hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly, yet there are people rushing to claim he's not as good as Marciano based on that same limited evidence.

I'll put my trust in the judgement of Ross, who has just led us to third place for the first time in far too long.
    That’s more understandable though.

Rocky has been here 5 years playing at a high level of consistency, he has played regular football for about 10 years and played nearly 30 international games.

Ross clearly has him as our number one.

Macey has played a handful of games for us, not all faultless by any means but good overall, has played one full season ever for a team that got relegated.

There’s a bit more there behind the thought that Rocky is the better keeper.

Hopefully Macey becomes a capable replacement but we are a long way from knowing that. We don’t know how he is with crowds in the ground, how he reacts to mistakes or poor form, how many mistakes he makes over a longer period, how he handles derbies etc etc.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    No room for sentiment in football. Macey and Dabrowski have committed to the club so one of them should start, hopefully the young lad. Thank Marciano for his efforts but not his gloves anymore.
    It would hardly be sentiment if you were to play the goalie who has been your number one all season, when you’ve just had your best league finish for 16 years.

There might be reasons to play or not play him but it’ll be nothing to do with sentiment if he does.

@hibs.net private member
    A good keeper, compared to what we've had in the recent past, but I wouldn't call him a great one.

I think Macey will prove to be the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    He's lost there 3 times with Hibs. SC semi in 2017 3-2 to Aberdeen, SC semi 2-1 to Hearts last year and this year's LC semi 3-0 to St Johnstone.

I'm a fan of Rocky but I'm happy with Macey in the final. I think it has been good man management by JR the way he's handled it.
    So he has, forgot this season.

I’m sad to see Rocky leaving. It’s just a pity Hibs supporters will not get the chance to show their appreciation. He has been a fantastic keeper for us in a position that was problematic for many years. Wish him well wherever he ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    So he has, forgot this season.
    I'd actually thought it was more than 3 times. We've lost 2 LC semis to Celtic in his time with us but it was Laidlaw in the 4-2 game in 2017 and Maxwell in the 5-2 game in 219.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Without doubt probably the best naturally instinctive reactionary goalkeeper I have seen at HIBS

All the best for the future Rocky!

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    You have to earn your place in a cup final and Marciano has been a part of a few semi final squads that fell short.

He has been an excellent keeper who has gotten both what Hibs are all about and he will be a player whose career I will follow. Very sad to see him go and wish him all the best.
    Who will we actually be able to play, then? Basically every player we have has done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Was that the one where he lined up his wall to protect the near post so that he could be positioned for a cross, only for the wall to break up allowing the Aberdeen player to score at the near post which Marciano had thought was protected?
    Thats the one. It really is a testiment to how good he has been that this, 4 years on, is still being talked about.

Got 5 years out of him. Really good servant and really good goalkeeper. We had a few years of having really dodgy keepers (especially ones who seemed to buckle under the pressure against Hearts) so good to have a consistent performer in that position.

His decision making for crosses was sometimes flaky but fantastic shot stopper. The worldie of a save he made against Dundee back in November 2017 comes to mind.

Agree no time for sentiment now and IMO Macey has earned his place in the final. All the best Rocky!

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    I can understand what JR was doing having a 'cup goalie' but cup semi-finals and finals are the biggest games of the season for Hibs and its a bit of a shame that this means the number 1 goalkeeper doesnt get to play in the biggest games. Next week would have been the biggest game of his time at Hibs and he must feel a bit snubbed - unless, of course, there is something we dont know.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    If you were a GK that has committed to the club and you got dropped despite playing well in each game so far for a departing keeper would you be happy? Macey should rightfully start the cup final.

Rocky has been solid for us, but as others say he’s chosen to leave. He goes with good wishes, but I look forward to seeing more of Macey and hope he is an even better keeper and there has been nothing so far to suggest that he won’t be.

Big time big game player. An outstanding servant to the club, got what it means to play for Hibs, and has never had a bad word to say about us. Can count his mistakes on two hands in those 5 years. The fact our official Twitter is obsessed with Scott brown today rather than Ofir is indicative of where our social media has got to. Gutted to see the big man leave and will be a really hard job for replacements to live up to his standards.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    If you were a GK that has committed to the club and you got dropped despite playing well in each game so far for a departing keeper would you be happy? Macey should rightfully start the cup final.

Rocky has been solid for us, but as others say he’s chosen to leave. He goes with good wishes, but I look forward to seeing more of Macey and hope he is an even better keeper and there has been nothing so far to suggest that he won’t be.
    You don’t just drop players that are leaving though.

We don’t have any commitment from Irvine for next year. Assume we should sit him out until we do? I’m sure Hallberg could do a decent job for example?

The best Hibs keeper in my lifetime, what a player he's been for us. Some of his saves have been ridiculous.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Big time big game player. An outstanding servant to the club, got what it means to play for Hibs, and has never had a bad word to say about us. Can count his mistakes on two hands in those 5 years. The fact our official Twitter is obsessed with Scott brown today rather than Ofir is indicative of where our social media has got to. Gutted to see the big man leave and will be a really hard job for replacements to live up to his standards.
    I've nothing at all against Rocky and would have been happy enough to see him continue with us had a contract been sorted out, but in what way has he been "an outstanding servant to the club"?

From what I've seen he's simply done his job, sometimes very well and sometimes not so well. He's had various layoffs with injury and personal issues (as can happen with anyone) and has also been accommodated in terms of his religion.

I sincerely hope the best for him in the future, but I don't hold him in the same esteem as many on here.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 15-05-2021 at 12:24 PM.

@hibs.net private member

The comment was made without making judgement as to who should play.

I think, anyone, looking at it from Rocky's point of view would feel a bit hard done by. It could have been an amazing cap to his 5 years to play in the final and he's the established first choice. Equally, Macey is just starting out, has had some great exposure and hopefully has more semi finals and finals ahead.

My overall view of Rocky is that he wasnt the greatest coming off his line or with the ball at his feet but he has been a fantastic shotstopper whichbis what you actually want from a goalkeeper. Hibs have had a fair few goalkeepers who dont make saves - Oxley for one, where nearly every shot on target ends as a goal. With Marciano, that was never the case and strikers have always had to work really hard to beat him. He's had a couple of blips along the way but overall has been truly excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

We don’t have any commitment from Irvine for next year. Assume we should sit him out until we do? I’m sure Hallberg could do a decent job for example?
    Not the same situation. Irvine hasn't said he is definitely leaving and Hallberg's contract isn't about to end. JR told Macey he'd get the cup games and for all we know, that might be what persuaded him to sign for us. Given that JR gave him that commitment, are you saying he should go back on his word? Or are you saying that his mistake was to do what was necessary to get a player signing over the line (one that he was obviously confident about being a good player for us having seen him up close for 3-4 months)?

And Rocky hasn't been dropped as such, he's playing today.
    Last edited by 007; 15-05-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Fixed that for you. I hate Americanisation creeping into our language. Headed, gotten, vacation, movie etc...moan, ....nag......blah, blah.

I would just echo what you say, wish the guy all the best. If there were fans present I might play him, as it is I’d be starting Macey.
    I'm with you in principle but "gotten" is actually old or middle English! We shortened it to got, the North Americans didn't!

Good luck in the future rocky, was some outstanding saves at times.

Gamer IDs

Rocky isn’t being dropped for the final cause he’s not played in the SC games, Macey would be the one being dropped and he’s done nothing to deserve that.

And yes i’d start Hallberg next week, but alongside Irvine.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Without doubt probably the best naturally instinctive reactionary goalkeeper I have seen at HIBS

All the best for the future Rocky!

I'm guessing your too young to remember Goram or Leighton? As good as Rocky has been he's nowhere near their standards

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    The comment was made without making judgement as to who should play.

I think, anyone, looking at it from Rocky's point of view would feel a bit hard done by. It could have been an amazing cap to his 5 years to play in the final and he's the established first choice. Equally, Macey is just starting out, has had some great exposure and hopefully has more semi finals and finals ahead.

My overall view of Rocky is that he wasnt the greatest coming off his line or with the ball at his feet but he has been a fantastic shotstopper whichbis what you actually want from a goalkeeper. Hibs have had a fair few goalkeepers who dont make saves - Oxley for one, where nearly every shot on target ends as a goal. With Marciano, that was never the case and strikers have always had to work really hard to beat him. He's had a couple of blips along the way but overall has been truly excellent.

I’d agree with that. Distribution and commanding his box wasn’t his strength but his shot stopping and reactions were outstanding at times. After years of dodgy keepers, he was definitely a welcome addition and a solid keeper.

I’d like to have seen Rocky stay but from what i’ve seen so far of Macey, I think we’ve got a really good replacement.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Goram's last season was the one before I was born.
    Good luck Rocky been a cracking keeper

Ps you were alive when Jim Leighton was our keeper 😉

Rocky isn’t being dropped for the final cause he’s not played in the SC games, Macey would be the one being dropped and he’s done nothing to deserve that.

And yes i’d start Hallberg next week, but alongside Irvine.

given he’s played every cup game and appears to have been given that commitment from JR, it would be a kick in the teeth for Macey to be dropped for the final, doubly so having signed on for the longer term.

Macey should play in the final, he’s earned it

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Fixed that for you. I hate Americanisation creeping into our language. Headed, gotten, vacation, movie etc...moan, ....nag......blah, blah.

I would just echo what you say, wish the guy all the best. If there were fans present I might play him, as it is I’d be starting Macey.
    I preferred the posters use of gotten instead of got BUT in almost every instance substituting another word for gotten or got is better and more descriptive as well.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    given he’s played every cup game and appears to have been given that commitment from JR, it would be a kick in the teeth for Macey to be dropped for the final, doubly so having signed on for the longer term.

Macey should play in the final, he’s earned it

He's Magic you know, Ofir Marciano,Good luck today and especially next week.

A real shame a deal couldn't be agreed for him to end his career here as they have become a brilliant Hibee family, but Less rain in Tel aviv for the big man that's one bonus

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Not the same situation. Irvine hasn't said he is definitely leaving and Hallberg's contract isn't about to end. JR told Macey he'd get the cup games and for all we know, that might be what persuaded him to sign for us. Given that JR gave him that commitment, are you saying he should go back on his word? Or are you saying that his mistake was to do what was necessary to get a player signing over the line (one that he was obviously confident about being a good player for us having seen him up close for 3-4 months)?

And Rocky hasn't been dropped as such, he's playing today.
    I was responding to the suggestion he shouldn’t be playing at all now because he’s leaving. That’s rubbish. The cup decision has been a side one but Rocky has been first choice and leaving hasn’t changed that this season.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    I'm guessing your too young to remember Goram or Leighton? As good as Rocky has been he's nowhere near their standards
    Far from it

Goram the best by far followed by Leighton then Roughie

Rocky the best instinctive reflex goalie in the split second apart from that never been a fan

Still wish him all the best

Gamer IDs

I was responding to the suggestion he shouldn’t be playing at all now because he’s leaving. That’s rubbish. The cup decision has been a side one but Rocky has been first choice and leaving hasn’t changed that this season.
    Wasn’t a really a suggestion he shouldnt be playing cause he’s leaving though was it? I said i don’t think Macey would be happy to be dropped for a keeper who’s leaving when he hasn’t done anything to warrant being dropped. Even if Rocky wasn’t leaving, Macey has earned his spot in my eyes.