hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Behave.

As for me looking for "the tiniest slight on Hibs at every opportunity to lambast fellow Hibs fans", I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense.
    I don't think he's talking nonsense and have seen it numerous times.

I often wonder what you make of the opinions and views on the other well known Hibs fans forum which are a bit more straight talking.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    So a user posts what is a strong rumour and that is questioned because he has 200 posts in 17 years?

His post was fair enough and a large portion of fans may want Griffiths back at Easter Road which if possible is a no brainer. The same fans will be potentially wanting Hibs to sign him if he's available and will then be wondering why not if the club dont sign him.

Hardly a negative post.
    Yeah good post, I think it's the frustration of Aberdeen nipping in ahead ahead of us with signings and now potentially having both Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths which if works for them could be great for them.
    Make your mind up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Make your mind up.
    About?

I don't think he's talking nonsense and have seen it numerous times.

I often wonder what you make of the opinions and views on the other Hibs fans forum which are a bit more straight talking.
    Give me peace. You're boring everyone.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Every Hibs fan likes the idea of Leigh returning, it’s a given. However, it would take a significant investment and that would represent a huge gamble, that’s also a given. In the current financial circumstances I struggle to imagine Hibs buying in to that.

Griffiths is under contract for another season. Celtc will have a new manager and he will no doubt want to see what Leigh can do. I’m sure Leigh himself would prefer to be at Celtic and carry on earning the money, which is going to be a hell of a lot more than he will get anywhere else. He’s close to the end of his career, He’ll not be going anywhere, anytime soon.

I don’t think anyone is paying a fee for Leigh.

More likely that Celtc will look to cut him a deal to get him off their books. But of course it all depends on the new manager and their plans.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah good post, I think it's the frustration of Aberdeen nipping in ahead ahead of us with signings and now potentially having both Scott Brown and Leigh Griffiths which if works for them could be great for them.
    Yeah I wonder if that will change with the new regime..Saying that we can comfort ourselves with the relative failure of those who they have apparently pinched so far.

Ive tried to think would I be bothered if either of them didnt have the links to the club they have had. Brown really wouldnt bother me, yes hes been great for Celtic but hes unproven as coach & who knows how he will fair in a team that doesnt have the talent cetic do. Leigh I still think could offer something but as Ive said I just think its too much of a gamble.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be amazed and somewhat disappointed if Griffiths was leaving Celtic and Jack Ross is not monitoring the situation. Leigh is well known to be Hibs daft and is an undoubted talent if something of a maverick genius. It may be of course that the financial aspect is prohibitive. Aberdeen have supposedly got bigger finances in place and they are DESPERATE for goals so have much more incentive to push the boat out than Hibs. If Hibs had a bottomess pit of cash then signing Griffiths certainly would be a no brainer though - we don't however, but we do have a different owner in Ron Gordon who does not seem as uber-cautious as the Farmer-Petrie regime we got so used to over the years. So I would not write off the possibility of Hibs making a move - although we clearly face stern competition for Leigh's signature in Aberdeen.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Ok, when did he last score 20 league goals?

2012 for us he got 20+ league goals, and has done it once for Celtc, 2015/6.

The "hes a 20 goal a season striker" is complete crap from people who havent got a clue.

There’s something about that typo that makes me feel a bit nauseous.

It’s ****ing Leigh

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    Yeah I wonder if that will change with the new regime..Saying that we can comfort ourselves with the relative failure of those who they have apparently pinched so far.

Ive tried to think would I be bothered if either of them didnt have the links to the club they have had. Brown really wouldnt bother me, yes hes been great for Celtic but hes unproven as coach & who knows how he will fair in a team that doesnt have the talent cetic do. Leigh I still think could offer something but as Ive said I just think its too much of a gamble.
    It’s probably the best way to look at it but I reckon I’d have loved both of them at Hibs now even if they hadn’t played for us before.

Brown will be an improvement on Aberdeen’s current midfield and would be an improvement on ours as well, albeit not necessarily long term. Would Newell, Gogic or Irvine have got so many minutes at Celtic this season? Not a chance.

Griffiths is potentially one of the best strikers in the league and he’d certainly the best outside the OF imo.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    2012 for us he got 20+ league goals, and has done it once for Celtc, 2015/6.

The "hes a 20 goal a season striker" is complete crap from people who havent got a clue.
    He scored 20 in 2014/2015 and 40 in 2015/2016 at Celtic.

Missing out a season where he scored 20 and also not pointing out that the seasons you didn’t miss he scored 28 and 40, so much, much more than 20 is doing him a slight disservice imo.

His rate of scoring at Celtic gave him a goal every 2.08 games. If you could keep him fit, which is of course a big if, then that kind of rate clears 20 every season.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 31-03-2021 at 08:44 AM.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Aberdeen have a lot of players out of contract in the summer which obviously will help with their wage bill, but I wonder if their finances are so much better than us now. Probably had to pay off DM and have had less income than us from season ticket sales + our (hopefully) higher league position and all that it could bring.

I’d be very disappointed if we don’t bring LG back over Aberdeen, although I guess a lot depends on what happens with Nisbet. I can’t see us keeping him, Doidge and then bringing in LG.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It’s probably the best way to look at it but I reckon I’d have loved both of them at Hibs now even if they hadn’t played for us before.

Brown will be an improvement on Aberdeen’s current midfield and would be an improvement on ours as well, albeit not necessarily long term. Would Newell, Gogic or Irvine have got so many minutes at Celtic this season? Not a chance.

Griffiths is potentially one of the best strikers in the league and he’d certainly the best outside the OF imo.
    Id agree with you, a fit motivated Leigh would be a no brainer...Id still have him as the best striker in the league when given a chance. I. just feel its potentially too big a financial gamble (without knowing what Celtic would want or Leigh would accept). Who knows maybe we have made enquiries, we tend to be a bit more secretive & Aberdeen will be doing anything they can to try & win over disgruntled season ticket holders.

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    He might if he's fit then again he might not, he might be up for it he might not...Nothing guaranteed and a hell of a gamble in terms of probably cash outlay.

I thought our strategy was to bring in young talent that we can nurture get a couple of good years out of then sell for a profit ready to reinvest. We might bring in the odd older one as emergency cover but thats about it.
    While signing Leigh would certainly drum up some excitement this strategy is what I would like to see us continue with rather than forking out big money on potentially damaged goods with little to no resale value.

Either way I am confident JR and the board will be able to take the emotion out of it and make the right call.

My first reaction would be to bring him back with no hesitation whatsoever. He's capabale of scoring goals that nobody in our current squad can match.

However, if it was a case of a choice between signing Leigh & keeping Nisbet (for example), it becomes far less clear cut.

Mair chance of Terry Griffiths doing a snooker exhibition in Aberdeen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    While signing Leigh would certainly drum up some excitement this strategy is what I would like to see us continue with rather than forking out big money on potentially damaged goods with little to no resale value.

Either way I am confident JR and the board will be able to take the emotion out of it and make the right call.
    ....... just as I think Griffiths will make his decision based on £££ and not on what Hibs supporters or he himself would favour.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    My first reaction would be to bring him back with no hesitation whatsoever. He's capabale of scoring goals that nobody in our current squad can match.

However, if it was a case of a choice between signing Leigh & keeping Nisbet (for example), it becomes far less clear cut.
    My opinion is that signing Leigh is a big gamble for anyone and an expensive one at that.

The chance of him successfully completing a likely contract is low. If Celtic are willing to dump him and a whole load of money, are they crazy? I suspect people are buying the old Leigh rather than the current version.

I would rather spend the money elsewhere and on more players than gambling on one. Let Aberdeen take the risk if indeed that story is real. I find it unlikely given their wider issues.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He scored 20 in 2014/2015 and 40 in 2015/2016 at Celtic.

Missing out a season where he scored 20 and also not pointing out that the seasons you didn’t miss he scored 28 and 40, so much, much more than 20 is doing him a slight disservice imo.

His rate of scoring at Celtic gave him a goal every 2.08 games. If you could keep him fit, which is of course a big if, then that kind of rate clears 20 every season.
    Wind your neck in.

I am well aware of his overall scoring record in those seasons - the question posed related to league goals which is what I answered.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Don't see any reason for Celtic to let him go cheaply however there are probably only a very few clubs in Scotland who would be an option. Interesting to see how it works out however think he will see out his final year at Celtic and try and impress their new manager.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I don’t think anyone is paying a fee for Leigh.

More likely that Celtc will look to cut him a deal to get him off their books. But of course it all depends on the new manager and their plans.
    Sure, I was imagining a signing on fee for the player and investment in wages. No one will give Celtic money as a transfer fee.

Left by mutual consent!

With respect, you could have just posted that initially as its a sensible post.

Might have prevented another thread from being side tracked for a bit and even also have encouraged more people to get involved.

Concensus appears we would take him with the acknowledged asterisk attached.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Unless Aberdeen were prepared to pay well over the odds for Leigh/Lee/Lou, there's no possibility that they'd "pip us" to his signature, if we wanted him, imo.

If he does go elsewhere in Scotland, it'll tell me that we didn't want him and I'll be happy enough to accept that we had our reasons. (Have I got those tenses right?)

The romantic in me would like to think that he'd get such a mental boost from being back at the team he supports, that he'd put his troubles behind him, and we'd get a couple of prolific seasons out of him.

The realist in me recognises that fairy tales like that rarely come true.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Behave.

I explained why some people are suspicious of certain posts and posters. I also stated it wasn't necessarily "right".

IMO the majority on here would see Leigh signing for Aberdeen and not us as a negative. You have the right to think otherwise and I have the right to disagree.

As for me looking for "the tiniest slight on Hibs at every opportunity to lambast fellow Hibs fans", I'm sorry but you're talking nonsense.

I'm honestly offended by what you're saying. If anything it's your post that sucks.
    You asked me to explain, so I tried to.

Surprised you find my post offensive.

Sorry about that, thought you were more thick skinned. I'll bear it in mind for future.

With respect, you could have just posted that initially as its a sensible post.

Might have prevented another thread from being side tracked for a bit and even also have encouraged more people to get involved.

Concensus appears we would take him with the acknowledged asterisk attached.
    I was responding to a different question (ie. "So what?"). You're the one that went off on a tangent.

If you don't want crap on .net, I suggest you stop stirring it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    You asked me to explain, so I tried to.

Surprised you find my post offensive.

Sorry about that, thought you were more thick skinned. I'll bear it in mind for future.
    Just try not to accuse me of things that I don't do, that'll be enough thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Headline: Why it may be best for all parties if Celtic and Leigh Griffiths part ways amid Aberdeen link

You’ve got to subscribe to read the article. Has anybody read it?

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    If it was the Leigh from 2016/17 I would say push the boat out, pay as much as he wants and get him into Hibs squad for next year. The thing is, it isn't the Leigh from then, it is Leigh 2021, who has played in 31 games and scored 6 goals. The last time he scored 20+ in a season was 2016/17, his record since then has been, for a Celtc striker (ie the striker getting the best service in the league) is pretty terrible.

2017/18 - Played 40 Scored 11
    2018/19 - Played 20 Scored 4
    2019/20 - Played 38 Scored 12
    2020/21 - Played 31 Scored 6

These are figures for all games including European games. I think most strikers have purple patches in their careers, Leigh's was 2012 through to 2017, he scored 130 in 4 seasons. Like almost all strikers he will lose that touch or a wee bit of pace and that can make a huge difference to a player and it has shown in his recent seasons. Aberdeen might be a good move for Leigh, but I don't think it would be a good move for Hibs to try and get him again, he is 30, he is not getting any younger or fitter, he will not get that bit of pace or that touch back, I would go so far as to say he will never score 20 goals in a season again at this level. Leigh also doesn't fit our current 'philosophy' as laid out by RG. We are looking to youth, we should be ready to welcome our development players back in preseason to see if any are ready for the step up. We have a great young striker in Nisbet and some real prospects coming through the youth system. Sentimentally I would love to see him back in a Hibs strip but my head says otherwise.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Headline: Why it may be best for all parties if Celtic and Leigh Griffiths part ways amid Aberdeen link

You’ve got to subscribe to read the article. Has anybody read it?
    I think we could all have a go at writing the article and get close to what it says.

Frees up money for the club to use on s younger player.

Gives Griffiths the opportunity to be at the top of the pecking order elsewhere.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!