hibs.net Messageboard

Page 394 of 406 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404 ... LastLast
Results 11,791 to 11,820 of 12180
    The covid situation is making a bit of a farce of the league.

I stayed up to watch the Miami v New Orleans game last night and the Saints roster was a joke. They had a guy in the offensive line who signed to the practice squad on boxing day and was elevated to the full roster yesterday to start. Not a single snap in practice. They had Blake Bortles as back up QB who signed on Christmas Eve. The rookie QB was sacked 9 times and hit a further 13 times, it was verging on abuse.

It puts us in a position where we can win out and be guaranteed a play off place so to that end I'm not complaining. There's little sporting merit in such a win though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    John Madden has died John Madden: NFL coach, broadcaster and video game icon dies at 85 - BBC News

Legendary American Football coach and commentator John Madden has died at the age of 85, the National Football League (NFL) has announced.
    The league said he died unexpectedly and did not give a cause.

Madden led the then-Oakland Raiders to their first Super Bowl victory in 1977 and became a hugely popular television analyst after retiring from coaching.

He later became the face of Madden NFL Football, one of the most successful sports video games ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The covid situation is making a bit of a farce of the league.

I stayed up to watch the Miami v New Orleans game last night and the Saints roster was a joke. They had a guy in the offensive line who signed to the practice squad on boxing day and was elevated to the full roster yesterday to start. Not a single snap in practice. They had Blake Bortles as back up QB who signed on Christmas Eve. The rookie QB was sacked 9 times and hit a further 13 times, it was verging on abuse.

It puts us in a position where we can win out and be guaranteed a play off place so to that end I'm not complaining. There's little sporting merit in such a win though.
    The Ravens were down to their EIGHTH choice cornerback against the Packers the other day (and still kept it close, amazingly). The NFL is always affected by injuries after a long season in any normal year, but the pandemic has just taken it to a whole new level. Its made a lopt of matchups a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    John Madden has died John Madden: NFL coach, broadcaster and video game icon dies at 85 - BBC News

Legendary American Football coach and commentator John Madden has died at the age of 85, the National Football League (NFL) has announced.
    The league said he died unexpectedly and did not give a cause.

Madden led the then-Oakland Raiders to their first Super Bowl victory in 1977 and became a hugely popular television analyst after retiring from coaching.

He later became the face of Madden NFL Football, one of the most successful sports video games ever.

Him and Pat Summerall were two of the voices of my childhood. RIP.

Very interesting game between the bengals and chiefs, took Kansas City out of the AFC top spot (Tennessee winning also contributed hahaha)

plus Antonio Brown doing Antonio Brown things
    Last edited by McD; 02-01-2022 at 08:29 PM.

good luck to the guy

David Ojabo: NFL draft awaits for 21-year-old from Aberdeenshire - BBC Sport

As recently as 2017, David Ojabo had never played American football. After all, the sport wasn't especially big in Aberdeenshire.
    Yet later this year, he is set to become an NFL star after declaring for the 2022 draft. In fact, by the end of April, the 21-year-old could be one of the most lavishly-paid Scottish athletes on the planet.

good luck to the guy

David Ojabo: NFL draft awaits for 21-year-old from Aberdeenshire - BBC Sport

As recently as 2017, David Ojabo had never played American football. After all, the sport wasn't especially big in Aberdeenshire.
    Yet later this year, he is set to become an NFL star after declaring for the 2022 draft. In fact, by the end of April, the 21-year-old could be one of the most lavishly-paid Scottish athletes on the planet.
    Almost impossible to predict where he will end up. So many teams in the middle of the draft need an edge rusher. Denver, the Giants, the Eagles (who have 3 picks in the first round)??

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Almost impossible to predict where he will end up. So many teams in the middle of the draft need an edge rusher. Denver, the Giants, the Eagles (who have 3 picks in the first round)??

i have to confess all that goes over my head for now but, i've watched the superbowl without fail for 30+ years, only started watching the group games more regularly two years ago and starting this season i've watched games every weekend including the games that finish approx 4am on the monday morning, i'm starting to finally pick up on the rules and i even know what a drive and a hail mary pass is i'm getting there, slowly

i have to confess all that goes over my head for now but, i've watched the superbowl without fail for 30+ years, only started watching the group games more regularly two years ago and starting this season i've watched games every weekend including the games that finish approx 4am on the monday morning, i'm starting to finally pick up on the rules and i even know what a drive and a hail mary pass is i'm getting there, slowly
    Sorry

NFL draft- Springtime Event where the best college players in the country get picked by the NFL pro teams. Worst NFL team from previous season gets first pick of the top young player in the first round, then in ascending order so the 32nd and last pick is owned by the previous years best team. Then you start another round, i think there’s now seven rounds in total(But picks get traded between teams, eg.if you want to trade for a player you can swap him for a pick). This lad who grew up in Aberdeenshire and went to college in Michigan is projected to go in the first round, which means he’s very very good.

Edge Rusher- the really athletic fast big defender who rushes at the QB from ‘the edge’ of the ‘line’ (the ‘line’ is the line of the biggest 5 players on the offensive and defensive units who line up and charge into each other when the ball is snapped back to the QB). He’s often crouching over the lineman when the other linemen are down in a 3 point stance (like a sprinter) or a 4 point stance.The edge rusher is one of the most important positions on the field because a good player here can disrupt the oppositions passing game.

Picks-players you get in the draft. Due to trading with other teams, the Eagles have 3 1st round picks this year, which is very unusual and should mean they have a good young team to work with in the next few seasons.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 07-01-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Sorry

NFL draft- Springtime Event where the best college players in the country get picked by the NFL pro teams. Worst NFL team from previous season gets first pick of the top young player in the first round, then in ascending order so the 32nd and last pick is owned by the previous years best team. Then you start another round, i think there’s now seven rounds in total(But picks get traded between teams, eg.if you want to trade for a player you can swap him for a pick). This lad who grew up in Aberdeenshire and went to college in Michigan is projected to go in the first round, which means he’s very very good.

Edge Rusher- the really athletic fast big defender who rushes at the QB from ‘the edge’ of the ‘line’ (the ‘line’ is the line of the biggest 5 players on the offensive and defensive units who line up and charge into each other when the ball is snapped back to the QB). He’s often crouching over the lineman when the other linemen are down in a 3 point stance (like a sprinter) or a 4 point stance.The edge rusher is one of the most important positions on the field because a good player here can disrupt the oppositions passing game.

Picks-players you get in the draft. Due to trading with other teams, the Eagles have 3 1st round picks this year, which is very unusual and should mean they have a good young team to work with in the next few seasons.
    Mmmm ok ta as for the eagles, jeezo they should get a lot more picks as they were absolutely dreadful in getting a hammering from Dallas Cowboys(just finished) 52-26 at home, cowboys 2nd highest score against them, they did get a consolation TD with under 2 mins remaining but lucky,very lucky, if there was over 1,500 remaining fans in a 69k stadium, and i think even they were probably just player family members

Mmmm ok ta as for the eagles, jeezo they should get a lot more picks as they were absolutely dreadful in getting a hammering from Dallas Cowboys(just finished) 52-26 at home, cowboys 2nd highest score against them, they did get a consolation TD with under 2 mins remaining but lucky,very lucky, if there was over 1,500 remaining fans in a 69k stadium, and i think even they were probably just player family members
    Barely any of the eagles starters played last night, think Kelce played a snap in order to keep alive his consecutive games played streak and Smith played to try to break the Eagles rookie receiving yards record.

The Eagles treated it like the last pre-season game where all the starters are rested to avoid the risk of injury.

Dallas on the other hand played most of their starters including Dak Prescott for most of the game, only taking them out in the 4th quarter. Can't really read anything into the result last night.

I think that the eagles will be out in the first game of the playoffs though, I don't think there's any chance we beat the rams, bucs or cardinals (depending who gets 2nd and 3rd seeds).

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Barely any of the eagles starters played last night, think Kelce played a snap in order to keep alive his consecutive games played streak and Smith played to try to break the Eagles rookie receiving yards record.

The Eagles treated it like the last pre-season game where all the starters are rested to avoid the risk of injury.

Dallas on the other hand played most of their starters including Dak Prescott for most of the game, only taking them out in the 4th quarter. Can't really read anything into the result last night.

I think that the eagles will be out in the first game of the playoffs though, I don't think there's any chance we beat the rams, bucs or cardinals (depending who gets 2nd and 3rd seeds).

fair do's didn't realise that i see Denver Broncos sacked their coach today. missed the play-off's for the last six seasons since winning it

fair do's didn't realise that i see Denver Broncos sacked their coach today. missed the play-off's for the last six seasons since winning it
    Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for their coach to be honest, they've not had a decent quarterback since Manning, using 10 starting QB's in that time; Drew Lock, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, Brock Osweiler, Case Keenum, Joe Flacco, Brandon Allen, Jeff Driskel and Brett Rypien.

I don't know how any management can expect a head coach to get a decent offence when you are having to work with that rubbish.

Elway is likely to be out of the picture after this season so the new GM will have to try to pull off some miracle at QB, it's not a good off-season to be looking for a QB, no real prospects available in the draft and nothing in free agency. They'll need to try to get a trade on the go, maybe make a swing for Russell Wilson?

Who’s watching Rams 9ers???
    Absolute drama man that’s why American fitba is a great game, such crazy stories playing out in the most crucial of moments.
    I love/hate Jimmy G

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post
    Who’s watching Rams 9ers???
    Absolute drama man that’s why American fitba is a great game, such crazy stories playing out in the most crucial of moments.
    I love/hate Jimmy G
    It’s been some game, the 49ers look like they’ve won it in overtime. I didn’t see that coming when the Rams were leading 17-0.

United we stand here....

Wow what a finish!!!!
    We’re in the playoffs
    Here we go 6 in a row we own the rams
    We ****ing own the rams!!!!!!!!

wildcard weekend fixtures :)

Saturday, 15 January
    Las Vegas Raiders v Cincinnati Bengals (21:35)
    New England Patriots v Buffalo Bills (01:15)

Sunday, 16 January
    Philadelphia Eagles v Tampa Bay Buccaneers (18:00)
    San Francisco 49ers v Dallas Cowboys (21:30)
    Pittsburgh Steelers v Kansas City Chiefs (01:15)

Monday, 17 January
    Arizona Cardinals v Los Angeles Rams (01:15)

three more fired

Three NFL coaches have lost their jobs on a day known as 'Black Monday' because of it's history of sackings.
    Miami Dolphins parted ways with Brian Flores, Minnesota Vikings sacked head coach Mike Zimmer and Chicago Bears fired Matt Nagy after all three teams missed out on the play-offs.

The Vikings and Bears also relieved respective general managers Rick Spielman and Ryan Pace of their duties.

three more fired

Three NFL coaches have lost their jobs on a day known as 'Black Monday' because of it's history of sackings.
    Miami Dolphins parted ways with Brian Flores, Minnesota Vikings sacked head coach Mike Zimmer and Chicago Bears fired Matt Nagy after all three teams missed out on the play-offs.

The Vikings and Bears also relieved respective general managers Rick Spielman and Ryan Pace of their duties.
    I think that’s particularly harsh on Flores and Zimmer, Nagy was always a dead man walking at the Bears. Those three teams are just characterised by not having great QBs.

Getting rid of Flores is madness from Miami.

Stephen Ross has redeveloped the stadium to bring it up to modern standards and has built a state of the art training facility. He has owned the Dolphins since 2009. In that time we have had 6 head coaches, 1 play off appearance and 3 winning seasons. 2 of those 3 are in the last 2 years and is built on one of the leagues best defences and you sack the head coach. Madness.

The issue is the ghosts of Shula and Marino still loom large. No one is getting time to build anything because we are an organisation living in the past. It's like Nottingham Forest sacking managers because they don't win the Champions League.

Fwiw I would stick it out with Tua rather than giving up a stupid amount of picks for DeShaun Watson. There are so many issues needing addressed on offence that giving up 3 1st round picks plus 2nd round picks would be crazy. Tua has done OK (a B- maybe) playing behind the worst OL in the league and with no running game to speak of until Duke Johnson pitched up a few weeks ago.

Runour has it the Broncos are already keen to speak to Flores, I have no doubt at all he will go there and be a success.

my hot tips ... only cowboys let me down last weekend

Saturday (away team first, times in GMT)

• Cincinnati Bengals v Tennessee Titans (21:30)
    • San Francisco 49ers v Green Bay Packers (01:15)

Sunday

• Los Angeles Rams v Tampa Bay Buccaneers (20:00)
    • Buffalo Bills v Kansas City Chiefs (23:30)

my hot tips ... only cowboys let me down last weekend

Saturday (away team first, times in GMT)

• Cincinnati Bengals v Tennessee Titans (21:30)
    • San Francisco 49ers v Green Bay Packers (01:15)

Sunday

• Los Angeles Rams v Tampa Bay Buccaneers (20:00)
    • Buffalo Bills v Kansas City Chiefs (23:30)

the Bills vs Chiefs is a Super Bowl calibre game for me, 2 teams going well with exceptional players. Whoever wins that one will be a tough match for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    the Bills vs Chiefs is a Super Bowl calibre game for me, 2 teams going well with exceptional players. Whoever wins that one will be a tough match for anyone

i probably would have opted for chiefs but i was impressed with that bills display last weekend, i had to pick one of them though

Bengals are gonna win

Bengals win with a 52 yard FG 19-16

will visit Kansas City or Buffalo next week
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 22-01-2022 at 11:33 PM.

It’s great to see the bengals win that, they’ve been the butt of so many jokes over the last decade or more. I can’t see them going any further with the amount of sacks they give up, but I’m sure their fans aren’t worrying about that tonight.

United we stand here....

I know the 49ers are the ultimate game killers, but if the Packers want to win the super bowl they need to be much better than this. 1 scoring drive midway through the 3rd quarter won’t cut it.

United we stand here....

49ers are going to win this.

United we stand here....

Can he kick it.

United we stand here....

Yes he can.

United we stand here....

oh my, Green bay :(

fell asleep last quarter, they said 72% of home sides have won at this stage....until tonight that is

great start for them as well, then no points 2nd and 3rd quarters
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 23-01-2022 at 03:23 AM.