hibs.net Messageboard

Page 366 of 429 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368376416 ... LastLast
Results 10,951 to 10,980 of 12846

Thread: Pet Peeves IV

It's all the crushed stuff at the end of the cereal box that don't even resemble cereal, can't think how to describe it, just bits floating in your bowl

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I go to have my cereal in the morning and theres neither enough to fill my bowl or half fill my bowl, sorta inbetweeny portion 🤬

All the broken bits of Weetabix left in the bottom of the box, just waiting to fallout at the least convenient moment.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who only post negative reviews on TripAdvisor. I'd say TripAdvisor in general but thought I'd be more specific.

I was looking at a restaurant on there the other day (trying to harvest a bit info before a works meeting). Of the 200 something reviews the vast majority were excellent or very good. Only 2 were terrible. One was to do with a booking mishap so the people never even ate at the restaurant, annoying for the person involved but one bad review doesn't suggest it's a regular occurrence. The other was from a guy who slammed the food, service, atmosphere, prices etc etc. I had a browse and he has left 18 reviews in a 3 year period, every single one 1 or 2 stars.

Now he might just be terribly unlucky but my gut instinct is he is one of those people who actively enjoys complaining and it enhances rather than detracts from any experience. I'm convinced these people exist. Every one of his reviews ended with 'there are better restaurants, pubs, cafes 5 minutes walks away at a fraction of the price'. Well why not tell us about those then with some positive reviews? Surely places that are multiple times the quality at a fraction of the price are well worth a 5 star review. Where is the fun in that though?
    I attended a customer care/people first seminar thing nearly 30 years ago.
    Two things I learned, first was under promise-over deliver and if you disappoint one customer they will tell 10 people but impress 10 customers and you'll be lucky if they share that with one other person (technically, that's three things I was taught 🤔).

@hibs.net private member
    Another Trip Advisor annoyance, brilliant reviews for a hotel, accommodation, pool, apartments, food etc, all the usual stuff and then you get the saddo that puts in a real **** bit of advice followed by the customary photos of a human hair on the carpet, a wee bit of dust on the balcony, wee mark or tear on the wallpaper, just **** off and enjoy your holiday 🤬

I was in Italy many years back, carpets in the lobbys were a bit dated, decor was a bit dated, room was a bit dated but comfortable and functional.

The large bathroom had the usual bath with shower and I noticed halfway up the wall there were ants coming out of a wee hole, walking up to the top and into another hole, it was kind off hypnotising. Yeah I suppose not everyones cup of tea and some would have freaked out but the ants were just at work and that was the only area they ‘frequented’ even my Wife just shrugged her shoulders and she hates insects

The facilities were ample, the food was ample and to be honest, all we wanted was a nice comfortable and quiet hotel with decent facilities and it didnt disappoint, ants n all

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Another Trip Advisor annoyance, brilliant reviews for a hotel, accommodation, pool, apartments, food etc, all the usual stuff and then you get the saddo that puts in a real **** bit of advice followed by the customary photos of a human hair on the carpet, a wee bit of dust on the balcony, wee mark or tear on the wallpaper, just **** off and enjoy your holiday 🤬

I was in Italy many years back, carpets in the lobbys were a bit dated, decor was a bit dated, room was a bit dated but comfortable and functional.

The large bathroom had the usual bath with shower and I noticed halfway up the wall there were ants coming out of a wee hole, walking up to the top and into another hole, it was kind off hypnotising. Yeah I suppose not everyones cup of tea and some would have freaked out but the ants were just at work and that was the only area they ‘frequented’ even my Wife just shrugged her shoulders and she hates insects

The facilities were ample, the food was ample and to be honest, all we wanted was a nice comfortable and quiet hotel with decent facilities and it didnt disappoint, ants n all
    Had the same in Spain (I'm a poet and don't know it), just plugged the hole with chewing gum and problem solved.

Secrets. Was planning to make a press release relating to my work tomorrow and have been working on it for a month, low and behold it's all over today's press.

The ones that get me are the people who complain about things that could have been sorted with a simple request or word to a member of staff.

My only real requirement for hotels, particularly on city breaks, is that they are clean. I like to get out and about on a break and it's really only somewhere to get my head down for a few hours. If the TV isn't 50", the carpet is a bit frayed and the wallpaper is a bit dated then my general reaction is 'so what'.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

"Ample food and facilities, and the ants respected our privacy. 5 stars"
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    "Ample food and facilities, and the ants respected our privacy. 5 stars"
    Totally, now if it was big beasties like hairy spiders or wasps then I would knock the stars down a bit 🫣

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Whrn you are in McDonalds or Taco Bell or something ordering from the touchscreens and the printer is out of paper so you dont have any evidence of what you've ordered or worse you miss your number coming up on the screen.

This leads to great panic in my life. McDonalds staff seem to trust you but at Taco Bell once I had to negotiate for ages to get what I'd ordered without any proof of having done so.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post
    Whrn you are in McDonalds or Taco Bell or something ordering from the touchscreens and the printer is out of paper so you dont have any evidence of what you've ordered or worse you miss your number coming up on the screen.

This leads to great panic in my life. McDonalds staff seem to trust you but at Taco Bell once I had to negotiate for ages to get what I'd ordered without any proof of having done so.
    I was genuinely confused by this. I think it just shows how long it has been since I was in a McDonalds (never been in a Taco Bell, thought they were American!). I just googled this and right enough big touchscreens you order from, modern technology eh! God this is a revelation, I have so many questions! Do you have to use them or is there still a counter you can go to to order food? If not does it mean you cannot order food from McDonalds if you only have cash? Do drive throughs have them order do you still speak?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    I was genuinely confused by this. I think it just shows how long it has been since I was in a McDonalds (never been in a Taco Bell, thought they were American!). I just googled this and right enough big touchscreens you order from, modern technology eh! God this is a revelation, I have so many questions! Do you have to use them or is there still a counter you can go to to order food? If not does it mean you cannot order food from McDonalds if you only have cash? Do drive throughs have them order do you still speak?
    Counter Service is still available. I'm sure there's a Taco Bell at Shandwick Place.

you still speak at the drive thru, although the rate so e of them get it wrong might be better just swapping it for a touchscreen!

in the burgerking in Livingston centre, I’ve heard the staff saying on multiple occasions to customers that all orders must be placed using the screens, and refusing to take orders at the counter… their loss I suppose

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMotta View Post

Glad somebody else feels this way! I’m always panicking when the receipt doesn’t follow. Not good for the auld anxiety.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People who only post negative reviews on TripAdvisor. I'd say TripAdvisor in general but thought I'd be more specific.

I was looking at a restaurant on there the other day (trying to harvest a bit info before a works meeting). Of the 200 something reviews the vast majority were excellent or very good. Only 2 were terrible. One was to do with a booking mishap so the people never even ate at the restaurant, annoying for the person involved but one bad review doesn't suggest it's a regular occurrence. The other was from a guy who slammed the food, service, atmosphere, prices etc etc. I had a browse and he has left 18 reviews in a 3 year period, every single one 1 or 2 stars.

Now he might just be terribly unlucky but my gut instinct is he is one of those people who actively enjoys complaining and it enhances rather than detracts from any experience. I'm convinced these people exist. Every one of his reviews ended with 'there are better restaurants, pubs, cafes 5 minutes walks away at a fraction of the price'. Well why not tell us about those then with some positive reviews? Surely places that are multiple times the quality at a fraction of the price are well worth a 5 star review. Where is the fun in that though?
    I don’t trust trip advisor reviews for hotels as they are so subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I still read them but bad reviews from total maniacs are more likely to make me stay somewhere than good reviews from normal people.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Me neither, having worked at the Caley for ten years and read some of the reviews, knowing what actually happened made me realise that most folk exaggerate the complaint tenfold when writing a review.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Glad somebody else feels this way! I’m always panicking when the receipt doesn’t follow. Not good for the auld anxiety.
    The new McDonalds set up was obviously devised by someone who has never worked on the front line in their life.

I went about 15 years not going to McDonalds, roughly between exiting my teens and having kids of my own. Going back all those years they had a heated servery with all the popular items ready to go, you ordered, paid and within about a minute your food was with you. Now they have those touch screen things, you get your number, a load of people sare standing about seemingly doing not a lot, a few folk are in the back running about daft, food sporadically comes down a chute thing, the doing not a lot people try to put it into some semblance of order, a whole load of bleeping and ringing goes on constantly and 15 minutes later you finally get presented with some food. It's a total mess but I bet the wastage stats look great on a spreadsheet.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

People having conversations on the stairs at ER.

If you think that is exciting, I was at the McDonalds in Copenhagen recently and they cook all the food upstairs then send it down to the ground floor where the tills are on an electronic pulley system in bags, which then drops the bag to a server who then shouts out the order no. Quite mesmerising to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Its not good mate, but ive trained myself now to focus intently on the number on the screen just in case.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    You can still speak at a drive through, but I typically get my wife to order on the app as we're driving and then I just have to say the app collection number when I get there. Just to confuse matters further for you.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Me neither, having worked at the Caley for ten years and read some of the reviews, knowing what actually happened made me realise that most folk exaggerate the complaint tenfold when writing a review.
    My Wife uses Trip Advisor all the time and to be honest we have been in many holidays over the years and have never been let down. If you can see past the obvious trolls/attention seeking posts and find a balance. Holidays are tailored to individuals needs, what we enjoy others may not and that could be from comfort, staff pleasantness, food, accommodation etc

Whats the chances of our next one being **** now 🤣

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Luggage going missing when you are flying and the whole process around reclaiming it.

Flew back from Thailand earlier in the week via Paris. Got a text from Air France upon landing at Edinburgh to say one of the checked bags never made the flight. Nothing about the second bag. Waited at the belt and neither of the bags were there. The missing baggage desk was closed and everyone from Swissport (AF’s handling agent) had gone home. Someone from Border Control advised to scan a QR code and fill in the resultant form. This required describing the cases against the tracking number but were unsure which cases had been assigned to which tracking number.

Got a text and email the next morning to say the other case to the one they messaged about upon landing was on that morning’s Paris-Edinburgh flight. It arrived at the house the following afternoon and we then realised that of course, we chose the wrong tracking number against each bag but nevertheless they had delivered it. Great. Except having the wrong description against the tracking number for the other one now seems to be causing great issue.

There’s no phone number to phone either, just an online portal that isn’t updated timeously!

@hibs.net private member
    Luggage going missing when you are flying and the whole process around reclaiming it.

Flew back from Thailand earlier in the week via Paris. Got a text from Air France upon landing at Edinburgh to say one of the checked bags never made the flight. Nothing about the second bag. Waited at the belt and neither of the bags were there. The missing baggage desk was closed and everyone from Swissport (AF’s handling agent) had gone home. Someone from Border Control advised to scan a QR code and fill in the resultant form. This required describing the cases against the tracking number but were unsure which cases had been assigned to which tracking number.

Got a text and email the next morning to say the other case to the one they messaged about upon landing was on that morning’s Paris-Edinburgh flight. It arrived at the house the following afternoon and we then realised that of course, we chose the wrong tracking number against each bag but nevertheless they had delivered it. Great. Except having the wrong description against the tracking number for the other one now seems to be causing great issue.

There’s no phone number to phone either, just an online portal that isn’t updated timeously!
    I know one of the drivers who delivers lost baggage back to the owner all over Scotland. He says there are literally hundreds of bags/cases every week. It is much more common than you hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Secrets. Was planning to make a press release relating to my work tomorrow and have been working on it for a month, low and behold it's all over today's press.

Just read this and now want to know more.

Any chance of a link

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Just read this and now want to know more.

Any chance of a link
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.morgenpost.de/vermischtes/article237339777/charles-koenig-camilla-deutschland-besuch-royals.html%3fservice=amp

Was really pissed of with some colleagues angry that they heard it in the press first

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.morgenpost.de/vermischtes/article237339777/charles-koenig-camilla-deutschland-besuch-royals.html%3fservice=amp

Was really pissed of with some colleagues angry that they heard it in the press first

Danke.

Bit of a random one but when you watch news reports or features from care homes and there always seems to be someone signing Vera Lynn or other songs from WWII. Why?

My Grandad is 90 this year, he was 12 when WWII ended. He's got no more interest in Vera Lynn than someone who is 9 this year. He likes jazz as well as the likes of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Matt Monro and Tony Bennett. He'd listen to a bit of Elvis, The Beatles or similar too.

You'd have to be pushing 100 for the likes of Vera Lynn, The Andrews Sisters or Tommy Dorsey to be your era.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruz View Post
    It's all the crushed stuff at the end of the cereal box that don't even resemble cereal, can't think how to describe it, just bits floating in your bowl
    Oooh the best bit of any cereal! The ‘crumbs’ have always been my favourite.

I should add though that I always ate my cereal dry (and haven’t had it regularly in many years!)