hibs.net Messageboard

Moving to US to live and work?

Seems it’s harder than ever right now. I have plenty time on my hands to sort out and job hunt (probably looking to go late this year) but the impression I’m getting is employers aren’t really doing sponsorship for visas just now?

Any experts on here any tips or opinions on whether that is the case and if it is likely to get better as we (hopefully) emerge from the pandemic and things improve?

I don’t have immediate family over there, can’t transfer with my current employer, and haven’t convinced an American lass to marry me 😁.. I realise I’m probably up against it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I’m no expert but did consider it many years back so take anything I say as most likely out of date. Most obvious thing as a foreigner you need a green card to get a job and at the time I was thinking of it they were very difficult to get, I think there were/are limits on the number that are issued per year. There are green card lotteries advertised which are a scam so don’t have anything to do with them. You can enter the US if you intend to set up a business but you need to have a huge amount of capital behind you to meet the criteria for entry and it was conditional on you taking on US nationals as employees. As I said it was a long long time ago that I was considering it but hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems it’s harder than ever right now. I have plenty time on my hands to sort out and job hunt (probably looking to go late this year) but the impression I’m getting is employers aren’t really doing sponsorship for visas just now?

Any experts on here any tips or opinions on whether that is the case and if it is likely to get better as we (hopefully) emerge from the pandemic and things improve?

I don’t have immediate family over there, can’t transfer with my current employer, and haven’t convinced an American lass to marry me 😁.. I realise I’m probably up against it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Yes, employers are finding it difficult to sponsor visas, even for people like me who are already here and on one.

Green cards are essentially a no-go for UK citizens except through marriage or if your employer can/will sponsor it, you'd most like have to be here first on a visa too.

Unless you work in certain fields (pharmaceuticals, finance etc) it is quite hard.

Keep looking though, I am far from an expert, just things I've picked up over the years.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Yes, employers are finding it difficult to sponsor visas, even for people like me who are already here and on one.

Green cards are essentially a no-go for UK citizens except through marriage or if your employer can/will sponsor it, you'd most like have to be here first on a visa too.

Unless you work in certain fields (pharmaceuticals, finance etc) it is quite hard.

Keep looking though, I am far from an expert, just things I've picked up over the years.
    I thought a proficiency in silly smilies got you in no bother? 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I thought a proficiency in silly smilies got you in no bother? 🤣
    If only!! I'd have a full passport by now!

I would've sent you to Guantanamo by now! 😉

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I would've sent you to Guantanamo by now! 😉
    Or that pal!!

Cheers folks 👍