hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the Aberdeen fixture a dead rubber as well now?

Two games this season (and countless before now) and we haven't laid a glove on them - but will anyone in the Boardroom challenge Ross with that sentiment?

I doubt it - but then that's where we seem to be now, happy to trawl around mid-table and despite the new owner's fine words about "a league challenge in future" it still seems we're beset by the old Board's parsimony and caution...it's just got a transatlantic twist on it now.

A small squad that has absolutely no game changers and a bench containing identikit midfield players and the old guard of Gray and MacGregor to come in on an emergency.

What do we exactly charge our manager to deliver - regular European football? Parity in the derby fixture (or does that game even rate a mention)? Win 70/80% of your home games?

I really would be intrigued to know just where the bar is set for Hibs managers, but I suspect we'll only hear from the Board and Gordon when season tickets are needing renewed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two games this season (and countless before now) and we haven't laid a glove on them - but will anyone in the Boardroom challenge Ross with that sentiment?

I doubt it - but then that's where we seem to be now, happy to trawl around mid-table and despite the new owner's fine words about "a league challenge in future" it still seems we're beset by the old Board's parsimony and caution...it's just got a transatlantic twist on it now.

A small squad that has absolutely no game changers and a bench containing identikit midfield players and the old guard of Gray and MacGregor to come in on an emergency.

What do we exactly charge our manager to deliver - regular European football? Parity in the derby fixture (or does that game even rate a mention)? Win 70/80% of your home games?

I really would be intrigued to know just where the bar is set for Hibs managers, but I suspect we'll only hear from the Board and Gordon when season tickets are needing renewed.
    Our league position suggests improvement on last season. He was brought in to improve our league position and challenge for Europe. Aberdeen have been a good side for years and it will take more than a quarter of a season to catch up with them. We've started well in the league in the grand scheme of things.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    What is it you want the board to do? We paid for Nisbet, we paid for Magennis.

We all wanted Boyle signed on a new deal. They got him signed up.

I was never keen on Gogic but I seemed to be in the minority, most folk were happy he signed.

To use the word parsimony is ridiculous.

At the start of the season I thought we’d come at worst 4th. I still think that. Jack Ross has had just under a year. McInnes has built that team and drilled into them what he wants for years.

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t worry about ever beating Rangers, Celtic, Hearts or Aberdeen again. It’s acceptable to be turned over regular. (And celebrate a draw at home to the Huns like an actual trophy)

As long as we beat Hamilton, St Johnstone and Killie by the odd goal, Jack Ross will be the greatest manager that we’ve had.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Don’t worry about ever beating Rangers, Celtic, Hearts or Aberdeen again. It’s acceptable to be turned over regular. (And celebrate a draw at home to the Huns like an actual trophy)

As long as we beat Hamilton, St Johnstone and Killie by the odd goal, Jack Ross will be the greatest manager that we’ve had.
    Yawn

To answer you shortly, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

What are you slavering about?

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post

I was never keen on Gogic but I seemed to be in the minority, most folk were happy he signed.

At the start of the season I thought we’d come at worst 4th. I still think that. Jack Ross has had just under a year. McInnes has built that team and drilled into them what he wants for years.
    A good post.

I thought we were terrible tonight but still think we have improved on where we were last season.

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Our league position suggests improvement on last season. He was brought in to improve our league position and challenge for Europe. Aberdeen have been a good side for years and it will take more than a quarter of a season to catch up with them. We've started well in the league in the grand scheme of things.
    Next season then, maybe? Year after that? When we beat them to the punch for at least one player?

It's the same old same old with those that run the club - caution, caution, all the way - appoint a safe manager who'll not rock the boat too much and don't place any expectation on his shoulders beyond plodding along and bracketing finishing top 6 in this league as some sort of "achievement".

Those of us on here that would maybe like to see the club punch its weight for a consistent 4/5 seasons of qualifying for Europe are shouted down as "bedwetters" and having "unreasonable expectations".

21st of May 2016 should have been a turning point for Hibernian FC; monkey off our back, fans returning in numbers, and a good team to watch, instead we've stood still despite a new owner taking over (who's not so "new" now), but still "patience" appears to be the watchword at Easter Road.

Next season then, maybe? Year after that? When we beat them to the punch for at least one player?

It's the same old same old with those that run the club - caution, caution, all the way - appoint a safe manager who'll not rock the boat too much and don't place any expectation on his shoulders beyond plodding along and bracketing finishing top 6 in this league as some sort of "achievement".

Those of us on here that would maybe like to see the club punch its weight for a consistent 4/5 seasons of qualifying for Europe are shouted down as "bedwetters" and having "unreasonable expectations".

21st of May 2016 should have been a turning point for Hibernian FC; monkey off our back, fans returning in numbers, and a good team to watch, instead we've stood still despite a new owner taking over (who's not so "new" now), but still "patience" appears to be the watchword at Easter Road.
    We all want the same things but some expect drastic improvements overnight which is unrealistic.

10 players out and 5 in.

A squad that's threadbare beyond 13/14 players competing for 11 places, and no pressure on those in possession of the jersey.

We've had effectively 2 forward players in the centre forward position for the last 4-5 years, with a laddie on the bench as "back-up" - Caldwell, Shaw, Gullan as three examples.

We can debate the semi-final and our luck/the ref until the coo's come hame, but a point that's been made repeatedly on here is they had very experienced players came off the bench and got them a toe-hold back in the game.

We had no-one like that to call on, because to build a squad of 17-18 players of similar ability and a bit of experience costs MONEY.

This goes beyond Ross, Heckingbottom, Lennon, and I think "parsimony" is a fair choice of words, because that's the way Hibs operate.

Oh for a Tom Hart in the boardroom now.

It doesn’t seem to matter who’s at the helm Scotty but you always come out with these attacks on the board after a few bad results. What’s your gripe? RG was barely in place 6 months when Covid popped up. You don’t think that’ stifled his ambitious plans somewhat? The squad is a bit thin and me and my laddie were looking at the two squads. We were saying Hibs probably have about 14 genuine first team starters. The rest are no more than backup. Aberdeen probably have 18 or 19 players they can forge a decent starting 11 from covering all areas of their team. We are well short of that. I do think we need to take the current situation into account though.

Gamer IDs

10 players out and 5 in.

A squad that's threadbare beyond 13/14 players competing for 11 places, and no pressure on those in possession of the jersey.

We've had effectively 2 forward players in the centre forward position for the last 4-5 years, with a laddie on the bench as "back-up" - Caldwell, Shaw, Gullan as three examples.

We can debate the semi-final and our luck/the ref until the coo's come hame, but a point that's been made repeatedly on here is they had very experienced players came off the bench and got them a toe-hold back in the game.

We had no-one like that to call on, because to build a squad of 17-18 players of similar ability and a bit of experience costs MONEY.

This goes beyond Ross, Heckingbottom, Lennon, and I think "parsimony" is a fair choice of words, because that's the way Hibs operate.

Are you saying we shouldn’t have let so many players leave? If so, which ones? Fraser Murray? Ben Stirling? Dabrowski? Tom James? Slivka? Bogdan was never staying and never played anyway. We could’ve kept Horgan, but I think Murphy is good enough replacement there.

We’ve improved the squad, aye it looks like twice as many out as in, but the players who went out weren’t good enough to play. The ones who came in, mostly, should be.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    10 players out and 5 in.

Money is a wee bit tight just now, there’s a pandemic on the go playing it’s part. The board have invested though, Ross and those in charge of the football department were in control of what they did with it. Nisbet looks a good choice and Gogic has contributed well, the jury is out on the rest of our summer signings for me.

No win at Pittodrie since 2012 I was told?

Are you saying we shouldn’t have let so many players leave? If so, which ones? Fraser Murray? Ben Stirling? Dabrowski? Tom James? Slivka? Bogdan was never staying and never played anyway. We could’ve kept Horgan, but I think Murphy is good enough replacement there.

We’ve improved the squad, aye it looks like twice as many out as in, but the players who went out weren’t good enough to play. The ones who came in, mostly, should be.
    I'm not saying that - It's the constant churn of sub-standard players (some of which should never get near Easter Road in the first place) that does me in - my point is if Hibs ever want to be consistent challengers as befits our fan-base and status as a big-city club, then we need to shed the plodding along mentality that's been the club's modus operandi for the last 20-30 years.

That takes serious investment from a serious owner, coupled with an engaged fan base to provide whoever's in the dugout with more options than we've got just now.

It also takes an owner who doesn't accept mid-table obscurity year-on-year, and a crap derby record... sorry, but i'm not convinced Ron Gordon isn't of the same cautious mindset of his predecessors who set the bar low for the Hibs to the point where we're inured to results and performances like tonight, and sequences of results against certain teams that have been the norm for Hibernian for far too long now.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    No win at Pittodrie since 2012 I was told?
    Think it's 2014. And that's with us out of the same division for three years. So not as bad as the years make it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    Think it's 2014. And that's with us out of the same division for three years. So not as bad as the years make it out.
    Just checked and it’s definitely 2012. Failed to win in 9 games there since.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I hope the board, having invested not just in Jack Ross but in new players (at a time where let’s face it, the old board would have been putting money away for a rainy day rather than taking some calculated risks with transfers), see the direction we’re heading over the course of the next year, 2 years, 3 years etc and don’t **** their pants at the first bump in the road.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Just checked and it’s definitely 2012. Failed to win in 9 games there since.
    Jesus.

The three year in a different division thing is still right. Though being in the championship is hardly something to be chuffed about.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I hope the board, having invested not just in Jack Ross but in new players (at a time where let’s face it, the old board would have been putting money away for a rainy day rather than taking some calculated risks with transfers), see the direction we’re heading over the course of the next year, 2 years, 3 years etc and don’t **** their pants at the first bump in the road.
    Is it always the wait 2/3 years, "bear with us" mindset that'll prevail at Easter Road?

What's wrong with a bit of expectation placed on the manager from above, or does pressure to get results always have to come from the fans via forums like these, or when supporters are actually in stadiums before any (usually reactive) steps are taken?

BTW, i'm not calling for Ross' head, far from it, I just suspect that the level of expectation placed on whatever incumbent is in the dugout by the Board is at odds with the fans' expectations, and that low bar does not seem to have changed with the new owner.

It's that mindset that sees us qualify for Europe once in a blue moon when that should be the minimum standard achieved by Hibernian every season.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Is it always the wait 2/3 years, "bear with us" mindset that'll prevail at Easter Road?

What's wrong with a bit of expectation placed on the manager from above, or does pressure to get results always have to come from the fans via forums like these, or when supporters are actually in stadiums before any (usually reactive) steps are taken?

BTW, i'm not calling for Ross' head, far from it, I just suspect that the level of expectation placed on whatever incumbent is in the dugout by the Board is at odds with the fans' expectations, and that low bar does not seem to have changed with the new owner.

It's that mindset that sees us qualify for Europe once in a blue moon when that should be the minimum standard achieved by Hibernian every season.
    He won’t have targets based on one or two fixtures, he’ll live or die by achieving targets on League placings and cup runs. That’s where the expectations will be placed on him by the board.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Unless Ron Gordon is full of b/s I’d be amazed if anyone who listened to him at the AGM came away thinking we had an owner lacking in ambition, if anything I thought his vision was over ambitious. So I’d suggest his expectations match those of the fans. And while the past two games have been bitterly disappointing to be 4th this season compared to where we were last is definitely making progress at present.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Unless Ron Gordon is full of b/s I’d be amazed if anyone who listened to him at the AGM came away thinking we had an owner lacking in ambition, if anything I thought his vision was over ambitious. So I’d suggest his expectations match those of the fans. And while the past two games have been bitterly disappointing to be 4th this season compared to where we were last is definitely making progress at present.
    I heard him at the AGM too, and it was nice to hear a bit of ambition compared to the stuffy non-committal corporate guff that we got from Petrie...I think a lot of Gordon's plans were based on improving the match-day experience and increasing revenues that way, so in that regard I do feel for him that Covid has scuppered that.

However, talk is cheap, and i'm convinced that the current Board (who still have among their number a fair few of the old regime) think that those of us who suggest that Hibs are capable of better are being unreasonable and demanding.

For example, the approach to the derby game is a hotly debated topic on here, principally the different mindset adopted by the respective clubs to the fixture - our reticence in talking the game up to the level they do really grinds my gears, and it's things like that I don't think are fed back to Ron Gordon - in short, I don't think he "gets it".

In these straitened times more than any other time, we need something to give us something to look forward to and football is an outlet for that; the "slowly as we go" approach by Hibs wore thin a long time ago.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

tralimg around mid table? We’re 4th!

realistically we could only be one place higher.

our league position may indeed suggest a better position than previous seasons and i dont for a minute dispute that...but in real terms we are pish...its simple as that you can dispute how we got the points and thats maybe a reflection on the league... but the fare has been utter dross and we are in a false postion compared to actual real quality..the performances continue and over the course we will be found out as is now happening
    Last edited by pedroorange1875; 07-11-2020 at 04:13 AM.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I heard him at the AGM too, and it was nice to hear a bit of ambition compared to the stuffy non-committal corporate guff that we got from Petrie...I think a lot of Gordon's plans were based on improving the match-day experience and increasing revenues that way, so in that regard I do feel for him that Covid has scuppered that.

However, talk is cheap, and i'm convinced that the current Board (who still have among their number a fair few of the old regime) think that those of us who suggest that Hibs are capable of better are being unreasonable and demanding.

For example, the approach to the derby game is a hotly debated topic on here, principally the different mindset adopted by the respective clubs to the fixture - our reticence in talking the game up to the level they do really grinds my gears, and it's things like that I don't think are fed back to Ron Gordon - in short, I don't think he "gets it".

In these straitened times more than any other time, we need something to give us something to look forward to and football is an outlet for that; the "slowly as we go" approach by Hibs wore thin a long time ago.
    While recognising the names I’d argue that the those on the board who were part of the old regime (by that I assume you mean Petrie’s time) are small in numbers and have very little influence in the actual direction set for the club. So I’m not sure your argument stands up.

While I’d have preferred to have heard comments coming from the club stating that last week’s game was very important to them would it really have mattered ? It’s what was being said behind closed doors that was important and we have no idea what that was. I’d be amazed if Ron Gordon doesn’t get it and with the excellent job Kieran is doing as our fans rep fully expect our thoughts on last week are being fed to him.

I agree with your last sentence in terms of football being an outlet, but we have no option but to accept the “slowly as we go” approach you refer to. You say it yourself, COVID has scuppered a lot of RG’s plans for now, change will take longer as a result.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    I like many others am utterly sick/disappointed with the last 2 results/performance but still feel strongly enough to try and put my point over

As much as I am spewing I do think we need to calm down a bit

We’re a relatively new team whilst I agree with people stating “we grinded out that result “

Over the Last few years we wouldn’t have ground out that result!! we’d have been BEAT most times

Yes Aeeeberdeeeeen are a thorn in our side and I for one would love nothing more than to see that McInnes’s puss when we eventually get the upper hand on his oversized squad

I’m now quoting Stevie “slippy” G when he stated after beating Sellik that they’ve been planning “this season” “stopping TIAR has been in plan for 2 years so maybe we need to just calm a bit and give JR a bit of time as this isnae really a normal year

Tin hat firmly on BTW

We were a good bit behind Aberdeen when we we rejoined this league and we are still a good bit behind them now. It's hard to argue against the idea that we have regressed since our 1st season back in the top flight, particularly the latter half of that season. Aberdeen have largely flatlined from that point.

2 wins in 13 games v them doesn't lie. Neither do the league placings in that time. Neither does the fact they have players in their squad that we wanted in ours. Aberdeen are a better side than us and, both in terms of finance and football ambition, a more attractive option for a player with that choice to make.

I don't like it but it's the reality. They will win more games against us this season than we win against them and will finish comfortably clear of us in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    I like many others am utterly sick/disappointed with the last 2 results/performance but still feel strongly enough to try and put my point over

As much as I am spewing I do think we need to calm down a bit

We’re a relatively new team whilst I agree with people stating “we grinded out that result “

Over the Last few years we wouldn’t have ground out that result!! we’d have been BEAT most times

Yes Aeeeberdeeeeen are a thorn in our side and I for one would love nothing more than to see that McInnes’s puss when we eventually get the upper hand on his oversized squad

I’m now quoting Stevie “slippy” G when he stated after beating Sellik that they’ve been planning “this season” “stopping TIAR has been in plan for 2 years so maybe we need to just calm a bit and give JR a bit of time as this isnae really a normal year

Tin hat firmly on BTW
    I've intentionally stayed clear from Hibs.net, as I can understand that there will be an over reaction.

Whilst agreeing with what you write, I can also understand those who are criticising our players, manager, board etc.

For me, we are far too light in terms of player numbers. I feel we've only got 14-15 reliably good players, which isn't enough for a long hard season.

I also think our set-up is wrong when playing the better teams. Playing only two in midfield, with two wide players, is not working against the better teams. Our forward players are fighting a losing battle in such cases against good defences.

Boyle and whoever is in the left haven't performed in games against the better teams. Is that their fault or the set-up.

The manager, who I support 100%, needs to address this, and soon.