hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We don’t half have some snobs in our support. Don’t like the way O’Connor talks. Don’t like the matey way Ferry does interviews. Christ, these guys sound like Cambridge graduates compared to guys Iv stood beside at the fitba.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting to hear another player enthuse about "Parky".

Am I making this up, or did he occasionally get a bit of criticism from the fanzines in the "pre Hibs.net" era? I know he was a guy who was mainly associated with Hearts prior to his time with us.

Having heard some of the best players to come through our youths over the past 30 years speak so highly of him, surely Donald Park must be acknowledged for the very significant contribution he made to our club?

We've built a stadium and training ground off the back of selling players for large sums of money, he should surely be due a fair bit of credit for his role in developing the players who were sold for the big bucks?
    I've got a fanzine somewhere with an article outlining what someone heard from Donald Park at what I think was a youth game. He basically recounted what Park said and it came over as fairly outrageous (think it was lots of shouting and swearing at the kids) and the author said he should be shown the door as soon as possible. IIRC this was early at his first spell at Hibs and after a few years opinions changed to him being a very respected coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    We don’t half have some snobs in our support. Don’t like the way O’Connor talks. Don’t like the matey way Ferry does interviews. Christ, these guys sound like Cambridge graduates compared to guys Iv stood beside at the fitba.
    Mental isn’t it.

For me, the laid back approach is refreshing and is what makes the interviews. It’s not the generic questions and answers that we’ve heard one million times before.

Gives an awful lot of insight into the player, decisions they made and why they had the career they did.

Massive fan of the interviews as well as the podcasts, even though I can’t stand Kevin Kyle.

Left by mutual consent! KingPat4's Avatar
    Just watched the first fifteen minutes of the Gaz interview and it is hilarious. Boozy filling Lucazade bottles with vodka and getting pished had me spitting my coffee out.

Brilliant watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Mental isn’t it.

For me, the laid back approach is refreshing and is what makes the interviews. It’s not the generic questions and answers that we’ve heard one million times before.

Gives an awful lot of insight into the player, decisions they made and why they had the career they did.

Massive fan of the interviews as well as the podcasts, even though I can’t stand Kevin Kyle.
    I actually think Kevin Kyle comes across as a decent guy. Knows how big both Edinburgh teams are and whilst obviosuly has a fondness for his ex-employers, regularly speaks very highly of Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The Paul Hartley one is worth a watch too. Hearts were on £5k a man win bonus at one point for run of the mill SPL ganes
    Am I the only one that just listens to them on the podcast?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    I actually think Kevin Kyle comes across as a decent guy. Knows how big both Edinburgh teams are and whilst obviosuly has a fondness for his ex-employers, regularly speaks very highly of Hibs.
    Defo’. Jay Shields big brother played with him at Sunderland and said he was a top guy, looked after him big time when he went down from Raith and you can tell he likes hearts but never rips off Hibs.

Coaching Staff
    Agree he comes across as a good guy what rips my knitting is he falls under the 'Christian Dailly' bracket of having made a fortune from football and being less than bang average compared to other players. My bitterness knows no end

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Agree he comes across as a good guy what rips my knitting is he falls under the 'Christian Dailly' bracket of having made a fortune from football and being less than bang average compared to other players. My bitterness knows no end

Christian Dailly?

The same Christian Daily that got 67 caps for Scotland scoring 6 and 35 caps for the Under 21s scoring 5

Captain of Scotland 12 times

The same Christian Dailly that would walk into any HIBS team at the height of his career

I would take less than bang average every time

I still remember him booting the Dressing Room door after getting beat by Germany calling them cheating diving bassas and Bertie Vogts shouting after him “ Christian!”

Not that fussed about Kyle tbh took his ribbing at ER for being a jambo reject in good heart
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 19-02-2020 at 04:37 PM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Christian Dailly?

The same Christian Daily that got 67 caps for Scotland scoring 6 and 35 caps for the Under 21s scoring 5

Captain of Scotland 12 times

The same Christian Dailly that would walk into any HIBS team at the height of his career

I would take less than bang average every time

I still remember him booting the Dressing Room door after getting beat by Germany calling them cheating diving bassas and Bertie Vogts shouting after him “ Christian!”

Not that fussed about Kyle tbh took his ribbing at ER for being a jambo reject in good heart
    Totally agree. To speak of Dailly as "bang average" is quite bizarre. He played nearly 800 competitive games (including international appearances) in a long career. Whilst no world beater, he was a decent enough performer at a high standard of football most of his career. .

As for Si Ferry, I've never seen players so open and so willing to discuss their careers. Aye, it's a bit cringe inducing at times, so what? I'd rather watch his interviews than the boring nonsense put out in mainstream media. Nearly all the folk he interviews come across pretty well. I'll make exceptions for Davie Moyes and David Weir.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Totally agree. To speak of Dailly as "bang average" is quite bizarre. He played nearly 800 competitive games (including international appearances) in a long career. Whilst no world beater, he was a decent enough performer at a high standard of football most of his career. .

As for Si Ferry, I've never seen players so open and so willing to discuss their careers. Aye, it's a bit cringe inducing at times, so what? I'd rather watch his interviews than the boring nonsense put out in mainstream media. Nearly all the folk he interviews come across pretty well. I'll make exceptions for Davie Moyes and David Weir.

Spot on SFH

I have been a member of the Scotland Travel Club since the very beginning and I sort of know where the OP is coming from but Christian Dailly played at a time when we no longer had “world class” players and he was basically all we had as cover but he never let us down always gave 100% could get around a football pitch and was versatile and had bags of energy and enthusiasm for playing for Scotland almost scored a last minute goal at Wembley that would have taken the tie into extra time

Far from bang average imho would have taken him at HIBS in a heartbeat

Christian Dailly was a brilliant player even in his Dundee United days

Comes across as a decent guy and does speak well of hibs yeah but For some reason I just can’t take to him, don’t think he’s particularly funny and I think he quite often changes his views on something when he then hears Ferry’s opinion, which is odd considering he’s has a far more impressive career than Ferry.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Comes across as a decent guy and does speak well of hibs yeah but For some reason I just can’t take to him, don’t think he’s particularly funny and I think he quite often changes his views on something when he then hears Ferry’s opinion, which is odd considering he’s has a far more impressive career than Ferry.
    Aye he’s some boy, uh huh.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    I think Si Ferry is a bit of a yes man who just agrees with whoever is sitting next to him but there are some interesting stories so I still enjoy his interviews.

Testimonial Due
    Thought his speech a bit slow and not the brightest of sparks. But it down to the years of drug consumption. Put seemed a likeable guy.

Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I think Si Ferry is a bit of a yes man who just agrees with whoever is sitting next to him but there are some interesting stories so I still enjoy his interviews.
    So you think he should disagree with how they describe their personal experiences?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Thought his speech a bit slow and not the brightest of sparks. But it down to the years of drug consumption. Put seemed a likeable guy.
    Given that your two sentences are constructed so poorly, this has to be ironic?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    He does a great job at getting the ex footballers on his show and open up about their career. If it works then why change it? He’s not trying to be Pierce Morgan with hard hitting questions to damages souls, he’s asking ex footballers football story questions for football supporters imo.

I’ve been listening to more of these and I have to say I think they’re excellent.

I like his style - he lets the guest talk.

Ferry is from the same generation and background as his subjects and so puts interviewees at ease in a way that normal media types don't.

There's an undercurrent of class snobbery in the criticism of him.

Testimonial Due

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Given that your two sentences are constructed so poorly, this has to be ironic?
    Down to a small mobile screen, failing eyesight and punched out while downing a San Miguel in the blazing sun.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    There's no pleasing some folk, to be expected on here though tbf

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Soprano View Post
    There's no pleasing some folk, to be expected on here though tbf
    Indeed. Some on here seem to be at their happiest when they are hating on something/someone.

There's a podcast I watch on YouTube called Undr The Cosh. It's three English ex players, Jon Parkin being one, that do a great interview with ex players. Usually lesser known English lads, but a quality listen in the car. The Kevin Campbell one was really good.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    There's a podcast I watch on YouTube called Undr The Cosh. It's three English ex players, Jon Parkin being one, that do a great interview with ex players. Usually lesser known English lads, but a quality listen in the car. The Kevin Campbell one was really good.
    Leon Knight one is the greatest podcast ever 😂

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Leon Knight one is the greatest podcast ever 😂
    Ah Leon Knight, one of those Champ Man legends who wasnt very good.