hibs.net Messageboard

Page 124 of 270 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126134174224 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,720 of 8093
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Allan would flog his granny down a mine for an extra grand a week. Showed many times throughout his career that actually playing doesn't interest him much. Now is his chance to change that by coming here.
    What would you do for an extra 4 grand a week?

2. Log in to remove the advert

There has been a long standing frustration from some posters on here that almost any black player we sign is lazily compared to another black player regardless of similarity in playing style.

Perhaps read in that context the posts above will make far more sense. I see them as a comment, or criticism, on the casual or unintentional 'racism' of others rather than carrying any racist intent themselves.

In saying that it's probably time to move on from the joke now as it's evidently upset a few people, not everyone will have seen the previous discussion on this so it may well have been taken out of context and come across poorly.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding, an honest and genuine one that is very easy to make.

There is a bit of an in-joke going on following on from a thread a while ago.

It would be very easy to see a lot of this and assume that that there is racism going on but the truth is actually the opposite - it is an attempt to mock and ridicule racism and racists.

I have a very low tolerance of racism indeed (none actually) and I would never seek to excuse anything of a racist nature but I don't believe there is anyone honestly being racist here, although I accept that it might not look the case.

TBH it might look pretty bad.......

We really need to make a signing for the sake of this thread

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Are we now saying that comparing a black player to another black player is racist?

Really??

I’m hoping this a whoosh moment on my part.

@hibs.net private member
    Hi Thread, any transfer news?

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Are we now saying that comparing a black player to another black player is racist?

Really??

I wouldn't say that's what is being said.

There was a comparison made a while back, the 2 players escape me, that was ridiculous though and there seemed little logic behind it beyond them both being black. I do think there is a lazy stereotyping of black players that exists.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Really??

No, we are not saying this. As far as I'm aware Mulumbu and agyepong have very little in common, then Kevin Harper was also thrown into the mix. I don't see comparisons between those players on a footballing level really.

Ok Ok a bit of a misunderstanding, if you all want to carry on this discussion please take it over to the Holy Ground and try and leave this for signing and rumours ta very much.

Left by mutual consent!

Really??

Only if said Black player plays in a different position from whom you compare I believe. So what if I compare Scott Allan to Darren Mcgregor?

This place is bat **** crazy sometimes

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    There appear a lot of unsavoury looking comments appearing on this re Mulumbu this morning. Light hearted or not, they have no place in modern society and I encourage admins to act please. If it's what it looks like I'm actually disgusted.
    If you adopt a colour by numbers pro forma approach to the identification of racist intent and racist minds then you would perhaps be right. A problem with such an approach is that it also encompasses that which is not. I don’t know if there is any more than a sense of humour (that might also have applied to ginger/bearded/balding characteristics) and neither do you so your ‘disgust’ is a product of your own imagination.

As a society we can’t move forward till skin pigment can take its place alongside other trivial physical characteristics and be subject to innocent jocularity without discomfort and without mock outrage

I think we failed to adequately replace our best ever ginger forward

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    No, we are not saying this. As far as I'm aware Mulumbu and agyepong have very little in common, then Kevin Harper was also thrown into the mix. I don't see comparisons between those players on a footballing level really.
    So you're making exactly the same point as the people you are complaining about then?

Their posts were sarcastically comparing the players for exactly the reasons you mention based on previous conversations that have taken place.

Left by mutual consent!
    I agree we need a signing to get this back on track.

First Team Regular leithsansiro's Avatar
    Hmmm, I’m not sure some of those posts are satire to be fair. There are suspiciously dodgy undercurrents and the same jokes wouldn’t be getting made, satirically or not, about players who are white. It sounds a bit like a excuse for a bit of casual lazy racism.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Really??

It’s not if you’re comparing them on footballing ability and they are similar players.

The issue that people are taking the piss out of though is that some black players have been compared to other black players who are totally different players. Think Mark Milligan being compared to Scott Allan or something along those lines and that’s the kind of comparisons we’ve saw made with black players.

Quote Originally Posted by leithsansiro View Post
    Hmmm, I’m not sure some of those posts are satire to be fair. There are suspiciously dodgy undercurrents and the same jokes wouldn’t be getting made, satirically or not, about players who are white. It sounds a bit like a excuse for a bit of casual lazy racism.
    Looking at the posters involved in the 'joke' and recalling some of their views on racism on other threads over the years on here I'd be absolutely stunned if that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Only if said Black player plays in a different position from whom you compare I believe. So what if I compare Scott Allan to Darren Mcgregor?
    That is what the poster was saying, there was a thread where one poster tried to say one certain black player was the same as another even though they played in a different position, he was shot down for doing so. MWC was doing the same with all his usual style and it wasn't picked up that he was having a wee dig because certain posters haven't seen the original thread.

Admins - there have been about 40 warning about closing this thread. CAN WE PLEASE JUST CLOSE IT. Lets get an actual transfer thread up and running.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    The commentator for Hibs TV never got this memo. Every time Ambrose went past the 18 yard line he was off on a “Bamba-esque” run.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Ok everyone, we've decided to delete the posts that appeared there.

Feel free to discuss the point in another thread if you like but leave this one for its intended purpose.

Thanks
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I don't think I have ever criticised admins on .net but i am now. The deletions on this thread are just ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I remember when I used to come onto .net for news on Hibs and stuff like that, remember that? It was good back then eh?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    I remember when I used to come onto .net for news on Hibs and stuff like that, remember that? It was good back then eh?
    Back in the days of dial up 😉

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I don't think I have ever criticised admins on .net but i am now. The deletions on this thread are just ridiculous.
    Really? Do you think they are anything they are anything to do with a transfer thread?

I get that some posters got the in-joke but clearly there was plenty others that didn't and plenty more that could have interpreted the posts in a different manner.

Feel free to discuss it in the appropriate place.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    I tried to make a small joke earlier about Waiting for Gauldot. What has transpired since suggests to me that this thread is in fact a modern Hibernian reworking of exactly that script. I sense a Fringe show.

In other news does anyone have any - absolutely any - gossip, rumours or tittle tattle about possible signings? I'd settle for even just that right now.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Admins - there have been about 40 warning about closing this thread. CAN WE PLEASE JUST CLOSE IT. Lets get an actual transfer thread up and running.
    What makes you think that the new one would stay on track?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    Seriously though you have made a cracking point.This place was brilliant used to be my go to forum 1st before any other,its despearte now,the Holy Ground is still decent but the football side of the forum is torture.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Can we get this thread back on track please? Any transfer news?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Shouldn't have just watched 'Sunderland 'til I Die' while we're in this transfer window. Martin Bain, the attitude of players and the difficulty of ifs, buts and maybes in signing targets seems to make it a pretty grim lottery.
    They seemed to be clutching at straws on deadline day. No plan, no idea, no clue. Was actually cringing watching it. I'm not surprised they were relegated.