hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Boring

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Sitting comfortably in 4th spot, at a time where the players week in week out are playing to empty stadia, where football is generally boring at this time and yet there are stacks of Hibs fans that are willing to have a pop. Hibs.net is becoming a place of near hate for Hibs of late.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sitting comfortably in 4th spot, at a time where the players week in week out are playing to empty stadia, where football is generally boring at this time and yet there are stacks of Hibs fans that are willing to have a pop. Hibs.net is becoming a place of near hate for Hibs of late.
    The best one was on the matchday thread when some guy said there was a conspiracy from people with high post counts to say we're playing well en masse.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    It’s a Hibs forum to discuss Hibs related matters.

Surely how we are playing comes into that category?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Everybody's entitled to their point of view

Everybody's entitled to criticise that point of view

Everybody's entitled to criticise those criticizing that point of view

Etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

As I've already stated, we're sitting 4th top, not 4th bottom, but you'd never guess it eh.

There is far to much negativity on here, RE: the team & manager, it's getting beyond scary.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    As I've already stated, we're sitting 4th top, not 4th bottom, but you'd never guess it eh.

There is far to much negativity on here, RE: the team & manager, it's getting beyond scary.
    On any thread it’s usually a minority that are over the top with their negativity. Then there’s a handful of posters who seem hell bent on responding to every single one of those posts. That creates a bit of an echo chamber and dominates the thread IMO. The majority are somewhere in the middle.

I think we’re making progress but I also often find our style functional but boring. I imagine I’d feel much the same if I was watching the same games in person. League position is important but not the be all and end all. We’ve given Aberdeen grudging respect for their consistency yet also hammered them for the style they employ to achieve it,
    Last edited by The Modfather; 26-11-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    On any thread it’s usually a minority that are over the top with their negativity. Then there’s a handful of posters who seem hell bent on responding to every single one of those posts. That creates a bit of an echo chamber and dominates the thread IMO. The majority are somewhere in the middle.

I think we’re making progress but I also often find our style functional but boring. I imagine I’d feel much the same if I was watching the same games in person. League position is important but not the be all and end all. We’ve given Aberdeen grudging respect for their consistency yet also hammered them for the style they employ to achieve it,
    Define boring and what games?...

I didn't find the games against Livingston, St Mirren, Hamilton, rangers, celtic (H), Kilmarnock (H&A) boring. There has been one or two away victories to add that weren't vintage performances but were more than acceptable performances to get those wins.

Define boring and what games?...

I didn't find the games against Livingston, St Mirren, Hamilton, rangers, celtic (H), Kilmarnock (H&A) boring. There has been one or two away victories to add that weren't vintage performances but were more than acceptable performances to get those wins.
    Why do I have to define boring and specify what games? It’s simply an opinion, same as yours, neither are right or wrong.

Why do I have to define boring and specify what games? It’s simply an opinion, same as yours, neither are right or wrong.
    Why get so defensive?

I know it's your opinion for which I am genuinely interested in, as to how you came to that conclusion. Wasn't meant to be a pop.

Why get so defensive?

I know it's your opinion for which I am genuinely interested in, as to how you came to that conclusion. Wasn't meant to be a pop.
    I thought saying we’d made progress but I often find our style (giving up the middle of the park when we only have 2 players in there) boring was about the nub of it. Not sure what else I can expand on.

I thought saying we’d made progress but I often find our style (giving up the middle of the park when we only have 2 players in there) boring was about the nub of it. Not sure what else I can expand on.
    Fairynuff. 👍

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    I think the lacklustre semi (no Frankie Howard jokes please) has had an effect on how we feel. Hopefully things click back into place and we start to play with a bit of spark again and cutting edge again. I feel that we are missing a leader on the park who can keep there head, calm things down and play some composed football.
    This is a big influence on how people are seeing games right now I think. I've certainly been there before myself - being down on the team and despondent in the wake of a derby defeat. I was certainly gutted about it but for some reason my mood is more ebulient this time round. Maybe because the Yams are stuck in the league below - the thought of which makes me smile. More likely though because I genuinely like the look of our side at the moment and it makes me feel optimistic. I know we have had some poor results and performances this season but they have been outweighed by the good IMO. And that's because we have players like Boyle, Murphy, Nisbet and Doidge playing ahead of a committed and fairly settled defence. Even Mallan - much maligned in the wake of the St Js game - has a creative edge and is capable of very good performances. There's room for improvement as there always is but we are starting from a good place.

I reckon all sides have their bad patches and I think we're just emerging from one of them - but we have the character and talent in the squad to bounce back and I think we will.

I think recently playing 442 we have gone route one a lot due to having Doidge in the team with Nisbet, a midfield 2 means we don't see a lot of the ball and we're driven back too much, hence the big lumps up the park when there's no options for the defenders. Having the 3 in the middle means we play the ball on the deck, like most clubs on budgets we have a few players who re inconsistent, this also gives the impression of boring football when in fact the football is just crap.

The world situation has 100% had a huge effect on feelings towards the games, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. Probably has got a lot to do with the disconnect having not been in the ground for so long.

It’s football in general. Both the derby and Scotland’s biggest game in years, I was no way near as pumped/nervous for either as I would have been 12 months ago.

Very very strange times.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Spot on, we have progressed as a team, and hopefully we can progress again each window. It appears there is no long term aaim now with some fans, either we win playing like Brazil or we are *****. The aim for any club is to get better, obviously some people want it quicker than others, but with everything that's happened in the last year or so, just having a team that's progressing and hopefully will get better season by season is good enough for me. Hounding outanother manager, especially one who has improved us would be just wrong.
    Great comment there - realistic and insightful - and positive as well from someone who I've never seen knowingly indulging in "Happy Clapping"

Coaching Staff
    Maybe its because I don't have much of a life but getting up at 2am to watch Hibs live on the telly is still the highlight of my week, as it has been for years.

Disappointed when results don't go as we would like, but boring?

Never.

Perhaps the negative feelings are as a result partly of what Scotland is going through just now with everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

Perhaps the negative feelings are as a result partly of what Scotland is going through just now with everything else.
    No, it's because we've been playing poorly in all bar two games this season, we lost a cup semi final, then followed that up with a dismal performance against Aberdeen (again).

Sitting 9th in the form table at present.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    No, it's because we've been playing poorly in all bar two games this season, we lost a cup semi final, then followed that up with a dismal performance against Aberdeen (again).

We’ve played well in more than two games this season.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We’ve played well in more than two games this season.
    You're wasting your time.

Can we just get back to 352. 👍

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Great comment there - realistic and insightful - and positive as well from someone who I've never seen knowingly indulging in "Happy Clapping"
    When we sit 4th or better I'm clapping as much as anyone. 😁 What I won't do is get on the managers case when we are punching our weight, as we rarely do. 😭

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar

Which one?

Last 6 games it is
    Rangers 18,
    Celtic 11,
    Motherwell 10,

then 5 teams on 9 points including us.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Which one?

Last 6 games it is
    Rangers 18,
    Celtic 11,
    Motherwell 10,

then 5 teams on 9 points including us.
    Sitting 4th in the only table that matters also. Form tables take into account who you’ve played during a small run of games, all teams go through ups and downs during a season, but the league table rarely lies about where you are sitting. Had yet another horrendous run of games including Celtic, Aberdeen away, Killie away, an Edinburgh derby, and it is only 7 and 8 games ago that we played Celtic and rangers back to back in the league. So in the last 10 league games we have played the champions twice, rangers once, Aberdeen twice, and killie away. That’s a solid run of fixtures for any club to go through, and thankfully now into a run between now and Boxing Day of far kinder fixtures.

Deary me - More negativity.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

I would argue we are sitting 4th in the form table.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Plus a 100% record in the League Cup.

Let's hope we can keep that going tomorrow

We are the draw kings.
    Could be worse.

It's strange that people pick out different managers when talking about boring seasons with lots of draws but nobody ever mentions Eddie Turnbull, who actually holds the record.

Season 76-77

P-36, W-8, D-18, L10

Two seasons later we had 13 draws from 36 games.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Exactly.

Shows how negative folk want to be when they're bringing up meaningless nonsense like a table from the last 6 games. We've had a fairly hard fixture list recently.

We will be 3rd or probably 4th come the end of the season which will be a decent effort.

Nobody yet has mentioned who the entertaining teams are in this league. We're still building but with players like Murphy, Boyle, and Nisbet I doubt we're boring compared to most.