hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Winning At Home

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jack Ross is 4th in all time Hibs managers for his home wins (minimum 10 games played).

He’s behind Jock Stein, Alan Stubbs (who was in the Championships for the entirety of his time), and John Halligan.

He’s 4th best for all time record of home defeats, behind Lennon(season in the Championship), Stein, and Stubbs.

Remarkably, he’s doing relatively well.
    Are you sure that’s accurate Matty?

Alex Miller was here for 10 years, qualified for Europe and won a cup so must have had spells doing well at home, Tony Mowbreys Hibs team seem to win at home every week but couldn’t buy an away win and Alex Mcleish hibs team skooshed the first division then had a good season in the premier league.

Apologies if I’ve picked your stat up wrong but doesn’t seem right to me?

Edit:- sorry, guessing that was win % you were talking about?
    Last edited by bingo70; 20-10-2021 at 12:02 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    You really think 14 wins from 33 is excellent?

Chuck in some absolute horror shows as well.

Most can agree away form has been excellent.

I know you’re going to come back and talk about how it compares historically so I’m not really sure why I’m asking. But if folk really thought we were excellent at home I’m sure more would be making more of an effort to attend.
    I think we'd currently be clear at the top just now if our home record was excellent. Had we managed to win on Saturday we'd have been 2 points off top.

I guess another point is that, as a club, we have grown and we now have an owner with cash who will demand better than history suggests.

A comment that is often made is that Jack Ross is under more scrutiny than previous managers, well yes, because of the squad we have, investment that's been made and general resources along with the infrastructure the club now has.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90274 View Post
    I think we'd currently be clear at the top just now if our home record was excellent. Had we managed to win on Saturday we'd have been 2 points off top.

I guess another point is that, as a club, we have grown and we now have an owner with cash who will demand better than history suggests.

A comment that is often made is that Jack Ross is under more scrutiny than previous managers, well yes, because of the squad we have, investment that's been made and general resources along with the infrastructure the club now has.
    There’s threads and posts on here about how the squad is threadbare and why the dof left because of his failings in not getting in the players needed. Is the squad good again today? It wasn’t on Saturday.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    There’s threads and posts on here about how the squad is threadbare and why the dof left because of his failings in not getting in the players needed. Is the squad good again today? It wasn’t on Saturday.
    So if our home form continues to be a 52.5% point return rate from available points this season, who's fault will it be Jack Ross or Graeme Mathie?

The squad was shown up for what it is on Saturday

The team we had on the pitch should still have been capable of a lot, lot more. Actually putting a bit of effort in for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Alex Miller was here for 10 years, qualified for Europe and won a cup so must have had spells doing well at home, Tony Mowbreys Hibs team seem to win at home every week but couldn’t buy an away win and Alex Mcleish hibs team skooshed the first division then had a good season in the premier league.

I believe Mowbray won 22 out of 42 home league matches in charge of us - so a win percentage of 52.4%.

Jack Ross has won 14 out of 33 home league matches so far - so a win percentage of 42.4%.

Not too sure what it looks like with all competitions taken into account so perhaps this is what is being referred to with regards to Ross having the better home record than Mowbray.

The team we had on the pitch should still have been capable of a lot, lot more. Actually putting a bit of effort in for starters.
    Agree 100%.

@hibs.net private member
    So if our home form continues to be a 52.5% point return rate from available points this season, who's fault will it be Jack Ross or Graeme Mathie?
    Are you answering a question with a question? Clearly it’s a team effort isn’t it?

What is a good win rate % for a Hibs manager? And do we disregard the threadbare squad and pretend it’s not?

@hibs.net private member

no denying that. Like they did a couple of weeks ago against the same opposition.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I believe Mowbray won 22 out of 42 home league matches in charge of us - so a win percentage of 52.4%.

Jack Ross has won 14 out of 33 home league matches so far - so a win percentage of 42.4%.

Not too sure what it looks like with all competitions taken into account so perhaps this is what is being referred to with regards to Ross having the better home record than Mowbray.
    You sure SDG - I thought he won every game at home?

Left by mutual consent!
    Are you answering a question with a question? Clearly it’s a team effort isn’t it?

What is a good win rate % for a Hibs manager? And do we disregard the threadbare squad and pretend it’s not?
    There were clearly failings in the transfer window that's left us short, but the window is now closed so it is over to Jack Ross to show how good a coach he is and work with what he has, which we understand is hampered with injuries too.

What is a good home record for us to aspire to that is realistic? Good question. It would be good to know what our best is since the SPL era from 2000 onwards. I think seasons such as 00/01 04/05 05/06 09/10 17/18 and 20/21 could provide good context as a start.

@hibs.net private member
    There were clearly failings in the transfer window that's left us short, but the window is now closed so it is over to Jack Ross to show how good a coach he is and work with what he has, which we understand is hampered with injuries too.

What is a good home record for us to aspire to that is realistic? Good question. It would be good to know what our best is since the SPL era from 2000 onwards. I think seasons such as 00/01 04/05 05/06 09/10 17/18 and 20/21 could provide good context as a start.
    I agree and hopefully he will - but we can’t just ignore the squad is threadbare.

Also those seasons are a good starting point - hopefully someone that way inclined can go and get the stats for us!

Mowbray won 9 away matches in his first season, 9 at home.

Mowbray also had some absolute stinkers at home. Lost to Livi 3-0, Falkirk twice, Inverness (done the double at Easter Road in his 2nd season, beating us all 3 times).

You really think 14 wins from 33 is excellent?

Chuck in some absolute horror shows as well.

Most can agree away form has been excellent.

I know you’re going to come back and talk about how it compares historically so I’m not really sure why I’m asking. But if folk really thought we were excellent at home I’m sure more would be making more of an effort to attend.
    Regardless of how we’ve done historically, I’m not sure 42% of home games won qualifies as excellent, even if it’s better than most of what came before.

Like bingo70 I’m also struggling to believe that it’s the 4th best home record we’ve ever had as well but if it is then that says more about us having a historically poor home record imo. For a third place finish you’re really looking at winning at least 50% of your games. For most teams that would see more of them being at home than away.

For as long as we can keep having a very good away record then the home record isn’t as much an issue if you want to look at it glass half full or it’s holding us back from challenging for 2nd if you want to look at it glass half empty.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 20-10-2021 at 12:51 PM.

no denying that. Like they did a couple of weeks ago against the same opposition.
    Away from home. Which is probably quite important in the context of this thread. Why so different?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

All competitions.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Hatrick View Post
    Regardless of how we’ve done historically, I’m not sure 42% of home games won qualifies as excellent, even if it’s better than most of what came before.

Like bingo70 I’m also struggling to believe that it’s the 4th best home record we’ve ever had as well but if it is then that says more about us having a historically poor home record imo. For a third place finish you’re really looking at winning at least 50% of your games. For most teams that would see more of them being at home than away.

For as long as we can keep having a very good away record then the home record isn’t as much an issue if you want to look at it glass half full or it’s holding us back from challenging for 2nd if you want to look at it glass half empty.
    https://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_records.php

Minted how we just dismiss Jack Ross being 4th best as being down to us historically not being great at home. For our entire existence.

Folk are going to great lengths to talk down what are some pretty good achievements for some reason.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

When Man City got their mega money it took them years to win the league, that’s with a huge investment into their squad.

We’ve had good investment but still modest in the grand scheme of things, I’m all for increasing standards and expectations but you don’t do it overnight.

@hibs.net private member
    Away from home. Which is probably quite important in the context of this thread. Why so different?
    That’s true - I was responding to the “trying” comment. Like they did v Livi, Ross County and St Johnstone this season at home.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Yeah win percentage in all competitions. I posted the link above, I’ve not gone and calculated it all myself.

I don’t know why it’s hard to believe, we had a wee spell where our home form was a bit patchy but on the whole it’s been good.

There’s definitely a bit of bias/perception muddying the waters, i think.

@hibs.net private member
    Yeah win percentage in all competitions. I posted the link above, I’ve not gone and calculated it all myself.

I don’t know why it’s hard to believe, we had a wee spell where our home form was a bit patchy but on the whole it’s been good.

There’s definitely a bit of bias/perception muddying the waters, i think.
    And reminiscing of the Mowbray glory days when we go from 4-1 to 4-4 etc.

Think it’s maybe beating Hearts and Rangers that folk remember a bit more, in fairness.

That happened once. Not really what I think of when I remember that team.

@hibs.net private member
    Think it’s maybe beating Hearts and Rangers that folk remember a bit more, in fairness.
    Don't get me started on them - mind Zibi in the 2-2, Brown and McNeil letting Charlie Adam shots in at their near posts?

I didn't realise we only counted those games though - could explain why the stats don't really back up the argument being made.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That happened once. Not really what I think of when I remember that team.
    Same here - it didn't take me long to remember it though. Perception is reality though.

Don't get me started on them - mind Zibi in the 2-2, Brown and McNeil letting Charlie Adam shots in at their near posts?

I didn't realise we only counted those games though - could explain why the stats don't really back up the argument being made.
    What a bizarre post. Don’t think anybody ‘only counted’ those games. They’re just not the ones I remember.

Despite the stats I still think we have performed poorly at home under JR. 14 wins out of 33 isn’t really that great IMO, especially when a third of those wins have been against lower league teams.

https://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/manager_records.php

Minted how we just dismiss Jack Ross being 4th best as being down to us historically not being great at home. For our entire existence.

Folk are going to great lengths to talk down what are some pretty good achievements for some reason.
    If a 42% win record at home is the 4th best a manager has achieved at Hibs though then that is historically very poor imo even if you don’t think so.

Put simply, I don’t think winning 42% of home games is a pretty good achievement when you’re the third best team in the country.
    Last edited by Perfect Hatrick; 20-10-2021 at 01:29 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    When Man City got their mega money it took them years to win the league, that’s with a huge investment into their squad.

We’ve had good investment but still modest in the grand scheme of things, I’m all for increasing standards and expectations but you don’t do it overnight.
    We finished 3rd last season with a home record of 27 points from 57 points - 47% of available points which included 7 wins at home from 19 - 37%. Which is skewed further without Hearts in the league.

I think some fans are realising that as crazy as it sounds we are actually really under achieving when you take our home record and Big Game records into account. The stat of 2 wins from 20 in games against Rangers Celtic, Hearts and at Hampden is unbelievable.

There have been worse Hibs teams with better records in big games and more than likely better home records.

If we could sort out the home record and win the occasional big game that everyone remembers we could be doing really really well.
    Last edited by 90274; 20-10-2021 at 01:26 PM.

Same here - it didn't take me long to remember it though. Perception is reality though.
    Yes, it happened once and was one of the most amazing games at Easter Road in the last 50 years. Everyone remembers it. It certainly isn't some kind of defining moment in Mowbrays time here.

Left by mutual consent!
    What a bizarre post. Don’t think anybody ‘only counted’ those games. They’re just not the ones I remember.

Despite the stats I still think we have performed poorly at home under JR. 14 wins out of 33 isn’t really that great IMO, especially when a third of those wins have been against lower league teams.
    The 14 from 33 is league games only.