hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Platini Arrested

Michael Platini arrested on suspicion of corruption for awarding 2022 world cup to Qatar. Anyone surprised?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Wow!

Have they got Blatter yet?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Wonder if there’s any chance they’ll take the World Cup off Qatar now?

Can’t see it myself.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    it's not too late to split the 2022 competition between 2 or 3 countries, say france/spain/englund, bung the Qataris £50 compo, countries with human rights issues should NEVER get awarded prestigious competitions, ridiculous

worth noting platini is only in for questioning

Q. Michel did you accept brown envelopes
    A Naw

kwestioning finished

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Here we go...

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it's not too late to split the 2022 competition between 2 or 3 countries, say france/spain/englund, bung the Qataris £50 compo, countries with human rights issues should NEVER get awarded prestigious competitions, ridiculous
    £50 Compo🤣

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    £50 Compo🤣

too much, ok make it a score £20

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Can’t see it myself.
    They've built loads of stadiums already, haven't they? Several slaves have died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    They've built loads of stadiums already, haven't they? Several slaves have died in the process.
    Several thousand slaves. It’s disgusting that the World Cup is going there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Only three have actually been finished, the remaining five are still being built.

Left by mutual consent!
    This will all end up as the master plan to take the cash and then bump them out the World Cup before next years champions league dates are announced for 2022. Which is coincidentally announced in September btw.

World cup going to a tiny backwards oil rich country and played in the winter. Whole thing stunk from the start.
    Last edited by Since452; 18-06-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Can’t see it myself.
    I cant either. But this insanity should have been nipped in the bud the second it was put on the table at FIFA headquarters. Even the morons who ran FIFA at the time, lets face it who still run it, must have known awarding a world cup to a nation with medieval attitudes to sexuality and even at that time a terrible reputation for its treatment of foreign labour, not to mention who at the time didn't even have a professional football league was so obviously going to be open to question that every police force and investigative journalist worth the name would be all over it. Talk about being blinded by greed.

The only two countries with the wherewithal to host the tournament at short notice are probably England and the USA who have the stadiums and infrastructure more or less already in place. Because the last tournament was effectively played in Europe the USA would be favourites … The only problem with that is half of the worlds FIFA delegates would probably be afraid to go there in case they got arrested

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I cant either. But this insanity should have been nipped in the bud the second it was put on the table at FIFA headquarters. Even the morons who ran FIFA at the time, lets face it who still run it, must have known awarding a world cup to a nation with medieval attitudes to sexuality and even at that time a terrible reputation for its treatment of foreign labour, not to mention who at the time didn't even have a professional football league was so obviously going to be open to question that every police force and investigative journalist worth the name would be all over it. Talk about being blinded by greed.

The only two countries with the wherewithal to host the tournament at short notice are probably England and the USA who have the stadiums and infrastructure more or less already in place. Because the last tournament was effectively played in Europe the USA would be favourites … The only problem with that is half of the worlds FIFA delegates would probably be afraid to go there in case they got arrested
    Have USA not been awarded it with Mexico and Canada for 2026?

I am sure plenty other countries have the infrastructure in place, France, Germany, Russia, South Africa and Australia could all host it at short notice as well I’m sure.

US already have the WC in 2030 so it won't go there now. Australia or England would be my bet.

Anyone surprised ?

It was a crazy decision and is all about the £££.

I wish someone would investigate the SFA. It needs disbanded for the sake of Scottish football and trust to be found again.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    US already have the WC in 2030 so it won't go there now. Australia or England would be my bet.
    Didn't realise that re the USA … or if I did I had forgotten

The logical choice would be Australia as they are the only country who haven't held it. I don't know, but was their bid centred around existing stadiums or were they in the position of having to build stadiums if their bid was successful? … if it was the latter 3 years is far too short a time frame to start on stadiums now. On that basis England would be a pretty good bet.

If it was to be the USA can I suggest they keep Diana Ross as far away from it as possible

Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Anyone surprised ?

I wish someone would investigate the SFA. It needs disbanded for the sake of Scottish football and trust to be found again.
    The daftest thing about our game is that it is run by two governing bodies at all … we only need one.

Outside of the actual game their biggest failing has been an absolute inability to get something done about Hampden. They missed an absolute trick with the Commonwealth games and even with Hampden being chosen as a venue for the next Euro championships they have still failed to see it as an opportunity to squeeze some cash for an upgrade out of the UK or Scottish governments.

@hibs.net private member

Can’t see it myself.
    They should take it away because if there is corruption involved then it must surely have gone both ways.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    Anyone surprised ?

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that score ! However I'l go one further - I honestly believe that the GFA will get caught someday - and soon. Luck can only stretch so far, plus, face facts, we're not talking 'Mastermind Criminals' here, just ordinary gadgies lucky enough to be in their gold-edged positions but who've got greedier and greedier and at the same time, more and more bolder. The Huns cheating being the most glaring example - the footballing world's biggest financial & sporting fraud and these clowns didn't even want them removed form the SPL !!??

As for Platini/Qatar - someone's been bunged, that's a certainity so hopefully this is the start of a world-wide purge of all currently in positions of power at both FIFA & UEFA. The game so badly needs fresh, honest leadership and for me it can't happen quick enough. The damage done by decades of corruption under Blatter desparately needs repairing ! Talking of that slimy weasel - anyone know how & when his case is going to be in court ??

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    I'm 100% in agreement with you on that score ! However I'l go one further - I honestly believe that the GFA will get caught someday - and soon. Luck can only stretch so far, plus, face facts, we're not talking 'Mastermind Criminals' here, just ordinary gadgies lucky enough to be in their gold-edged positions but who've got greedier and greedier and at the same time, more and more bolder. The Huns cheating being the most glaring example - the footballing world's biggest financial & sporting fraud and these clowns didn't even want them removed form the SPL !!??

As for Platini/Qatar - someone's been bunged, that's a certainity so hopefully this is the start of a world-wide purge of all currently in positions of power at both FIFA & UEFA. The game so badly needs fresh, honest leadership and for me it can't happen quick enough. The damage done by decades of corruption under Blatter desparately needs repairing ! Talking of that slimy weasel - anyone know how & when his case is going to be in court ??
    I can't describe how much I hope you are correct in this......

If Platini and hopefully Blatter get done the for the integrity of the sport, they have to take it off Qatar.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One of my all time favourite players and member of that great French side that imo should have won the ‘82 World Cup. I hope he is innocent.

The daftest thing about our game is that it is run by two governing bodies at all … we only need one.

Outside of the actual game their biggest failing has been an absolute inability to get something done about Hampden. They missed an absolute trick with the Commonwealth games and even with Hampden being chosen as a venue for the next Euro championships they have still failed to see it as an opportunity to squeeze some cash for an upgrade out of the UK or Scottish governments.
    Very good points - always seem to agree with your posts.

Both competitions there should have been a clause for an upgrade but nope.

Incompetent and now we have SFA staff at Oriam and the rest in the west.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I can't describe how much I hope you are correct in this......
    GFA get caught in any sort of scandal Petrie gets it which could have implications for us.

Didn't realise that re the USA … or if I did I had forgotten

The logical choice would be Australia as they are the only country who haven't held it. I don't know, but was their bid centred around existing stadiums or were they in the position of having to build stadiums if their bid was successful? … if it was the latter 3 years is far too short a time frame to start on stadiums now. On that basis England would be a pretty good bet.

If it was to be the USA can I suggest they keep Diana Ross as far away from it as possible
    Not entirely sure why the Aussie bid failed. Off the top of my head, there are plenty stadiums. There are about 6 across Melbourne and Sydney alone that would be suitable, another 1-2 each in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. How many stadiums are needed?

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    This is really quite a serious situation and big news, but nobody appears to be shocked or hugely surprised. For that reason the tournament will likely still take place as planned, but quite a few in high office will pay a big price and have to face the consequences for their influence in making it happen. People were calling this out as soon as they saw Qatar on the shortlist and before being awarded the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    Not entirely sure why the Aussie bid failed. Off the top of my head, there are plenty stadiums. There are about 6 across Melbourne and Sydney alone that would be suitable, another 1-2 each in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. How many stadiums are needed?
    How are they fixed for oil fields though?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    One of my all time favourite players and member of that great French side that imo should have won the ‘82 World Cup. I hope he is innocent.
    I'm with you there. A joy to watch on the pitch.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

worth noting platini is only in for questioning

Q. Michel did you accept brown envelopes
    A Naw

kwestioning finished
    Yeah, I agree about human rights issues. So does that include USA too? Or are they suitably civilised? Recent history suggests not and there might be reasons to put Russia out too and other European and Asian countries. It's not just so-called developing countries. Tends to be case that if it doesn't affect us directly we ignore what's going on under our own noses.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk