hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The service and support from midfield was diabolical at Livi. Whilst it’s never really right to judge a player on one game, that game was a particularly harsh one to criticise Doidge for.
    His failure to control a ball was nowt to do with the midfield at Livi. Although I agree they were terrible also. The issue I was talking about was when the keeper, Hanlon, Daz or Stevenson played it long. Nothing stuck and most of the time it went back towards our defence putting us straight under pressure.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    His failure to control a ball was nowt to do with the midfield at Livi. Although I agree they were terrible also. The issue I was talking about was when the keeper, Hanlon, Daz or Stevenson played it long. Nothing stuck and most of the time it went back towards our defence putting us straight under pressure.
    I would agree with that, it wasn’t his finest game.

That’s not really been the case throughout his time with us imo. Horrible pitch, windy, balls being hoofed up to him with no support - that’s a tough shift for any striker.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Big doidge will hit a treble against them next week!!
    Mark my words
    He is due a goal again that’s for sure Might just stick some money on Hibs win Doidge to score But not a Hat-rick Shankkand also to score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    If Doidge maintains his current strike rate then he’s on course for c20 goals in League and Cup competitions this season. Decent return if he manages it. Not many Hibs strikers have done this over the past 40 years, I would guess?

Has Shankland even scored in the SPL yet?

Prolific at a lower level, probably a standard not dissimilar to Doidge at Forest Green or whatever? Remains to be seen whether he can step up a level.

Whilst the 5k a week rumour is probably as speculative as the Doidge 350k transfer fee ( which I find highly unlikely, maybe with all manner of conceivable add ons etc). A wage like that would put him beyond Hibs’ reach anyway.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    Doidge is growing on me. I doubt PH was ever interested in Shankland.
    PH wouldnt know a good player if one punched him on the nose, until shankland starts knocking them in for fun in the Premier league, then none of us know how good he is.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyrougier123 View Post
    Big doidge will hit a treble against them next week!!
    Mark my words 💚💚💚
    No chance.

I’m not confident at all and think Declan Glass and Shankland will put us out the cup.

I’d be delighted at a draw and take them back to Easter Road and beat them under the lights with a decent crowd giving us the edge.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    No chance.

I’m not confident at all and think Declan Glass and Shankland will put us out the cup.

I’d be delighted at a draw and take them back to Easter Road and beat them under the lights with a decent crowd giving us the edge.
    You would be delighted with a draw against a championship team, what a load of nonsense

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    You would be delighted with a draw against a championship team, what a load of nonsense
    An inform Championship team full of confidence 17 points clear in their division playing against an out of form SPL team. Neilson will have them right up for it, out to prove a point.

Be a tough game for our lads.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Aye, cause Championship teams never put SPL teams out the cup right enough

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    In fairness, I doubt there was much delight amongst any of those SPL teams that got a draw or put out.

An inform Championship team full of confidence 17 points clear in their division playing against an out of form SPL team. Neilson will have them right up for it, out to prove a point.

Aye, Neilsons record when ''he will have his team right up for it'' is excellent in the past

Will be a tough game but we are the better side.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Where did I say they didnt? If we got a draw against a championship team I wouldnt be delighted that's for sure, if that makes you happy then fire in, I obviously have higher standards set

Of course they will be up for it and so they should be, but we should never be happy drawing with a team from a lower league and I'm sure that the management team wouldnt be either

Of course they will be up for it and so they should be, but we should never be happy drawing with a team from a lower league and I'm sure that the management team wouldnt be either
    I'll be happy as long as we get through any tie, however we do it (with the possible exception of times when our fixtures our piling up and replays lead to us playing games we could really do without having).

I don't think we're so "big" that we can say that we wouldn't be remotely content with a draw. I'd strongly fancy us against United at Easter Road, a tie for us away to flying leaders of the Championship will always have something of the banana skin about it, whoever that team happens to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'll be happy as long as we get through any tie, however we do it (with the possible exception of times when our fixtures our piling up and replays lead to us playing games we could really do without having).

I don't think we're so "big" that we can say that we wouldn't be remotely content with a draw. I'd strongly fancy us against United at Easter Road, a tie for us away to flying leaders of the Championship will always have something of the banana skin about it, whoever that team happens to be.
    Yip of course it has potential to be a banana skin game but before the game has kicked off I wouldnt be saying I'd be happy with a draw, we are still the better team regardless of how well they are playing in the championship

@hibs.net private member
    Doidge isn't as bad as some make out, but is nowhere near as good as others want you to believe.

Shankland has been a better signing for Dundee Utd than Doidge has been for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Doidge isn't as bad as some make out, but is nowhere near as good as others want you to believe.

Shankland has been one of the best signings of the season, so that isn't really much of a criticism of Doidge, who I would suggest has also been a good signing.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

Fair comment although Doidgey will hopefully prove it to be wrong come Friday.

A lot of tosh being written about an away draw being a poor result from some people with very poor memories. A certain team from the Championship knocked out all comers on the way to Cup victory only a few seasons back - and they were not on anything like the run of form the Arabs find themselves on at the moment IIRC. Any result that keeps us in the cup will be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post

A lot of tosh being written about an away draw being a poor result from some people with very poor memories. A certain team from the Championship knocked out all comers on the way to Cup victory only a few seasons back - and they were not on anything like the run of form the Arabs find themselves on at the moment IIRC. Any result that keeps us in the cup will be a good one.
    Maybe you think its tosh but i hope the players dont have the same mindset, they should not even be thinking a draw would be a good result before a ball is even kicked. That mentality is what holds folk back.

First Team Breakthrough

Whats happening on Friday?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Various rumours in the papers say both Celtc and QPR are scouting Shankland.

I don’t think they are scouting Doidge.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Various rumours in the papers say both Celtc and QPR are scouting Shankland.

I don’t think they are scouting Doidge.
    What a bizzare comment....so if they arent scouting Morelos then Shankland is better than him too?

@hibs.net private member
    Maybe you think its tosh but i hope the players dont have the same mindset, they should not even be thinking a draw would be a good result before a ball is even kicked. That mentality is what holds folk back.

Of course the players and the manager will go into the game with the certain belief that they have the ability to win - but they won't go into it disrespecting their opponents by thinking it'll be a walkover - an attitude which is often a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure they will be realistic in their assessment - ie they are perfectly capable of winning the game at Tannadice but giving anything less than 100% will leave them wide open to being knocked out by very capable opponents who are in winning form. Hibs will be striving to win but will also know perfectly well that taking United back to Easter Road will be anything but a disaster - a better result for us than it would be for them certainly.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moody Blues View Post
    Whats happening on Friday?
    Glad you pulled me up on that - somehow had it in my head it was another Friday night match.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar

Realistically who’ve Dundee Utd actually faced this season that’s been a big challenge? No-one really. There’s not been any other strong challengers in the league for them this season either

I’ll hold my hands up and say they’re a decent side if they knock us out but from the times I’ve seen them this season, limited mind you, they’ve not looked anything special

It's good that Doidge found a bit of goal scoring form after a fairly quiet start, and hopefully he can do something similar in the second half of the season.

However, even the most blinkered and ridiculous of hibs.net posters would do well to play down how good Shankland has been for Utd.

In my opinion this isn't even close to debate-worthy (but that is only my opinion and it has reached a few pages already ).

I would love to have Lawrence Shankland in the Hibs team. And I'd give (one of) most of our players to have him. Absolutely no question.

Having said that - I hope he has an absolute shocker next weekend, and any Doidge voters are feeding me humble pie.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Really thought Shankland was heading to a top SPFL club. Perhaps all our recruitment is not the best and a part of the reason we’re all a million miles behind the ugly sisters.
    Part of the reason maybe, but I think having 50k fans a week might have a lot to do with it.

I find it strange that nobody took a punt on Shankland, but maybe it is one of those cases where fitba folk actually do know what's going on.

Maybe the guy is too slow,or lacking the brains to play at the top level. Simon Murray has a successful spell at United, but went past his level when he went to Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Part of the reason maybe, but I think having 50k fans a week might have a lot to do with it.

I find it strange that nobody took a punt on Shankland, but maybe it is one of those cases where fitba folk actually do know what's going on.

Maybe the guy is too slow,or lacking the brains to play at the top level. Simon Murray has a successful spell at United, but went past his level when he went to Hibs.
    He isn't blessed with a lot of pace. Definitely doesn't appear to lack a football brain though.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    What a bizzare comment....so if they arent scouting Morelos then Shankland is better than him too?

It wasn’t that hard to see my point, was it?

If so, I will try again: Scottish champions and an English championship club seem to have Shankland on their watch list. I am not aware that clubs of a similar calibre are scouting our number 9.

Given that attracting transfer fees for our talent is a key factor for success, at the moment it would suggest that Shankland is a hotter property than Doidge and therefore a better signing.

If this still isn’t pedantic enough for you, I am sure you will let me know.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It wasn’t that hard to see my point, was it?

If so, I will try again: Scottish champions and an English championship club seem to have Shankland on their watch list. I am not aware that clubs of a similar calibre are scouting our number 9.

Given that attracting transfer fees for our talent is a key factor for success, at the moment it would suggest that Shankland is a hotter property than Doidge and therefore a better signing.

If this still isn’t pedantic enough for you, I am sure you will let me know.
    If Celtic are trying to sign Shankland, it's so he doesn't play against them next year, and will probably be backed up with a joke fee being offered.