench whilst these guys play at Hibs even though they’ve made plenty appearances for Celtic?

Surely not?
    Well he has scored 37 in all competitions over four seasons.

25: Premiership
    2: Scottish Cup
    4: League Cup
    6: European

All in a total of 111 appearances.

Blog Entries
    All the discussion about Brown, who will never play for Hibs again, and Griffiths, who is unlikely to play for us in the foreseeable future, appears to have sparked comparisons with our present players and painted them in a sort of negative light, which I don’t think they deserve. Ok, they don’t have the emotional and sentimental attraction that the two former Hibs players seem to have and, yes, Brown and Griffiths are very good players, but there is no need to talk down the players who have got us into an excellent position this season and who will hopefully take us into a new and successful season. Some of the very recent comments by so-called Hibs supporters on social media about our present players are unbelievable. For example, there are folk there saying that Gogic is garbage. C’mon.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    All the discussion about Brown, who will never play for Hibs again, and Griffiths, who is unlikely to play for us in the foreseeable future, appears to have sparked comparisons with our present players and painted them in a sort of negative light, which I don’t think they deserve. Ok, they don’t have the emotional and sentimental attraction that the two former Hibs players seem to have and, yes, Brown and Griffiths are very good players, but there is no need to talk down the players who have got us into an excellent position this season and who will hopefully take us into a new and successful season. Some of the very recent comments by so-called Hibs supporters on social media about our present players are unbelievable. For example, there are folk there saying that Gogic is garbage. C’mon.
    I’m sure they’ll not be massively offended at it being suggested they’re not as good as one of it not the most successful Celtic player ever and/or Griffiths who has had an outstanding career and is still only 30 years old.

Saying they’re not as good isn’t a put down when you’re comparing them to who they’re being compared to.

I dont believe you, he's a 20 goal a season man, guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    That us all very hypothetical as LG just doesn't seem willing or able to be fit enough to play a decent number of games. Also he wouldn't bring the overall game that Doidge does. If he is out the team and replaced with LG it means extra defensive duties for other members of the team
    LG from a few years ago? Yes please, bite your hand off for that. LG of today? Not so sure, could be a very expensive bench warmer
    Griffiths maybe wouldn’t win as many headers as Doidge but, if fit, his all round game is far superior. Same number of goals this season despite 17 less appearances and a handful of starts as well.

But I do have my doubts that he’ll ever be fit and playing every week ever again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m sure they’ll not be massively offended at it being suggested they’re not as good as one of it not the most successful Celtic player ever and/or Griffiths who has had an outstanding career and is still only 30 years old.

Saying they’re not as good isn’t a put down when you’re comparing them to who they’re being compared to.
    I see where you’re coming from Calum and can’t really disagree, it’s just that I get the impression that the disappointment of seeing Brown and Griffiths going or possibly going to another Scottish club is grounds for questioning the quality of our players. If Griffiths does end up at Aberdeen, I think there could be a real backlash against the club, when realistically, we probably are/were never remotely in the ballpark financially to compete with others.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s the sort of thing that stops people posting.
    If only it was that easy!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    If it was the Leigh from 2016/17 I would say push the boat out, pay as much as he wants and get him into Hibs squad for next year. The thing is, it isn't the Leigh from then, it is Leigh 2021, who has played in 31 games and scored 6 goals. The last time he scored 20+ in a season was 2016/17, his record since then has been, for a Celtc striker (ie the striker getting the best service in the league) is pretty terrible.

2017/18 - Played 40 Scored 11
    2018/19 - Played 20 Scored 4
    2019/20 - Played 38 Scored 12
    2020/21 - Played 31 Scored 6

These are figures for all games including European games. I think most strikers have purple patches in their careers, Leigh's was 2012 through to 2017, he scored 130 in 4 seasons. Like almost all strikers he will lose that touch or a wee bit of pace and that can make a huge difference to a player and it has shown in his recent seasons. Aberdeen might be a good move for Leigh, but I don't think it would be a good move for Hibs to try and get him again, he is 30, he is not getting any younger or fitter, he will not get that bit of pace or that touch back, I would go so far as to say he will never score 20 goals in a season again at this level. Leigh also doesn't fit our current 'philosophy' as laid out by RG. We are looking to youth, we should be ready to welcome our development players back in preseason to see if any are ready for the step up. We have a great young striker in Nisbet and some real prospects coming through the youth system. Sentimentally I would love to see him back in a Hibs strip but my head says otherwise.
    2020/21 - Played 31 Scored 6 - to put this in context Griffiths has hardly started a game this season but has come off the bench many times such that in the league he has actually scored a goal every 122 minutes. That is still VERY GOOD by any standard.

The main question for me would be can we get a regular 90mins out of Leigh over the course of a season? If the answer to that is yes then I would have no hesitation in signing him money permitting.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    If Griffiths can’t get himself fit and motivated to get to the euros with Scotland this summer I’d have my concerned about how motivated he’d be playing for us when he’d be in his comfort zone.

Might be brilliant of course but I’d have a few alarm bells ringing if we spent a lot of money on him (including his wages)

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    If only it was that easy!
    Indeed 😉

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    I'd like us to sign Lee, but I'd like to see the deal first before I could say if it was worth it or not.

Do you have a veto?

Quote Originally Posted by CockneyRebel View Post
    Do you have a veto?

I remember when there was another set of rumours about Leigh coming to Hibs on loan someone who works at the club laughed out loud that we’d be able to afford a player who makes ten times more than the highest earner at the club did at the time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I remember when there was another set of rumours about Leigh coming to Hibs on loan someone who works at the club laughed out loud that we’d be able to afford a player who makes ten times more than the highest earner at the club did at the time
    Maybe not 10 times more these days, but totally unrealistic to contemplate us affording Griffiths.

Maybe the romance just hasn't faded for me but I'd bite my leg off to bring Leigh home - financially indeed it's up to Griffiths now to decide whether he wants to carry on picking up a high wage or get back into regularly playing; if it's the latter then I would like to think Hibs could offer something to him and that he'd be interested, especially given that there's clearly space in the squad for a first team striker (not to discount Gullan/Shanley but having 2 and a half strikers in the squad between Nisbet, Doidge and Boyle just isn't enough strength in depth IMHO). Agree it would be a risk and it's also quite possible he doesn't fancy the pressure/attention etc. of coming back to play for us - which would be understandable in all honesty but I would be lying if I denied that a part of my soul would die seeing him in a sheep top

The biggest thing for Leigh is his kids and being close to them, I think he still travels to Glasgow from Edinburgh(outskirts) to be near them, one reason why Hibs may be a better option than Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    He thinks I'm a dick?

i can’t work out why you’re getting a hard time, you didn’t make the original comment about post count, you just elaborated on why post counts could be discussed in these situations

I’m glad it appears it’s not getting to you

I'd bring back the Griffiths we had in a heartbeat, but that version was a long time ago and I'm wary of paying big wages to someone who allegedly has fitness issues and whose recent form is nothing special.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    For anyone who thinks Brown or Griffiths aren’t as good as what we’ve got - Brown is heading for 40+ appearances for Celtic this season. Griffiths has made 20.

Do people genuinely believe Newell, Gogic, Irving, Nisbet or Doidge would have played more than that?

I would be surprised if all 5 of them would manage 20 games for Celtic in a season combined. And on the flip side of that, does anyone genuinely think Griffiths or Brown would be sitting on the bench whilst these guys play at Hibs even though they’ve made plenty appearances for Celtic?
    I’d like to have seen Brown back and exactly the type of mentality/experience we need.

I’d much prefer Brown/Griffiths to Gogic/Newell/Nisbet/Irvine. Not really much of a contest in all honesty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    I’d like to have seen Brown back and exactly the type of mentality/experience we need.

I’d much prefer Brown/Griffiths to Gogic/Newell/Nisbet/Irvine. Not really much of a contest in all honesty
    No use crying over spilt milk. Wipe these tears of regret away and get behind the guys who are already with us. .

I have to admit to being impressed at some of the people on here who seem to have inside knowledge of Aberdeen's finances. Personally I don't see why we coudn't outbid them for Griffiths if we wanted to go for him.

Testimonial Due

Exactly one goal every three games.

Leigh is what 30? Brown is six years older and definitely at the end of his playing career.

I'd take Griffiths back as he's got at least a couple of years before age really makes it impossible for him to play (at least for parts of games) at the top level. If he's got another year at Celtic on top whack then he's be probably best to take that - if he can get back in the first team squad then he'll probably get a one or two year extension.

Provided his body doesn't completely fail him I'd see what he wanted to do aged 31/32 - once his Celtic wages were a thing of the past.

Having said all that I could see him going to Aberdeen on loan as they can almost certainly pay a bigger proportion of his wages than we could - and because of the Brown connection.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    I have to admit to being impressed at some of the people on here who seem to have inside knowledge of Aberdeen's finances. Personally I don't see why we coudn't outbid them for Griffiths if we wanted to go for him.
    I don't know about this year, but recently Aberdeen's annual turnover has been a few million quid higher than ours and they have a much higher wage bill. It's all in published accounts.