hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rightly or wrongly, one is considered to be an event - and a rare one, at that - whereas a League Cup group game against lower league opposition isn’t exactly ‘not to be missed’.

Elgin away! Can't wait lad!
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I'm one of the anti this game advocates on here, so let me address your points:

1) I don't like Liverpool, but that wouldn't stop me going to watch their exciting brand of football, and who cant like Jurgen Klopp. In fact I've been to Anfield to watch them when Dalglish was playing.

2) I have absolutely nothing against English teams, in fact I have a soft spot for Everton and try to take in a game at Goodison whenever I visit my brother's family in Liverpool.

3) And this is where we address the real issue many of us have with this game. This isn't like back in the day when Scottish kids had an English team of choice as an add on to the Scottish club they supported, this is an era where that has been turned on its head for too many kids. We are now in an era where leagues like the EPL ( especially the EPL ) are aggressively pursuing a policy of attracting global fan bases. When it comes to their activities in Asia and north America that equates to attracting TV pay per view fans, shirt sales and football tourists … the owner of Cardiff City didn't change the teams colours to red on a whim, it was a cynical attempt to attract support in Malaysia where red is a significant cultural colour.

As I said in another post the ridiculous pre season tours EPL clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool undertake every season has nothing to do with pre season preparation and everything to do with promoting their clubs and the league to international TV and tourist markets. The difference between doing that in China and doing it in Scotland is that they are on our doorstep and the 'fans' they attract here have easy access to EPL grounds, especially in the north of England, and going there can be a frequent occurrence not a once in a lifetime holiday trip.

That's what this game is, a promotional exercise in an era where its already difficult for Scottish clubs to compete with the packed stadiums and glamour of the EPL which is forced down our throats on Football Focus and MOTD every Saturday. An era where far more than ever before too many Scots when they say 'WE' are talking about Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle Utd, Man City etc etc and not Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee Utd etc etc. I personally know of three families, who though swearing allegiance to Hibs and Hearts, still make far more trips to the grounds of their EPL team of choice than they do Easter Rd or Tynecastle …. as I also said in another post, our group of ER season ticket holders is on the cusp of losing a long standing ST holding Hibby to Liverpool through the strenuous efforts of his mums Scottish Liverpool supporting partner.

That's why folk saying what's the problem just coz they aren't playing Hibs or Hearts are entirely missing the point. and why Liverpool and Napoli can take this game and ram it.

4) As vacuous a statement as my favourite modern brainless phrase 'haters gonna hate'
    3) How do you square this with the fact that Hibs currently have a fairly constant number of season ticket holders which is higher than anything I've seen in my lifetime? And i grew up in the 80s don't you know... I'm not sure, but I think you could say the same for Hearts. Football in Edinburgh seems to me to be in rude health despite the horrible tactics of those South of the border.

4) As much as you think it's rubbish, I have to disagree. There's a fair amount of that on this thread if you ask me. Just my opinion!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    3) How do you square this with the fact that Hibs currently have a fairly constant number of season ticket holders which is higher than anything I've seen in my lifetime? And i grew up in the 80s don't you know... I'm not sure, but I think you could say the same for Hearts. Football in Edinburgh seems to me to be in rude health despite the horrible tactics of those South of the border.

4) As much as you think it's rubbish, I have to disagree. There's a fair amount of that on this thread if you ask me. Just my opinion!

Regards the first point, you are absolutely correct and I for one want to keep it that way … encouraging an EPL sales pitch in Edinburgh wont help IMO.

As for the second point … you suggested folk were annoyed about this just for the sake of it and that for me is just not the case. Some of us are passionate about the game here and especially Hibs, therefor we are defensive about the preservation of it … In view of that this is an absolutely legitimate subject for us to be voicing concern about … its not moaning for the sake of it.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Regards the first point, you are absolutely correct and I for one want to keep it that way … encouraging an EPL sales pitch in Edinburgh wont help IMO.

As for the second point … you suggested folk were annoyed about this just for the sake of it and that for me is just not the case. Some of us are passionate about the game here and especially Hibs, therefor we are defensive about the preservation of it … In view of that this is an absolutely legitimate subject for us to be voicing concern about … its not moaning for the sake of it.
    You didn't really answer my first point though, did you? Hibs' recent great attendance figures have been achieved despite you suggesting that the EPL etc have been marketing more aggressively than ever. How do you square that off? Maybe, just maybe, the two are unrelated? And is one game featuring the team who finished second in said league really going to make that much of a difference?

As for your second paragraph, we'll just have to disagree on this. I think it's mountains out of molehills and people getting their knickers in a twist about nothing much. You believe it's a much bigger deal and that this one game will have a negative impact on Hibs' fanbase in the future. That's your prerogative.

Some of us are indeed passionate about the Scottish game, and Hibs in particular. It doesn't stop us enjoying other football too, and if two massive teams are putting on a show in your back yard...

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

Any rugby season ticket holders check your email as the SRU have a presale via ticketmaster

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    You didn't really answer my first point though, did you? Hibs' recent great attendance figures have been achieved despite you suggesting that the EPL etc have been marketing more aggressively than ever. How do you square that off? Maybe, just maybe, the two are unrelated? And is one game featuring the team who finished second in said league really going to make that much of a difference?

As for your second paragraph, we'll just have to disagree on this. I think it's mountains out of molehills and people getting their knickers in a twist about nothing much. You believe it's a much bigger deal and that this one game will have a negative impact on Hibs' fanbase in the future. That's your prerogative.

Some of us are indeed passionate about the Scottish game, and Hibs in particular. It doesn't stop us enjoying other football too, and if two massive teams are putting on a show in your back yard...

Excellent post!

Totally agree

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can’t get remotely interested in Hibs friendlies or even testimonials. In the case of testimonials I would rather donate to someone I thought worthy of recognition rather than attend these kind of sham matches. I am not criticising those that do, it is just something I tired of years ago.

As for a friendly involving two clubs I don’t support, well, i just can’t get excited about it. If it’s your bag, enjoy it, have a good day, take the kids, have a hotdog, just don’t bring me back a two team scarf as a souvenir.

@hibs.net private member

1) I don't like Liverpool, but that wouldn't stop me going to watch their exciting brand of football, and who cant like Jurgen Klopp. In fact I've been to Anfield to watch them when Dalglish was playing.

2) I have absolutely nothing against English teams, in fact I have a soft spot for Everton and try to take in a game at Goodison whenever I visit my brother's family in Liverpool.

3) And this is where we address the real issue many of us have with this game. This isn't like back in the day when Scottish kids had an English team of choice as an add on to the Scottish club they supported, this is an era where that has been turned on its head for too many kids. We are now in an era where leagues like the EPL ( especially the EPL ) are aggressively pursuing a policy of attracting global fan bases. When it comes to their activities in Asia and north America that equates to attracting TV pay per view fans, shirt sales and football tourists … the owner of Cardiff City didn't change the teams colours to red on a whim, it was a cynical attempt to attract support in Malaysia where red is a significant cultural colour.

As I said in another post the ridiculous pre season tours EPL clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool undertake every season has nothing to do with pre season preparation and everything to do with promoting their clubs and the league to international TV and tourist markets. The difference between doing that in China and doing it in Scotland is that they are on our doorstep and the 'fans' they attract here have easy access to EPL grounds, especially in the north of England, and going there can be a frequent occurrence not a once in a lifetime holiday trip.

That's what this game is, a promotional exercise in an era where its already difficult for Scottish clubs to compete with the packed stadiums and glamour of the EPL which is forced down our throats on Football Focus and MOTD every Saturday. An era where far more than ever before too many Scots when they say 'WE' are talking about Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle Utd, Man City etc etc and not Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee Utd etc etc. I personally know of three families, who though swearing allegiance to Hibs and Hearts, still make far more trips to the grounds of their EPL team of choice than they do Easter Rd or Tynecastle …. as I also said in another post, our group of ER season ticket holders is on the cusp of losing a long standing ST holding Hibby to Liverpool through the strenuous efforts of his mums Scottish Liverpool supporting partner.

That's why folk saying what's the problem just coz they aren't playing Hibs or Hearts are entirely missing the point. and why Liverpool and Napoli can take this game and ram it.

4) As vacuous a statement as my favourite modern brainless phrase 'haters gonna hate'

Absolute cr*p! You are on the verge of paranoia.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Fair play for actually making it that far through the post.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    Any rugby season ticket holders check your email as the SRU have a presale via ticketmaster
    Any idea mate on ticket prices in the pre sale.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Any idea mate on ticket prices in the pre sale.
    No idea but pre sale is tomorrow so all will be revealed.

How about a different analogy and way of looking at this game as worthwhile going to.

I give you music concerts. Bruce Springsteen, Supertramp and Elton John.
    Fairly diverse trio of acts but nevertheless pretty popular in their genre.

Why do I mention them?

Well, I’m not the greatest fan of any of them but like a few of their ditties.
    My main point though is that all 3 have been appearing in a city I happened to be in whilst they were on tour and I thought, I’m here, they’re here, why not go along to see them.

Springsteen in Toronto. Supertramp in Vancouver. Both there whilst I was visiting family.
    OK - Elton John was only at Meadowbank but hey that’s only a short 34 bus trip away to see a genuine pop music legend.

So why any true football loving fan would begrudge a 22 bus journey to the home of rugby to see today’s versions of teams we have previously demolished at ER back in the 60s/70s!! is beyond me. I’m not clamouring to attend but if the ticket prices are reasonable, from a purely footballing viewpoint, I don’t see why I shouldn’t.

Your main gripe against this game seems to be that it represents greed and promoting your product aggressively into new markets.

I'm surprised that you are surprised. This is the way football has been for some time now. There's no sense that this fixture represents a new low in any sense. You may as well argue against global capitalism from a political perspective (and I've done so on numerous occasions!) but if you're going to follow football in the early twenty first century you have to swallow up certain principles to a certain extent and just watch the fantastic sport on offer . That's life.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Which part of that paragraph highlighted is absolute cr*p? It seemed pretty much on the money.

i have no problem myself with people supporting anyone they want and attending any matches they want. Freedom of choice and all that, and I suppose I should probably support my local Irish league club more rather than making all those trips over to Easter road... but anyone who thinks the multi-billion pound EPL businesses (they’re not really football clubs anymore are they) are playing friendlies outside of England for any reason other than attracting new markets for their products are kidding themselves.

still. They are fabulous football teams no doubt about it. I can understand why people would want to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post
    Which part of that paragraph highlighted is absolute cr*p? It seemed pretty much on the money.

i have no problem myself with people supporting anyone they want and attending any matches they want. Freedom of choice and all that, and I suppose I should probably support my local Irish league club more rather than making all those trips over to Easter road... but anyone who thinks the multi-billion pound EPL businesses (they’re not really football clubs anymore are they) are playing friendlies outside of England for any reason other than attracting new markets for their products are kidding themselves.

still. They are fabulous football teams no doubt about it. I can understand why people would want to watch them.
    What new market are they attracting by playing in Scotland? Trying to get tickets for Liverpool Home games is near enough impossible, they certainly aren’t available in large numbers. And most of us have Sky Sports and BT. So where’s the drain in funds from Scotland to England coming from apart from sales in replica tops?
    Last edited by marinello59; 09-06-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    How about a different analogy and way of looking at this game as worthwhile going to.

I give you music concerts. Bruce Springsteen, Supertramp and Elton John.
    Fairly diverse trio of acts but nevertheless pretty popular in their genre.

Why do I mention them?

Well, I’m not the greatest fan of any of them but like a few of their ditties.
    My main point though is that all 3 have been appearing in a city I happened to be in whilst they were on tour and I thought, I’m here, they’re here, why not go along to see them.

Springsteen in Toronto. Supertramp in Vancouver. Both there whilst I was visiting family.
    OK - Elton John was only at Meadowbank but hey that’s only a short 34 bus trip away to see a genuine pop music legend.

So why any true football loving fan would begrudge a 22 bus journey to the home of rugby to see today’s versions of teams we have previously demolished at ER back in the 60s/70s!! is beyond me. I’m not clamouring to attend but if the ticket prices are reasonable, from a purely footballing viewpoint, I don’t see why I shouldn’t.
    Has going to any of those gigs affected your enthusiasm to go to see the Spice Girls or Wu Tang Clan in concert, or made you not want to stick on a Jimmy Shand CD?

I simply don't believe that we have a finite number of "customers" that all football clubs are fighting over and that this game will have a negative effect on Hibs. Quite the opposite, I think having the European champions playing in our city will give youngsters an extra buzz about football, a buzz that Hibs can benefit from in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Champions league winners playing in a match against Italian giants. Suspect it will be tourist prices, probably £50+ a ticket.
    If it's as much as that then I hope people boycott it.

£50 for a pre-season kickabout would be disgusting.

It should be no more than around £10-15 for a friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If it's as much as that then I hope people boycott it.

£50 for a pre-season kickabout would be disgusting.

It should be no more than around £10-15 for a friendly.
    IMHO it will be a range of £25 - £35 a ticket possibly with decent consessions to encourage more people to attend. If that turns out right it is laughable to watch two teams who give not a jot and will include a number of fringe players.

I'd rather see Hearts v The Spice Girls.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    IMHO it will be a range of £25 - £35 a ticket possibly with decent consessions to encourage more people to attend. If that turns out right it is laughable to watch two teams who give not a jot and will include a number of fringe players.
    Anymore than £25-30 then can stick the tickets where the sun don’t shine.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Has going to any of those gigs affected your enthusiasm to go to see the Spice Girls or Wu Tang Clan in concert, or made you not want to stick on a Jimmy Shand CD?

I simply don't believe that we have a finite number of "customers" that all football clubs are fighting over and that this game will have a negative effect on Hibs. Quite the opposite, I think having the European champions playing in our city will give youngsters an extra buzz about football, a buzz that Hibs can benefit from in many ways.
    Whoah!! I’d draw the line at the Spice Girls. And anyway, it was raining last night, so stuff that LOL!!

Funny you should mention Jimmy Shand. It has just reminded me I have seen him perform live believe it or not. Many years ago while on holiday in Aviemore with my mum & dad, he was recording a live show to be released on record. I was dragged along as a very reluctant 12/13 year old. Not the best evening I’ve ever experienced.

I’m not against this game taking place on our doorstep. Those that want to go, will go. Those who don’t, won’t. I just don’t get all the vitriol being spouted about EPL this, EPL that!!

Is it. So Arsenal go to China to Play Chelsea in a friendly match because that's so much easier than playing it at Stamford Bridge or the Emirates … seriously?

Look mate, I'm fine with folk who don't agree with my take on this …. and a guy in response to one of my posts made a pretty valid point about how healthy ST sales have been for Edinburgh's clubs lately .. but if you don't think these EPL outlandish friendly tours are as much a promotional exercise as they are pre season preparation then your naivety massively outweighs my paranoia

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Fair play for actually making it that far through the post.
    Sorry mate, next time I'll include pictures just for you

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Pre sale starts today but theres no ticket prices available on the site.

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event...klUkC12cSoaXs0
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member
    Is it. So Arsenal go to China to Play Chelsea in a friendly match because that's so much easier than playing it at Stamford Bridge or the Emirates … seriously?

Look mate, I'm fine with folk who don't agree with my take on this …. and a guy in response to one of my posts made a pretty valid point about how healthy ST sales have been for Edinburgh's clubs lately .. but if you don't think these EPL outlandish friendly tours are as much a promotional exercise as they are pre season preparation then your naivety massively outweighs my paranoia

Your obsession with this particular match is proving my point. Okay Chelsea v Arsenal in China - obvious PR exercise aiming at the potentially huge Asian market. Liverpool v Whoever in Edinburgh aimed at what? - giving the potentially huge Edinburgh (Scottish) market a taste of the EPL? - encouraging them to cross the border for their football fix? - apart from a few northern English clubs the cost of travel/tickets and travel time/costs would make that a non starter. All the PR exercises around the globe may cause a few folk to buy shirts/watch foreign teams on the tv but they won't attend matches on other continents on a regular basis, maybe catch the odd game on a holiday. IMO these matches won't affect whether or not potential Hibs supporters are lured away to watch any of the big names south of the border. It may well tempt some Scottish fans to adopt a second club to support, I know many Hibees who have an English team that they follow but it never seems to affect their allegiance to Hibs. I agree that there is an strong element of greed involved through merchandising but I can't see that affecting any of the Scottish clubs. I could go on and on but I feel any more would be going round in circles. Opinions eh?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Pre sale starts today but theres no ticket prices available on the site.

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event...klUkC12cSoaXs0
    That link says £28-67.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Cheapest £28, most expensive is £60 per ticket plus the £7 charge so £67 each for East Stand in pre sale just now.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    I've no issue with the game being in Edinburgh but the pricing is awful.