hibs.net Messageboard

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

The Scottish Messi

Not to tempt fate, but type "Scottish Messi" into Google.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good yin 😂

Think he was affectionately known as ‘baby Messi’ when at United. Let’s hope he can show something close to the form which led to that, at us.

Wasn’t Stevie Fulton also referred to by Billy McNeill as Bobby Baggio?

The best nickname ever was Walter Kidd’s,
    Zico.

I think most folk have heard this tag in relation to Ryan Gauld.

Messi made his full international debut at 18 …. Ryan still hasn't at age 23 and only managed 11 under 21 caps. Going to Sporting so early was a brave move and fair play to him for doing it, but the truth is that this is a promising player whose career has stalled, in fact if we are being truthful it has never got going.

This move to Hibs is a huge shop window for him, because the clubs he has been on loan to previously are so far off the radar I doubt 90% of the folk on here have even heard of them. What is also a mild concern for me is that not a single club in Portugal or Spain came knocking during that time in the sure and certain knowledge that the 60 million Euro buyout clause by now is virtually meaningless and Sporting know it. He should look on this as his big chance to throw off the shackles of his Portuguese adventure and grab the attention of a decent sized club in the UK.

Contrast him with Super John McGinn. Nothing like the same fuss was made over him and yet at barely a year older he has a Scottish cup winners medal, League cup winners and runners up medals, a championship winners medal and 13 full Scotland caps … you can now chuck in being a regular starter at one of the UK's biggest clubs.

Young Mr Gauld has a lot of catching up to do before he can claim to be the next Scottish John McGinn … never mind the Scottish Messi.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 12-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Weve had the Irish Messi
    The Gambian Roberto Carlos
    The Scottish Messi

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Was Eoin Doyle not nicknamed the Ginger Messi when we signed him?

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Was Eoin Doyle not nicknamed the Ginger Messi when we signed him?
    The Green Messi

Left by mutual consent!
    “Doyler” is known as the Ginger Fox

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool The scottish messi

we shall see just how good he is soon

It's Gauldinho. Get it right FFS.

Just as long as he doesn't turn out to be the Scottish Sloppi.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    The Scottish Messi ? Isn’t that Edinburgh during the festival?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    The Kirkcaldy Cafu
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I think most folk have heard this tag in relation to Ryan Gauld.

Messi made his full international debut at 18 …. Ryan still hasn't at age 23 and only managed 11 under 21 caps. Going to Sporting so early was a brave move and fair play to him for doing it, but the truth is that this is a promising player whose career has stalled, in fact if we are being truthful it has never got going.

This move to Hibs is a huge shop window for him, because the clubs he has been on loan to previously are so far off the radar I doubt 90% of the folk on here have even heard of them. What is also a mild concern for me is that not a single club in Portugal or Spain came knocking during that time in the sure and certain knowledge that the 60 million Euro buyout clause by now is virtually meaningless and Sporting know it. He should look on this as his big chance to throw off the shackles of his Portuguese adventure and grab the attention of a decent sized club in the UK.

Contrast him with Super John McGinn. Nothing like the same fuss was made over him and yet at barely a year older he has a Scottish cup winners medal, League cup winners and runners up medals, a championship winners medal and 13 full Scotland caps … you can now chuck in being a regular starter at one of the UK's biggest clubs.

Young Mr Gauld has a lot of catching up to do before he can claim to be the next Scottish John McGinn … never mind the Scottish Messi.
    I think you’re reading too much into what was just a playful nickname based on his ability, appearance/physique and style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I think you’re reading too much into what was just a playful nickname based on his ability, appearance/physique and style of play.
    No, I got the reasons for the idea behind the phrase. But it does inspire you to have a look at just what a guy with so much promise has actually amounted to in a period of just about 5 years and the truthful answer is, not very much.

As a player he has been virtually forgotten in Scotland, which would be fine if he had managed to make an impression in Portugal but he clearly hasn't, so much so that he hasn't gotten near the Scotland team and by the looks of an 11 cap haul at under 21 level wasn't impressing the under 21 manager much either .... you would think a guy whose talents were being lauded so much would at least have been an under 21 regular, even without first team football. at his parent club.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased Hibs have signed him, but I think I'll reserve wetting myself over it until I have seen him display the talent I have heard so much about on the pitch in a green & white shirt.

No, I got the reasons for the idea behind the phrase. But it does inspire you to have a look at just what a guy with so much promise has actually amounted to in a period of just about 5 years and the truthful answer is, not very much.

As a player he has been virtually forgotten in Scotland, which would be fine if he had managed to make an impression in Portugal but he clearly hasn't, so much so that he hasn't gotten near the Scotland team and by the looks of an 11 cap haul at under 21 level wasn't impressing the under 21 manager much either .... you would think a guy whose talents were being lauded so much would at least have been an under 21 regular, even without first team football. at his parent club.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased Hibs have signed him, but I think I'll reserve wetting myself over it until I have seen him display the talent I have heard so much about on the pitch in a green & white shirt.
    Thankfully others have an alternative outlook. Not sure anyone is wetting themselves. Just optimistic it'll be a good signing.

NN is just being realistic.

I'm looking forward to seeing Gauld play and hoping he will do well for us, but that is based on optimism and not on recent evidence that he has fulfilled even some of his potential.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    NN is just being realistic.

I'm looking forward to seeing Gauld play and hoping he will do well for us, but that is based on optimism and not on recent evidence that he has fulfilled even some of his potential.

Gauld is an interesting signing. But to me he’s a gamble. A gamble that’s worth taking mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Thankfully others have an alternative outlook. Not sure anyone is wetting themselves. Just optimistic it'll be a good signing.
    Its not so much an 'outlook' as a matter of fact. What Ryan Gauld is at the moment is a player of promise who has failed to get into the first team at his parent club in four and a half years of trying.

I compared him to John McGinn as an example of what can be achieved, perhaps a more direct example of what we are getting would be Liam Henderson, another player who like Gauld was at a big club where failure to establish yourself in the first team doesn't mean you aren't a good player … but the proof of whether or not that is the case can only be tested by showing what you can do on loan …. he has been at 3 different Portuguese clubs where he has made a total of 34 appearances in around 3 seasons which indicates to me he hasn't established himself as a regular pick at these clubs.

I'm as hopeful as anybody that he will turn out to be a good signing … all I'm saying is I'll wait to see if he can be as influential as the reports of his talents suggest he could be.

I feel the same way I did when we signed Scott Allan, and that was based on seeing less of his talent. Still not “wetting myself” but confident we’ve acquired the services of a very gifted player. Have a feeling Lennon is too.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Wasn’t Stevie Fulton also referred to by Billy McNeill as Bobby Baggio?
    That was because he had Italian good looks.

Quote Originally Posted by dchibs View Post
    That was because he had Italian good looks.
    And no stranger to the odd pie😂😂

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Weve had the Irish Messi
    The Gambian Roberto Carlos
    The Scottish Messi
    Talking of the Gambian Roberto Carlos, has anyone seen his Wiki page recently?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pa_Saikou_Kujabi

The 'Senior Career' bit is interesting (and I assume yet to be moderated)...

Its not so much an 'outlook' as a matter of fact. What Ryan Gauld is at the moment is a player of promise who has failed to get into the first team at his parent club in four and a half years of trying.

I compared him to John McGinn as an example of what can be achieved, perhaps a more direct example of what we are getting would be Liam Henderson, another player who like Gauld was at a big club where failure to establish yourself in the first team doesn't mean you aren't a good player … but the proof of whether or not that is the case can only be tested by showing what you can do on loan …. he has been at 3 different Portuguese clubs where he has made a total of 34 appearances in around 3 seasons which indicates to me he hasn't established himself as a regular pick at these clubs.

I'm as hopeful as anybody that he will turn out to be a good signing … all I'm saying is I'll wait to see if he can be as influential as the reports of his talents suggest he could be.
    I think you’re spot on NN. I am delighted we’ve signed him as it harks back the Stubbs signings off allowing young scottish lads the platform to showcase themselves and get their career going again. But like any lf them before Gauld there’s a risk that they just aren’t the player you expect them to have turned into. Sometimes not playing football at a specific age can really hamper your development.

I think Gauld will be decent at least. I have nearly no fear he’ll be any worse than Hyndman but also a lot more hope that he’ll be better. Time will tell though if those feelings are true. Elgins a great opportunity for him to blow the cobwebs off and get some confidence in him.