hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sinner wins in four sets on his 6th match point.

I'm sure Alcaraz will be back again soon but Sinner was just too good today. His forehand is an absolutely brilliant shot.
    My main take from the match was that both players look equipped to make a serious mark in the game unlike the phoney generation who have enabled the old guard to remain almost unchallenged at the top for far longer than they really should have.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Van Rijthoven wins the second set 6-4.

Game on!

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Jimmy View Post
    There's a tantrum and a rant, we've seen plenty and there's being a bully and trying to be aggressive to people. I think kyigos crosses the line repeatedly. He's offensive.

I never saw mcenroe play but I don't think he ever became abusive on a personal level? maybe so in which case it was out of order.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    I used to like McEnroe because he could beat Borg, who was becoming a bit monotonous! His outbursts were a bore because they held up the match mainly and also served to disrupt his opponent which wasn't fair.

Kyrgios, on the other hand, comes across as snide sort of type and genuinely nasty.

it's all impressions. We don't really know. He's probably a great guy at home!

Djokovic breaks to lead 2-0 third set in a game when Van Rijthoven apparently had two shots called out which were apparently in but he chose not to challenge either of them.

Djokovic running away with the third set - 4-0.

Edit - 5-0.

Djokovic wins the third set 6-1.

They have 59 minutes left to try and complete the match tonight.

It sounds obvious but Van Rijthoven needs to try and stay in this fourth set as long as possible and obviously try to nick it so that they need to come back tomorrow.

BBC just confirmed that Kyrgios was fined $4,000 for his audible obscenity in last night's match.

Tsitsipas was fined $10,000 for hitting the ball into the crowd.

Djokovic breaks in the first game of the fourth set.

I think they will finish this one tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I used to like McEnroe because he could beat Borg, who was becoming a bit monotonous! His outbursts were a bore because they held up the match mainly and also served to disrupt his opponent which wasn't fair.

Kyrgios, on the other hand, comes across as snide sort of type and genuinely nasty.

it's all impressions. We don't really know. He's probably a great guy at home!
    I prefer Kyrgios’ trolling and sledging, which can be at least amusing sometimes, if cheating, (like you I loved McEnroes antics in the day) , to Haleps ridiculous 3 or 4 second scream which is clearly intended to distract her opponent. So, so annoying and the referees need to intervene at some point. Both cheats play early tomorrow.

Djokovic wins in 4 sets and plays Jannik Sinner in the quarter finals on Tuesday.

Should be a cracker.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Djokovic wins in 4 sets and plays Jannik Sinner in the quarter finals on Tuesday.

Should be a cracker.
    Yes that will be a great game. Sinner looks an excellent talent.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    That forehand cross-court is a killer. Reminiscent of Andy in his prime. He's quite a slightly built chap too.

Castle tortuous commentary in Kyrgios game. Over and over about Kyrgios incidents and not on the game.

Looks like I missed a cracking day's play.

Kyrgios beat Nakashima in five sets and Cristian Garin pulled off a bit of a shock with a five set win v Alex De Minaur.

Kyrgios will play Garin in the quarter finals.

Taylor Fritz had a more straightforward victory in straight sets v Jason Kubler and he now plays the winner of Rafael Nadal v Botic Van De Zandschulp who play later tonight.

Rafael Nadal is through to the quarter finals to play Taylor Fritz on Wednesday after a straight sets win v Botic Van De Zandschulp.

I got 6 out of the 8 quarter finalists correct but Garin surprised me against De Minaur and I thought Alcaraz would beat Sinner.

The quarter final line up is;

Djokovic v Sinner
    Goffin v Norrie
    Garin v Kyrgios
    Fritz v Nadal

I think the semi finals will be;

Djokovic v Norrie
    Kyrgios v Nadal

I think Djokovic v Sinner will be the pick of the bunch and as an outside bet don't be surprised if Fritz takes out Nadal.

Tomorrow Djokovic v Sinner is first up on Centre Court at 1:30pm and Goffin v Norrie is second on Court One so they should start about 3pm.

Once again I'll miss most of tomorrow's play which is a bit rubbish but here's to a good day of tennis.

Hopefully he'll send Novax packing.

Rafael Nadal is through to the quarter finals to play Taylor Fritz on Wednesday after a straight sets win v Botic Van De Zandschulp.

I got 6 out of the 8 quarter finalists correct but Garin surprised me against De Minaur and I thought Alcaraz would beat Sinner.

Djokovic v Sinner
    Goffin v Norrie
    Garin v Kyrgios
    Fritz v Nadal

Djokovic v Norrie
    Kyrgios v Nadal

I think Djokovic v Sinner will be the pick of the bunch and as an outside bet don't be surprised if Fritz takes out Nadal.

Tomorrow Djokovic v Sinner is first up on Centre Court at 1:30pm and Goffin v Norrie is second on Court One so they should start about 3pm.

Once again I'll miss most of tomorrow's play which is a bit rubbish but here's to a good day of tennis.
    Nadal looked good earlier. Amazing if he could win three straight slams, but you're right Fritz will be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Hopefully he'll send Novax packing.
    Nochance!

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Nadal looked good earlier. Amazing if he could win three straight slams, but you're right Fritz will be tricky.
    I'd love to see Nadal do the calendar year Grand Slam. Very tough ask but it would be an outstanding achievement.

Fritz will be a very difficult opponent though, he's a very good grass court player.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Nochance!
    Not so sure

Djokovic v Sinner
    Goffin v Norrie
    Garin v Kyrgios
    Fritz v Nadal

Djokovic v Norrie
    Kyrgios v Nadal

Have a hunch that today could be the end of a great tournament for Norrie. Likely to be a close one though and could go either way.

Castle tortuous commentary in Kyrgios game. Over and over about Kyrgios incidents and not on the game.
    He’s a pain in the arse. Also thought Sue Barker (who I like) seemed awfy keen on wanting Kyrgios fined for wearing a red hat to walk off 😂.. but castle is on a different scale. Biased and annoying in most of his commentary.

Slightly less rational and one I can’t explain too well but Johanna Konta does my nut in too 😁

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Have a hunch that today could be the end of a great tournament for Norrie. Likely to be a close one though and could go either way.

I thought that Norrie might struggle v Tommy Paul in the last round but he beat him easily

I think he will win today without too much trouble.

Hopefully get home in time to watch it !

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    How the hell is Norrie not on centre court?

Anyway set 1 to Sinner!

Sinner double break in set 2!

Rafa will be getting his hopes up.

3rd set Djokovic and a break up in the 4th. Boo!

1 set each in Norrie's match.

Absolutely gutted I missed the Djokovic match, sounded like a classic.

Sinner sounds like he just ran out of steam but is a future Grand Slam winner for me.

Home now for Norrie - Goffin, seems like it's nicely poised!

Norrie in some trouble, Goffin two sets to one up.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Absolutely gutted I missed the Djokovic match, sounded like a classic.

Sinner sounds like he just ran out of steam but is a future Grand Slam winner for me.

Home now for Norrie - Goffin, seems like it's nicely poised!

No really , Novak was absolute garbage for 2 sets before he started playing , I actually thought he was ill as he was accepting getting beat at one stage , Not the normal smashing his rackets or moaning to his box or screaming at himself , He really did play brutal for 2 sets , Deserved winner in the end

Not everyones cuppa T but i like him and hope he wins the whole shebang , It's Nadal and picking his erse at every serve that does my heid in

Mon Nole !