hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I don't doubt players like Duncan were quick. But there is no way they'll be faster than their counterparts like Boyle or Sproule in the modern era. Better training, footwear, playing surfaces, diet etc will see to that.

Compare sprinters times from the 60s and 70s to now, they are slower. Also even in as short a space of time as 40 or 50 years, humans physical attributes will have changed e.g. keepers are on average far taller than they were then.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Nijinski. Arthur was fast when it was still legal to tackle at waist height. Scotland cap when it was difficult to get caps and in my playground comparison a Scotland caps outranks an Australian one. Sure Ivan managed an NI Cap. Loved him and Boyle but both have a long way to go to match Mr Duncan.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Sproule's the fastest I've seen. Remember seeing Arthur play a bit at the end of his career so obviously can't compare him to Ivan on that. Arthur I remember scoring seconds after kick off in one game at ER in the early 80s.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Hard to say who i/ was the fastest, but Arthur Duncan’ had by far the best Hibs career. His goals scoring ratio was fantastic and he’s made more appearances for Hibs than any other player.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we’re all serious and take nostalgia/current favourite player aside its absolutely Sproule. Guy was a bang average footballer who was one of our most dangerous players cos he had world class level pace
    Mind his half volley against the Huns into the Away end from the edge of the box? Superb strike.

There was a period he was unplayable.

Seem to remember Gareth Evans was no slouch
    Arthur Duncan my first favourite Hibs player

Boyle has a long way to go before he can be compared to Arthur Duncan.

For some reason thinking about Sproule brought back memories of Michael Hart, Aberdeen would regularly put him up against Sproule to nullify his speed as Hart had some pace, just our luck that when he signed for us his legs were well and truly gone.

Not the fastest, but I loved watching Crunchie, O'Neill and Harper in action. Weir wasn't at his best when I started going and I feel I missed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    George McNeill by far the fastest to ever play for Hibs!
    Correct but he never really got a game.

Duncan for me

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    I don't doubt players like Duncan were quick. But there is no way they'll be faster than their counterparts like Boyle or Sproule in the modern era. Better training, footwear, playing surfaces, diet etc will see to that.

Compare sprinters times from the 60s and 70s to now, they are slower. Also even in as short a space of time as 40 or 50 years, humans physical attributes will have changed e.g. keepers are on average far taller than they were then.
    Your argument does not really hold up as where are all the Scottish sprinters that are faster than Allan Wells of forty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I must admit never saw Baker Smith Reilly Ormond and I heard that the original Ally Macleod was no slouch either

I watch Boyle closely at games but I still keep going back to Arthur for sheer speed pretty sure he entered himself in the Powderhall Sprint on New Years Day

Wait one cotton picking minute I think I have just answered my own question:

George McNeill
    Peter Marinello was no slouch either, ran clear through the middle for those two goals at Ibrox October 69, which put us top [all too briefly].

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_ View Post
    Peter Marinello was no slouch either, ran clear through the middle for those two goals at Ibrox October 69, which put us top [all too briefly].
    Remember it well Ray

” Punchinello Rocks The Gers!”

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Arthur Duncan for me was the fastest winger i've seen, especially with the ball at his feet. Boyle has become a lot quicker with the ball, much quicker than Sproule ever was.

I'd say Sproule might have been quicker than Boyle in a race though, but put a ball in there and Boyle beats him hands down.

First Team Regular Topographic Hibby's Avatar
    Its Arthur for me. Loved watching him play (1979 SCF replay excepted!!).

Then its a tie between Boyle & Sproule. Maybe Ivan just ahead with the Ibrox hattrick. But not a lot to choose between them.

For me, absolutely no question it's Arthur Duncan....He was a whippet as he whooshed down that left wing.... and he could score goals too.
    Another poster said that modern players like Sproule, with better training etc were faster, but this is a nonsense, because we have to assume that Arthur Duncan, with improved training etc would be an even faster player than he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    For me, absolutely no question it's Arthur Duncan....He was a whippet as he whooshed down that left wing.... and he could score goals too.
    Another poster said that modern players like Sproule, with better training etc were faster, but this is a nonsense, because we have to assume that Arthur Duncan, with improved training etc would be an even faster player than he was.
    The quality of the pitches today would also be a major contributory factor.

Little mention for Chris Humphrey.

Alan O'Brien looked rapid, but surely has to be Sproule during his first spell.

If Erich Schaedler was a wing back would still be running!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Your argument does not really hold up as where are all the Scottish sprinters that are faster than Allan Wells of forty years ago.
    That probably says Scottish athletics hasn't kept up with other nations as they have progressed. Compare Olympic spinter times from then and now, and the conclusion is sprinters run faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    Yeah, that was me. But it's not nonsense, it's just stating a fact. Footballers are fitter now etc. So they will be better. That's not saying anying about their born abilities. But the original question on this thread was who was/is faster. And if a player from the 70s ,in their prime back in the day, went against a modern player, the modern player would probably win.

Sometimes on threads like this you get a lot of rose tinted spectacles. Were the Tornadoes a better team than todays? In the context of the day, yes. But if these teams played each other I would expect the current team to win. In the same way I'd expect an Andy Murray to defeat Fred Perry.
    Last edited by hibby rae; 15-02-2020 at 12:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Maybe it’s a generational thing

My father used to tell me the Famous Five were better than The Tornadoes

The Tornadoes would definitely wipe the floor with the current lot

Better organised better footballers every player a master of their position a better team imho

The Tornadoes were all different shapes and sizes not like today’s Adonis’s

Interesting too that all us oldies are instantly saying Arthur

There are plenty books and testimonials referring to Arthur’s speed and as others have said especially with the ball at his feet

First Team Breakthrough
    Ivan was the fastest I have seen in the flesh, however I believe defenders now have better pace than in his time. We don’t seem to have had many pacey players. Motherwell seem to have a new 1 every season

Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    George McNeill by far the fastest to ever play for Hibs!
    Indeed. Did he not become world professional sprint champion?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    If all were talking about is pace then in my time it’s sproule by a mile.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Yeah, that was me. But it's not nonsense, it's just stating a fact. Footballers are fitter now etc. So they will be better. That's not saying anying about their born abilities. But the original question on this thread was who was/is faster. And if a player from the 70s ,in their prime back in the day, went against a modern player, the modern player would probably win.

Sometimes on threads like this you get a lot of rose tinted spectacles. Were the Tornadoes a better team than todays? In the context of the day, yes. But if these teams played each other I would expect the current team to win. In the same way I'd expect an Andy Murray to defeat Fred Perry.

Older guys with today’s facilities, sports science, nutrition etc is a different story. But if it’s just purely an “as they were/are” scenario then teams now would be athletically miles ahead.

Today's game is awash with soft centred, mamby pamby wannabes who feign injury and roll about at the slightest touch and who wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes playing in the 60's and 70's.

They're more interested in their hair styles and prancing about in coloured boots thinking they're superstars when the majority of them aren't worth a fraction of what they get paid.

Football used to be a mans game, it's not any more, and there are very few now who would survive playing back then and many more who would have had very short careers.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Today's game is awash with soft centred, mamby pamby wannabes who feign injury and roll about at the slightest touch and who wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes playing in the 60's and 70's.

They're more interested in their hair styles and prancing about in coloured boots thinking they're superstars when the majority of them aren't worth a fraction of what they get paid.

Football used to be a mans game, it's not any more, and there are very few now who would survive playing back then and many more who would have had very short careers.
    You don't think the Tornadoes cared about their hair? A look at them tells me they did 😂

When you talk about it being a 'man's game', then yeah that is one thing that has changed. Think of the numbers of players back then who could have played for longer were it not for disgraceful tackles being allowed.

Do players receive a lot more protection these days? Yes. Is that a good thing? Overall, yes. Thank god it's no longer a man's game.

Considering the challenges going in on Boyle mid-week. If this was back then he would probably be targetted every week and, given his current injury history, likely would have to retire early.

You don't think the Tornadoes cared about their hair? A look at them tells me they did 😂

When you talk about it being a 'man's game', then yeah that is one thing that has changed. Think of the numbers of players back then who could have played for longer were it not for disgraceful tackles being allowed.

Do players receive a lot more protection these days? Yes. Is that a good thing? Overall, yes. Thank god it's no longer a man's game.

Considering the challenges going in on Boyle mid-week. If this was back then he would probably be targetted every week and, given his current injury history, likely would have to retire early.
    The Tornadoes may well have but wouldn't have to the extent of half the posers who prance about the pitch nowadays 🤣

I agree about the more protection being given nowadays and think there are a lot of so called superstars now who would have had very short careers had they played back then.
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.