hibs.net Messageboard

Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Dave Cormack sounds like a creep and we are living rent free in Creepy Cormacks head. They fear us and we should do all we can to keep it that way.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bring him home.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems to me that Ron Gordon is pretty switched on about what is needed to drive revenue forward. A signing like Leigh would have fans snapping up season tickets and buying shirts. It would also give the club an fair bit of publicity, making sponsors and advertisers easier to get on board.
    There might be a small risk with him on the park, off it the right commercial head could make a bit of money.
    It would be a good signing and it would excite the fans, but it wouldn't sell any more season tickets.

You'll buy one, but you were going to anyway. A few folk who are swithering, might tip towards it, but they probably would do anyway, if we qualify for Europe.

It would still be good if he signed.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Dave Cormack sounds like a creep and we are living rent free in Creepy Cormacks head. They fear us and we should do all we can to keep it that way.
    Love it

If Celtic take up the 1 yr option to try and get a transfer fee it would be madness imo.
    If its genuinely £1m salary then LG I'm sure would be entitled to expect Celtic to offset any potential loss by moving to Hibs, Aberdeen or any other club who would likely offering nothing like that.
    Whatever clubs like us could pay as a transfer fee to Celtic it would never match that compo, if we want him I'd say its what we can directly offer him that will dictate things and if Celtic do offer him the 1 yr then I expect him to be at Celtic for that year, unless we got him on loan in January!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaff View Post
    If Celtic take up the 1 yr option to try and get a transfer fee it would be madness imo.
    If its genuinely £1m salary then LG I'm sure would be entitled to expect Celtic to offset any potential loss by moving to Hibs, Aberdeen or any other club who would likely offering nothing like that.
    Whatever clubs like us could pay as a transfer fee to Celtic it would never match that compo, if we want him I'd say its what we can directly offer him that will dictate things and if Celtic do offer him the 1 yr then I expect him to be at Celtic for that year, unless we got him on loan in January!
    They could activate the year and use him for Porto/Doig/Nisbet bids also now they know the aberdeen budget for next season they might fancy squeezing some cash out them as well

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Spending is one thing. Getting value for that spend is another. Ask hearts.
    Exactly. This just adds more pressure to Glass next season. If they aren't well ahead of us early doors then fans will be asking where all this extra dosh has gone.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Aberdeen chairman said they will be spending more than hibs and will be focusing on goal scorers
    I like Cormack.

I think he does a good job of talking Aberdeen up and see him in a similar vein to Ron Gordon.

It feels like the two of them are really trying to grow their clubs and have a vision for the game in Scotland. That’s no bad thing.

Hearts have been left behind, it’s down to us and Aberdeen.

Next 4 games are huge for us in that sense.
    Show we've got the nerve to finish off Saints and Livi in the league to more or less secure 3rd and beat Stranraer and Motherwell in the Cup.
    Key players staying fit and playing with the tempo we had second half vs QoS and I think we can do it.
    Winning both those league games won't be easy so will possibly need something more in the Don's and Celtic ties.
    Hearts are in the same or possibly better position with available finances so it will be how its used, any team wastes next season and it could be a big step backwards.
    I've been a critic of Jack Ross being a bit too cagey but having the more experienced manager of the 3 could be invaluable

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I like Cormack.

I think he does a good job of talking Aberdeen up and see him in a similar vein to Ron Gordon.

It feels like the two of them are really trying to grow their clubs and have a vision for the game in Scotland. That’s no bad thing.

He named Aberdeen's Training centre after himself that's a bit of a self centred thing to do. Early days for Ron Gordon if we make 3rd things ould get very interesting at Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I like Cormack.

Growing the game in Scotland is pivotal to any hope either us or Aberdeen have of growing our clubs, so often overlooked. For 30 years now the plan has pretty much been 'give everything to the OF to make them as successful as possible, everyone else will benefit from the trickle-down effect'. Talk about a failure, no new European club titles since Aberdeen in the early 80s and a national team that only now has managed to sneak in to a major tournament since 1998.
    Sottish football needs leaders like Cormack (and I hope Gordon)....we are not diddy teams and we should not see ourselves as such.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr What If? View Post
    Growing the game in Scotland is pivotal to any hope either us or Aberdeen have of growing our clubs, so often overlooked. For 30 years now the plan has pretty much been 'give everything to the OF to make them as successful as possible, everyone else will benefit from the trickle-down effect'. Talk about a failure, no new European club titles since Aberdeen in the early 80s and a national team that only now has managed to sneak in to a major tournament since 1998.
    Sottish football needs leaders like Cormack (and I hope Gordon)....we are not diddy teams and we should not see ourselves as such.
    Really good post. Getting Hibs, Aberdeen and dare I say Hearts up to a level to challenge the old firm is probably the best way forward for Scottish football and the old firm clubs themselves.

Impossible to see it happening with the small-minded self interest that rules Scottish football.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    That boy is an absolute Dick

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    A few years ago he was investigated for telling someone to "go back to where they came from" during a twitter spat. It was all brushed under the carpet at the time, i dont believe he would be so lucky if he were to say it today!!
    No recollection of that at all but I’ll take your word for it - nothing the man ever does appears to get readily brushed under carpets mind you.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    No recollection of that at all but I’ll take your word for it - nothing the man ever does appears to get readily brushed under carpets mind you.
    He told someone to "F off back to your own country, ya clown."

I've no idea what the circumstances were.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Me neither.

I remember that, the guy was giving him grief during the time when his mental problems had come out and he had taken time away for a few months, can't remember who the guy was but he was Scottish with a foreign name I think, he quickly deleted it but it was too late, the damage had been done.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I remember that, the guy was giving him grief during the time when his mental problems had come out and he had taken time away for a few months, can't remember who the guy was but he was Scottish with a foreign name I think, he quickly deleted it but it was too late, the damage had been done.
    What’s worse you think? Picking a fight online with someone you don’t know who is suffering mental health issues or telling someone to **** off?
    I know where I’m at.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    What’s worse you think? Picking a fight online with someone you don’t know who is suffering mental health issues or telling someone to **** off?
    I know where I’m at.

I think it was telling him to **** off back to his own country when the guy was Scottish was poor judgement by Leigh. Unfortunately on twitter there are plenty trolls just waiting for guys like Leigh to say something so they can pounce on the tweets and give grief, Leigh bites every time.

With the season now over for Celtic, could this speed up Griffiths departure? He’s as well getting his future sorted now.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    With the season now over for Celtic, could this speed up Griffiths departure? He’s as well getting his future sorted now.
    Do Celtic not have until the end of April, to offer him a contract or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Do Celtic not have until the end of April, to offer him a contract or not?
    Yes they do but with their season effectively over it would be in all interests to move things along, like Scott Brown.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Yes they do but with their season effectively over it would be in all interests to move things along, like Scott Brown.
    Brown was out of contract though, and seemingly Celtic tried to get him to stay?

I’d be surprised if Celtic didn’t trigger another contact for Leigh, and then sell him in the summer to recoup a fee

Brown was out of contract though, and seemingly Celtic tried to get him to stay?

I’d be surprised if Celtic didn’t trigger another contact for Leigh, and then sell him in the summer to recoup a fee
    Griffiths didn’t enjoy being down south previously. If they renew his contract and he doesn’t leave then they’re down £1m. That’s a rather big risk considering the size of the task they have next year. The last thing they’ll be wanting is unhappy players and Griffiths would be just that providing they renew it for the sake of a few Bob, only to fail to sell him.

Celtic didn't have an option to extend Brown's contract like they do Griffiths.
    Accordingly Brown was free from January to make his own plans for next season without consulting Celtic in any way.

Griffiths on the other hand needs to wait until April 30th which is the deadline for Celtic to tell him whether they intend to take up their year option on his contract.
    They don't appear to have a manager lined up for next season yet so can't currently ask whether that person would like the club to keep Leigh on or not and their new CEO starts tomorrow so everything is currently up in the air at Darkheid.

Word on Hibs.net is he is currently on £19k a week. Celtic may offer him a contract on a vastly reduced rate but the smart money is on Leigh getting binned and needing to find a new club after Lawell marks the new boys card.

Billy you've lost it .
    I'd be surprised if Celtic did and if they do it will be on vastly reduced terms.
    What club after due diligence would want to pay for Leigh and even if they did Leigh would refuse to go.
    He has been a massively non productive and expensive pain in the arse for Celtic for the last 3 seasons. They will just want him gone.
    Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs are the only possible destinations for him next season and Aberdeen is not commuting distance from his house, kids etc. and Hearts so Easter Road here he comes.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 18-04-2021 at 06:57 PM.

First Team Breakthrough

That would leave Celtic with a salary liability of around £1m. Any club then coming in for Leigh would have to absorb that salary (or expect Leigh to give up the money) and find a transfer fee. They'd also have to be a club that Leigh was willing to sign for. In that scenario, it would be much more likely that Leigh would stay put and pick up the dosh. Doesn't sound like a sensible business move for Celtic to me.

@hibs.net private member

I think Eddie Turnbull might have said that the trouble with Leigh is all his brains are in his feet!