hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The First Time

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm sure colin stein scored against us at ER on either his first game for sevco which happened to be at ER,or his first game back at ER, i just couldn't understand why he would do that to us
    Colin Stein scored a hatrick at Ibroke on his debut versus Arbroath he followed it up by scoring a hatrick versus HIBS in a 6-1 win In Glasgow the following week

In the January he scored the only goal at Ibroke to knock us out of the Scottish Cup

Like many hibeees I was heartbroken when he left but his memory soon became a distant memory as Joe McBride started to rattle in the goals.

2. Log in to remove the advert

1st feb 1986, we beat motherwell 4 0 at Easter Rd, cowan got two. Crowd was only 4000!

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Colin Stein scored a hatrick at Ibroke on his debut versus Arbroath he followed it up by scoring a hatrick versus HIBS in a 6-1 win In Glasgow the following week

In the January he scored the only goal at Ibroke to knock us out of the Scottish Cup

Like many hibeees I was heartbroken when he left but his memory soon became a distant memory as Joe McBride started to rattle in the goals.

jeezo, some things never change huh,deja vu and all that

Oh great, now Ahm blubbing away on the train to work!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    jeezo, some things never change huh,deja vu and all that
    Colin Stein was the first person to break my heart🤣

That's a brilliant OP story. Love the effort Hibs seem to go to for the kids (and that's a really shrewd move too...) and what a lovely touch by the guy who handed over his programme. Top marks all round!

I was never fussed on football but a Hibs supporting mate at Moray House took me for my 18th birthday to see Hibs at ER in January '93. We lost 3-4 to a Rangers side which had McCoist and Hately up front. I was hooked. I learned a lot of things that day - not politely clapping a Rangers goal being one of them! I had a season ticket for the next two years and attended regularly until 99. I'm more of a follower than a supporter now.

Neil, if you're on here - thanks for the birthday present, it really did give me something I'm still very pleased to have experienced!

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    Love the post too. Checked Hibs Stats and mine was 45 years ago yesterday! 2-1 against Ayr. Late Pat Stanton winner. Alex Cropley's last game for Hibs.

Oh and that comment about your old man? I could have written that word for word about mine!
    I’d expect “Lester B” to have a far more prosaic delivery than mine!
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 02-12-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadtom View Post
    Wow. This was also my first ever game.
    Was taken in for the last 20/30 by my mum. I was too young (a few weeks after my 5th birthday) to remember much. All I knew was what my mum told me through the years, we were 2-0 down when I went in and saw us fight back for the draw.
    A few year ago I decided to try and look the game up on line, wanted to see who was the 1st scorer I witnessed in the flesh. I think you may have it the other way round, but not certain. I think Sloop scored a pen, then someone else (cannae mind who) got the equaliser.
    What followed in my 'investigation' rocked me a bit. I found a Pink news report of the game (cant find it now). In the bottom of the page was the 'goal flash' bit they used to have in the Pink. It noted a late equaliser for der hun in the old squirm game...scored by Colin Stein! I immediately looked up at the date on the Pink...2/1/1971.
    My old dear never mentioned the fact that the 1st professional match I attended was the same day 66 people attended their last. A very sobering though.
    I would not have known that about Ibrox being that day although I remember the headlines.
    Have to keep it as a Blackley equaliser though as my auld brain hates change!

PS iHibs has it down as a Kenny Davidson goal with a Sloop penalty. I see Bobby Duncan also came on as a sub so it might’ve been his comeback spell which would also have delighted the auld fellah!
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 02-12-2019 at 11:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Hun cousin took me to Easter Road in April 68 where Dundee beat us 3 1

First Team Regular Billy McKirdy's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: N?A Wii Code: N?A
    What a great thread 🙂 the first game my dad took me to was a reserve fixture against Aberdeen probably about 1974, I don’t remember nothing of the game but I do remember my dad telling me Pat Stanton was playing and all the shouting and swearing going on.
    I didn’t go to another game with him until a few years later when we went to a home match against St Miirren in the premier league, I was getting into football by then, it was before segregation happened and a foul mouthed rant by some buddies standing near us as we won narrowly stuck in my mind.
    Ii with my old man on and off for the next few years up to Bests debut, the last game I went with him, we of course were relegated that season and my old man died suddenly a month after the season ended , a miserable time on and off the pitch for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Can’t remember my first game other than it was on the old terracing and it was absolutely freezing.
    Me too, I'm always amazed how many people seem to know all the details re their first games.

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    ... Love the effort Hibs seem to go to for the kids (and that's a really shrewd move too...)....

Strangely enough, some people are in favour ditching the notion of a Kids/Family zone, with the argument the kids shouldn't be mollycoddled... or whatever.

The experience of the OP shows that a lot of thought has gone into this and it seems to be very much appreciated. It is also very good long term planning, giving kids such a positive experience of ER from a young age.

If the Family Section/Kids Zone was ever to moved (as has been suggested on here), it would require a lot of thought, and probably money, to ensure they had the same experience as they currently enjoy.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Me too, I'm always amazed how many people seem to know all the details re their first games.
    I can remember fairly well as i was relatively old. I was 12 and my dad wouldn't take me sooner as my big brother had previously had his collar bone broken in a crush on Bothwell bridge after a match against Celtis.

August 1979, the Skol festival Tournament - Hibs, Hearts, Man City & Coventry.

Hibs beat Hearts in the first match which was immediately followed by Man City vs Coventry. 2 matches one after the other is pretty long TBH and I think we left at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I would not have known that about Ibrox being that day although I remember the headlines.
    Have to keep it as a Blackley equaliser though as my auld brain hates change!

PS iHibs has it down as a Kenny Davidson goal with a Sloop penalty. I see Bobby Duncan also came on as a sub so it might’ve been his comeback spell which would also have delighted the auld fellah!
    👍

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    My cousins took me to games when I first started going and they lived in Bruntsfield. We got the LRT bus down, think it was the 1, and the real treat was getting a seat upstairs at the front. I have a sketchy memory that Morton may have been my first game, I remember blue and white hoops at some early stage.

But most of all I remember how bloody cold it was on the terracing.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    I’d expect “Lester B” to have a far more prosaic delivery than mine!
    Oh aye. Would you now 'Iggy'?

I can get more prosaic than that and you can get less so. I've seen your FB posts 'Iggy'

Btw You can lose hours on that Hibs Stats site. I know, I have done!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I'm a relative latecomer to the Hibs party. Growing up In Blackpool, Hibs was my Scottish team (as oppose to Celtic or Rangers like everyone else seemed to choose), the team North of the border I always looked for the result of, kept a scrap book with cuttings from Shoot magazine and the like, had the Subbuteo team etc.

I moved South to seek fame and fortune, to Reading in fact where I worked with a guy who was an ardent Hibs fan and on learning my Green persuasion instisted I went up for a game with him. That game was Hibs 5 Dundee 2 in October 1999. I think it was the first season after promotion and was the first home win of the season. I remember Latipy scored a couple after Dundee had gone one up early doors. Lehmann scored in the last minute but cant remember who scored the other two. I think a very young Kenny Miller might have been playing.

From that first game I attended more sporadically until about 8 seasons ago having moved back to Lancashire a year or so earlier I started to attend on a more regular basis and had a season ticket for a couple of seasons. The last couple of seasons Ive managed 7/8 games a season. Im up this saturday, my third of the season and looking forward to it greatly.

GGTTH

I remember when I started going with my friends rather than my dad - we used to get the number 1 bus from Davidsonsmains - I think it went along Easter Road - I’m pretty sure we didn’t need to get 2 busses. And then I think the number 1 became the number 6 for some reason.

Exciting times - to see McLeod, McNamara and Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    I'm a relative latecomer to the Hibs party. Growing up In Blackpool, Hibs was my Scottish team (as oppose to Celtic or Rangers like everyone else seemed to choose), the team North of the border I always looked for the result of, kept a scrap book with cuttings from Shoot magazine and the like, had the Subbuteo team etc.

I moved South to seek fame and fortune, to Reading in fact where I worked with a guy who was an ardent Hibs fan and on learning my Green persuasion instisted I went up for a game with him. That game was Hibs 5 Dundee 2 in October 1999. I think it was the first season after promotion and was the first home win of the season. I remember Latipy scored a couple after Dundee had gone one up early doors. Lehmann scored in the last minute but cant remember who scored the other two. I think a very young Kenny Miller might have been playing.

From that first game I attended more sporadically until about 8 seasons ago having moved back to Lancashire a year or so earlier I started to attend on a more regular basis and had a season ticket for a couple of seasons. The last couple of seasons Ive managed 7/8 games a season. Im up this saturday, my third of the season and looking forward to it greatly.

GGTTH
    http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8794

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    Late December 1972 Hibs 3 Aberdeen 2. The home match before the 7 nil derby. Alan Gordon scored Hibs' third goal with a diving header which turned out to be the winner. I remember being in awe at the size of the terracing and the crowd which was nearly 22,000 with most in the open. I was lucky enough to be in the stand. Went to a Xmas panto. in the evening... hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    Oh aye. Would you now 'Iggy'?

I can get more prosaic than that and you can get less so. I've seen your FB posts 'Iggy'

Btw You can lose hours on that Hibs Stats site. I know, I have done!
    That Iggy Pope isnae me my man! Im thinking more Lester B and Carboretor Dung...hope I’ve not got the wrong tribute to the wrong Lester B ....
    (loved your post nonetheless Lester).

My old boy reminded me from time to time like....

Quote Originally Posted by Inconsequential View Post
    Late December 1972 Hibs 3 Aberdeen 2. The home match before the 7 nil derby. Alan Gordon scored Hibs' third goal with a diving header which turned out to be the winner. I remember being in awe at the size of the terracing and the crowd which was nearly 22,000 with most in the open. I was lucky enough to be in the stand. Went to a Xmas panto. in the evening... hated it.
    Love that!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire HFC View Post
    I remember when I started going with my friends rather than my dad - we used to get the number 1 bus from Davidsonsmains - I think it went along Easter Road - I’m pretty sure we didn’t need to get 2 busses. And then I think the number 1 became the number 6 for some reason.

Exciting times - to see McLeod, McNamara and Best!
    The 1 (later coupled with the 6) was indeed a Circle route that took in Easter Road and D Mains and lots of other places whilst you were skiving.
    I got it from the corner of St Clair St to Primary School, Secondary School and then work. I had to buy a bike to get away from the ****er.

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    That's a brilliant OP story. Love the effort Hibs seem to go to for the kids (and that's a really shrewd move too...) and what a lovely touch by the guy who handed over his programme. Top marks all round!

I was never fussed on football but a Hibs supporting mate at Moray House took me for my 18th birthday to see Hibs at ER in January '93. We lost 3-4 to a Rangers side which had McCoist and Hately up front. I was hooked. I learned a lot of things that day - not politely clapping a Rangers goal being one of them! I had a season ticket for the next two years and attended regularly until 99. I'm more of a follower than a supporter now.

Neil, if you're on here - thanks for the birthday present, it really did give me something I'm still very pleased to have experienced!
    I think you did great still going to the games at 99 what age are you now ?

First Team Breakthrough esjorto's Avatar
    1949. We were living in Blairgowrie at that time. Hibs were drawn against Forfar in the cup. M was John Cairnns)y older brother took me, an over-excited 10 year old to the game. Hibs won 4-0.My only recollection of the game was Hibs left back (think it was John Cairns) rolled his sleeves up so high none of the white was showing!

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Hibs vs Coventry. Pretty sure Strachan played for us for a bit? Can't remember whose testimonial it was.
    Gordon hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    My first Hibs game was vs Stranraer at home at the start of the 1998-99 Season (First Division) - we lost 2-1.
    Remember this all too well. Jason Young scored the winner for Stranraer.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    First game that I can remember clearly was a pre Season game, must have been 93-94, or 94-95 maybe, against Sheffield Wednesday at Easter Rd. I think we won 4-2, or 4-3. I'm sure Darren Jackson scored for Hibs (I had the Hibs top with #10 on the back), I'm sure Mark Bright scored for Sheff Wed also...

I came away absolutely enthralled at the whole experience, but somewhat dissapointed that there was no commentator when attending the games in person like there was on the Tele

My first time at Easter Road however, was after we won the Skol Cup. With all the men in the family away at the match, the women (mum, aunties etc) took me and cousins along to Easter Road to welcome the players home with the cup. My mum reminds me that I was very confused when the Hibs team appeared all dapper in their suits. I was expecting them to still be in their strips

Good times. Can't wait to take my own wee youngteam to Easter Road one day
    Hibs won 3-2, sheff wed were a premier league team.

Quote Originally Posted by esjorto View Post
    1949. We were living in Blairgowrie at that time. Hibs were drawn against Forfar in the cup. M was John Cairnns)y older brother took me, an over-excited 10 year old to the game. Hibs won 4-0.My only recollection of the game was Hibs left back (think it was John Cairns) rolled his sleeves up so high none of the white was showing!
    Top post of the thread!!!!