hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Martin Boyle - Nepal Red Card

Watched it a few times and still can’t make my mind up if it was a dive or not. You see that sort of tussle between forwards and defenders constantly.
    Great pass from Irvine for Boyle’s goal. I hope they are both at ER when the season

https://youtu.be/ZPW2sUFqdrE

Added the link for the goals.
    https://youtu.be/tGCSNO1R9yA
    Last edited by ddoc; 12-06-2021 at 05:10 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    3.45 is the Boyle’s goal

@hibs.net private member
    It was a dive, there was clear contact but not enough to make him go down. I guess under the letter of the law it was a foul but a foul can be awarded without throwing yourself down to the ground. A foul? Yes, but I just don’t like to see that sort of behaviour from any player let alone one of our own.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It's a new phenomenon thats seems to just affect footballers, a tug on their shoulder seems to affect their ability to keep the use of their legs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a dive, there was clear contact but not enough to make him go down. I guess under the letter of the law it was a foul but a foul can be awarded without throwing yourself down to the ground. A foul? Yes, but I just don’t like to see that sort of behaviour from any player let alone one of our own.
    So it was a dive, there was clear contact and it was a foul? You could get a job in Scotland as a referee

Never a dive in it's life , you can see his feet give way in the turf when contact is made.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Foul followed by a dive.

Can’t always blame the players for diving. Fans and managers are the first to say “Go down”.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    Whilst I’d agree, I’d agree with what madhatter says. You can’t blame the players for going down. Half the time it’s the only way they get the foul.

The physical contact doesn't make him go down so I suppose that means it is a dive.

However players are forced into this kind of action because referees just don't give fouls if the player doesn't go down. You see it repeatedly, players kicked, pushed, pulled and whatever else. They try to stay on their feet and the ref let's the foul go regardless of whether there actually is an advantage.

It's a calculated risk for players. Go down under contact and you might get the foul you should have got anyway, trade that off against the odd booking.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    Surely the important question that should be asked is..

Was it a foul or not?

I saw a clear tug on his shoulder on a different video which I called as a foul.

Whether Martin fell to the ground at that point, or jumped in the air isn’t really relevant...it’s still a foul.

FWIW...The first video shows...to me at least, Martin continuing for a couple of paces before his right foot buckles and he ends up on the deck.

My definition of a ‘dive’ is more where a player deliberately tries to deceive a ref into awarding a free kick/penalty where no foul play occurred.

In this instance it was a clear foul.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Why would he dive when they were comfortable at 2-0?

He definitely lost his footing - his right foot slipped out from under him. I'm not sure it was caused by the contact though, but he did immediately look to the ref when he went down.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Why would he dive when they were comfortable at 2-0?

He definitely lost his footing - his right foot slipped out from under him. I'm not sure it was caused by the contact though, but he did immediately look to the ref when he went down.
    Travelling at speed the Nepalese guy tugged his shoulder...not a huge tug..but a tug nevertheless.

Face it. He's a diver. He's not the messiah!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Face it. He's a diver. He's not the messiah!
    Some may think you nailed it, others may be cross.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Travelling at speed the Nepalese guy tugged his shoulder...not a huge tug..but a tug nevertheless.
    I dont think anyone will argue against that Fred, but come on, why has he lost the ability to use his legs?

I know why he's gone down, but for me it's a clear foul then a clear dive.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    Some may think you nailed it, others may be cross.
    Jesus, not another pun thread.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    So it was a dive, there was clear contact and it was a foul? You could get a job in Scotland as a referee
    Not rocket science really, the OP questioned whether it was a dive.....and it was. You can make contact with an individual without making them collapse to the ground. You do know that a foul can be awarded after contact without players diving? Bottom line is that Martin, in my opinion, made the choice to go down rather than finish the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Jesus, not another pun thread.
    Heretoday is a very naughty boy.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

My initial reaction was a dive because Boyle wasn't affected by the slight tug on his shoulder and had a couple more steps before he fell to his side which doesn't look natural.

But in the later replay from behind it looks more like his right foot slipped as he attempted to straighten his line, so it wasn't a dive. However Boyle appealing for the foul probably swayed the official's decision into thinking he deliberately went to ground.

My conclusion is neither a foul nor a dive.

However, as PB has pointed out, football's absolute failure to have a proper advantage rule encourages players to cheat. A defender can attempt a foul, knowing that if the attacker stays up no action will be taken whilst the attacker will go to ground for the same reason. Having an opponent on a booking which makes them more cautious for the rest of the game is generally more valuable than playing on with no certainty of creating a chance, let alone scoring a goal.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    He definitely loses his footing. That said, not sure there was enough contact in the first place to warrant a foul.

That adds to his Tom Daley reputation. Does himself and us no favours tbh. Some real green-tinted comments on here.
    Since when does a gentle touch become a tug? Not even a foul in my book. Absolutely no hindrance to Boyle caused by being touched on the shoulder and he only goes down two steps later when he realises the defender is getting in a position to challenge. If that sort of light touch contact with a hand on an opposite player is going to be a foul every time then we need to start playing the game with hands tied behind the back.

Touch, pause step step , fall over

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    That adds to his Tom Daley reputation. Does himself and us no favours tbh. Some real green-tinted comments on here.
    Since when does a gentle touch become a tug? Not even a foul in my book. Absolutely no hindrance to Boyle caused by being touched on the shoulder and he only goes down two steps later when he realises the defender is getting in a position to challenge. If that sort of light touch contact with a hand on an opposite player is going to be a foul every time then we need to start playing the game with hands tied behind the back.
    Green tinted specs because some are calling either a foul or can clearly see his feet give way in the ground. Nothing green tinted just isn't a dive in my opinion of course.

Which does Hibs or Him no harm.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    After watching it couple of times still unsure if was a dive or not

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Green tinted specs because some are calling either a foul or can clearly see his feet give way in the ground. Nothing green tinted just isn't a dive in my opinion of course.

Which does Hibs or Him no harm.
    But what does harm Hibs is him having a rep as a diver. As a result of that, decisions that should go our way may subsequently not.

A Hearts player going down in similar circumstances against Hibs and our player is sent off.
    What would be the reaction on here?

Had a right to go down?
    Can't decide if it was a foul or not?
    Delayed reaction?
    Hearts players always cheating?
    Diver?
    Ban?
    Melt down?
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 12-06-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Heretoday is a very naughty boy.
    Well! They're all at it nowadays aren't they? The idea that Boyle runs so fast that the merest featherlite touch is enough to send him flying is laughable. I don't recall Arthur diving about much except when he scored with that header in the 79 cup final replay. Oh god!

@hibs.net private member
    Great pass from Irvine for Boyle’s goal. I hope they are both at ER when the season

After that cup final non performance I'm not fussed for either.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    It's a new phenomenon thats seems to just affect footballers, a tug on their shoulder seems to affect their ability to keep the use of their legs.
    And Boyle is rapidly getting a reputation for that phenomenon, unfortunately.

If you're impeded while running at speed then there's a good chance you'll be knocked over or lose your footing. Martin has been given a reputation as a diver by the Scottish media and their poor analysis of slow motion replays, which give a very distorted impression of what's going on. Asian Cup referees probably don't watch Sportscene.