hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Under Ron the Club is growing

Ron is on a mission to take the club to the next level...
    https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1441427464580841476?s=20
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 24-09-2021 at 04:02 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Is he, aye? I'm not coming back until we have a 100% record across all competitions and beat Hearts 50-0.

Seriously though, good news.

Don’t think you’ll find many Approved electricians, plumbers or “skilled” handymen willing to work for £24k a year though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don’t think you’ll find many Approved electricians, plumbers or “skilled” handymen willing to work for £24k a year though.
    From what I’ve seen and am hearing Saul, the model is very much on brand growth and as much investment in the team as possible. Admittedly - and it’s a concern for some - other areas are not going to be as invested in as per previous levels. He’s very focused on building the global Hibs brand (and Scottish football) which is great. I was a wee bit concerned at hearing recently about not investing as much in the pitch/playing surface. He’s already made changes to stadium staff and infrastructure.

That said, I’m excited that money is going to JR and it looks like Ron is fully focused on the first team and developing talent - I think we’ll see more players from untapped markets in the Americas too. It’s a no nonsense, high enthusiasm approach.

That video content role sounds like three or four entirely different jobs merged into one, I can't imagine anyone experienced going for it at the rate they're offering...

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Yeah, I have to say I wouldn't be getting out of bed in the morning for the salaries they're offering for any of those roles - and I wouldn't consider myself to be especially highly paid.

In particular, given how in demand tradespeople are at present, you'd wonder how much interest they'll have for the tradespeople roles they're advertising. Maybe they're hoping that supporters will sacrifice a percentage of their potential earnings in return for the opportunity to work for the club.

@hibs.net private member
    If those roles are full time the salaries are dreadful. Looks like it is trying to run the club on the cheap rather than it growing.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    If those roles are full time the salaries are dreadful. Looks like it is trying to run the club on the cheap rather than it growing.
    As I posted, I think the full focus is the first team and really pushing that. That’s where the money lies in football, from sales and transfers. Build the brand, develop and sell players, more for transfers and salaries - money will trickle down to non football roles if the model works. Covid aside, since he took over, you can’t argue the football side of things is working - highest league position, most away wins, finals and semi finals, players with value and interest from down south - the ‘cuts’ are in non football areas so the product on the pitch is better. Ultimately that’s what fans care about, not an electrician salary - exploitative ? Maybe - but sport and football are fickle.

I’m nervous and excited in equal proportions- but his intentions are good and to make a really really good side.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    As I posted, I think the full focus is the first team and really pushing that. That’s where the money lies in football, from sales and transfers. Build the brand, develop and sell players, more for transfers and salaries - money will trickle down to non football roles if the model works. Covid aside, since he took over, you can’t argue the football side of things is working - highest league position, most away wins, finals and semi finals, players with value and interest from down south - the ‘cuts’ are in non football areas so the product on the pitch is better. Ultimately that’s what fans care about, not an electrician salary - exploitative ? Maybe - but sport and football are fickle.

I’m nervous and excited in equal proportions- but his intentions are good and to make a really really good side.
    We are also a club that prides itself on the community outlook we have. I'd want everyone within our own Hibernian Community to be remunerated properly for the work they do.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    We are also a club that prides itself on the community outlook we have. I'd want everyone within our own Hibernian Community to be remunerated properly for the work they do.
    I think mixing the club's community outlook & the salaries it pays is pushing it a bit - we're not talking about minimum wage here.

If people don't want to apply for the jobs they don't have to. If the club don't get the standard of candidates that it's looking for then they'll have to review the offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I think mixing the club's community outlook & the salaries it pays is pushing it a bit - we're not talking about minimum wage here.

If people don't want to apply for the jobs they don't have to. If the club don't get the standard of candidates that it's looking for then they'll have to review the offers.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Seriously confused at those salaries.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar

Absolutely. The negativity on this thread is incredible versus what Ron Gordon actually says. I’m an auld git but I love the positivity Gordon is bringing to the club and the proof of the pudding is in the signings, the improved contracts and the stadium improvements. Long may it continue.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Absolutely. The negativity on this thread is incredible versus what Ron Gordon actually says. I’m an auld git but I love the positivity Gordon is bringing to the club and the proof of the pudding is in the signings, the improved contracts and the stadium improvements. Long may it continue.
    I’m not negative, love the outlook, just very conscious that you can’t ignore the infrastructure of any business. That’s my only worry about Ron. He’s come from an American focused outlook which is fine - all for growing Hibs and income. But proper investment is also required in non football areas. That’s what moves the whole machine forward.

Left by mutual consent!
    I’m not negative, love the outlook, just very conscious that you can’t ignore the infrastructure of any business. That’s my only worry about Ron. He’s come from an American focused outlook which is fine - all for growing Hibs and income. But proper investment is also required in non football areas. That’s what moves the whole machine forward.
    That's what he's doing though, investing in non football areas.

@hibs.net private member
    Ron's wanting plumbers, electricians, skilled tradesmen ?? That screams Flats to me, those pesky maroon balloons were right all along!! Muppets

@hibs.net private member

I don't think it is pushing it. In fact it feels like they are hoping to get Hibees to work on the cheap just for the kudos of working for the club they love. There is leaning on the community and also trying to take advantage. Ron is an American businessman so perhaps it is to do with how they recruit there.

The going rate for a spark looks to be around £30K and that comes with a van etc in most cases. We are offering 20% less.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    That's what he's doing though, investing in non football areas.
    He’s investing in things that grow income (screens, additional advertising etc) - all good 👍

I’m talking about other areas - what I heard about (lack of) investment in the pitch is worrying to be honest. That’s an important outlay for a football club.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Without wishing to appear negative, the poster has a point re salaries being offered for non football activities. A decent spark will easily earn at least double what is on offer. Surely as a club we are wanting to entice the best whether that’s football or non football.

it’s the same with getting fans to volunteer to work at the club. Why not pay a salary for people to do the job? Maybe the people you pay will then buy tickets for the game. How can the club afford big screens but need volunteers to carry out work at the stadium?

Can the big screens play up front?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    A young lad starting out on his own getting £24k is fantastic. Nobody is expecting someone with 30+ years experience to be going for it. They’ll stick with their higher paid jobs.

Not sure why there is any concern at all, seems 100% positive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    A young lad starting out on his own getting £24k is fantastic. Nobody is expecting someone with 30+ years experience to be going for it. They’ll stick with their higher paid jobs.

Know nothing about it but presume we’ve had contractors etc up until now as I’ve never known us to have our own tradesmen? Nobody knows the hours etc, therefore the salary may well be competitive. If nobody wants them then don’t take them.

He’s investing in things that grow income (screens, additional advertising etc) - all good 👍

I’m talking about other areas - what I heard about (lack of) investment in the pitch is worrying to be honest. That’s an important outlay for a football club.
    How can there be lack of investment in the pitch?!

Surely you pay for things when they’re needed. If it’s all good there’s nothing more to spend on?

Besides, it looks fantastic. The Hibs’ ladies goalie was saying it’s like a carpet, best she’s ever played on.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I don't think it is pushing it. In fact it feels like they are hoping to get Hibees to work on the cheap just for the kudos of working for the club they love. There is leaning on the community and also trying to take advantage. Ron is an American businessman so perhaps it is to do with how they recruit there.

The going rate for a spark looks to be around £30K and that comes with a van etc in most cases. We are offering 20% less.
    You're ignoring the points I made. You're hinting at exploitation which is definitely pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Know nothing about it but presume we’ve had contractors etc up until now as I’ve never known us to have our own tradesmen? Nobody knows the hours etc, therefore the salary may well be competitive. If nobody wants them then don’t take them.
    Exactly. It’s an in-house position. I can’t imagine a plumber or spark are going to be running around 40 hrs a week rushed off their feet. Be a cushty wee gig and maybe get free tickets as a perk or something!

Left by mutual consent!

These are recurring adverts tho. Not 6 months ago the club were looking for Journalists, Maintenance assistants etc. Again a lot of people commented then about the low salaries.

The club would possibly be better and cheaper getting in tow with a Facilities provider and only pay on a consumption basis.

It’s like making sausages, I don’t really need to know how they go about their business but everything that’s happened since RG arrived has been positive to me. No reason to doubt him now.

Maybe he’s thought of all options and figured this is the best way to go?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    The salary is not competitive in the market place for an approved 18th edition electrician. Maybe a sparks mate but not a spark worth his salt.

Coaching Staff
    How can there be lack of investment in the pitch?!

Surely you pay for things when they’re needed. If it’s all good there’s nothing more to spend on?

Besides, it looks fantastic. The Hibs’ ladies goalie was saying it’s like a carpet, best she’s ever played on.
    The proposed investment in the playing surface - from what I’ve been told - is laughable. I’m only passing on what I know - for me, Ron is great, driving the club forward in areas so long neglected. But I just don’t want other areas being forgotten.

He’s no nonsense - by all accounts he’s also got rid of folk who were merely topping up their pension - which is good. as they weren’t good. I still think you can’t ignore certain areas that’s all.

Exactly. It’s an in-house position. I can’t imagine a plumber or spark are going to be running around 40 hrs a week rushed off their feet. Be a cushty wee gig and maybe get free tickets as a perk or something!
    Yip. Maintenance tradesmen usually earn a lot less but it’s attractive for people because it is an easier gig with regular hours, steady PAYE wage as opposed to self employed everywhere else etc. I know a tradesman who works for Heriots school for way less than he could earn elsewhere but he enjoys the job and isn’t exactly rushed of his feet there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk