hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Current Form - Mentality

I’m concerned about how recent events have affected the players’ mentality.

A couple of short weeks ago, we were 1-0 up at Ibrox and looking good to go top of the league until a debatable decision cost us dear.

We’ve been garbage since then and I’m concerned that we could let this will turn out to be a big turning point in the season.

EG season we got relegated 1997/1998, we lost 4-3 at home to Rangers from being 3-1 up. Ripped the ar5e out of our confidence and we didn’t recover.

Can also remember in the first division winning 1998/1999 season, when we were under pressure from Ayr United. We were 2-0 down away to Ayr after 10 minutes, and 3-1 down with 10 to go. We scored 2 in the last minute to draw 3-3 and they dropped away after that.

I’m not sure if there’s a lack of confidence or leadership.
    It just seems to me that the momentum is going in the wrong way and we’re not sure how to change it.

Whenever we lose a goal, the heads go down, the body language is awful and we don’t seem to have anyone to lift the team’s spirits.

Any thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

A couple of short weeks ago, we were 1-0 up at Ibrox and looking good to go top of the league until a debatable decision cost us dear.

We’ve been garbage since then and I’m concerned that we could let this will turn out to be a big turning point in the season.

EG season we got relegated 1997/1998, we lost 4-3 at home to Rangers from being 3-1 up. Ripped the ar5e out of our confidence and we didn’t recover.

Can also remember in the first division winning 1998/1999 season, when we were under pressure from Ayr United. We were 2-0 down away to Ayr after 10 minutes, and 3-1 down with 10 to go. We scored 2 in the last minute to draw 3-3 and they dropped away after that.

It just seems to me that the momentum is going in the wrong way and we’re not sure how to change it.

Whenever we lose a goal, the heads go down, the body language is awful and we don’t seem to have anyone to lift the team’s spirits.

Any thoughts?
    Yes totally agree and have already raised this point on another thread. The debacle of the recent events at Ibrox has badly affected the side.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I think its more to do with missing our most physically competitive players in the spine of our team. Newell is a very assured player, but slow and struggles to get second balls etc.

Testimonial Due The Captain....'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    Yes totally agree and have already raised this point on another thread. The debacle of the recent events at Ibrox has badly affected the side.
    I agree, I think it has too.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Any thoughts?
    Porteous and Magennis, nothing more complicated than losing our better players

Once they and Doidge return all will be well.
    Until then we will continue to struggle.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 23-10-2021 at 06:26 PM.

We don’t recover from going a goal down

I think the players know this too, that’s the real worry

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post

We’ve done it a good few times this season IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Motherwell first game Definatley

Ross county at home?

Ross just doesn’t win big games, becoming more apparent each week.

Motherwell first game Definatley

Ross county at home?

Ross just doesn’t win big games, becoming more apparent each week.
    I had it in my mind it was more than that but looks like coming from behind to win was just Motherwell. Came from behind to draw with St Mirren.

I defended JR loads last season but these last two performances and results are indefensible. Absolutely dreadful.

Our record this season after going behind is;

W - 2
    D - 3
    L - 4

I had it in my mind it was more than that but looks like coming from behind to win was just Motherwell.

I defended JR loads last season but these last two performances and results are indefensible. Absolutely dreadful.
    Motherwell and Santa Coloma are our only come from behind wins so far this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

W - 2
    D - 3
    L - 4
    I’m actually surprised we’ve went behind so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Hatrick View Post
    I’m actually surprised we’ve went behind so many times.
    Yes we've played 16 matches so far in all competitions and gone behind in 9 of them.

St Mirren, Dundee and Rijeka have been draws and Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Rangers and Rijeka have been defeats.

Yes we've played 16 matches so far in all competitions and gone behind in 9 of them.

St Mirren, Dundee and Rijeka have been draws and Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Rangers and Rijeka have been defeats.
    I actually didn’t realise it was that high

Just brutal it really is grim reading the more you do the research

That’s a poor record.

W - 2
    D - 3
    L - 4
    So we actually manage to get atleast a point after going behind more often than we go on to lose.

The stats clearly show otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    So we actually manage to get atleast a point after going behind more often than we go on to lose.
    Yes although 3 of those matches were European qualifiers, 1 of which against the Andorrans who weren't very good to say the least.

Our record in league matches is;

W - 1
    D - 2
    L - 3

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The stats clearly show otherwise.
    Fine if your not supporting a club that isn’t in the top five for budget I guess

First Team Regular
    Unfortunately, this team is living up to our decades acquired epithet of being "soft".

@hibs.net private member
    the team has been impacted by some key injuries as well as poor form. Murphy, Magennis and Doidge have all had lengthy periods out, and that is hurting us a lot. Match that with the likes of Doig and Nisbet, two of our top players, performing way below their standard of last season. Means we are not the team of last season. Add to that the fact we have such a limited squad, we don’t have the options to change it. Ross isn’t a magician, and will know he is struggling with what he has..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar

Any thoughts?
    Does our captain look the sort to drag the team out the ****? Nah neither do I.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    Does our captain look the sort to drag the team out the ****? Nah neither do I.
    Good point. To be a captain, you need certain leadership qualities. You need to lead by example, require to motivate those around you, display aggression, the right kind, when it is needed. Have the respect from your peers etc

I just don’t see this with Paul Hanlon, never have done to be honest.

We had our biggest leader on the park today according to some fans. Maybe just maybe this leader stuff is outdated nonsense as pretty much anyone that’s played football know. If you need someone shouting at you to play to your best then the game is up.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar

The same applied when we lost the cup final we went a goal down and everyone knew we wouldnt come back thats a massive concern we lack a never say die attitude just now. We played the worst team in the league today and offered nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Good point. To be a captain, you need certain leadership qualities. You need to lead by example, require to motivate those around you, display aggression, the right kind, when it is needed. Have the respect from your peers etc

Should have 11 captains on the pitch pulling together unfortunately we are soft as ***** in all positions

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    We had our biggest leader on the park today according to some fans. Maybe just maybe this leader stuff is outdated nonsense as pretty much anyone that’s played football know. If you need someone shouting at you to play to your best then the game is up.
    My issue with Hanlon over the past couple of games is nothing to do with the predictable leadership nonsense that comes up every time we lose, but more to with the fact that he’s played as badly as anyone.

It’s not like him, but he has been poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    Should have 11 captains on the pitch pulling together unfortunately we are soft as ***** in all positions
    The players aren’t hungry. Part of that is down to them, another part is down to the management.

JR doesn’t strike me as the sort who can imprint a winning mentality and hunger and desire onto the team

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post

Never a captain, never has been.

I think most people could overlook that fact, it's pretty obvious to most, as he was generally playing pretty well. The issue now is he is not playing well so his lack of leadership will also be magnified.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    My issue with Hanlon over the past couple of games is nothing to do with the predictable leadership nonsense that comes up every time we lose, but more to with the fact that he’s played as badly as anyone.

It’s not like him, but he has been poor.
    I’d love to see some predicable leadership nonsense from any of our players right now.

For weeks the heads have been down, there’s no fight or spirit and we’ve just been going through the motions.

You need to earn the right to win a game. We don’t. And we won’t until they stop hiding away like little fairies.

Hanlon should be setting the example and getting some aggression out of his team mates.