hibs.net Messageboard

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Wimbledon

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really enjoyed the ladies final, which can often be a bit flat if it's won in two sets. Virtually no celebration from Rybakina but she spoke very well afterwards, as did Jabeur.
    Just watched the final, really enjoyed it.

And what are the odds Rybakina will get ko'd early in the US Open. Women's tennis really needs someone to make their mark. Every time someone looks like being the next heir to Serena's throne they disappear just as quick.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post

And what are the odds Rybakina will get ko'd early in the US Open. Women's tennis really needs someone to make their mark. Every time someone looks like being the next heir to Serena's throne they disappear just as quick.
    I think the same thing will happen in the men's game once Djokovic and Nadal have retired.

Women's tennis is certainly a lot more unpredictable in recent years - since 2000 there have been 33 different Grand Slam champions on the women's side, whereas with the men there have been just 20, and just 11 since Roger Federer won his first Wimbledon title in 2003.

Matthew Ebden and Max Purcell beat Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic in 5 sets to win the men's doubles title.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think the same thing will happen in the men's game once Djokovic and Nadal have retired.

Women's tennis is certainly a lot more unpredictable in recent years - since 2000 there have been 33 different Grand Slam champions on the women's side, whereas with the men there have been just 20, and just 11 since Roger Federer won his first Wimbledon title in 2003.
    Yeah I hope the men's doesn't turn out like the women's and I don't think it will. Sinner looks like the next big thing as far as I'm concerned and hopefully Alcaraz will develop into a major winner in the next couple of years.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Elena Rybakina beats Ons Jabeur in three sets to win the ladies' final.
    A slight irony there with all the controversy about banning Russian players

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post

Don’t think Iga Swiatek will disappear.
    She will be favourite to win US Open on the hardcourt and she has won 2 French Opens on clay already
    I would expect her to practise more on the grass next year when ranking points are reintroduced
    She will probably dominate for quite a few years

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    A slight irony there with all the controversy about banning Russian players
    Yes the irony wasn't lost on me at all!

I didn't really agree with Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian (and Belarusian) players from this year's tournament as one of the reasons given to justify the ban was that a Russian winner would have given the Russians a propaganda victory which Wimbledon wanted to avoid and yet we've ended up with just that with a Russian born player winning Wimbledon and Russia claiming it as their own victory.

Another reason to justify it was that Russian and Belarusian players hadn't condemned Russia's actions in Ukraine and therefore they were seen as being complicit and yet Rybakina said she "didn't understand the question" and "my English is not very good" when asked if she condemns the war in Ukraine.

And thanks to the ban and the subsequent decision of the ATP to strip Wimbledon of ranking points as a punishment, Nick Kyrgios should be ranked around 15th in the world regardless of the score tomorrow and therefore be seeded for the US Open but instead will be ranked 40th and therefore may be unseeded. Novak Djokovic will also drop from 3rd to 7th in the world even if he wins tomorrow.

For players further down the rankings who did relatively well at Wimbledon, such as Liam Broady, Heather Watson and Tatjana Maria, the consequences are even more severe. Based on how they all did at Wimbledon they should be straight into the US Open main draw but now they're all likely to need to go through qualifying.

As Liam Broady said I am failing to see how this is punishing Wimbledon - it just seems to be the players who are bearing the brunt of this decision which I think is unfair.

Yes the irony wasn't lost on me at all!

I didn't really agree with Wimbledon's decision to ban Russian (and Belarusian) players from this year's tournament as one of the reasons given to justify the ban was that a Russian winner would have given the Russians a propaganda victory which Wimbledon wanted to avoid and yet we've ended up with just that with a Russian born player winning Wimbledon and Russia claiming it as their own victory.

Another reason to justify it was that Russian and Belarusian players hadn't condemned Russia's actions in Ukraine and therefore they were seen as being complicit and yet Rybakina said she "didn't understand the question" and "my English is not very good" when asked if she condemns the war in Ukraine.

And thanks to the ban and the subsequent decision of the ATP to strip Wimbledon of ranking points as a punishment, Nick Kyrgios should be ranked around 15th in the world regardless of the score tomorrow and therefore be seeded for the US Open but instead will be ranked 40th and therefore may be unseeded. Novak Djokovic will also drop from 3rd to 7th in the world even if he wins tomorrow.

For players further down the rankings who did relatively well at Wimbledon, such as Liam Broady, Heather Watson and Tatjana Maria, the consequences are even more severe. Based on how they all did at Wimbledon they should be straight into the US Open main draw but now they're all likely to need to go through qualifying.

As Liam Broady said I am failing to see how this is punishing Wimbledon - it just seems to be the players who are bearing the brunt of this decision which I think is unfair.
    Yep, Wimbledon (or whoever put pressure on them to apply this ban) have had a howler here and hammered a host of players very unfairly.

6-4 to Kyrgios first set.

Second set to Djokovic 6-3.

Kyrgios should have won that last game.

Third set Djokovic 6-4.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Kyrgios has lost the plot. He has been playing well but now he has lost his concentration

Hard to see anything other than a Novax win now.

He's just remained fully focused at all times.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Utter nonsense Djokovic can disappear for 10 mins at end of third set. Andrew Castle got to be better than him absolute torturous chat

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    My wife has said to me that she would love to go to Wimbledon. Kyrgios hit one into the net and she shout oh ya ****er! I've explained that I don't think we can ever go

I like Kyrgios, he's honest and says what other players won't. Heart on the sleeve and no false diplomacy.

He needs to take some responsibility for himself though. Everything isn't down to his box, the umpire, the ball boys and girls etc. He lost the one for himself as much as Djokovic won it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Kyrgios has lost it mentally. And soon to be literally

Novax didn't even need to bring any real gamesmanship to the table today

Djokovic wins in 4 sets to win his 7th Wimbledon title and 21st Grand Slam title.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I like Kyrgios, he's honest and says what other players won't. Heart on the sleeve and no false diplomacy.

He needs to take some responsibility for himself though. Everything isn't down to his box, the umpire, the ball boys and girls etc. He lost the one for himself as much as Djokovic won it.
    He's a dick.

Delighted he lost and I can't stand djokovic either.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    He's a dick.

Delighted he lost and I can't stand djokovic either.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    I like him - not sure his antics help him, but could be one of the most naturally gifted players we’ve ever seen …

Wow.

Asked if he wants more grand slam finals he says he's too tired? He didn't even have to play the semi final...

There's no way the top players of this generation would have said that even in jest ...

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Yas Novak , well deserved and here's to many more majors

Gaun yersel son !!

Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Wow.

Asked if he wants more grand slam finals he says he's too tired? He didn't even have to play the semi final...

There's no way the top players of this generation would have said that even in jest ...
    Course they would. Was just a wee light-hearted comment which most of the arena appreciated and laughed at.

His post-match interview was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I like him - not sure his antics help him, but could be one of the most naturally gifted players we’ve ever seen …
    Absolutely. Imagine if he had the application and desire that someone like Murray did. He’s a hell of talent.

Tennis isn’t his favourite sport and that’s okay. He definitely has the talent to do great things though.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by LewysGot2 View Post
    Wow.

Come on! It was quite clearly a joke. Give the guy a break.

Great match. Novak won when it came to the business end.
    He's a master of spin and swerve and also masking the direction of his forehand.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    He's a master of spin and swerve and also masking the direction of his forehand.
    I can't stand the guy, but he's phenomenal. His serve also gets nowhere near the amount of praise it deserves.

Brilliant tribute to Sue Barker.

Wimbledon won't be the same without her.

In the end Djokovic just about deserved to win it, but Kyrgios can only really have himself to blame. He looked dominant in the 1st set and part of the secind, but he needs to spend less time having 'discussions' with the umpire and shouting and swearing, because he's a really gifted tennis player, not just another guy with a big serve.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Well deserved win for Novak, a class above on the tennis court.
    Nick was gracious in defeat and I think that he was delighted and surprised to get so far in the tournament