hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lennon

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did we not lose five goals to some team of Butchers Bakers and Candlestick Makers from Iceland or the Faroes in the Europa League and some dafties on here wanted to sign half their players followed by a two month run between the two Hamilton games between October and December where we did not win a game?
    Fishermen to be precise Billy 👍

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Disliked Lennon as a player, disliked him more when he was a Celtic player then manager. Tolerated him when he came to us. Back to disliking him now hes Celtic manager again.
    A perfectly reasonable stance I'd say.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This isn't trying to after you personally, but the 'very good start in the first quarter of the league' thing is a complete myth that needs to be nipped in the bud once and for all.

After the first four games, against Motherwell, St Johnstone, a slow-starting Aberdeen and Livingston, we picked up a pathetic five points.

Our fixtures were then extremely generous after Maclaren dived to win a penalty against Kilmarnock, which we edged out 3-2.

We then had Dundee away, St Mirren away and Accies at home. All three of these teams have been abysmal, and anything less than nine points would've been a disgrace.

After that Accies game, we had played eight games - not a quarter of the league, but we'll disregard that. We had 17 points, so just over two points a game. Which is usually a barometer of good league form.

But when you consider how outrageously fortunate we'd been with the fixture list (not playing any of Celtic, Hearts or Rangers until late October), we had an amazing chance to launch a serious bid for the title that could've at least lasted until January before Celtic bucked their ideas up.

They had an awful start to the season by their standards, winning three, losing two and drawing one of their opening six league games, as well as troubles in Europe.

Hibs, quite honestly, should've been looking to get at least 20 points from the opening 24 that were on offer, and 24 wouldn't have been unrealistic either. Losing at a Livingston who only just had a new manager in the door after the Kenny Miller turmoil, drawing at home to a gutless Aberdeen side and Lennon again proving himself incapable of winning a game in Perth cost us that.
    We also exited the league cup in that time too, when we should have blown Aberdeen out of the water the way we were playing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    We also exited the league cup in that time too, when we should have blown Aberdeen out of the water the way we were playing.
    Sheep were exceptionally fortunate that night. They effectively adopted yam-style every man behind the ball and kick anyone in a green shirt tactics while hoping to hit on the break. Yes, we should have won bearing in mind the chances we passed up but that was down to a lack of composure from our front men (Kamberi and Boyle missed great chances IIRC) and it would be very harsh to blame Lennon for the eventual loss on penalties.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Sheep were exceptionally fortunate that night. They effectively adopted yam-style every man behind the ball and kick anyone in a green shirt tactics while hoping to hit on the break. Yes, we should have won bearing in mind the chances we passed up but that was down to a lack of composure from our front men (Kamberi and Boyle missed great chances IIRC) and it would be very harsh to blame Lennon for the eventual loss on penalties.
    The team were excellent that night, Lennon deserved credit for that performance rather than criticism.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Sheep started playing for penalties after twenty minutes falling over as soon as they were touched Shinnie kicking everything that moved how he never got booked is beyond me

Time after time our forwards took the wrong option 23 shots on goal the game was crying out for a Jamie MacLaren at the back post tap in.

I wonder what really happened with him and Lennon maybe he was gash?

Penalty shoot out was a joke with their Goalie standing yards off his line at each kick

McInnes summed it up when he said their shoot out success was not luck it was a science

They were, all I mean is that it was part of a poorer run than people think.

What I will say is my understanding in the aftermath was that Aberdeen practised their penalties. We didn't and lost.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I thought he bottled it at Tiny by trying to put out a team that (ironically) wouldn't bottle it.

Heckingbottom won there by doing what we are good at, Lennon tried to go there and do what Hearts are good at.
    Well it certainly didn’t work that’s for sure. I’d say too cautious rather than bottled. perhaps semantics ....

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Chris Hughton has just become avaliable. Be a decent shout for the Celtic job.
    6/1 now. Lump on.

Quote Originally Posted by JOD View Post
    When we went to the pub park and Darkheid under Lennon we faced them up fought for every ball /tackle and although we didn't always wi I never once came away not proud of my team.
    Unlike what's happened with the new management where we seem to respect the ugly sisters that much we cm are beat before a ball is kic
    The Parkhead performance in October was absolutely rubbish and I cannot fathom to this day what game the pundits were watching.

Lennon, for some unknown reason, decided to drop Porteous (who'd been flying until then as part of a defence which had kept four clean sheets in a row), and brought in McGregor. Milligan also dropped back and we played a defensive three of Ambrose, Milligan and McGregor.

We were 2-0 down inside 20 minutes and the game was gone. McGregor was particularly rusty, but none of the defence looked good.

We changed shape and looked better in the second half with Boyle and Kamberi both helping us to get forward and counter attack quickly, which - surprise, surprise - worked well against a very average Celtic side.

However, every time we scored to halve the deficit, Celtic would simply move up another gear and double it again. Much like in the League Cup semi final the season before, where Lennon again set us up incorrectly.

When I got home, I was stunned to see pundits actually applauding our performance. We were crap and it was really odd to see people pretending otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    The Parkhead performance in October was absolutely rubbish and I cannot fathom to this day what game the pundits were watching.

Lennon, for some unknown reason, decided to drop Porteous (who'd been flying until then as part of a defence which had kept four clean sheets in a row), and brought in McGregor. Milligan also dropped back and we played a defensive three of Ambrose, Milligan and McGregor.

We were 2-0 down inside 20 minutes and the game was gone. McGregor was particularly rusty, but none of the defence looked good.

We changed shape and looked better in the second half with Boyle and Kamberi both helping us to get forward and counter attack quickly, which - surprise, surprise - worked well against a very average Celtic side.

However, every time we scored to halve the deficit, Celtic would simply move up another gear and double it again. Much like in the League Cup semi final the season before, where Lennon again set us up incorrectly.

When I got home, I was stunned to see pundits actually applauding our performance. We were crap and it was really odd to see people pretending otherwise.
    Just like the Scottish Cup semi final versus Aberdeen when he set us up incorrectly
    He tells SJM to take the ball for a run from kick off ambushed 0-1
    Plays Jase as a lone striker ball doesn’t stick to him just keeps coming back cue Grant Holt

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Just like the Scottish Cup semi final versus Aberdeen when he set us up incorrectly
    He tells SJM to take the ball for a run from kick off ambushed 0-1
    Plays Jase as a lone striker ball doesn’t stick to him just keeps coming back cue Grant Holt
    To be fair big Daz then passed the ball to Rooney.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    To be fair big Daz then passed the ball to Rooney.
    I thought Big Daz took the winning goal well 😂

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    The fickleness of the football fan.

Quote Originally Posted by JOD View Post
    When we went to the pub park and Darkheid under Lennon we faced them up fought for every ball /tackle and although we didn't always wi I never once came away not proud of my team.
    Unlike what's happened with the new management where we seem to respect the ugly sisters that much we cm are beat before a ball is kic
    What about when we went to the pbs? Lennon shat it before a ball was kicked. Also, we haven't played away to Celtic under PH.

You don't half waffle pash.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    The fickleness of the football fan.

I don't think we should be too harsh on Neil Lennon. he did a very good job for us; it's just sad the way it ended. I think Celtic will need someone a level up, if they are to make ten-in-a-row.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

They were, all I mean is that it was part of a poorer run than people think.

What I will say is my understanding in the aftermath was that Aberdeen practised their penalties. We didn't and lost.
    We did pratice pens prior to match.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    I thought I heard Lennon say we didn't in response to being asked? Tried to find the interview but couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    I'd be amazed if there is a professional football club anywhere who didn't practice penalties from time to time, if not specifically before every cup tie when penalties might be on the cards.

I thought I heard Lennon say we didn't in response to being asked? Tried to find the interview but couldn't.
    There you go!

Does not mention practising penalties

https://youtu.be/CwOZCG-ZgQM

There you go!

Does not mention practising penalties

https://youtu.be/CwOZCG-ZgQM
    The biggest surprise in that video is him praising kamberi

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    The biggest surprise in that video is him praising kamberi
    Bigger surprise is if you scroll down to the comments the amount of hibbies praising Lennon and telling him what a wonderful Manager he was

Changed days
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-05-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Lennon got frustrated then bored with Scottish football in his second season at Hibs. The move to Celtic hasn't invigorated him. He's not the sort of guy they want to steer them to their meaningless financial victory of 10 in a row. Might go to sleep at the wheel, either against a motivated Hun team in the league next year, or worse, against the Yams in this years cup final.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Lennon got frustrated then bored with Scottish football in his second season at Hibs. The move to Celtic hasn't invigorated him. He's not the sort of guy they want to steer them to their meaningless financial victory of 10 in a row. Might go to sleep at the wheel, either against a motivated Hun team in the league next year, or worse, against the Yams in this years cup final.
    I'm not a betting man in any way, but if Celtic appoint Lennon then I'm going to put money on Sevco to win the league....

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I'm not a betting man in any way, but if Celtic appoint Lennon then I'm going to put money on Sevco to win the league....
    I think Celtic will flex their financial muscle this summer. They have to.

Coaching Staff
    Bigger surprise is if you scroll down to the comments the amount of hibbies praising Lennon and telling him what a wonderful Manager he was

Changed days
    Fickle fans Billy, fickle fans!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Fickle fans Billy, fickle fans!!
    See #104

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    In 50 years time there will still be Lennon haters throwing their emotional issues with him into the virtual void on Facebook 5.0, Twitter 2070 and interplanetary Hibs.net.

I wonder if they'll pass it on genetically to their children?

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Don’t think you should get too carried away with Rangers.Their players couldn’t do it under pressure in the games they had to win if they wanted to win a trophy.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

Luckily he’s up against Levein, a guy who reacts to silverware the way a vampire reacts to garlic.