hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Irrational Fears

If I'm ever anywhere really high up, I get this weird thing in my head where I think, imagine jumping off? To the point where I get quite anxious

Also, I think a lot about being on an ice rink, falling over and someone slicing off a finger with their blades which is weird because I never go Ice Skating

What's yours?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I've got too many to list here. Your jumping thoughts are "high place phenomenon" and very common. My worst one is Cleithrophobia, a fear of being trapped.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hibby; 14-09-2020 at 03:42 AM.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I'm ever anywhere really high up, I get this weird thing in my head where I think, imagine jumping off? To the point where I get quite anxious

Also, I think a lot about being on an ice rink, falling over and someone slicing off a finger with their blades which is weird because I never go Ice Skating

What's yours?
    I wouldn't call it a fear as it doesn't make me anxious, but I think about the ice skating scenario a lot too. It started for me when I was told a story about it happening - I was prob 8 or 9 at the time.

Apparently it's to do with control and your brain returning to scenarios it has never "solved".

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    I don't think it's irrational but the thought of being in open water where you can't see below you etc gives me the fear.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Getting trapped in a lift shaft and crushed under the lift when it came down. I think it stems form working in a warehouse yers ago and the shutter door on the service lift was faulty and didn't lock when the lift wasn't in position and guys used to stand in the shaft for 'a laugh'.

Also getting hit on the head by falling masonry. There are a few relatively well known stories off that happening in Edinburgh so that's probably where that came from.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Getting hit on the head by an object falling from above, had a couple of bad hits over the last twenty odd years, one could have easily killed me. Always wary of anything above me or working where things are stacked high.

And spiders of any size!
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 14-09-2020 at 12:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Traffic and being hit by vehicles. I worked on a farm for years that had a lot of tight corners and not a lot of people that drive at sensible speeds/used horns etc and I've seen so many near misses. Once a guy came firing through a doorway and had to break so hard that the seed bags he was carrying slid off the end, with the forklift very nearly following them. So 2 people could have been killed or seriously hurt by either being hit by a truck or being crushed by a ton of grain., all of which would have been prevented by slowing down and sounding off before he came through the door. Fortunately nobody was hurt.

The same farm had an older guy who'd worked there for years and had a frightening disregard for H&S. Never wore a mask when required, worked at height with no harness, left tools scattered all over the place. There was a belt at the apex of a shed which was about 30 feet from the floor that, instead of using a forklift with a man-basket, he would just climb along the belt to clean it.

Velvet.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Ever since watching the Shawshank Redemption I have this fear of getting stuck in a pipe, or potholing getting stuck somewhere nobody would ever dream of looking for you.

I have a strong fear of being in a space where i dont have range of movement, like when you see someone in a movie crawling along an airduct, that freaks me out, even watching someone doing it (Die Hard comes to mind for example) i can feel my chest tightening

I also struggle with heights, mainly when its open air. I can deal with flying by ignoring the obvious, and been up Sears (Willis) Tower and loved it, but I couldn't walk over the forth road bridge, I even froze trying to push myself through it by walking out onto a 6 foot dive board, I had to walk backwards until I got to the ladder again :(

On a slightly less serious note, after a childhood nightmare I can't sleep comfortably without having the duvet tucked under my feet
    Last edited by McD; 14-09-2020 at 09:51 AM.

The fear of anything going near my eyes and losing my sight, completely freaks me out

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I have this weird thing, no idea what it's called or if there's a name for it, where I kind of freak out if something is stuck to me and I can't easily shake it off. Not animals or food or anything organic like that, but say for example, the plastic wrapping on boxes of teabags and stuff like that. If I'm opening it, and the static (I assume it's static) makes it stick to my hand, then I try to shake it off my hand, but it won't drop off, or if I wipe it away with the other hand, and it sticks to that hand.

There's nothing scary about it, I know it can't hurt me...but my heart starts absolutely racing!

Snakes.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Just about all of you would benefit from hypnotherapy 😀

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Snakes.
    Snap

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut Shaz View Post
    Snap
    Never found that be a particularly scary game but can get loud I suppose😁

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Never found that be a particularly scary game but can get loud I suppose😁

@hibs.net private member
    Does late opposition corners vs us count - or is that well into the “rationale” category ?

I have fears but none that I would call irrational.

However an ex-girlfriend of mine was terrified of pigeons. Other birds, seagulls for example, didn't bother her but pigeons would send her into a blind panic.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 14-09-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I still dream that I'll fail an army annual fitness test, normally wake up in a panic and normally it coincides with a night on the lash. Never had any problems with them but I'd probably struggle now after being out for so many years.

@hibs.net private member
    Oh where do I start?

Clowns,Balloons,Pigeons, flying, confined spaces, especially dark ones. I have the height thing too where I think I'm gonna jump and the ice skating one with my fingers being sliced off and wooden lolly sticks make me ill for fear of splinters

I think I have a fear of getting a fright

I love spiders and snakes though. Weirdo
    Last edited by Jay; 14-09-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Does playing hertz in the latter stages of the Scottish Cup count?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I regularly have the mildest of nightmares where I’m getting chased but it’s like I’m running through quick sand, even if I’m on concrete. In real life I’m actually very fast which I think makes it worse for me

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I hate sticky things, bridges (convinced they’ll collapse) and things where there’s a danger of falling off/falling in (cliffs/rivers).
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Driving on fast roads in the dark. I had a very near miss almost 2 years ago where I hit something that had obviously fallen off a lorry or something while drinking at 70mph on the M90. Since then I struggle to drive at night unless it’s on well lit roads. I can do it but I’m seriously stressed the whole time and I try to avoid it where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    Driving on fast roads in the dark. I had a very near miss almost 2 years ago where I hit something that had obviously fallen off a lorry or something while drinking at 70mph on the M90. Since then I struggle to drive at night unless it’s on well lit roads. I can do it but I’m seriously stressed the whole time and I try to avoid it where possible.
    What do you expect?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Drinking and driving is never a good combination.

I'm intrigued by what some have said about being somewhere high and asking themselves 'what if I jumped?'.

My height thing is slightly different, i can't stop imagining falling off, and can become quite possessed by the thought, sometimes to the point of freezing. This is even the case when it's quite patently obvious I couldn't just 'fall off', for example if I'm 10 feet from the edge, or like the open air bit above the museum on Chambers Street, where there is a 4-5 foot high, 6 foot across plant pot thing between me and the edge.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Brilliant typo! At least, I hope its a typo...

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Brilliant typo! At least, I hope its a typo...
    Ha ha, yes it was a typo.