hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We had performances like today last season as well. I’m sure we’ll have performances like the poorer ones we had last season, too.

Overall though, we’ve been steadily improving since the day Jack Ross set foot in the manager’s office.
    Course we have mate and this is the problem people seem to forget the performances last season and suddenly we were terrible and crap to ways which wasn’t the case. We had good and bad performances like we will this season

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    If you have one I’m open to it? Guessing by the lack of one you don’t? And that’s minus any sarcasm 😉
    McGregor should’ve started
    4-4-2
    Irvine wide left (he’s a CM)
    Didn’t learn from previous encounters against St.J
    Couldn’t motivate players during HT

There’s a few points seeing as you asked.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    Course we have mate and this is the problem people seem to forget the performances last season and suddenly we were terrible and crap to ways which wasn’t the case. We had good and bad performances like we will this season
    We were good loads last season.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    It’ll take silverware to convince some Hibs fans

Since Ross came in Hibs have taken the third most points in the league, behind Rangers and Celtic.

Everyone can criticise him for the odd poor result but the bottom line is we have improved massively under him. His signings are good, he develops players and is willing to give youth a chance.

Delighted he signed an extension and I just see us going from strength to strength.

Confident we’ll get the win on Thursday too.

We were good loads last season.
    We were at times But we look a different side this year.

The change in formation and the personnel changes in the middle of the park. We have more about us than we did last year. Three times in the last week and a bit we’ve been behind in games and three times we’ve come back, something we really struggled to do last year.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    What's promising that with each transfer window under Jack Ross we seem to get better and learn from what we've seen.

When he took over Hecky's squad we ditched the likes of Vela and brought in dynamic midfielders like Doherty and Omeonga. We also signed Paul McGinn for peanuts who provided the drive and work ethic that David Gray was no longer able to offer. He also started to get the best out of Newell, Doidge and Whittaker.

Covid stopped play, but we finally got a proper defensive mid in Gogic, a striker who could score a bucketload in Nisbet and Magennis and Murphy who although didn't set the heather on fire initially have since come into a game. Our defensive record was far more settled and we then added Cadden and Irvine in the January window (IIRC) who gave us more depth in key positions. Josh Doig was brought into the first team and was managed well to further his development.

This summer we've developed our midfield trio further in Doyle-Hayes and have looked to the future in Mueller. So far we've kept our key personnel but I get the feeling that if any of them leave we have targets in mind to not only replace them but improve the team. We've taken our steady but successful style from last season and added a bit of attacking flair and replaced Marciano with a keeper who appears to be a decent shot stopper at least.

Each window we've kept the good from what we did before and added something that was missing from it. We also have a mix of valuable experience and youth players who look as if they'll be very profitable. I also, for the first time since Stubbs, trust the manager and the recruitment team to use this money well to strengthen the team further when our best players do move on.

Hopefully this is a lesson that we need to give our management and football team time to develop their vision and sign well. Chopping and changing all the time and signing for the sake of it lead to our relegation in the past and the longer we can keep the key players at the club the better we're going to get.

I really hope that Jack Ross is at this club for years to come, I trust him from the evidence we've seen to keep our progress positive.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We were at times But we look a different side this year.

The change in formation and the personnel changes in the middle of the park. We have more about us than we did last year. Three times in the last week and a bit we’ve been behind in games and three times we’ve come back, something we really struggled to do last year.
    We played this formation at times last year too.

The midfield is doing well just now and the forwards are scoring. Getting an earlyish goal like today always helps.

I don’t think we are doing very much differently but we have a few more options available like Murphy and Magennis being closer to the players we expected.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Since Ross came in Hibs have taken the third most points in the league, behind Rangers and Celtic.

Everyone can criticise him for the odd poor result but the bottom line is we have improved massively under him. His signings are good, he develops players and is willing to give youth a chance.

Delighted he signed an extension and I just see us going from strength to strength.

Yup.

Criticised him myself a fair amount last season. Always happy to be proved wrong when it comes to Hibs and players/managers doing well.

I think it makes a huge difference seeing the team play in person as well. That and we've played some fantastic football so far this season.

Already buzzing to be back at ER for the next home game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Yes it will.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Agreed, but there's nothing wrong with silverware. As a club we should have way more than we do

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Seems to me that the vast majority of fans are 100% behind JR.

Keep playing like we've done so far and there will hardly be any criticism at all, but f we get papped off Hearts and lose a few on the bounce then he'll get it in the neck for a while.

Either way, he'll still have the vast majority on his side I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We played this formation at times last year too.

The midfield is doing well just now and the forwards are scoring. Getting an earlyish goal like today always helps.

I don’t think we are doing very much differently but we have a few more options available like Murphy and Magennis being closer to the players we expected.
    I don’t recall us playing this formation very often and when we did I don’t recall us playing it as well. We’ve tried it at times and quite quickly reverted to two strikers.

Playing Magennis centrally is getting the best from him. I think we’re playing at a better tempo and it’s down to having a better balance in the middle of the park, albeit it’s only been a couple of games. But it’s basically a new midfield.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    The change in temp stands out to me.

We seem to have a lot more drive and purpose, playing with a bit of a swagger.

Huge improvement on the early part of last season.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    The change in temp stands out to me.

We seem to have a lot more drive and purpose, playing with a bit of a swagger.

Huge improvement on the early part of last season.

Climate change improving the Hibees! who woulda thought!

O*

The key for us this season won't be JR it will be holding on to Boyle and replacing doig/ nisbet or both with decent players. Jack Ross deserves a lot of credit for how we have started though.

@hibs.net private member
    The problem we had last year and will see again this year is we have a team of footballers. The conditions right now suit our play. As long as I can remember we have suffered a slump in winter when the ball has to spend way too long in the air and teams of cloggers get away with more. JR managed that fairly well last year but third was touch and go for a spell. If he can safely negotiate the winter this year we will be moving forwards for sure.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 09-08-2021 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    What's promising that with each transfer window under Jack Ross we seem to get better and learn from what we've seen.

When he took over Hecky's squad we ditched the likes of Vela and brought in dynamic midfielders like Doherty and Omeonga. We also signed Paul McGinn for peanuts who provided the drive and work ethic that David Gray was no longer able to offer. He also started to get the best out of Newell, Doidge and Whittaker.

Covid stopped play, but we finally got a proper defensive mid in Gogic, a striker who could score a bucketload in Nisbet and Magennis and Murphy who although didn't set the heather on fire initially have since come into a game. Our defensive record was far more settled and we then added Cadden and Irvine in the January window (IIRC) who gave us more depth in key positions. Josh Doig was brought into the first team and was managed well to further his development.

This summer we've developed our midfield trio further in Doyle-Hayes and have looked to the future in Mueller. So far we've kept our key personnel but I get the feeling that if any of them leave we have targets in mind to not only replace them but improve the team. We've taken our steady but successful style from last season and added a bit of attacking flair and replaced Marciano with a keeper who appears to be a decent shot stopper at least.

Each window we've kept the good from what we did before and added something that was missing from it. We also have a mix of valuable experience and youth players who look as if they'll be very profitable. I also, for the first time since Stubbs, trust the manager and the recruitment team to use this money well to strengthen the team further when our best players do move on.

Hopefully this is a lesson that we need to give our management and football team time to develop their vision and sign well. Chopping and changing all the time and signing for the sake of it lead to our relegation in the past and the longer we can keep the key players at the club the better we're going to get.

I really hope that Jack Ross is at this club for years to come, I trust him from the evidence we've seen to keep our progress positive.
    Weve also moved away from having loan players

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    We had performances like today last season as well. I’m sure we’ll have performances like the poorer ones we had last season, too.

Overall though, we’ve been steadily improving since the day Jack Ross set foot in the manager’s office.
    Not for me. We had some good performances last season but from an entertainment point of view this season has been night and day. You just need to look at the match thread at half time yesterday to see the difference overall, to a man/woman the whole forum was waxing lyrical about how we were playing. I’m not sure there was any performances like that last season.

We look a considerably different team this season imo and it’s for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Not for me. We had some good performances last season but from an entertainment point of view this season has been night and day. You just need to look at the match thread at half time yesterday to see the difference overall, to a man/woman the whole forum was waxing lyrical about how we were playing. I’m not sure there was any performances like that last season.

We look a considerably different team this season imo and it’s for the better.
    It really hasn't been night and day. A bit better yeah, mainly because Murphy and Magennis are fit, though. The core playstyle is still very similar.

4-1 at Livi, 3-0 at St Mirren, 3-0 at Motherwell, 4-0 at Hamilton, 2-0 vs Aberdeen, runs in both cups (obviously vs lower league sides) were all as entertaining as anything this season. Since Ross has joined we've played good football and done well vs the poorer sides. In his first season 3-0 vs Aberdeen, 3-1 vs Motherwell, 3-0 vs Ross County all very good, entertaining Hibs performances.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It really hasn't been night and day. A bit better yeah, mainly because Murphy and Magennis are fit, though. The core playstyle is still very similar.

4-1 at Livi, 3-0 at St Mirren, 3-0 at Motherwell, 4-0 at Hamilton, 2-0 vs Aberdeen, runs in both cups (obviously vs lower league sides) were all as entertaining as anything this season. Since Ross has joined we've played good football and done well vs the poorer sides. In his first season 3-0 vs Aberdeen, 3-1 vs Motherwell, 3-0 vs Ross County all very good, entertaining Hibs performances.
    Na, not for me.

They were good results and performances but not as enjoyable to watch as the stuff we’ve been playing this season imo. As I said, I think the first 45 yesterday was the most entertaining we’ve been since McGinn left.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Na, not for me.

They were good results and performances but not as enjoyable to watch as the stuff we’ve been playing this season imo. As I said, I think the first 45 yesterday was the most entertaining we’ve been since McGinn left.
    We we're 3-0 up at Livi at half time 2nd match last season. Exactly the same posts were happening then.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We we're 3-0 up at Livi at half time 2nd match last season. Exactly the same posts were happening then.
    Still doesn’t change my opinion that we are much more exciting this season than last season.

I didn’t watch any games last season and come away as entertained as I did from that first half yesterday and I certainly didn’t see us play 3 games in a row where we looked very entertaining.

Left by mutual consent!

Hope he can deliver silverware.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Hope you can get behind him through the whole season.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

And we'll continue to have bumps along the way. We could have Pep managing us and we'd have them. It's the nature of the beast at a club with our budget. We don't have the resources of the OF and they're still getting beat. I just hope people see the bigger picture when the dust settles. We're continuing to improve under Ross.

@hibs.net private member
    That’d be brilliant. He’d then be up there with the handful of managers that have managed it previously.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    That’d be brilliant. He’d then be up there with the handful of managers that have managed it previously.
    What are expectations then?

So is he given the buffer of being benchmarked against past Managers and teams under achieving or after last season do we expect similar but better (a trophy)?

What would be an Excellent, Good and Average season?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Good summary he is incrementally making us better and better. His transfer market work has been very good imo and we are buying younger players that are keen to develop. Overall he has done an excellent job and will continue to do so. The transformation from Heckys last few games is absolutely night and day. Just shows what a bit of patience can do who would have thought it.

What are expectations then?

So is he given the buffer of being benchmarked against past Managers and teams under achieving or after last season do we expect similar but better (a trophy)?

What would be an Excellent, Good and Average season?
    The point is a lot of our most recent excellent managers never won silverware, Mowbray and Lennon for example so I'm not sure it's exactly fair to judge him on silverware. For example we might not win a cup this year but finish 3rd again and get Euro Group stages - that for me would be an excellent season