hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The feeling that you can't really be bothered with another 'bad day at the office'

I've mentioned it before on another thread, but I have a pal who I used to go to countless games with who has not been back to watch Hibs since we won the Scottish Cup in 2016. Granted, he got a job in the south of England just a short while later which meant games were inevitably going to become a lot rarer, but as the months and now years have gone by he says the distance from ER helped him realise that he would never experience a greater high as a Hibs fan.

At first I didn't think he could really keep away, but having finally been down to catch up with him recently after many Covid-related delays, I can honestly say he's made a clean break (after what he described as a couple of years of 'cold turkey'). I don't know if I could ever make the break in that way, but I'm not going to lie. Part of me envies him.

I've been a strong defender of Jack Ross despite some of the grim moments which have peppered his tenure. However, yesterday's result (and more particularly the utter ineptitude of the performance) has, for the first time, planted a doubt in my mind about where we're going with him at the helm. Sure, our recent record in cups, the third place finish etc are all praiseworthy, but for all the talk of progress this season, yesterday was every bit as bad as the home derby defeat pre-Covid and the no-show at last season's cup final. And while there was anger in the stands, there was also a sense (in my view) that we weren't really THAT surprised. There's something a little lacking in this squad, a sense of character that really bonds a team and its fans. Ross described the players as lazy and selfish and I'm still trying to figure out why they would be either of those things when you'd assume they'd be fired up with sense of injustice from Ibrox and determined to get back to winning ways.

I was prepared to accept that previous horrible performances were simply the 'bad day at the office' that you will always get now and again, but I'm concerned that we don't have enough about us as a team/squad to learn from these and do our damnedest to make sure they don't happen again. Days like yesterday really sap me of goodwill and have me wondering whether my old pal has the right idea!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've mentioned it before on another thread, but I have a pal who I used to go to countless games with who has not been back to watch Hibs since we won the Scottish Cup in 2016. Granted, he got a job in the south of England just a short while later which meant games were inevitably going to become a lot rarer, but as the months and now years have gone by he says the distance from ER helped him realise that he would never experience a greater high as a Hibs fan.

At first I didn't think he could really keep away, but having finally been down to catch up with him recently after many Covid-related delays, I can honestly say he's made a clean break (after what he described as a couple of years of 'cold turkey'). I don't know if I could ever make the break in that way, but I'm not going to lie. Part of me envies him.

I've been a strong defender of Jack Ross despite some of the grim moments which have peppered his tenure. However, yesterday's result (and more particularly the utter ineptitude of the performance) has, for the first time, planted a doubt in my mind about where we're going with him at the helm. Sure, our recent record in cups, the third place finish etc are all praiseworthy, but for all the talk of progress this season, yesterday was every bit as bad as the home derby defeat pre-Covid and the no-show at last season's cup final. And while there was anger in the stands, there was also a sense (in my view) that we weren't really THAT surprised. There's something a little lacking in this squad, a sense of character that really bonds a team and its fans. Ross described the players as lazy and selfish and I'm still trying to figure out why they would be either of those things when you'd assume they'd be fired up with sense of injustice from Ibrox and determined to get back to winning ways.

I was prepared to accept that previous horrible performances were simply the 'bad day at the office' that you will always get now and again, but I'm concerned that we don't have enough about us as a team/squad to learn from these and do our damnedest to make sure they don't happen again. Days like yesterday really sap me of goodwill and have me wondering whether my old pal has the right idea!
    You won't know unless you give it a go.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

👋🏻 👋🏻

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    There’s some amount of hand wringing after a defeat on here, ffs.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

To be honest, I think it was more the manner of the defeat that angers most supporters.
    Just my opinion Matty.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    We are going to be inconsistent and days when it just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    There’s some amount of hand wringing after a defeat on here, ffs.
    We've got this thread which is like a tentative Ross out thread. Almost like Ross out? Anyone agree with me? Similarly there's the First Reaction thread which is tentatively a Brink Back Lennon thread.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Maybe there could be another sub forum for stuff like this.

There could be threads discussing the merit of not going back alongside one for each player, dedicated to massacring them after bad results and where the size of their baws and their attention to their hairdos could be discussed.

We've lost 8 matches against the ''lesser'' sides in the top league, in all competitions, since the start of last season . 4 of those to St Johnstone. We've nearly 30 wins.

So eh, we're doing a pretty good job of making sure these things don't happen. The fact you can remember them so well (4x vs Saints, Motherwell, Ross County, Livi and Dundee United at home) is because of how rare they are now. We haven't lost a single away match to one of these sides apart from St Johnstone in nearly 2 years. Literally, only Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers and St Johnstone have beaten Hibs at home since December 2019. Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Hearts, Livi, Dundee United, Dundee, Ross County, St Mirren have all failed to beat Hibs at their own grounds in nearly 2 years.

Ross is doing a better job than anyone else has at Hibs in a long time.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 18-10-2021 at 08:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Your mate's a twat.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I was at the 2016 cup final, it was my 5th Scottish cup final .... I cant imagine for a second that my reaction to that day would ever be 'ah well that's it, time to bin the Hibees' ... I still can't imagine it.

Saturday was ******* ..... there will be more ******* .... but one day there will be another 2016 and that's why you go through games like Saturday, so you can be there for days like the 2016 cup final or the 2007 League cup final and be able to say you have paid your dues and if anybody is entitled to wallow in the warm glow of success its you.

That's what supporting Hibs is, 30% terrible, 50% ordinary, 10% great to watch and 10% brilliant times ..... if you cant buy into that then you are supporting the wrong club.

@hibs.net private member
    I'd hate to think there might come a day when I would turn my back on the Hibs. I'm in my mid 70s and have been a regular at ER since my primary school days. I didn't make it to the Dundee Utd game on Sat through ill health, and I doubt very much about being fit for the celtic game.
    It's not that I'm choosing not to attend but I still feel bad about not being there. I've had a season ticket for 50 years, and my son who lives in London bought a season this year, but won't manage up to many games. My daughter is a Hibee and attends home games occasionally, but with 3 young kids it's an expensive day out for them all.
    I hate the thought of Hibs playing at home and there isn't a member of my immediate family at the game (as happened on Saturday). Hope this doesn't sound daft to some of you.

Hibs could get pumped 5-0 week in week out and I would still go to every home game I could make it to. The result isn’t the most important thing about supporting Hibs to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    I'd hate to think there might come a day when I would turn my back on the Hibs. I'm in my mid 70s and have been a regular at ER since my primary school days. I didn't make it to the Dundee Utd game on Sat through ill health, and I doubt very much about being fit for the celtic game.
    It's not that I'm choosing not to attend but I still feel bad about not being there. I've had a season ticket for 50 years, and my son who lives in London bought a season this year, but won't manage up to many games. My daughter is a Hibee and attends home games occasionally, but with 3 young kids it's an expensive day out for them all.
    I hate the thought of Hibs playing at home and there isn't a member of my immediate family at the game (as happened on Saturday). Hope this doesn't sound daft to some of you.
    THAT ..... is what supporting this club is all about ..... respect

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Jack Ross sounded pretty furious about it all after the match. I think we will see a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Your mate's a twat.

+1

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

Nah not for me.

I love every visit to see Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We've lost 8 matches against the ''lesser'' sides in the top league, in all competitions, since Ross arrived. 4 of those to St Johnstone. We've nearly 30 wins.

So eh, we're doing a pretty good job of making sure these things don't happen. The fact you can remember them so well (4x vs Saints, Motherwell, Ross County, Livi and Dundee United at home) is because of how rare they are now. We haven't lost a single away match to one of these sides apart from St Johnstone in nearly 2 years. Literally, only Aberdeen, Celtic, Rangers and St Johnstone have beaten Hibs at home since December 2019. Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Hearts, Livi, Dundee United, Dundee, Ross County, St Mirren have all failed to beat Hibs at their own grounds in nearly 2 years.

While it would be nice to erase it from our minds, Hearts beat us at home just prior to lockdown in probably our worst performance under Ross.

It’s the rough along the way that makes the smooth worth it when you get it.

Saturday was pish, but with football you normally get an opportunity to make amends shortly after.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Days like Saturday happen to all teams in the league every season. The usually solid St Johnstone had an absolute disaster against Livi for example. We need to react against Aberdeen.

Got to say I am a bit concerned with the squad we’ve got at our disposal just now. The signings we made in the summer aren’t adding anything (JDH aside) and haven’t improved on where we were. Injuries have actually left us worse off.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 18-10-2021 at 07:02 AM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I have felt like that since the Scottish Cup Final tbh

I digress

I don't understand the concept to tell you the truth - "I'll never feel that high again". What has that got to do with supporting the team you love? Maybe it speaks of a flighty, entitled attitude from someone just using it as an excuse.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    This. In a nutshell. Almost every team has it.

Not only were we off the page on Saturday but Dundee United were excellent. A perfect storm.

It’s like a competition of who can be the most miserable about it.

It’s a very bad result, it stings, I’m back on the wagon and looking forward to us making amends.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Undoubtedly we will have days like these. Most teams do. However we do have a worrying soft underbelly when the chips are down. We need to start turning poor performances in to the odd draw.

Appreciate we will have defeats but in adversity, we do seem to collapse. It’s the same when we go down to 10 men, we inevitably lose the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We've lost 8 matches against the ''lesser'' sides in the top league, in all competitions, since Ross arrived. 4 of those to St Johnstone. We've nearly 30 wins.

I think our current league position is first time in ages that we have been out the top four
    So there is a bit more pressure on us v Aberdeen to make sure we don’t go three games without a win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like your mate, I moved south shortly after the 2016 final.

Unlike your mate, I still live and breathe hibs. I don't get to many games at all now but I am hibs through and through and it's a huge part of who I am.

Maybe your mate was never really into hibs anyway.

Or possibly you've milked his story to take another unnecessary dig at our manager?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

While it would be nice to erase it from our minds, Hearts beat us at home just prior to lockdown in probably our worst performance under Ross.
    They also beat us 4-1 in the first match after 7-0. Did that get held against turnbull for years or did we move on back then?

Seriously, that match was nearly 2 years ago, get over it.

Surely it’s the rollercoaster that keeps us coming back for more? I can’t imagine anything more boring and mind numbing than being, say, a Rangers or Celtic fan that watches their team just on cruise control every week.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Your mate sounds fictitious

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Your mate's a twat.
    Well thought through, considered and balanced response.