hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You think no one at Hibs is on 3.5k ?

I don’t know personally but I’d be surprised at that.
    The recent articles in the papers suggested our average wage was £136K a year so around £2.6K a week. Id be surprised if a couple weren't on more than £3.5K

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I'm going to back the Hibs player, who knows what he'll achieve.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Shankland would have been an excellent signing but an expensive one and a risk.

I'm quite happy with Doidge tbh. He's had an excellent 2nd quarter to the season and has scored a few goals. A few of them have been far from clinical but at least he gets into the right positions (something SHankland is also excellent at btw) but his all round play is often to a very high standard and he fits in well with the likes of Allan, Boyle and Kamberi.

The lad also looks like he's busting a gut every single week, even when things aren't going for him. Shankland has chosen to play for a team at the top of a weak league where he'll get plenty of chances. We don't yet know how he might do at a club who would struggle to feed him so much.

I don't understand why the recruitment team are getting a hard time. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that they do all the analysis and then present the manager with the options for each position. Heckingbottom then signed players from this analysis that fitted into his plans so if anyone is to blame then it's him. Just like the fact he didn't sign a defensive midfielder. The more analysis the better in my opinion as I don't want the Levein "get 10 every window and hope that one works" method.

Shankland is now out with our price range is he worth it time will tell. He has done nada in the top league whilst Dodige has scored in the top league many have been more luck than judgement imho.

Could we still afford Dodige if he was not our player yes.

So we just have to wait and see I am comfortable with what we have and what we have alleged to have missed.

Just look at Cummings stand out in the lower league where is he now?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Both could be influential in the game next week. Who got the better deal, us or Utd.

Shankland has the goals tally but at a lower level, whilst Doidge has come through a slow start to get vital goals and show some great hold up play. Will be interesting to compare them.
    They are both of equal ability and both are better than Messi. In fact it's a travesty they weren't jointly awarded the Ballon d'or.......

Testimonial Due
    Sunday will give us a good opportunity to judge.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Only one of them will be sold in the summer for a big profit and it won’t be Doidge. Not going for Shankland was an embarrassing error from our recruitment team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shankland is on £5k a week. Would you have had us pay that?

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Shankland also fills his supermarket trolley with merlot.
    #bantz
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Not sure where folk think this big money offer is coming from for Shankland tbh!! Nobody would take a chance on him in the summer when he was available for free so why would anyone pay a large fee now and presumably also up his wages. It's not as if he is scoring goal at a higher level this season, plus he's arguably at a far better club at United compared to Ayr!!
    Last edited by dalkeith stu; 12-01-2020 at 02:16 AM.

I really like Doidge and he works very hard, makes it hard for defenders and is good at holding it up, however I have no confidence in his shooting.

I have no faith in him scoring a one on one, shot from a decent position or really attacking a header from a cross. I think of yet to see him hit a shot cleanly that looks like it will go it or does go in.

He’s had a couple of not bad finishes, dinked the keeper twice and header v St Johnstone. I don’t mind if he scores from 2 yards, but I just don’t get the feeling he will get in the positions often enough.

I was having this discussion with an Aberdeen supporting mate recently and he said they were they same about Cosgrove which is true, the difference is Cosgrove was 20 or so when he first joined.

I don’t know what it is but I just wouldn’t bank on him or even Kamberi for that matter being the main striker for us to score a lot of goals. Kamberi goes through phases and only seems to score good goals every now and again.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 12-01-2020 at 04:36 AM.

Shankland has been a better signing for Dundee Utd than Doidge has been for us but until Shankland plays in the Premiership it's not really possible to make a direct comparison between the two, if that answers the question.

@hibs.net private member
    As the question is who is the better signing rather than who is the better player, I'd say so far it's Shankland as his goals will propel United back into the Premier League and I think it was vital that they got promoted this season. We will get a better idea of who is the better player when Shankland is playing at the top level, even though they are clearly different types of striker. It amazes me how many people are convinced that this guy is a world beater despite never playing in the top division. There is a huge gulf in fitness and physical strength levels between the Premier and the Championship.

Can't say whose the better signing but I'd rather have shankland in the team given the choice. We'll see next week how he does against a premiership defence, it's a stick on he's going to score

I can't believe this is even a question...Shankland all day long!

If Doidge scores a brace next week and Shankland doesn't score against a top league team would be interesting to ask the question again

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Hibee View Post
    I like shankland and have mentioned him on here before but what makes you think he is a better signing all day long, he hasnt scored at a level higher than the one he is at just now, doidge had a move worth a million quid lined up before Bolton's finances went to pot at the same time as no one up here would touch shankland and he then went to ayr and then dundee utd. If and when shankland scores at a higher level then it's a fair comparison but at the moment it has to be doidge surely as he has scored at premier league level

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Hibee View Post
    Indeed. There's a reason other clubs are sniffing around Shankland but are not interested in Doidge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51082265

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    Watched shankland a few times when hibs played who ever he was playing with in the championship never once impressed me, never done it at a higher level bit like Cummings
    Guys a Scottish international player with a goal to his name.

Left by mutual consent!
    Why is nobody raving about the guy at Dunfermline that has 21 goals in 28 matches? Is it because it is an easier league, where even Jason Cummings couldn't fail to get goals?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Why is nobody raving about the guy at Dunfermline that has 21 goals in 28 matches? Is it because it is an easier league, where even Jason Cummings couldn't fail to get goals?
    Is this the guy Nesbitt that folk have already been talking about on another thread

Testimonial Due
    Some players are just great at Championship level, but they don't want to test themselves at Premiership level.
    Over the years players have scored goals at Championship level, but when the team is promoted they leave and go to another Championship club.
    Other players try and make the jump, and are usually found out quickly with the lack of pace.
    Its been said for years, that you need a different team to play and win in the Championship, than a team in the Premiership.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I really like Doidge and he works very hard, makes it hard for defenders and is good at holding it up, however I have no confidence in his shooting.

I have no faith in him scoring a one on one, shot from a decent position or really attacking a header from a cross. I think of yet to see him hit a shot cleanly that looks like it will go it or does go in.

He’s had a couple of not bad finishes, dinked the keeper twice and header v St Johnstone. I don’t mind if he scores from 2 yards, but I just don’t get the feeling he will get in the positions often enough.

I was having this discussion with an Aberdeen supporting mate recently and he said they were they same about Cosgrove which is true, the difference is Cosgrove was 20 or so when he first joined.

I don’t know what it is but I just wouldn’t bank on him or even Kamberi for that matter being the main striker for us to score a lot of goals. Kamberi goes through phases and only seems to score good goals every now and again.
    This is where I am at with Doidge too but i would also add that i think his hold up play is very poor. That last match at Livi was embarrassing. He won most of his headers but he has no clue where he is likely to divert them with about 50% of them landing back at the feet of Daz or Hanlon who had played the initial pass! He is so reluctant to shield or chest it and take a foul, just wants to knock on and be rid of it.

I've no problem with the scruffy goals by the way, they all count in the end but I've yet to see any finesse or technical ability in him that even suggests he will improve.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Is this the guy Nesbitt that folk have already been talking about on another thread
    Might well be, I thought he was worth a mention, glad to hear others got there first.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    This is where I am at with Doidge too but i would also add that i think his hold up play is very poor. That last match at Livi was embarrassing. He won most of his headers but he has no clue where he is likely to divert them with about 50% of them landing back at the feet of Daz or Hanlon who had played the initial pass! He is so reluctant to shield or chest it and take a foul, just wants to knock on and be rid of it.

I've no problem with the scruffy goals by the way, they all count in the end but I've yet to see any finesse or technical ability in him that even suggests he will improve.
    Oh I don’t have any issues with scruffy goals, it’s just that his seem that lucky I can’t see us being able to rely on them. Of the goals he’s scored only 2 or 3 could be classed as good finishes or having the instinct to be there for a tap in.

A lot seem to bounce off him, a defender or something and end up in. He went through that spell but I’m yet to see anything to say he will score regularly.

I thought he would have really kicked on with the streak he was on but never seemed to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by K Kay View Post
    Guys a Scottish international player with a goal to his name.
    Aye, but that doesn't make him a bad player.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Oh I don’t have any issues with scruffy goals, it’s just that his seem that lucky I can’t see us being able to rely on them. Of the goals he’s scored only 2 or 3 could be classed as good finishes or having the instinct to be there for a tap in.

A lot seem to bounce off him, a defender or something and end up in. He went through that spell but I’m yet to see anything to say he will score regularly.

I thought he would have really kicked on with the streak he was on but never seemed to happen.
    I’ve liked his headers. We’ve not had many people in recent years who have been able to get good power and direction on headers from crosses.

A few of his finishes with his feet have been a bit messy, but they all count.

Really thought Shankland was heading to a top SPFL club. Perhaps all our recruitment is not the best and a part of the reason we’re all a million miles behind the ugly sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post

The service and support from midfield was diabolical at Livi. Whilst it’s never really right to judge a player on one game, that game was a particularly harsh one to criticise Doidge for.