hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

What happened to being a supporter ?

I have to say I utterly despair of the amount of undeserved criticism being flung at the club right now, mostly by people who actually claim to be Hibs supporters. Since our relegation and the appointment of Dempsey, we have had some of the most positive, progressive leadership the club has had in decades. We have been promoted, we have won the cup, we have amassed a record points total, we have attracted record season ticket sales. The turnaround has been amazing......but guess what, we’ve hit a blip, our team has been underperforming for a few months and we have lost a manager. Time to circle the wagons, rally round the club and support the staff who have brought about our turn in fortunes ? Not in 2019 it would seem. Instead we get post after post from myopic “customers” ( I won’t call them supporters, because they mind spend money buying tickets, but that doesn’t make you a supporter) desperate to regurgitate any west coast bias rubbish spouted by the red tops and slag off our club. Quite frankly it’s pathetic, puerile and spineless.

stop moaning, show some loyalty and let’s put some trust in our club.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to say I utterly despair of the amount of undeserved criticism being flung at the club right now, mostly by people who actually claim to be Hibs supporters. Since our relegation and the appointment of Dempsey, we have had some of the most positive, progressive leadership the club has had in decades. We have been promoted, we have won the cup, we have amassed a record points total, we have attracted record season ticket sales. The turnaround has been amazing......but guess what, we’ve hit a blip, our team has been underperforming for a few months and we have lost a manager. Time to circle the wagons, rally round the club and support the staff who have brought about our turn in fortunes ? Not in 2019 it would seem. Instead we get post after post from myopic “customers” ( I won’t call them supporters, because they mind spend money buying tickets, but that doesn’t make you a supporter) desperate to regurgitate any west coast bias rubbish spouted by the red tops and slag off our club. Quite frankly it’s pathetic, puerile and spineless.

100% agree. We need to Makepeace with each other and move on.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Social media has made it a chuffing nightmare, I sometimes wish this board was never created!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

What's happened to supporters suddenly becoming patronising beyond belief just because others oppose their opinion, these kind of threads are boring. People like yourself bemoan any sort of criticism of our cub yet are quite happy to berate an element of our support that regardless of what you suggest all have the same thing in common.. supporting hibs.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 13-02-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The "Hibs way" is to have one good season in the top flight followed by about 3 bad ones. Currently we are showing no sign of bucking that trend.

I backed the board when it looked like progress was being made in the Chamiponship and last season. The warning signs are there that we are reverting back to type. It's entirely possible that we can turn this season around, in which case all criticism will disappear. For the moment though, it's looking unlikely.

We backed the team in record numbers of STs and have accumulated a great deal of transfer money, and so far we are miles off our nearest rivals let alone the top six, and if we fail to make the top six then we are heading for the fourth season this decade without a single win against Hearts, unless we buck a nearly six year trend at Tynecastle. You are allowed to complain.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism of where we are. Some people People will do this because they care.

Blind acceptance developing into slavish belief is how the maroon balloons allowed themselves to be duped by Romanov and nearly cost them their club as well as the stigma they've been left with.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterjambo View Post

Patronising at very best.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post

One for you 80s fans there, pop pickers.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Can I ask you a question ? Would you treat your family the way some of our support are currently treating Hibs ? When things go wrong at home do you start shouting and screaming and throwing your toys out of the pram ? When your kid fails exams or gets in trouble do you just abuse them for stupidity or do you roll up your sleeves and try to help ? When your wife loses her job, and some of the interviews for a new one that she has don't go as well as you've hoped, do you ball her out, call her a shambles and threaten to leave ? Or do you tell her you love her and spend a bit less money down the pub and try to make sure she is confident for her next interview ?

There is nothing wrong with fair criticism of the club. Currently we have had a manager who had been in charge during a massive slump leave...we are trying to find the best replacement. An element of our support decides this is the perfect opportunity to shout "Shambles" and "Pathetic" and generally undermine the club at every opportunity. I don't consider that fair criticism of the club.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Nothing has happened to being a supporter for most of us it’s just the vocal, overnight supporters we picked up when we won the cup don’t like the reality of not getting into Europe ever year and winning cups, this’ll be proven when season ticket renewals barely scrape 10K.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    What's happened to supporters suddenly becoming patronising beyond belief just because others oppose their opinion, these kind of threads are boring. People like yourself bemoan any sort of criticism of our cub yet are quite happy to berate an element of our support that regardless of what you suggest all have the same thing in common.. supporting hibs.
    I don't bemoan any sort of criticism. I bemoan unjust criticism, when what is needed is support. Be interested in your answer to my post above about how people treat their family by comparison.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is it just to do with opposing opinion or is it how that opinion has been put across. The abuse without foundation thats being displayed is above and beyond. Fair enough if there was something to base it on. So its not bemoaning criticism , its bemoaning moaning. Its bemoaning hysterical words like 'disaster' & 'shambolic' with nothing to back it up. I've no doubt the majority here all want the same thing but theres a few who seem to value 'them being heard' over love for the club (although when challenged they will dress it up as that).

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I don't bemoan any sort of criticism. I bemoan unjust criticism, when what is needed is support. Be interested in your answer to my post above about how people treat their family by comparison.

You are though. You even suggest Hibs fans who are getting their news from the West Coast rags (in the absence of anything substantial coming from the club) aren’t real supporters. Have a word.

Testimonial Due
    Can I ask you a question ? Would you treat your family the way some of our support are currently treating Hibs ? When things go wrong at home do you start shouting and screaming and throwing your toys out of the pram ? When your kid fails exams or gets in trouble do you just abuse them for stupidity or do you roll up your sleeves and try to help ? When your wife loses her job, and some of the interviews for a new one that she has don't go as well as you've hoped, do you ball her out, call her a shambles and threaten to leave ? Or do you tell her you love her and spend a bit less money down the pub and try to make sure she is confident for her next interview ?

There is nothing wrong with fair criticism of the club. Currently we have had a manager who had been in charge during a massive slump leave...we are trying to find the best replacement. An element of our support decides this is the perfect opportunity to shout "Shambles" and "Pathetic" and generally undermine the club at every opportunity. I don't consider that fair criticism of the club.
    Well said

As some one else said it is simply social media, it will take years to change people's habits online. So in the meantime some of us will just have to agree to disagree.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Fans starting to throw around accusations about other fans not being real supporters - one of the key stages of the 'Football Club in Turmoil' process imo.

The scarf of the pitch photo can't be too far off now

I suppose the question is what constitutes support? If guys are buying STs, turning up week in and week out and spending their hard earned then does having a moan on the internet negate that and make them 'not a supporter?

I've had the discussion several times over the last few weeks that there seems to have been a loss of the middle ground, it's arguably not exclusive to football either. Everything is an extreme; it's either 'pish' and a 'shambles' or it's 'shut up and take what you are given'. I'd argue there are valid criticisms that could be leveled at Hibs over the course of the last 2 weeks, I don't think they have managed the media well (that doesn't mean releasing any formal statement every 2 minutes) but equally I think the 'Dempster out' calls are bonkers as well.

FWIW I have found there to be a higher number of 'cool heads' on here than elsewhere. At the game on Saturday the folk I speak to around me were all very critical of the club, there's a guy in my work who is a home and away every week type who seems on course for a heart attack and Facebook and Twitter is an absolute minefield.

Personally I've never equated being a supporter with clapping on demand like a trained seal. If I think Hibs deserve criticism then I'll criticise, if I think they deserve defending then I'll defend them. In this situation I think they deserve a bit of both.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Fans starting to throw around accusations about other fans not being real supporters - one of the key stages of the 'Football Club in Turmoil' process imo.

The scarf of the pitch photo can't be too far off now
    Surprised it hasnt happened already...Not because its deserved just because of the general tantrums were seeing across social media.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Over a few folks head 😂

Feel old now.

Comparing a football club to your family is mental.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post

Was there any need to change his username in your're quoted reply, exactly the sort of thing the OP is on about, nae need.

Absolutely bonkers analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I suppose the question is what constitutes support? If guys are buying STs, turning up week in and week out and spending their hard earned then does having a moan on the internet negate that and make them 'not a supporter?

I've had the discussion several times over the last few weeks that there seems to have been a loss of the middle ground, it's arguably not exclusive to football either. Everything is an extreme; it's either 'pish' and a 'shambles' or it's 'shut up and take what you are given'. I'd argue there are valid criticisms that could be leveled at Hibs over the course of the last 2 weeks, I don't think they have managed the media well (that doesn't mean releasing any formal statement every 2 minutes) but equally I think the 'Dempster out' calls are bonkers as well.

FWIW I have found there to be a higher number of 'cool heads' on here than elsewhere. At the game on Saturday the folk I speak to around me were all very critical of the club, there's a guy in my work who is a home and away every week type who seems on course for a heart attack and Facebook and Twitter is an absolute minefield.

Personally I've never equated being a supporter with clapping on demand like a trained seal. If I think Hibs deserve criticism then I'll criticise, if I think they deserve defending then I'll defend them. In this situation I think they deserve a bit of both.
    thats a very fair and balanced response PB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    As some one else said it is simply social media, it will take years to change people's habits online. So in the meantime some of us will just have to agree to disagree.
    Social media /the internet !
    Instant "news" eh?
    Click of a button !
    Jeez, i mind when my Ma use to send air mail letters to a cousin in America
    From send to getting a reply could take weeks !!
    Happy Days !!

Trouble is almost 14,000 people bought into new Hibs, a club that had finally got it right and are now on a new successful path. Half a season later were sitting in 8th place, have lost our manager a few days before the end of a crucial transfer window for no apparent reason and are allegedly having difficulty replacing him. If we end up losing 1000’s of ST holders it will definitely be a disaster for the club as these folk that bought into the new Hibs won’t be back, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Was there any need to change his username in your're quoted reply, exactly the sort of thing the OP is on about, nae need.
    Hadn’t even noticed that. Juvenile behaviour.

You bemoan unjust criticism just because you believe it's unjust, a fair few of us believe the criticism is justified to a certain extent. Obviously there's going to be idiots who take it to far but to tag us all as "not real supporters" or board bashers is just nonsense. I personally think the last 3 weeks has been a bit of a shambles and no that's not due to the west coast media.
    Last edited by pacoluna; 13-02-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    Trouble is almost 14,000 people bought into new Hibs, a club that had finally got it right and are now on a new successful path. Half a season later were sitting in 8th place, have lost our manager a few days before the end of a crucial transfer window for no apparent reason and are allegedly having difficulty replacing him. If we end up losing 1000’s of ST holders it will definitely be a disaster for the club as these folk that bought into the new Hibs won’t be back, sadly.
    and shouting “Shambles” from the sidelines will help alleviate that problem ?

Hadn’t even noticed that. Juvenile behaviour.
    Agreed. Pathetic behaviour.

You bemoan unjust criticism just because you believe it's unjust, a fair few of us believe the criticism is justified to a certain extent. Obviously there's going to be idiots who take it to far but to tag us all as "not real supporters" or board bashers us just nonsense. I personally think the last 3 weeks has been a bit of a shambles and not that's not due to the west coast media.
    its two weeks and I didn’t tag everyone as “not real supporters” I aimed it at those who take it too far. I have no idea if you are one of them, as I’m not the sort to stalk people’s posts and have no wish to single anyone out.

We obviously disagree, fair enough, I’m just having my say.