hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are expectations then?

So is he given the buffer of being benchmarked against past Managers and teams under achieving or after last season do we expect similar but better (a trophy)?

What would be an Excellent, Good and Average season?
    We need to be top four and qualifying for Europe consistently. Don't think we've ever achieved that in my lifetime. In saying that i don't think we should be looking back the way as a comparison. We need to continue to move forward. We're creating our own standards and expectations as we go and should always be aiming to do better than the previous season. A trophy would be an added bonus.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    We need to be top four and qualifying for Europe consistently. Don't think we've ever achieved that in my lifetime. In saying that i don't think we should be looking back the way as a comparison. We need to continue to move forward. We're creating our own standards and expectations as we go and should always be aiming to do better than the previous season. A trophy would be an added bonus.
    Agree with all of this. We shouldn’t be using years of underachievement as a bench mark going forward. That’s nothing to do with JR, just more of a general point with regards to the club as a whole.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

So is he given the buffer of being benchmarked against past Managers and teams under achieving or after last season do we expect similar but better (a trophy)?

What else is a reasonable benchmark, other than past history and performance?

It would be easier if you laid out your criteria for measuring success and see how people respond to that.

I feel a cup win is far more memorable than most league seasons, that's what my best Hibees memories are based on and why I was so utterly gutted that the team threw their chances away last season. However, we move on and the past is gone.

Ross is building something good at Hibs and so he should be with the resources and backing given.

@hibs.net private member

Are you hating this successful period?? ..iirc you started your positing on here with “Ross is terrible - should never be manager”…went on to last season “jury is still out”…now it’s “needs to win trophies and has to be better than managers before him”.

A couple of bad results and you’ll be all over him again …

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    I’d be happy with a 3rd place finish again this season. Think the leagues stronger this season than last. Aberdeen looking better and hearts also had a decent start.

FWIW I wasn’t a big Jack Ross fan and thought our performances weren’t great last season but very impressed with what I’ve seen so far this season. Our tempo looks night and day.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Agree with this 👍

It is an exciting period at the club and the squad does look really good with the depth we now have especially midfield which looks promising. I do think if we can get to the group stages of Conference League that would be unreal and a different kind of success.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    What else is a reasonable benchmark, other than past history and performance?

It would be easier if you laid out your criteria for measuring success and see how people respond to that.

I feel a cup win is far more memorable than most league seasons, that's what my best Hibees memories are based on and why I was so utterly gutted that the team threw their chances away last season. However, we move on and the past is gone.

Ross is building something good at Hibs and so he should be with the resources and backing given.
    The club is probably the biggest it's ever been in modern times and we are in a super modern era with this Europa Conference League.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Are you hating this successful period?? ..iirc you started your positing on here with “Ross is terrible - should never be manager”…went on to last season “jury is still out”…now it’s “needs to win trophies and has to be better than managers before him”.

A couple of bad results and you’ll be all over him again …
    Behave and stop putting words in other peoples mouths.

Successful period? What's been achieved?
    Last edited by Allez Hibs; 09-08-2021 at 10:33 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Agree with all of this. We shouldn’t be using years of underachievement as a bench mark going forward. That’s nothing to do with JR, just more of a general point with regards to the club as a whole.
    I agree 100% with this. I'm not expecting Hibs to win a trophy every year. But our record in the last 5 or so years in getting to Hampden is excellent.

I want a manager who gets us the next step to winning trophies on a semi consistent basis and gets us playing good football, finishing high up the league and winning more derbies than not.

Ron has put us in a great position to achieve that. The club are in the position to kick on in a very long time.

So far this season Ross has silenced my doubts. I'm really enjoying the football and looking forward to watching us. I'm very happy with that for now.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I agree 100% with this. I'm not expecting Hibs to win a trophy every year. But our record in the last 5 or so years in getting to Hampden is excellent.

I want a manager who gets us the next step to winning trophies on a semi consistent basis and gets us playing good football, finishing high up the league and winning more derbies than not.

Ron has put us in a great position to achieve that. The club are in the position to kick on in a very long time.

So far this season Ross has silenced my doubts. I'm really enjoying the football and looking forward to watching us. I'm very happy with that for now.
    Is JR not equally responsible for that?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    That’d be brilliant. He’d then be up there with the handful of managers that have managed it previously.
    Winning a trophy isn’t a guarantee of respect unfortunately. John Collins is case in point. Some of the posters who have debated the merits of criticism of Ross are also the ones who have given Collins a tough time over the years despite winning a trophy and doing so in style.

Back to Ross, it’s good to see everyone on board this season. The style of football and not particularly enjoying last season were my main reservations. I’ve not seen all the games, but the ones I have I’ve very much liked what I’ve seen. A proper midfield and a team playing with tempo while not looking like it is at the expense of results or competitiveness. I still don’t think we’re clinical or ruthless enough to be a really top team, but we’re not far away IMO.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Is JR not equally responsible for that?
    Sorry yeah I just meant that the lack of success in years gone by shouldn't be the barometer now. For me, Ron has come in and given us that bit more financial muscle to push on.

Then it's up to the manager (JR) to take that forward and achieve our goals. I know we were in a good place before he took over but it does feel like our recruitment and budget has been given a lift by RG.

A much much more extreme version is Man City. Their targets now are not based on historical league placing - it's the here and now. We are of course no where near as changed but I think its fair for JR to be set high standards.

I'll admit in hindsight I was too harsh. I don't recall wanting him gone but I was really angry after the SC final. But this season has been electric and long may it continue. There are bigger tests to come though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Winning a trophy isn’t a guarantee of respect unfortunately. John Collins is case in point. Some of the posters who have debated the merits of criticism of Ross are also the ones who have given Collins a tough time over the years despite winning a trophy and doing so in style.

Back to Ross, it’s good to see everyone on board this season. The style of football and not particularly enjoying last season were my main reservations. I’ve not seen all the games, but the ones I have I’ve very much liked what I’ve seen. A proper midfield and a team playing with tempo while not looking like it is at the expense of results or competitiveness. I still don’t think we’re clinical or ruthless enough to be a really top team, but we’re not far away IMO.
    I'm the first to praise Ross and criticise Collins.

OK JC led us to a League Cup win - I still think JR is a far, far better manager.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Sorry yeah I just meant that the lack of success in years gone by shouldn't be the barometer now. For me, Ron has come in and given us that bit more financial muscle to push on.

Then it's up to the manager (JR) to take that forward and achieve our goals. I know we were in a good place before he took over but it does feel like our recruitment and budget has been given a lift by RG.

A much much more extreme version is Man City. Their targets now are not based on historical league placing - it's the here and now. We are of course no where near as changed but I think its fair for JR to be set high standards.

I'll admit in hindsight I was too harsh. I don't recall wanting him gone but I was really angry after the SC final. But this season has been electric and long may it continue. There are bigger tests to come though.
    In any case, starting off with the football structure put in place by Leeann Dempster (with the support of STF/RP), the apparent ambition of Ron Gordon and the tweaking that's been done since his arrival and the management of JR (supported by Mathie et al), we seem to be in a good place just now.

Here's hoping we can continue in the same direction.

@hibs.net private member
    In any case, starting off with the football structure put in place by Leeann Dempster (with the support of STF/RP), the apparent ambition of Ron Gordon and the tweaking that's been done since his arrival and the management of JR (supported by Mathie et al), we seem to be in a good place just now.

👍

Left by mutual consent!

Agreed. Things are looking promising.

@hibs.net private member
    Agreed. Things are looking promising.
    What I’m very enthusiastic about is how we are becoming more robust against the thuggish teams. We could be out muscled against the hammer throwers but the evidence of the last four or five games suggests we can look after ourselves and yet the crisp, speedy, passing game is coming back in spades. Where’s the like button🙂

I think last season he consolidated what we had and probably over achieved a bit to get 3rd, I expect 4th was our aim. Tactics were probably set to make us solid and to get us as high as possible, the next step has been taken. We've added Doyle-Hayes and had a good pre season for Magennis, with Allan as an option, tactics have changed to be more attacking and the players seem to be loving it, far more freedom in their play. Well done Jack Ross, onwards and upwards.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Totally agree with the points about not judging Ross based on the failings of other managers. I’m sure Ron Gordon hasn’t come in and said because historically we’ve failed to regularly finish in the top four and qualify for Europe we won’t bother setting these as realistic targets.

I’ve had concerns about Ross, but the start of this season and more so the style of football has me really encouraged. Couple that with the feeling that we are totally serious about investing in the playing side for one of the few if any periods in my lifetime.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Good summary he is incrementally making us better and better. His transfer market work has been very good imo and we are buying younger players that are keen to develop. Overall he has done an excellent job and will continue to do so. The transformation from Heckys last few games is absolutely night and day. Just shows what a bit of patience can do who would have thought it.
    Only if you've got the right guy in the first place!

There were plenty on here saying give 'Hecky" more time, be patient etc when it was clear he was a dud.

Let's just enjoy it now.

Not having a go at you here, but there seems to be a few posters trying to stir things up with folk who weren't jumping for joy last season. Can not just enjoy things and look forward instead of casting stuff up?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    Totally agree with the points about not judging Ross based on the failings of other managers. I’m sure Ron Gordon hasn’t come in and said because historically we’ve failed to regularly finish in the top four and qualify for Europe we won’t bother setting these as realistic targets.

I’ve had concerns about Ross, but the start of this season and more so the style of football has me really encouraged. Couple that with the feeling that we are totally serious about investing in the playing side for one of the few if any periods in my lifetime.
    Agree with your last sentence. We really seem to be willing to spend a bit now which is great.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Agree with your last sentence. We really seem to be willing to spend a bit now which is great.
    Yes, before it always felt like something other than the playing side was taking priority.

It's looking good so far. Early days.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Only if you've got the right guy in the first place!

There were plenty on here saying give 'Hecky" more time, be patient etc when it was clear he was a dud.

Let's just enjoy it now.

Not having a go at you here, but there seems to be a few posters trying to stir things up with folk who weren't jumping for joy last season. Can not just enjoy things and look forward instead of casting stuff up?
    Wait, Hecky was a dud but folk wanted to give him more time......posters shouldnt be casting up stuff and move forward? Is that not exactly what you have done there?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Wait, Hecky was a dud but folk wanted to give him more time......posters shouldnt be casting up stuff and move forward? Is that not exactly what you have done there?
    Hecky was a dud, as soon as Ross came in our results have improved week on week. Ross and his team have done more than Hecky could ever dream of as a manager.

In my opinion, you give managers time when you can see improvement.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Hecky was a dud, as soon as Ross came in our results have improved week on week. Ross and his team have done more than Hecky could ever dream of as a manager.

Playing devils advocate here.

Hecky has won an English Premier League game as manager. I'm pretty sure Jack Ross would love to do that and have ambitions to do so.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Playing devils advocate here.

Hecky has won an English Premier League game as manager. I'm pretty sure Jack Ross would love to do that and have ambitions to do so.
    Irrelevant, he's a dud.

The point was about casting up stuff, nothing to do with who was a dud or not?

Hecky made a couple of fatal mistakes.

I don't actually think he's a bad manager, but it was correct that he was launched when he was.

He's exactly the type that you could see going on to succeed elsewhere and make us look daft, but it wasn't going to work out for him with Hibs and we're much better off with who we've got (even if Jack Ross has his flaws.)

Left by mutual consent!
    Irrelevant, he's a dud.
    Also took us to Hampden.