hibs.net Messageboard

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Trigger happy? Surely you’re not saying that there’s fans wanting him sacked? He’s going to need a lot of time to implement his vision and if he’s not flexible in doing so he’ll face a lot of criticism along the way. With the players we had available and the weather conditions last night we needed to be much more flexible in our approach, that was brutally obvious when Motherwell went down to 10 men. I’d imagine all hibs fans want to see us play in the same style as Belgium, but even Belgium didn’t go from being also rans to the number 1 team in the world by just changing manager, they had a complete revolution in how they approached coaching, it took years to come to fruition. Maloney maybe needs a reality check if he wants to be a successful club manager.
    Not trigger happy in wanting him sacked, more in the sense of deciding his style of football isn't working.Absolutely Belgium didn't get to top spot by just changing managers, they changed way they approached games, changed mindsets, changed culture,brought players into the set up that could play the way the management team wanted to play , and those weren't always the best players, but played well in the structure.These things do take time and players have to adapt to that.Shaun brought on more attacking players when Motherwell went down to 10 men, but they fitted in to the structure.
    I'm sure we will get players in that will fit into the way the manager wants us to play, and ones that can't will move on.
    Next 2-3 days, rest of season plus summer window will give us more of an idea of what he wants and then we can judge whether he's successful or not

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member St.Kristopher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss_Nass View Post
    Wright getting a game is bemusing. Don’t know why Doidge wasn’t brought on sooner, albeit he did miss an absolute sitter.
    I think we need to treat it as a new team. Wright came to us from St Johnston, with real promise (based on their manager and fans comments). In fact, I was shocked at how poor he was. Though if he had transferred in just before Maloney took over, I would think there is a good chance many fans would think he could be a real player for us. Didn't do loads against Motherwell but drew the challenge to put them down to 10.

As for the style of play, I am willing to sit a wait and see. I think many fans are getting caught up by the fact Hearts are doing well. If they had a stuttering return and sat 2 points behind, the negative noise would be turned down.

It's very early days but both interested and excited to see how this builds. We don't have it in the final third yet but thank F for defending crosses and not shelling it after 20 passes.

Ross (not a bad manager) was fortunate to have Boyle as he glossed over so many issues that Hecky had (also not a bad manager). Early days but the new management team is building something different, and I’m enjoying watching it so far with hope and expectation.

Aberdeen, Hearts (and, to a lesser extent so far, Dundee United) are all building something like us, so it’s not going to be easy. However, I think it will raise all our games and be a fun watch.

When I have seen Hearts, Gordon keeps them in a lot the games.

He is safe and an excellent shot stopper. There are stats out there that for a team in 3rd place, Gordon has proportionately faced more shots on goal than any other goalkeeper in the league. Not seen him make many errors other than the one he made last night.

The players signed by Hearts are of no better pedigree than the players signed by Hibs. Most of them are loans, players unable to get a regular first team start or signed from the lower leagues in England.

The points difference is mainly due to that period of 10 games where we could not win one, which ultimately led to Ross getting sacked. We have finished above them in the league for the last 4-5 seasons and there was always going to be a time when, with their benefactor, they would get some signings right.

However, Gordon is having a great season. Him and because we are in transition are the main reasons why they are ahead of us and probably will be by at the end of the season.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Has anyone noticed the back 3 seen not to stray forward as much under Maloney?

Under JR there was loads of times mcginn or hanlon would be supporting the left or mid midfielders getting forward and putting crosses in as where it seems they are now staying back,
    Know it’s early days but it was pretty noticeable yesterday against 10 men

Quote Originally Posted by 1875Sean View Post

Under JR there was loads of times mcginn or hanlon would be supporting the left or mid midfielders getting forward and putting crosses in as where it seems they are now staying back,
    That's a good point actually, hadn't noticed it but now you mention it I think you're right.

That has always been one of my favourite things about playing a back 3, I think Hanlon did it brilliantly under Lennon for example.

I imagine Maloney wants them to remain back as a permanent passing option for the midfield instead of marauding forward.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I do think we’re progressing under Maloney. We did get into good areas against Motherwell, but were inadequate on the night when it came to converting those chances. We did the same against Cove - as well as having what should have been a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed.

We had several games under Ross after we didn’t get a shot on target, but in those games the biggest distance was that we never seemed to be able to string more than two passes together - there’s a marked difference there under Maloney.

He’s not had anything like his strongest eleven yet, imho. There is much more to come from this side.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    That's a good point actually, hadn't noticed it but now you mention it I think you're right.

That has always been one of my favourite things about playing a back 3, I think Hanlon did it brilliantly under Lennon for example.

I imagine Maloney wants them to remain back as a permanent passing option for the midfield instead of marauding forward.
    I'm not so sure...when he came in he spoke about players mobility and movement about the pitch, making it harder for the opposition to track them a là Man city. My guess is he's trying to build a strong foundation before implementation of this more fully.

Once we're at full strength I think we'll see this more, hence the acquisition of players like Clarke and Mitchell. I was brought up a Newcastle fan and as much as I'd love to see us replicate the Keegan years, we simply don't have the players yet to go swashbuckling!

Give it time, I'm confident it'll reap rewards 👍

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Thought the changes he made were fine after the sending off, defensive minded players off and more attack minded players on. Game was constantly stopping after the red though.

I was more annoyed at what I saw before that. It was clear the game was just drifting along and our first change was to bring Drey Wright on.
    Yep the changes were positive we didnt play well in that period at all two very poor passes causing us problems and couldn't get out. Doidge scores we win the game though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yep the changes were positive we didnt play well in that period at all two very poor passes causing us problems and couldn't get out. Doidge scores we win the game though.
    My only reflection on it was : where there so many changes that they disrupted our flow ?

Quote Originally Posted by Martymck View Post
    Getting really tired of this instant gratification society these days ,you think players learn to be professional players overnight,and managers ,many great players teams and managers took time
    Totally agree we win everything great we lose everything rubbish. No appreciation that changing a squad and style of play with injuries and suspensions is very difficult and takes time. Nothing happens overnight and patience is required which laughably already seems to be running out for some after 4 yes 4 games. Support the team it's what good fans do.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    My only reflection on it was : where there so many changes that they disrupted our flow ?
    Could well have been didnt get Newell coming off to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I do think we’re progressing under Maloney. We did get into good areas against Motherwell, but were inadequate on the night when it came to converting those chances. We did the same against Cove - as well as having what should have been a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed.

We had several games under Ross after we didn’t get a shot on target, but in those games the biggest distance was that we never seemed to be able to string more than two passes together - there’s a marked difference there under Maloney.

He’s not had anything like his strongest eleven yet, imho. There is much more to come from this side.
    Agree with all of that once we get one or two better attacking players in and others up to speed you will see what we can be which I think will be very good. Takes time though and patience from the support

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Could well have been didnt get Newell coming off to be honest.
    It was right after his terrible pass

Could have thought that was a tired pass to play

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    I like what Maloney is doing, reminds me of Tony Mowbray and getting in younger, hungrier players who are eager to get first team football. Moving on Gogic, Allan and Hallberg is exactly what we needed to do, I just hope like Mowbray he’s able to unearth a Boozy type player and a right battler like Kevin Thomson. I’m not so worried about getting a ‘like for like’ for Boyle, if we are able to add real creative play from midfield. We’ve yet to see what Hauge and Melkerson offer and that’s exciting - both might have pace to their game. The key to getting up the table is finding genuine creativity in that middle area.

I must admit, Charles Cook does have everything you look for in a wide player - plays with confidence and a smile on his face, he’d definitely be one I’d want Hibs to test Ross County with an offer.

Good point. 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games though

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar

Playing with 3 at the back as we did against Motherwell allows the 2 wing backs to get forward. You can't expect the defense to be exposed when playing this system.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Sheggs84
    Quote Originally Posted by green with envy View Post
    Playing with 3 at the back as we did against Motherwell allows the 2 wing backs to get forward. You can't expect the defense to be exposed when playing this system.
    When you have 2 holding midfielders there should be enough cover for one to join in in every now and the , there was plenty times mcginn was playing in a back 3 and pushed up as a right back to put crosses in the box, getting the odd assist

Funny you should say that but I was thinking the same and it reminded me of the Bertie Auld era.

Maybe Bertie was just ahead of his time

😏

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    Funny you should say that but I was thinking the same and it reminded me of the Bertie Auld era.

Maybe Bertie was just ahead of his time

😏
    Don't remember us ever playing 3 at the back in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Bertie needed way more defenders than 3 !

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

They were pushing forward more in the first couple of games under Maloney but with our makeshift defence in recent weeks I think we have been prioritising defensive solidity at the expense of getting them forward.

Once we have Porteous and Hanlon back, plus Clarke if he’s utilised at CB then I’d be expect to see the centre backs stepping forward into midfield a bit more.

I mean't the defenders being told not to go forward. I can't remember who it was but one of the early 80's team discussed it years later.

He said they were in a training game and, as was the norm, he charged up the field with the ball, so Bertie shouted 'stop the f#ckin gemme!' and told him in no uncertain terms to never do that again.

Honestly, the guy would be a big hit in modern football

😁

I noticed it and thought it totally neutralised the man advantage we had after they had the man sent off.

We had lots of men back contributing little whilst we toiled to create further forward.

I did think that prior to that it was quite a nice, tight defensive set up that gave away very little by way of chances to Motherwell.

Win tomorrow and all will be rosey in the garden. Amazing what wins will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Win tomorrow and all will be rosey in the garden. Amazing what wins will do.
    And if it's a goalless draw with 183% possession but no shots on target? 😀

I’m putting my neck on the line here, I think we’ll batter them tomorrow.

Maloney isn’t daft and knows exactly what the problem is despite what he says in the press.

I think we’ll be very attacking tomorrow. Porteous back will make a huge difference also in playing out.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I’m putting my neck on the line here, I think we’ll batter them tomorrow.

Maloney isn’t daft and knows exactly what the problem is despite what he says in the press.

I think we’ll be very attacking tomorrow. Porteous back will make a huge difference also in playing out.
    Hope you are right. I fancy another 0-0 though. I was at Livi against Dundee and Livi work so hard and are really well structured and drilled. We look like we can only string a series of passes together if it involves deep midfielders, goalie and our defenders and that usually finishes with a hoof. It will get better but I think it a a good few weeks before it does

While we were playing our no shots on target borefest against Motherwell Hearts were gaining plaudits for their attacking efforts from which Celtic were lucky to escape-shots on target. 1.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    While we were playing our no shots on target borefest against Motherwell Hearts were gaining plaudits for their attacking efforts from which Celtic were lucky to escape-shots on target. 1.
    It was offside too.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    I just don’t remember that far back