hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abuse

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we ever get to the stage that fans are told exactly what they can and can’t say at a game we might as well call it a day.
    I'm not sure I get your point.

You are quite rightly not allowed to shout rascist, sectarian (unless you are OF!) or homophobic abuse at folk.

So, it is, thankfully, already dictated by society what you can and can't shout. And also what is acceptable evolves.

The point is what the folk around me are doing is not appropriate, they are just not reading the room that everyone else thinks they are an erse.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Angry little men who are taking out their life troubles on some teenagers and 20 year olds.

@hibs.net private member
    Aye, It's the fans fault again for another awful performance.

The standards at Hibs need to rise. The acceptance of mediocrity is a reason why we'll always get that, until a better mentality is installed at the club.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

The standards at Hibs need to rise. The acceptance of mediocrity is a reason why we'll always get that, until a better mentality is installed at the club.
    A better mentality isnt moaning because we keep the ball.

First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    The abuse and booing was embarassing.

If Cove never had luck on their side and we had semi capable refs we would have been at least 1-0 up through Doidge and potentially 2 when he was through on goal. Wrong offsides saved them and would have made it a lot more comfortable.

It was always going to be a tough game, I don’t know why people think differently.

I mentioned on the match day thread that fans always moan about players and say they need to show composure, how about the fans show some too?

It was like spoilt brats the amount they were booing or if the players never launched it forward.

You could actually see a period in the game the players were starting to go away from what Maloney wanted because of the fans and funnily enough that’s when Cove had their best spell.

Maloney was seen telling Newell to ignore them and it will work and it did.

It took far longer than what I should of but we missed some amount of chances.
    I have to agree with all of the above. I’ve had a season ticket for as long as I care to remember. I’m also at 99% of away games and have done this since the 80s.

I get that fans want to vent frustration and the likes but this has taken on a whole new level in the last few years. Some of the abuse aimed at the players is disgusting, relentless and constant regardless of how they are playing, and there seems to be more and more of our (dwindling) support joining in.

Maloneys been in the door five minutes and he’s already being crucified in some social media quarters and from the stands. It’s ridiculous. The old guy and his son sat behind me last night literally had nothing good to say about any player barring mueller. They slated near enough everyone constantly. The absolute negativity and abuse they gave joe Newell, who I thought was very good at times last night, was utterly shameful at times.

Have we become the best team in the world in recent years and as we are not reaching the top with every kick of the ball we are merited in slagging, criticising and abusing the players constantly. No we’ve not and we shouldn’t be. I know it’s probably inherent at most clubs but if there was a league table for moaning fans we would be right up there challenging. Then the fans would moan if we didn’t win that as well.

I feel for some of our players and the crap that’s hurled at them. New manager, trying to teach old dogs new tricks overnight and we can’t just get behind it fully. It can be hard being a Hibby but there will be times when it can be easy and wonderful. Not for some fans though obviously

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a crock of ****

There has never in my lifetime been an acceptance of mediocrity within the club.

That criticism comes from folk too divorced from reality to see that the club struggles its best against some opponents with far greater resources.

That "acceptance of mediocrity" is a worthless soundbite dreamed up by those who need something to moan about.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaleHibs View Post
    I have to agree with all of the above. I’ve had a season ticket for as long as I care to remember. I’m also at 99% of away games and have done this since the 80s.

I get that fans want to vent frustration and the likes but this has taken on a whole new level in the last few years. Some of the abuse aimed at the players is disgusting, relentless and constant regardless of how they are playing, and there seems to be more and more of our (dwindling) support joining in.

Maloneys been in the door five minutes and he’s already being crucified in some social media quarters and from the stands. It’s ridiculous. The old guy and his son sat behind me last night literally had nothing good to say about any player barring mueller. They slated near enough everyone constantly. The absolute negativity and abuse they gave joe Newell, who I thought was very good at times last night, was utterly shameful at times.

Have we become the best team in the world in recent years and as we are not reaching the top with every kick of the ball we are merited in slagging, criticising and abusing the players constantly. No we’ve not and we shouldn’t be. I know it’s probably inherent at most clubs but if there was a league table for moaning fans we would be right up there challenging. Then the fans would moan if we didn’t win that as well.

I feel for some of our players and the crap that’s hurled at them. New manager, trying to teach old dogs new tricks overnight and we can’t just get behind it fully. It can be hard being a Hibby but there will be times when it can be easy and wonderful. Not for some fans though obviously
    Great post

Loathe to criticise any fans who actually bothered to go to the game last night, the football served up was pretty horrendous.

You were one of the offenders weren't you Steve.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You were one of the offenders weren't you Steve.
    Does it on twitter under most posts by the social media team too.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    Cringing badly, does he really?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    I have about 100 muted on twitter due to comments after posts from the official site.
    Makes it a much more pleasant experience.

Didnt sit in my normal seat last night and tried somewhere else for a change. 3 lads behind me moaned from the first minute, not shouting but they had nothing good to say. I moved after about 10 mins. I thought it was quite a hard watch at times last night and the slow patient build does nothing to improve the atmosphere. The few times we injected a bit of pace and got forward quicker the crowd lifted. I agree a lot of the booing/abuse it totally over the top but i fear nothing will change with this style of football. You can only imagine the reaction of the crowd if we are 1 down to hertz with 10 mins to go and we are passing the ball around/backwards with no urgency.

Hibs fans = bad!

Some on here must pray for it to happen so they can come on here and say how great a hibs fan they are and everyone else is a disgrace and embarrassment blah blah

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by we are hibs; 21-01-2022 at 07:56 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Hibs fans = bad!

Some on here must pray for it to happen so they can come on here and say how great a hibs fan they are and everyone else is a disgrace and embarrassment blah blah

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Keyboard warriors... its like school sports day, we should give the fat kid praise for finishing last. Doig shanks a simple cross into the south stand..oh dont upset the lad for not being able to do a job he's highly paid for or murphy doing the same **** everygame... aye stop yer moaning.

Do well you'll get the praise you deserve, do **** you should rightly be slated...

I’m assuming the way to prove you don’t accept mediocrity is to relentlessly abuse the team and manager?

Why do you people believe that helps? What does it achieve?

Would a more supportive environment help the team be less mediocre? I’m thinking it maybe would. Strange that in the one game this season where the team got loud encouragement from start to finish that they managed to hump Rangers at Hampden….

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    I know exactly what you mean, there are 4 or 5 guys that sit behind me in the East Stand and they generally spend the entire 90 mins screaming abuse at the players or the Ref.

And weirdly it's not as if the players/Ref can actually hear them anyway! Clearly they are just not getting their hole at home and need to take out their frustrations at someone.

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    Keyboard warriors... its like school sports day, we should give the fat kid praise for finishing last. Doig shanks a simple cross into the south stand..oh dont upset the lad for not being able to do a job he's highly paid for or murphy doing the same **** everygame... aye stop yer moaning.

Do well you'll get the praise you deserve, do **** you should rightly be slated...
    You are not a supporter.

Fans shouting abuse at players! Oh the poor wee lambs.
    Bollox thread this is!
    We should be more concerned about the lack of fans at Easter Road.
    We could be down to 6000 season ticket holders next season.
    It doesn't look good 😕

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    We had different seats tonight nearer the half way line and there was a woman behind us who basically just screamed constantly. She just sounded really unhappy to be there for the majority of the game.
    Have you ever thought it might be you?

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

20 year old boy miss hits one cross and you think that gives you the right to verbally abuse him?

Loser.

If you read Eddie Turnbull and Lawrie Reilly's autobiographies the FF, and in particular those two players, were getting abused back in the 50s when things didn't go well!

The abuse the likes of Benny Brazil and Brian Hamilton got began before they got on the pitch.

It's not a thing particular to Hibs, I was at Old Trafford twenty years ago and couldn't believe a guy behind me slaughtering Ryan Giggs for 90 minutes.

For a lot of people Hibs, and every other football club, is the wife/partner/boss/workmate they cant shout at and Hibs are the substitute vehicle for venting all their anger. It's not right but it's always been this way.

Missed most of the first half but heard the last 10 mins of it on the radio
    One of the pundits said "You can see the style SM is trying to bring to Hibs and fans will love the football the team plays when they're winning but they will hate it when they're losing because scottish football needs a massive culture reboot"

or words to that effect. And they were spot on, a lot of fans WANT the club to play football (and this isnt specific to Hibs, its the same in most grounds including national stadium), but when players choose to try and play out of trouble the fans are on their back to "get rid of it". Or when we make a backward pass the groans start up

It's not basketball we're playing, there's no need to just get it forward as fast as we can without method. Of course there's a balance and it has to be leading to something but we as a nation need to embrace keeping the ball on the ground and the odd risk when passing out from the back

Do you think he doesn't know he's shanked it like?

That you need to scream at him to let him know it's gone out?

What does screaming abuse achieve other than making you feel like a big man?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Do you think he doesn't know he's shanked it like?

That you need to scream at him to let him know it's gone out?

What does screaming abuse achieve other than making you feel like a big man?
    He was probably too busy booing to notice Josh running himself into the ground in extra time to help us get the winning goal.

Quote Originally Posted by mutley View Post
    I know exactly what you mean, there are 4 or 5 guys that sit behind me in the East Stand and they generally spend the entire 90 mins screaming abuse at the players or the Ref.

And weirdly it's not as if the players/Ref can actually hear them anyway! Clearly they are just not getting their hole at home and need to take out their frustrations at someone.
    Very droll and probably very accurate. Most fans use er to get out all their frustrations with family,work,covid politics,cost of living etc etc. The same happens when parents watch their kids playing a sport and they scream every time the ref does something they don't agree with or they kid is tackled. I accept that but some folk go way ott and get on everybody's wick.

This thread is nothing short of embarrassing, what do you want people to do, sit on their hands the entire game? Or praise the gallant effort of the boys for falling over the finish line with a 1-0 victory against Cove Rangers in extra time… Do me a favour

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    I've always found it odd that folk shout abuse at players for making mistakes, when not a single one of them would last 2 minutes playing on a pitch.

Why shout abuse at someone for not doing something perfectly, that you can't even do at all? Nout weird as folk...
    No more grief for refs or managers then...

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFantastic View Post
    This thread is nothing short of embarrassing, what do you want people to do, sit on their hands the entire game? Or praise the gallant effort of the boys for falling over the finish line with a 1-0 victory against Cove Rangers in extra time… Do me a favour
    So someone not doing their job well should be abused in public?

Going anywhere and shouting abuse at people is weird.

A reactive "ffs that was mince" is natural. But standing up and shouting "you're pish go f yourself" is not.

One is fine, one shows maybe you need to reevaluate tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyFantastic View Post
    Get behind the team as they try to negotiate a tricky cup tie?