hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Legacy of 7-0

It was humiliation for Hearts and changed the way they think about the derby. From board to players and fans, it became the most important thing in their lives to beat us in those games. It was even ahead of their 'special relationship' with the Scottish Cup. That's why the capitulation in the Scottish Cup game of 2016 was ultimately more devastating to them than the financial doping 1-5 Craig Thomson final to us. Our club culture has always been the internationalist, as European pioneers, rather than parochial. If you offered a Jambo relegation but four derby wins , he would take it. I don't know a single Hibby who would.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was humiliation for Hearts and changed the way they think about the derby. From board to players and fans, it became the most important thing in their lives to beat us in those games. It was even ahead of their 'special relationship' with the Scottish Cup. That's why the capitulation in the Scottish Cup game of 2016 was ultimately more devastating to them than the financial doping 1-5 Craig Thomson final to us. Our club culture has always been the internationalist, as European pioneers, rather than parochial. If you offered a Jambo relegation but four derby wins , he would take it. I don't know a single Hibby who would.
    I was over that 5-1 debacle pretty quickly. Travelled by train which despite attempts by police to have Hibs and Hearts fans on different trains it was all mixed - everyone just minding their own business and looking forward to the day in their own company with not a hint of trouble. Train back was all Hibs though after the previous couple of hours events and the walk down Leith Walk to Robbies was a depressing one with the traffic cones all in place in the event of a Hibs win. A few beers, a post-mortem then Champions League final, the mood became cheerier the songs started being sung. Had you walked by at 10.30 you might have been forgiven for thinking Hibs had won the Cup.
    In the days after it I was surprised how little bothered I really was with it all, and was quickly dusted down and over it. Hibs winning the cup, and more so the late Tynecastle comeback to force a replay cut deep into every Hearts fan, and cut far deeper than their 5-1 did to any Hibs fan. Their wounds have still not healed, and won’t for a very long time.

Left by mutual consent!
    7-0 and our cup win defines them more than 5-1 defines us.

Also want to remind everyone that a poster on kickback admitted to crying after we won the cup.

I never know why anyone would be affected by that cup final derby.

I say that as Hearts were financially doped to the point they ended up in administration and relegated.

For a fan base that says they destroyed us that day it is rather ironic that their defeat in the 2016 tie saw them sack their best manager in donkeys while flying high in the league and started a decline that is looking likely to end in another relegation.

Their obsession with being the "big team" in Edinburgh has been their downfall.

I think our cup win hurt them more than any of our results against them ever have

It's strange that those cretins seems to believe that we're some kind of denial about it. I can't divorce it from the financial doping/Thomson context. Arguably they cheated themselves out of our misery as even an average Hearts squad, fairly assembled, would have beaten what was a really poor Hibs side. That would have been much harder to take - losing a cup final without the mitigating circumstance of financial doping.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    It's strange that those cretins seems to believe that we're some kind of denial about it. I can't divorce it from the financial doping/Thomson context. Arguably they cheated themselves out of our misery as even an average Hearts squad, fairly assembled, would have beaten what was a really poor Hibs side. That would have been much harder to take - losing a cup final without the mitigating circumstance of financial doping.
    Absolutely correct.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Do you know what the best bit was after destroying them when WE won the Scottish Cup? Drawing them in the cup the very next season. They'd have been wanting to avoid playing us for a while with the utter bedlam and payback from the Hibs support. Not only that. We put them out AGAIN after a replay. Missed their chance a Tynecastle then had to listen to 20k sing about winning the cup and them bottling it in the process. Getting all the way to the semi they were in turmoil thinking it was happening again. Then we went on and won 8-1 in their stadium the year after. The largest scoreline since the same team won 7-0.

Honestly I couldn't care less about 2012. 2016 and the subsequent years have been worth every bit of pain as a Hibs supporter.
    Last edited by Since452; 10-01-2020 at 05:16 PM.

The 5-1 isnt as big a result as they make it out.We actually did well to finish the competition as runners up with that team.
    All they really did was knock us out the cup and won it.
    Same thing we did to them in 2016.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think the biggest source of Yam anxiety is that we are still here.

Let's face it with all the advantages of being part of the establishment, they have never succeeded in putting us away.

An upstart club like ours should not be competing with them, let alone overtaking them.

That is why a petty thing like an extra 500 on the gate is so important to them, when it's at their ground. They are very insecure.

A wee football team. They call themselves that in their club song.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The 7-0 game came in the middle of 20 years of Derby dominance by Hibs. Strangely during that time, although they must have suffered, there was not the hatred that is prevalent on both sides now. The entrance of Wallace Mercer and a good management team of McDonald and Jardine coupled with a grim period for us saw the tables turned. Unfortunately they seemed to take more satisfaction in their dominance than we did and developed their now well known trait of being bad losers and even worse winners coupled with an arrogance that has been passed down to the next generation and beyond. It's worth noting that we are not the only supporters that view them that way.
    The Hibs support has had to put up with all that crap for the past 35 years so it's no wonder we are now taking great delight watching them struggle.

That's where I am too.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    The 7-0 game came in the middle of 20 years of Derby dominance by Hibs. Strangely during that time, although they must have suffered, there was not the hatred that is prevalent on both sides now. The entrance of Wallace Mercer and a good management team of McDonald and Jardine coupled with a grim period for us saw the tables turned. Unfortunately they seemed to take more satisfaction in their dominance than we did and developed their now well known trait of being bad losers and even worse winners coupled with an arrogance that has been passed down to the next generation and beyond. It's worth noting that we are not the only supporters that view them that way.
    The Hibs support has had to put up with all that crap for the past 35 years so it's no wonder we are now taking great delight watching them struggle.
    Nailed it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The thing I do worry about is that our cup win becomes like another 7-0. Well Into the 80’s hibs fans were going on about the 7-0 game after yet another derby defeat. Famous results should be an inspiration not a comfort blanket. Our pink chums have fallen into the trap of using 1-5 every time things go wrong, we shouldn’t make that mistake.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    This is true Roberto, however very likely that an unfinancially doped Hearts team would have made the final that year, so worth bearing that in mind

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The thing I do worry about is that our cup win becomes like another 7-0. Well Into the 80’s hibs fans were going on about the 7-0 game after yet another derby defeat. Famous results should be an inspiration not a comfort blanket. Our pink chums have fallen into the trap of using 1-5 every time things go wrong, we shouldn’t make that mistake.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This is true Roberto, however very likely that an unfinancially doped Hearts team would have made the final that year, so worth bearing that in mind
    Their winner in the semi was scored by Kevin Kyle. A player they signed when they were already potless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Their winner in the semi was scored by Kevin Kyle. A player they signed when they were already potless.
    Craig Beattie, not sure he got paid either.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    This 100%. They lorded it over us for years about 1902 and derby results. Never let us forget. This is why I don't get people saying obsessed with Hearts etc. **** them.
    What goes around comes around and in Kevin Keegan style, I'm absolutely loving their plight. Loving it. I'll twist the knife at any opportunity and not ashamed to admit it.
    Last edited by Since452; 11-01-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    The 5-1 defeat never bothered me that much I was just glad it wasn’t 8-1
    i was over it by the time I got home the players didn’t care so I was not going
    to let it bother my life

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Craig Beattie, not sure he got paid either.

He was signed the month that they stopped paying Heriot Watt.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Do you know what the best bit was after destroying them when WE won the Scottish Cup? Drawing them in the cup the very next season. They'd have been wanting to avoid playing us for a while with the utter bedlam and payback from the Hibs support. Not only that. We put them out AGAIN after a replay. Missed their chance a Tynecastle then had to listen to 20k sing about winning the cup and them bottling it in the process. Getting all the way to the semi they were in turmoil thinking it was happening again. Then we went on and won 8-1 in their stadium the year after. The largest scoreline since the same team won 7-0.

Honestly I couldn't care less about 2012. 2016 and the subsequent years have been worth every bit of pain as a Hibs supporter.
    Celtic beat Hearts 7-0 at Tynie in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    He was signed the month that they stopped paying Heriot Watt.

That would be many months before the debt started to build and HWU did absolutely nothing about pursuing it.

Sir Matt Busby

If it was written in the stars that we had to take that day, to win the cup the way we did in 2016, I’m perfectly okay with that now. Complete opposite ends of emotions at full time of course, i think I say for 99.9% Hibees, we will never experience that exact same feeling ever again including another cup win.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    If it was written in the stars that we had to take that day, to win the cup the way we did in 2016, I’m perfectly okay with that now. Complete opposite ends of emotions at full time of course, i think I say for 99.9% Hibees, we will never experience that exact same feeling ever again including another cup win.
    I agree and people will poo poo me I just wish the team had got their chance for a lap of honour. But it is the way now it is all about me and a few photos on Facebook and Instagram.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Personally speaking that 5-1 game was the all time low in my years supporting Hibs and those talking about it being lessened by financial doping are kidding themselves on. The 4-0 semi wasn’t great either, but so what, it happened, **** does.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 13-01-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    The Scottish cup match at Tynie has hurt them significantly. The semi we lost to them genuinely hurt more than the final. None even bother me at all now, they had to sit and watch us winning the cup knowing how easily it could have been prevented. I hope and know it will hurt them deeply and it’s been all downhill since for them. Beautiful. They always have the two world wars I suppose, just don’t mention it to their manager.

No doubt 5-1 was hard to take but the day of Reckoning was always going to happen to them we just cocked it up on our side. Absolutely the comeback at the PBS hurt them soooo much especially as we went on to win the cup. Neilson got punted because of it.their comfort blanket has been whipped off them and they are maroooned without it. Their behaviour as they have slipped to the bottom of the league shows the malaise they are in and their blind faith in stendel as their saviour shows how much they are hurt by us being above them. Derby loses hurt but if we win less points than them in the derbies but finished above them I couldn't give a hoot. Watching sdg head the winner is so sweet and knowing how much it skunnered them just adds more joy to it.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I agree and people will poo poo me I just wish the team had got their chance for a lap of honour. But it is the way now it is all about me and a few photos on Facebook and Instagram.
    100%.
    Understood the pitch invasion but those on the pitch should’ve got the **** off a lot quicker than they did whilst more and more decided to pour in.
    The lack of a lap of the pitch and a proper team photo on the pitch with the cup remains a disappointment for me and (I’d imagine) an awful lot of kids.