hibs.net Messageboard

Page 67 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2340

Thread: Neil Lennon

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stubbs brought in about 30 players. Loads of them were terrible too.
    Whataboutery at its finest, and "loads" is a huge overstatement compared to Lennon. Stubbs came into a club with not enough players for a full first team so had to sign quite a few players at short notice and as such there was much more pressure for him to sign a lot of players. Lennon inherited an excellent team and through a number of transfer windows unbalanced it and filled it with overpaid dross.

The recruitment for the two were night and day. The fact we still have a few signings at the club who were first signed by Stubbs says a lot, and that we have two of his signings playing at decent levels in Italy and the English Premiership says a lot too.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Possibly because most of that is made up or at least an incredibly one sided view of events?

Kamberi was criticised because he was still a Hibs player and admitted that Rangers were his dream club and that after only his second game for us he had asked his agent to get a move to Rangers.

We all know Lennon's background with Celtic. When he was here though I don't think that was ever an issue. The stuff about him not celebrating or asking others not to celebrate is nonsense.

We really don't know what went on with the players or with Kamberi. I think the way the team and Kamberi were playing they deserved some criticism. Several players have since said he was the best manager they've ever worked with and so I suspect the bullying and scapegoating is a bit sensationalist.

He's certainly someone who seems to get people upset but I'm not aware of anything he ever did to our club that should mean that I have to have any negative feelings towards him.
    I’m not sure that’s anymore balanced than the post you’re quoting.

There was good, Marciano, Ambrose, the 17/18 season and the second half to the season being as exciting as any I’ve seen, and taking Stevenson, Boyle, the midfield, and a few others up a level further.

The bad, the spats (Duffy & the 4th official), Tynecastle meltdown where he questioned Hibs’ ambition and threatened to quit after, the 33 signings of which we only still have Marciano, Mallan & Allan with very few of the others generating a fee. Constantly calling out the players (which was probably merited) yet zero acknowledgement of any responsibility he had for what was going on and then going AWOL from press conferences.

He was a mixed bag.

A significantly higher % of them were a success. Its not even close tbh.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    A significantly higher % of them were a success. Its not even close tbh.
    Yep, Stubbs signed a lot of dudds but also signed the core of a team that were the backbone of subsequent managers’ teams until they got too old. As well as the fee we got for McGinn.

Lennon signed 33 players. Only 3 of which are still here with one apparently about to leave, Mallan, and one which is also a Stubbs signing, Allan. With fees only received for Horgan (who we also paid a fee to sign) & Kamberi.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’m not sure that’s anymore balanced than the post you’re quoting.

There was good, Marciano, Ambrose, the 17/18 season and the second half to the season being as exciting as any I’ve seen, and taking Stevenson, Boyle, the midfield, and a few others up a level further.

The bad, the spats (Duffy & the 4th official), Tynecastle meltdown where he questioned Hibs’ ambition and threatened to quit after, the 33 signings of which we only still have Marciano, Mallan & Allan with very few of the others generating a fee. Constantly calling out the players (which was probably merited) yet zero acknowledgement of any responsibility he had for what was going on and then going AWOL from press conferences.

He was a mixed bag.
    Good summary.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    No point in trying to be fair or logical, it’s Stubbs good, Lennon bad on here for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    No point in trying to be fair or logical, it’s Stubbs good, Lennon bad on here for a lot of people.
    Surely comparing one manager with a very good strike rate, despite taking over a freshly relegated club with only a handful of first team players and no goalie with another manager who took over a cup winning team, one of the best midfields in Scotland and signed a lot more players who "just didn't work out" and taking them as like for like isn't "fair" or "logical"?

Way too many on here try to underplay the brilliant job Stubbs did to defend a bang average manager.

I'm guessing you'll now be telling me about Lennon's brilliant promotion season where without Hearts and Rangers in the league he got a whole one point more than Stubbs, or how he "Phil Aireyed" the signing of Scott Allan. Maybe even the fourth place where if he didn't create a boy band it should have been second.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Or Lennon good, Stubbs bad for others.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Surely comparing one manager with a very good strike rate, despite taking over a freshly relegated club with only a handful of first team players and no goalie with another manager who took over a cup winning team, one of the best midfields in Scotland and signed a lot more players who "just didn't work out" and taking them as like for like isn't "fair" or "logical"?

Way too many on here try to underplay the brilliant job Stubbs did to defend a bang average manager.

I'm guessing you'll now be telling me about Lennon's brilliant promotion season where without Hearts and Rangers in the league he got a whole one point more than Stubbs, or how he "Phil Aireyed" the signing of Scott Allan. Maybe even the fourth place where if he didn't create a boy band it should have been second.
    It’s not the underplaying of Stubbs that seems so evident, it’s the over criticism of all things Lennon.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Or Lennon good, Stubbs bad for others.
    Couldn’t disagree more. Where’s that evident?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Just been reading this. He has to go down as one of Celtic's worst signings, ever. The AC Milan lad ain't what he's made out to be either. Extremely average SPL player.

If Lennon stays and / or signs these players then they've gift wrapped the 21/22 title to The Rangers FC.

The current Celtic team is woeful. Even my Celtic friends agree.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    How does he rank against Raphael Scheidt?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

It’s not the underplaying of Stubbs that seems so evident, it’s the over criticism of all things Lennon.
    ...you do realise he left us with an unbalanced squad of journeymen plummeting down the table and is now doing the same at Celtic, the easiest job in the country?

First Team Breakthrough
    For me Cup winning Stubbs changed the club around from playing butcher hoofball to nice attacking all possession football .
    Granted we didn't win all the time but it was joyful to watch as a supporter i was confident, a thing i never had been for a long time maybe as far back when Mowbray was at Hibs . Lennon carried the torch right up till we had best midfield in Scotland Allan, Mcgeouch and Mcginn ripping teams apart. Then it started to go downhill. Today i hate to say it but there is hardly any of that flair its like going back in time to Fenlon days and not good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by ads913 View Post
    r its like going back in time to Fenlon days and not good to watch.
    It really, truly isn't anywhere near Fenlon times.

Coaching Staff
    Well we were losing cup finals in those days instead of semi finals so I suppose not.

Gamer IDs

Fenlon times were so much worse. I’m far far happier with the current set up than I was back then.

Gamer IDs

...you do realise he left us with an unbalanced squad of journeymen plummeting down the table and is now doing the same at Celtic, the easiest job in the country?
    When things aren’t going well it’s toys out the pram and pointing fingers.

Lots of the football we played was great, I was always confident we could get a result, and his signings weren’t half as terrible as some would make out.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Couldn’t disagree more. Where’s that evident?
    You can almost guarantee on here that if someone is wanting to big up Lennon on here that it’ll usually come with a dig at Stubbs - usually about us getting promoted under Lennon and not Stubbs. To be fair, I don’t disagree with you that it also happens the other way but it’s certainly not a one way street.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 01-02-2021 at 01:26 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'm buckled

Possibly because most of that is made up or at least an incredibly one sided view of events?

Kamberi was criticised because he was still a Hibs player and admitted that Rangers were his dream club and that after only his second game for us he had asked his agent to get a move to Rangers.

We all know Lennon's background with Celtic. When he was here though I don't think that was ever an issue. The stuff about him not celebrating or asking others not to celebrate is nonsense.

We really don't know what went on with the players or with Kamberi. I think the way the team and Kamberi were playing they deserved some criticism. Several players have since said he was the best manager they've ever worked with and so I suspect the bullying and scapegoating is a bit sensationalist.

He's certainly someone who seems to get people upset but I'm not aware of anything he ever did to our club that should mean that I have to have any negative feelings towards him.
    I might have misremembered the timing of the comment about not celebrating a Hibs goal, but my recollection is that he said it at a Celtic-minded function a few months before he left Hibs. Other than that nothing in my post is made up, nor is it particularly one-sided as far as I'm concerned.

Kamberi said nothing in public about wanting to play for Rangers until after he was loaned to them. If he hadn't gone to them he would probably never have said anything about it and would be remembered with a bit less vitriol than he is now. I said in my op that he was foolish and disrespectful to make the comment anyway.
    Lennon and Parker called him out by name at least twice in post-match interviews when a wiser manager might have been more circumspect. Lennon did similar with Leigh Griffiths on Saturday.
    There was plenty talk of bullying at the time of the fall out but nothing official, which is why I said 'allegedly'.

Kamberi seems to be a complex character and Lennon made a complete mess of dealing with him. Lennon is a decent manager as long as things are going well but a disaster when they go wrong. Both have disrespected Hibs so I have little time for either of them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Kamberi said nothing in public about wanting to play for Rangers until after he was loaned to them. If he hadn't gone to them he would probably never have said anything about it and would be remembered with a bit less vitriol than he is now. I said in my op that he was foolish and disrespectful to make the comment anyway.
    Maybe he said those things knowing Lennon was listening. He did lather it on.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Leaving Celtic in the next 24 hours.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Steve Clarke the bookies favourite to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Rumours that Kennedy will take over as assistant. Here's hoping he ends up terrible and the gap can be reduced before the split.

Should have been emptied a while ago. Things must be bad off the pitch as well as on it for them to not let him carry on for the final games of the season. Will be interesting to see who they replace him with in the summer.

I can’t remember loads of terrible Stubbs signings? If he brought in about 30, loads of which were terrible... that suggests you could name double figures? Surely not.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Steve Clarke the bookies favourite to replace him.
    I've just had a text to say he's taking over after the Euros.

Wouldn't shock me if Lennon ended up at Dundee once McPake is emptied. He's not going to get a better job in management and after going for the inexperienced choice in McPake, they may want to go for a more experienced manager.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I've just had a text to say he's taking over after the Euros.
    Thought he wanted to leave Killie due to the sectarian issues in Scotland.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16