hibs.net Messageboard

Page 188 of 229 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 6843

Thread: Best tv

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its infinitely better watching the Korean version with subtitles. You get the true emotion from the actors.
    Totally agree (and have done the same for any foreign drama). I quite like subtitles as they force you to pay full attention too.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Its infinitely better watching the Korean version with subtitles. You get the true emotion from the actors.
    I don’t doubt it mate, I’m awful with subtitles, for some reason I find it difficult to read them and concentrate on what’s going on in the scene, I just wanted to see it and was kind of hoping that subtitles had moved on from the old style king fu films of the past, there’s a German thing on Netflix I was planning next I think il go with the subs on that one off this experience

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Tremendous episode of Rings of Power this week. Tees us up nicely for the final two episodes - although I'm not sure we'll get to the point of the rings being forged this series.

I'm still unsure if Sauron is one of the characters we've met to date, or yet to be revealed. I'm leaning towards the mystery man with the Harfoots being Sauron.
    I agree it’s too early in the legendarium for the forging of the rings, although with that ending yesterday they’ve set it up for that possibility!! (Spoiler dodging). I think Sauron could be a character we haven’t met yet.

I have a few gripes with it, particularly why they felt the need to continue to simply bolt on real world accents to the races (orcs are all east end cockneys, Southlanders are northern English, Elves and high born Numenorean men all Home Counties, dwarves Scots, harfoots Irish gypsies (please!!) and there’s some very ropey CGI, a podcast I listen to was pointing out that the Jackson films have better CGI and that was almost twenty years ago! With all the money that’s gone into this… grumble grumble

On the plus side, the music is tremendous, most of the acting is excellent and the scenery costumes and sets a feast for the eyes. I’ve even been revisiting my dusty copy of the LOTR appendices on the Second Age to work out who some of the characters are!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Our Friends in the North on BBC 4. Brilliant telly.
    Is that the series with Christopher Eccleston. I watched it when it came out and thought it was brilliant. Must give it another watch

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Is that the series with Christopher Eccleston. I watched it when it came out and thought it was brilliant. Must give it another watch
    Yeah :)

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Anyone else enjoying House of the Dragon?
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Yep, I hadn't been looking forward to it in the slightest but after the first episode I was hooked, the changing in years threw me a bit for the first episode that happened but I think it's been excellent

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Really enjoying expecting fireworks are coming!

@hibs.net private member
    Just binged all 3 seasons of Derry Girls, absolutely fantastic.

@hibs.net private member
    Undercover, Dutch with overdubs but impulsive viewing, about Ferry Bouman a drugs lord and where the cops put a couple of cops undercover. This is a spin off to a one off called Ferry, brilliant stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Just binged all 3 seasons of Derry Girls, absolutely fantastic.
    It baffles me when I hear a good proportion of folk I know couldn’t get into it. I started laughing early on and kept doing so throughout each series. Cracker

Rings of Power season finale was tremendous I thought. Answered a lot of questions, and teed up season 2 nicely. Not looking forward to the long wait for it though!

Rings of Power season finale was tremendous I thought. Answered a lot of questions, and teed up season 2 nicely. Not looking forward to the long wait for it though!
    I was the only one of our group of four watching it that guessed the identity of ‘that character’ early on, so I feel quite smug as if I’ve worked out the killer in a murder mystery

The last couple of episodes have been excellent, the visuals absolutely stunning. Some storylines are stronger than others but the Harfoots story particularly has grown as the season has progressed. A lot depends on how they get on with the Numenor storyline in season two.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I enjoyed Karen Pirie up to the point where they looked for the second crime scene. Unnecessary geographical error!!!

If you know where she looks at on the map it in no way resembles where they end up.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

First Team Breakthrough
    The 3rd season of Norwegian crime drama Wisting started again tonight on BBC 4 , like most Scandi Noir it's very dark, but very watchable

@hibs.net private member
    The Watcher, bloody weird 😵

Quote Originally Posted by davy67 + View Post
    The 3rd season of Norwegian crime drama Wisting started again tonight on BBC 4 , like most Scandi Noir it's very dark, but very watchable
    I thought it was S2.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I would love to watch TV right now. Turned the living room TV off when we went to bed last night. Watched some TV in bed. Turned the bedroom TV off. We were up and out early this morning and have been out all day and are just back. Wanted to watch some TV… all our remotes are nowhere to be seen. Can’t find any of the remotes in the living room (TV, fire stick, dvd) or the bedroom TV remote! All gone.

Just been checking our ring cameras to check we haven’t been broken into as it is so bizarre.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I thought it was S2.
    Yeah , it is there's another season to come after this one

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I was the only one of our group of four watching it that guessed the identity of ‘that character’ early on, so I feel quite smug as if I’ve worked out the killer in a murder mystery

The last couple of episodes have been excellent, the visuals absolutely stunning. Some storylines are stronger than others but the Harfoots story particularly has grown as the season has progressed. A lot depends on how they get on with the Numenor storyline in season two.
    Agree - been tremendous since episode 6. Some great casting - Elrond, Galadriel, Halbrand, Durin all excellent.
    Purists might not be happy that they've played about a bit with the timings of events set out in Tolkien's works, but I thought it all came together really well in the final episode.

Plenty clues as to the identity of the character, especially the big one in the final episode before Galadriel twigs - might rewatch knowing who he is. One that stands out as a huge hint to me was the conversation with Adar when they first meet.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    The Watcher, bloody weird 😵
    I’m enjoying it.

Agree - been tremendous since episode 6. Some great casting - Elrond, Galadriel, Halbrand, Durin all excellent.
    Purists might not be happy that they've played about a bit with the timings of events set out in Tolkien's works, but I thought it all came together really well in the final episode.

Plenty clues as to the identity of the character, especially the big one in the final episode before Galadriel twigs - might rewatch knowing who he is. One that stands out as a huge hint to me was the conversation with Adar when they first meet.
    Yes, they HAD to play a bit fast and loose with the timings in Tolkien’s works because these events take place over hundreds of years and the key human characters would only last an episode so we wouldn’t be able to get invested in them, I’ve no problem with that at all.

The enhanced role the TV show gives mithril as the elves ‘life force’ is a bit much though; there’s no real evidence for that in the books and there’s no real narrative sense for it either…it’s not explained properly, why do they need it by ‘next Spring’? It was supposed to be super valuable and gave economic power to the dwarves but something that the elves needed to keep their race going? Nope. But as a main gripe goes it’s nothing compared to those Jackson Hobbit movies

How they dealt with the Harfoots ‘stranger’ was brilliant. I was hoping that was how that was going to play out.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 16-10-2022 at 08:17 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’m enjoying it.
    Im loving it mate, everytime Ive tried to guess who the watcher is Ive been wrong, loved that neighbour couple at the start, my name is Mo and the Husband shouts, known as big Mo 🤣

@hibs.net private member
    Did anyone watch the Ice Cream wars, horrific stuff which I remember well at the time, ****ing 18 mth old bairn amongst those that perished in that fire

All because some gangster wanted to sell their dodgy **** 🤬

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Did anyone watch the Ice Cream wars, horrific stuff which I remember well at the time, ****ing 18 mth old bairn amongst those that perished in that fire

All because some gangster wanted to sell their dodgy **** 🤬
    I watched that. I was too young to know what was happening at the time but I’d heard about it through the years with the two guys appeals and stuff so I knew of the case. The program was well done, it’s awful that they still don’t know for sure who did it after all these years.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    I watched that. I was too young to know what was happening at the time but I’d heard about it through the years with the two guys appeals and stuff so I knew of the case. The program was well done, it’s awful that they still don’t know for sure who did it after all these years.
    Agreed mate and sadly one or two who may have known a bit more have gone to their graves so we may never know. Astonishingly the scabby evidence provided that convicted Campbell and Steele was as flimsy as you could get, the Police played a massive part too with major **** ups throughout the trials

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Yes, they HAD to play a bit fast and loose with the timings in Tolkien’s works because these events take place over hundreds of years and the key human characters would only last an episode so we wouldn’t be able to get invested in them, I’ve no problem with that at all.

The enhanced role the TV show gives mithril as the elves ‘life force’ is a bit much though; there’s no real evidence for that in the books and there’s no real narrative sense for it either…it’s not explained properly, why do they need it by ‘next Spring’? It was supposed to be super valuable and gave economic power to the dwarves but something that the elves needed to keep their race going? Nope. But as a main gripe goes it’s nothing compared to those Jackson Hobbit movies

How they dealt with the Harfoots ‘stranger’ was brilliant. I was hoping that was how that was going to play out.
    My reading of that is that it was needed to be handled by Sauron, so that he could corrupt the rings that were forged. By using that to then make the rings, when he creates the one ring, he will be able to rule over those three rings.

I'm not quite sure how the one ring rules the others in the books / lore, but that's how I've taken it.

The reason for it being by "next spring" or within 3 months, is I assume, to make Elrond, Galadriel and Celebrimbor more likely to push on with making the rings, despite potentially having some misgivings. If they had an extended period of time and there was no rush, then they may have kept Sauron around longer and eventually rumbled his identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    My reading of that is that it was needed to be handled by Sauron, so that he could corrupt the rings that were forged. By using that to then make the rings, when he creates the one ring, he will be able to rule over those three rings.

I'm not quite sure how the one ring rules the others in the books / lore, but that's how I've taken it.

The reason for it being by "next spring" or within 3 months, is I assume, to make Elrond, Galadriel and Celebrimbor more likely to push on with making the rings, despite potentially having some misgivings. If they had an extended period of time and there was no rush, then they may have kept Sauron around longer and eventually rumbled his identity.
    I get that about mithrils role in the rings, but it’s the Elrond/Durin interchanges about mithril being the ‘elves life force’ that bother me, these are supposed to be the wisest of the good guys out there, is Elrond as easily manipulated as Celebrimbor? It doesn’t sit with the rest of his character development, Elrond is quite suspicious of Celebrimbors obsessive focus on ring creation previously.

Celebrimbor was just banging on about next Spring because Sauron was persuading him that that was what was required? I suppose that’s possible, but I still don’t like it, it just makes Celebrimbor an unlikely naive and easily corrupted character. Maybe a theme for later seasons when the ring making gets properly underway.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 18-10-2022 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I watched the Jeffrey Dahmer programme on Netflix. I really enjoyed it, a sickening story though. I just wish they woudln't mess with timelines too much. If I hadn't watched the documentary beforehand I think I would have got a bit lost.

@hibs.net private member
    Walking dead is back, love a bit of the zombies