hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Doidge

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When Flo was put on, he did far more in his first sixty seconds, chasing down, pressing and harassing Rangers players than Doidge did in the entire 90 minutes.

And the difference is that when he was on the pitch, Scotty Allan wasn't around to feed the ball upstream.

Very true, Flo actually tried when he came on. Doidge done hee haw, in fact I don't think he won a header the whole game.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Very true, Flo actually tried when he came on. Doidge done hee haw, in fact I don't think he won a header the whole game.
    To use a phrase not much used on here, both him and Newell look overwhelmed. I bet they thought they’d stroll it in our league.

Coaching Staff
    He was at fault first goal by not even closing down the free kick he conceded - pedestrian in the extreme and was busy remonstrating. The pace of up here is catching them all out and they have to learn very quickly that you need to close down - all the players, not just the new signings. I've seen better junior players.

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    To use a phrase not much used on here, both him and Newell look overwhelmed. I bet they thought they’d stroll it in our league.

Apart from not being very good they both shat it today in front of the big crowd, plain and simple. Stage fright.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aim Here View Post
    When Flo was put on, he did far more in his first sixty seconds, chasing down, pressing and harassing Rangers players than Doidge did in the entire 90 minutes.

And the difference is that when he was on the pitch, Scotty Allan wasn't around to feed the ball upstream.
    Flo was terrible when he came on too. You have to have a functioning team from back to front for your strikers to flourish or they'll just be outnumbered and that's exactly what both of them were.

I'll be judging Doidge when (if) we begin to dominate games and create opportunities for him. Sadly I don't think we've a good enough squad to do that.

@hibs.net private member
    Not been impressed with Doidge so far but I won't read too much into his performance today at least in terms of hold up. He was outnumbered by the Rangers defenders who all looked fitter and stronger than he did. I've no idea what many on the board see in terms of his effort. He rarely gets above a jog and puts next to no pressure on defenders. Like Newall I don't understand how they are meant to fit into a team that supposedly plays a high press. Neither has any mobility particularly when we don't have the ball. Looks like someone to through on in the last 10 minutes if we need to shell it. We really missed Flo buzzing about harassing defenders today.

Apart from not being very good they both shat it today in front of the big crowd, plain and simple. Stage fright.
    But.. apparently these are the games that players from the English leagues come to Scotland for ?

Today sounds like a horror show especially for the new boys and Hecky, who all appear to be out of their depth. Hecky has no excuse having come up against Sevco and Celtic before, and still approaches these games like a frightened wee lamb to the slaughter.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Horde View Post
    Flo was terrible when he came on too. You have to have a functioning team from back to front for your strikers to flourish or they'll just be outnumbered and that's exactly what both of them were.

I'll be judging Doidge when (if) we begin to dominate games and create opportunities for him. Sadly I don't think we've a good enough squad to do that.
    Like last week when he was presented with 3 great chances and couldn't finish one!🙈

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Doidge may be poor but at least he appears to at least try. Newell looks a complete fraud
    James Collins with a beard !

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    James Collins with a beard !
    This squad reminds me so much of the James Collins and the Pat Fenlon era.
    Last edited by DetroitHibs; 12-08-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Rowan Vine mk2.

I'm going to reserve judgement until after the next 3/4 games. Want to see him and flo together with Allan and Horgan. This 1 up top is useless. Horribly exposed and outnumbered

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    I'm going to reserve judgement until after the next 3/4 games. Want to see him and flo together with Allan and Horgan. This 1 up top is useless. Horribly exposed and outnumbered
    I keep reading this and dont understand it, most play with one up front, and its up to the midfielders and wide men to then support and get beyond him which turns into a 3 up front or 2 at times.

We played yesterday with a 5 in midfield which should help the defence and when on the ball, should help the forward.

Our midfield dont press, dont tackle and Allan apart, dont create, here is the problem as they let the opposition go past them as if they are not there, and offer hee haw going forward.

Mallan playing out of position far too deep, a defence that are getting on and nowhere near at the peak of their games, with no help from those in front of them has only one result against good players.

This lot are as poor as we've seen since the Butcher years.

I doubt he will be any worse than the other English players with many Scottish clubs, sometimes you unearth a good one such as Moult who was with Motherwell, give the man a chance please.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Like last week when he was presented with 3 great chances and couldn't finish one!🙈
    You'll not find me disagreeing. Those were shockers and in exactly the kind of games he should be excelling in.

Judging him on that is far fairer than judging him on his performance in a game that we basically never left our own half in and if that's the norm he'll be back in England before the season's out.
    Last edited by The_Horde; 12-08-2019 at 07:12 AM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Bring back Simon murray
    I was never quite sure why we got rid of Simon Murray. Maybe not absolute first choice striker, but always put himself about and got some important goals. Is he still in South Africa?

Obviously we have to give him a bit more time, as the SPFL is a hard league to get used too, but as soon as he missed that penalty on his debut in a pre season game, I had a feeling things were not gonna go smoothly for this dude, then the misses last week and then nowhere to be seen yesterday, doesn't bode well.

We need another 2 strikers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This squad reminds me so much of the James Collins and the Pat Fenlon era.
    This post just gave me a horrible feeling inside haha, worried that you might be right

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    Obviously we have to give him a bit more time, as the SPFL is a hard league to get used too, but as soon as he missed that penalty on his debut in a pre season game, I had a feeling things were not gonna go smoothly for this dude, then the misses last week and then nowhere to be seen yesterday, doesn't bode well.

We need another 2 strikers for sure.
    What are we going to do with 5 strikers when our manager prefers 1 up top?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What are we going to do with 5 strikers when our manager prefers 1 up top?
    I'm sure he won't do 1 up top all the time, we have seen him play 2 up top before.

Shaw, I don't think is good enough, so would put him out on loan.

Doidge, will probably take a while for him to get up to speed, if he does.

So Kamberi and 2 others would be good I think, particularly if we get injuries.

It was an abomination Flo never started yesterday. Never done anything wrong last week. Hecky trying his best to alienate fan favourites. Taking Allan off at that juncture of the game was naive to say the least. 2 strikers when your getting absolutely pumped left right and centre. Cmon eh, who was supposed to get the ball up top?

Newell and doidge look horrendous from my view and will take a wee while to get them out the door. I just hope they can actually start putting in performances, or at least try

Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    Rowan Vine mk2.
    😳

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I quite like doidge but yesterday was never a game for him to be up front himself, he isnt quick enough for that role, especially up against reasonably quick players, if he is sticking with 1 up front it has to be kamberi out of our current squad, I'd like to see another striker come in though who is used to playing that role but it's not looking likely

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    I quite like doidge but yesterday was never a game for him to be up front himself, he isnt quick enough for that role, especially up against reasonably quick players, if he is sticking with 1 up front it has to be kamberi out of our current squad, I'd like to see another striker come in though who is used to playing that role but it's not looking likely
    If his preference is one up front what is the logic in signing a striker who isn’t suited to the role ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    If his preference is one up front what is the logic in signing a striker who isn’t suited to the role ?
    No idea, doidge may well have played that role down south but for me he isnt quick enough to do it, he needs to play in a 2

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    No idea, doidge may well have played that role down south but for me he isnt quick enough to do it, he needs to play in a 2
    Sorry wasn’t disagreeing with you more questioning the recruitment. I agree with your summary of Doidge.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswissstriker View Post
    It was an abomination Flo never started yesterday. Never done anything wrong last week. Hecky trying his best to alienate fan favourites. Taking Allan off at that juncture of the game was naive to say the least. 2 strikers when your getting absolutely pumped left right and centre. Cmon eh, who was supposed to get the ball up top?

Newell and doidge look horrendous from my view and will take a wee while to get them out the door. I just hope they can actually start putting in performances, or at least try

Scott Allan picked up a knock blocking a cross covering for our right back who was caught hopelessly out of position. Thats why he was taken off. He tried to run it off, then got treatment but had to be subbed. If you were at the game you would have seen that.

he will be alright when mike newell comes on to his game

@hibs.net private member
    What is it you like about him?

Genuine question btw, I’m still on the fence with him

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    What is it you like about him?

Genuine question btw, I’m still on the fence with him
    He takes the ball in well. He seems to link up well when he has flo up top with him, he is not to bad in the air. Gets into good positions, just needs to compose himself when in those positions