hibs.net Messageboard

Are we long ball merchants?

Rijeka boss Goran Tomic reckons Hibs are a long ball team.

But it’s not what his side are used to facing ahead of their Europa Conference league encounter this week.

The first leg takes place at Easter Road this Thursday before they meet again in Croatia the week after.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

But it’s not what his side are used to facing ahead of their Europa Conference league encounter this week.

The first leg takes place at Easter Road this Thursday before they meet again in Croatia the week after.
    Just lazy nonsense....you get foreign coaches saying that before every Scotland game as well. Complete pish.

We did a fair bit last season but have changed tactic a lot and try to build from the back. Magennis and Doyle-Hayes give us far better options in the middle now.

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    The Rijeka fan on here thinks we will be a physical side because we're Scottish. It's just lazy stereotypes.

Left by mutual consent!
    **** em, we're gonna deep fry their peka

Coaching Staff

I hope the coach's comments are indicative of a bit of complacency in their camp.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    And I think they will be cheating, diving cynical bar stewards. Just to add some balance to their stereotyping.

Mindgames

More if a long ball team than they will be used to. Imagine if they saw the jambos

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    More if a long ball team than they will be used to. Imagine if they saw the jambos
    Are Hearts, in living memory, the Harlem Globetrotters or the Mick McManuses of Scottish football?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Are Hearts, in living memory, the Harlem Globetrotters or the Mick McManuses of Scottish football?

Remove mick mcm and you nailed it

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Hibs haven't favoured long ball football since 2008 under Mixu. Lazy thing to say. We're a good footballing side now, who can mix it up when required.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Sounds like their analysis department is non existent, or maybe they are going to underestimate us and assume it’s a case of just turning up.

Scott Allan hasn't started the last few games so they may not have seen much of him close up, hopefully Scottie can spring a few surprises for them on Thursday

Tbh I'm happy to hear their coach come out with that because it tells me they're not really taking us seriously.

Wouldn't take much effort at all to find out we're not a long ball/physical type of side right now. Either that or some kind of attempt at mind games.

In fairness to the Rijeka fan on here he said he watched the Motherwell game and changed his mind on us from the typical Scottish stereotype

My take on a long ball team is one which has a huge CF and the main tactic is to punt the ball up to him and look for flick ons. The Yams have had plenty of huge CFs over the years...Ikpeezu, Zee***, Sow to name but a few. They seem to have changed tact this year, however the transfer window is not over yet.

We do use the long diagonal ball to Boyle a fair bit to use his pace. Suppose this can be deemed as long ball, but it is not really the percentage football that a long ball to a huge CF is. Remember Mowbray accusing Levein of percentage football many years back. Levein was not too happy with this comment, however repeated Yam purchases under Levein always included a huge CF.

Don't mind in any way the Rijeka manager sticking this long ball tag on us. Scottish teams do use this tactic more than continental sides. However, If we revert to a long hopeful ball in any game to our current CFs, it would probably mean we are struggling and lacking creativity. We do lack creativity if Allan is not in the side and the jury is still out just now on his fitness levels.

Wouldn't say we're a long ball team in the traditional sense of anti football etc.

But I'm not sure in the past 2 years we've done enough to call ourselves a good footballing side either. Probably a fair mix of both when each is required without being overly placed on one end of the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Tbh I'm happy to hear their coach come out with that because it tells me they're not really taking us seriously.

Wouldn't take much effort at all to find out we're not a long ball/physical type of side right now. Either that or some kind of attempt at mind games.

In fairness to the Rijeka fan on here he said he watched the Motherwell game and changed his mind on us from the typical Scottish stereotype
    Fan does better opposition research than their analysis team. 😂 Or like you say, an attempt at mind games.

Quote Originally Posted by the_ginger_hibee View Post
    The Rijeka fan on here thinks we will be a physical side because we're Scottish. It's just lazy stereotypes.
    As was pointed out on the other thread they may have gotten that idea from playing McIness’ Aberdeen twice in the last 5 years.

Hopefully they expect us to play like that because they’ll be in for a shock on Thursday

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    We’re not as attractive on the eye as I’d like, but we’re definitely not a long ball team

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Couldn't care less about what he says. If we can put goals past them and they are all like St Mirren's opener against Dundee on Saturday then who cares.

Hoooooof

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    😂😂😂

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Hibs haven't favoured long ball football since 2008 under Mixu. Lazy thing to say. We're a good footballing side now, who can mix it up when required.
    Not quite. Calderwood and Fenlon were pretty fond of it too, and Butcher would have turned us into a team of hackers if he'd been given the chance.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar

I don't know but their pitch was Giant Haystacks two or three years ago.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Sounds like their analysis department is non existent, or maybe they are going to underestimate us and assume it’s a case of just turning up.
    Or it’s the age old continental double bluff?

Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    I don't know but their pitch was Giant Haystacks two or three years ago.
    If you spend a million of the givers donations on a pitch then have an owners vanity project concert on it, this is what they get for their money

Sir Matt Busby

If you spend a million of the givers donations on a pitch then have an owners vanity project concert on it, this is what they get for their money

Was the concert not a favour to James Anderson? The amount he's put into them has paid for the pitch several times over.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Was the concert not a favour to James Anderson? The amount he's put into them has paid for the pitch several times over.
    Very likely it was. If they never wasted that million the near mythical fan ownership might have been just a bit closer.

Sir Matt Busby