hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Griffiths

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You don't think someone who is having to earn a deal at second bottom Dundee because he can't get himself fit enough to not have his belly bulging out his top is "much of a punt"?

I've read some wild things on here since Monday night but this is up there.

As for the "Hibee to his bones" comment above I seem to recall a lot of badge kissing and tying Celtic scarves to posts.
    He's not deemed good enough to start for a rotten Dundee either. I'd rather give one of our young players a chance.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    You don't think someone who is having to earn a deal at second bottom Dundee because he can't get himself fit enough to not have his belly bulging out his top is "much of a punt"?

I've read some wild things on here since Monday night but this is up there.

As for the "Hibee to his bones" comment above I seem to recall a lot of badge kissing and tying Celtic scarves to posts.
    I don't because he would'nt be on high wages. It would be up to him but a 75% capacity Leigh Griffiths is better than most strikers in the SPFL.

If he doesn't get fit than more fool him.

McPake has spoke lately about a marked change in his attitude. Coming here, he'd get fit and score goals.

Such a long deal would obviously be performance based. Earn it at the home of his team.

Not much of a punt because there would be very little outlay.

@hibs.net private member
    Maloney, via his Celtic connection (Kennedy et al) Will know exactly what Griffiths has been like in recent years . He will have all the info to make an informed decision . If he doesn’t fancy him, it will be on that basis - knowing the facts.

I’m not expecting him to want him.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think we all know that LG won't be back at ER however, I don't think it's beyond the realms of reason to suggest that if SM did invite LG back on a short term deal, there would be an array of caveats tied to it in terms of weight loss, fitness and attitude. I would expect those caveats to be scheduled and pinpointed on a daily or weekly plan to evaluate his ongoing engagement and wellbeing.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    I don't because he would'nt be on high wages. It would be up to him but a 75% capacity Leigh Griffiths is better than most strikers in the SPFL.

McPake has spoke lately about a marked change in his attitude. Coming here, he'd get fit and score goals.

Such a long deal would obviously be performance based. Earn it at the home of his team.

If he doesn't get fit then more fool us because you've just given him a 2.5 year deal for him to continue to eat meal deals & McDonalds.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    100% agree.

He's available on a free. Low wages. 2.5 year deal. It's nonsensical to not look at it.

We have always had radge strikers, one of them won us the cup.

To be successful you need to take a punt or two but I don't even think this is much of a punt.

Bring Leigh back to ER.
    A 2.5 year deal for LG is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. Real potential there to give a decent contract to a guy who looks like he couldn't really care anymore about his fitness or his career.

@hibs.net private member
    If he doesn't get fit then more fool us because you've just given him a 2.5 year deal for him to continue to eat meal deals & McDonalds.
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    A 2.5 year deal for LG is probably the worst idea I've ever heard. Real potential there to give a decent contract to a guy who looks like he couldn't really care anymore about his fitness or his career.
    As I said it would be performance related not handed to him next to his mcdonalds.

He'd need to work for it but if you get him fit he'll score goals, we create a hell of a lot more opportunities than Dundee for example.

The guy above is right though, it's all hypothetical, Maloney will know what he's getting and be fully informed if making a move.

I don't think he will but I would happily take him on a deal whereby it's completely up to him if he makes a good turn of it or not. He's not had to rely on himself playing well for years now in order to maintain any sort of income then he needs to sort himself out and I'd prefer he does that here than say Aberdeen.

I must be honest and say that I think signing Leigh Griffiths at this moment in time is one of the worst suggestions I've read on here in quite some time.

We would be signing someone based purely on their past form and affiliation to the club. Based on his form, fitness and off field behaviour over the last 2 years there's no danger you would touch Leigh Griffiths with a barge pole.

He's only 31 but is currently struggling to get a game for a Dundee side that's now lost 6 games in a row and sitting second bottom of the league.

Griffiths was some player for us but that was nearly 10 years ago and he really hasn't looked like he will rediscover that form any time soon.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    As I said it would be performance related not handed to him next to his mcdonalds.

He'd need to work for it but if you get him fit he'll score goals, we create a hell of a lot more opportunities than Dundee for example.

The guy above is right though, it's all hypothetical, Maloney will know what he's getting and be fully informed if making a move.

I don't think he will but I would happily take him on a deal whereby it's completely up to him if he makes a good turn of it or not. He's not had to rely on himself playing well for years now in order to maintain any sort of income then he needs to sort himself out and I'd prefer he does that here than say Aberdeen.
    I’ve got my doubts about signing Griffiths on playing ability and fitness alone. However he’s also not someone I’d want the likes of Laidlaw, Young or O’Connor learning from giving his unprofessional lifestyle. I think we can do better and are now shopping in a market above the Leigh Griffiths of 2022

Testimonial Due
    Amazed this thread has got to 9 pages.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar

You're not taking into account any of the time, money and staff hours it will take to get Griffiths anywhere near ready. He can't do it himself clearly or he would have already and we should be putting our resources into many, many other areas.

First Team Breakthrough

This is a guy that can't get a starting position for the bottom team in the league, yet you think coming to hibs would get him fit and scoring goals? If he can't get fit enough to challenge for a place at dundee or Celtic, what makes you think he would be arsed for us?.How do you think the sell would be ? " hi, want to take a punt on an overweight, unfit player that can't get a game for worst team in league and who's parent club don't want him?" .
    If it was any player that didn't have previous connection with Hibs, we would be up in arms, and rightly so.

If this was any other player with the baggage LG brings then .net in meltdown saying the player is to be nowhere near Hibs. Some of the things he has done, imagine the chants from the East if that's a jambo. Irrelevant of MH issues

He's had a very very good career but for one reason or another (alot self inflicted) it's not been a very long one as it could been. Mental Health gets talked about alot & quite rightly but I think on some occasions it is used as an excuse.

IF he wants to continue playing then only he can get himself to a level to do so. Think top level in Scotland is done & might need to look at L1 clubs.

Who knows. It's down to Leigh and his support network to decide on the next stage of his career

Thanks for the memories

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Leigh seems highly focused on money so the idea he’d sign a cheap contract with us is somewhat laughable.

It would be nice to think he’d agree to a low basic with lucrative incentives but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I must be honest and say that I think signing Leigh Griffiths at this moment in time is one of the worst suggestions I've read on here in quite some time.

We would be signing someone based purely on their past form and affiliation to the club. Based on his form, fitness and off field behaviour over the last 2 years there's no danger you would touch Leigh Griffiths with a barge pole.

He's only 31 but is currently struggling to get a game for a Dundee side that's now lost 6 games in a row and sitting second bottom of the league.

Griffiths was some player for us but that was nearly 10 years ago and he really hasn't looked like he will rediscover that form any time soon.
    Nail on head.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Griffiths of old yes but as much as it pains me to say it , not now .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I think he'd have knocked that one in the other night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I think I would've
    Would Griffiths, (or Killiehibbie..!) have been fit enough to break up the park and be in position to have a go at converting the chance?
    Realistically, how long would it take for a footballer to shift the excess weight that Griffiths is carrying and to reach an acceptable level of fitness for a top flight club? Would take a large chunk of the remainder of season would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Would Griffiths, (or Killiehibbie..!) have been fit enough to break up the park and be in position to have a try at converting the chance?
    Realistically, how long would it take for a footballer to shift the excess weight that Griffiths is carrying and to reach an acceptable level of fitness for a top flight club? Would take a large chunk of the remainder of season would it not?
    Yes.

Tbh, do you even get in that shape mid season if you are serious about football? If he wasn't arsed to try for 20k a week at his beloved Celtic, he certainly won't here.

Also, he texts kids asking for pics, that fact seems to have been glossed over by those wanting him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Yes.

Tbh, do you even get in that shape mid season if you are serious about football? If he wasn't arsed to try for 20k a week at his beloved Celtic, he certainly won't here.

Also, he texts kids asking for pics, that fact seems to have been glossed over by those wanting him.
    l have only heard one instance of him asking for pics and for balance, the 15 year old girl actually came out and defended him. If you have further examples? Please share.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 19-01-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    l have only heard one instance of him asking for pics and for balance, the 15 year old girl actually came out and defended him. If you have further examples? Please share.
    The 15 year old defended him? Is that supposed to be a defence of him? She's a child.

There is absolutely no defending asking a 15 year old for pictures. Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Would Griffiths, (or Killiehibbie..!) have been fit enough to break up the park and be in position to have a go at converting the chance?
    When I was Nisbets age definitely, at 31 probably, now that would be the hardest bit but give me a six month deal and I'll give it a go.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You can't be serious here??

Blog Entries
    The 15 year old defended him? Is that supposed to be a defence of him? She's a child.

There is absolutely no defending asking a 15 year old for pictures. Zero.
    actually she came out said that her age was never mentioned and that if he knew, he probably wouldn’t have contacted her. However, I did ask you for further examples given you said “he text kids”.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    You can't be serious here??
    just going by the articles in the media and the quotes from the girl herself so, I don’t know quite what you are trying to insinuate?

actually she came out said that her age was never mentioned and that if he knew, he probably wouldn’t have contacted her. However, I did ask you for further examples given you said “he text kids”.
    He did text kids. She was 15 and he was texting her asking for pictures. Ignorance is no defence.

Blog Entries
    He did text kids. She was 15 and he was texting her asking for pictures. Ignorance is no defence.
    One kid of which is bad enough but let’s be factual not selective with the truth.

How is the air quality from your location up there on the moral high ground? Not defending him, he was daft to respond but he wasn't (as far as I read) deliberately texting kids. Remind me - what action did the police take against him again?

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    ”Duscussion” takes another **** twist and once again fails to be a thread about Leigh Griffiths, footballer. Poor stuff.

Left by mutual consent!
    9 whole pages on this topic - unreal.

Each page represents a child of his.

Leigh Griffiths, top player for Hibernian and top ****ger.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    How is the air quality from your location up there on the moral high ground? Not defending him, he was daft to respond but he wasn't (as far as I read) deliberately texting kids. Remind me - what action did the police take against him again?
    This is not one of those moral high ground issues mate. Holy ****. Police can't jail someone for sending camera emojis. Pretty obvious what it meant, though.

Seriously. It's so, so wrong what he did. Should rule him out of even being considered here. Scary how folk even argue that point because he used to be a decent footballer.