hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep, but we could forget any faint hope we may have of signing the likes of McNulty on a "permanent" basis.
    We are going to reach such a point anyway whether it is this year or in a decade. There comes a tipping point at which fans simply can't afford to pay anymore. If the trend for clubs asking fans for more money continues and the business model is ever more reliant on it then it becomes increasingly unsustainable.

Edinburgh is one of the 10 most expensive places to rent a home in the UK and that's increasing. It's not a cheap place to live and football is ultimately a luxury that can be cut.

Scottish football as a whole needs to look beyond the fans for increasing revenue streams. Simply adding a couple of pound to a cat A ticket every other year isn't a long term solution to a problem that has been evident for the best part of 2 decades.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We are going to reach such a point anyway whether it is this year or in a decade. There comes a tipping point at which fans simply can't afford to pay anymore. If the trend for clubs asking fans for more money continues and the business model is ever more reliant on it then it becomes increasingly unsustainable.

Edinburgh is one of the 10 most expensive places to rent a home in the UK and that's increasing. It's not a cheap place to live and football is ultimately a luxury that can be cut.

Scottish football as a whole needs to look beyond the fans for increasing revenue streams. Simply adding a couple of pound to a cat A ticket every other year isn't a long term solution to a problem that has been evident for the best part of 2 decades.
    👏👏

On a personal level the games are too expensive for me.
    I've been to 1 away game this season and even had to miss home cup ties because I simply couldn't afford tickets for me and my daughter.

As for the argument about how we (Scottish football) need to get a 'proper' TV deal to help end the rise in ticket prices.....
    Well, how's that worked out in the richest League in the world 🤔 ?

Google 'inflation calculator UK'

East Stand season ticket 1999/00 - £240

£419.05 in today's money. 2019/20 slightly cheaper.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

I agree. I'm well aware of how much more expensive it's become in relative terms compared to pre Sky TV & Bosman prices.

I don't know where Scottish clubs are going to magic any substantial money up from though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I agree. I'm well aware of how much more expensive it's become in relative terms compared to pre Sky TV & Bosman prices.

I don't know where Scottish clubs are going to magic any substantial money up from though.
    Yep, it's not the fault of the clubs as they are now.

The SPL TV and Setanta fiascos loom large though....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

£20 entry would mean no Doidge, no McNulty, no Allan, no Docherty .........no John McGinn no Scottish Cup.
    If we want players of that quality we need to pay what we do.
    With only 5.5 million people in Scotland the TV deal and commercial income will never be massive so our clubs spending power will continue to come predominately from gate money.

If you want to reduce your matchday outlays dont buy food at the game, dont buy alcohol etc.
    Could save £50 by not buying a replica strip etc etc.
    100% of your gate money goes to Hibs so it is the single best way you can support your club.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 14-02-2020 at 07:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    £20 entry would mean no Doidge, no McNulty, no Allan, no Docherty .........no John McGinn no Scottish Cup.
    If we want players of that quality we need to pay what we do.
    With only 5.5 million people in Scotland the TV deal will never be massive so our clubs income will continue to come predominately from gate money.

If you want to reduce your matchday outlays dont buy food at the game, dont buy alcohol etc.
    Could save £50 by not buying a replica strip etc etc.
    100% of your gate money goes to Hibs so it is the single best way you can support your club.

Not in the case of cup matches it doesn't.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    General discussion for ticket prices and opinions. This is not a thread bashing the club.

Does anybody else agree that ticket prices in general, across the top flight of Scottish football are getting out of hand? In 5 years or less its likely we will be paying £40+ for a single ticket for Cat A games.

Current adult away prices
    Hearts away £32/£34

Rangers away £32

Celtic away £33/£30

Hibs at home to any of these teams
    £32

There really should be a cap. £20 is plenty.
    We’re going to cap rail prices. Unfortunately it will mean people losing their jobs or facing a hefty pay cut. Alternatively we could reduce the number of trains and give a poorer service. You decide.

Attending a game of football is a luxury, not a necessity.

So every club will seek to maximise its income to provide it with the funds needed to attract the best players it can and that means that fans have to pay the price at the gate. There's not much of a saving with a season ticket either.

If it gets too expensive for the entertainment offered, then fans can stop paying. They may miss attending games but life moves on and there are other things to do in life. Been there, done that, didn't come back until my circumstances changed.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Not in the case of cup matches it doesn't.
    but you get your wish for paying £20 for a ticket .

P.S. Inverness are skint so their half of the profits will help them out so win win.

Absolutely they're too high.

First Team Breakthrough hailhail22's Avatar
    To show the prices in England for a competition that nobody really cares about going to. I don't think Man City will sell out. Still thousands of tickets left and its gone to a general sale to anyone with a purchase history.
    Just tried to get tickets in the Man City end but because I always buy tickets in my name I am only entitled to 1 ticket.

I am trying to get 4 so I can take the wee ones down if anyone has an account with Man City who has bought tickets before and happy for me to add you onto my friends & family list so I can get more please give me a PM.

Cheers

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I agree with the principle HC, but the accountants wouldn’t with an operating loss of £700k.

I know it’s not as bad as that actually looks but the club need the money and they can charge it because of supply and demand.

Look at the upcoming derby for example, £32 a skull and it will still sell out - if it will be a bawhair off.

Fans vote with their feet against the old firm though, same price but I can’t remember the last time we sold out against them - the 5-5 game against rangers maybe?

Clubs have experimented before with cheaper tickets and has it worked? Motherwell were the one that stick as being a disaster, but I remember going to £15/5 Scottish cup games and the attendances being no different to equivalent league fixtures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    We’re going to cap rail prices. Unfortunately it will mean people losing their jobs or facing a hefty pay cut. Alternatively we could reduce the number of trains and give a poorer service. You decide.
    I see what you did there.
    What do you think HC?

Quote Originally Posted by hailhail22 View Post
    Just tried to get tickets in the Man City end but because I always buy tickets in my name I am only entitled to 1 ticket.

I am trying to get 4 so I can take the wee ones down if anyone has an account with Man City who has bought tickets before and happy for me to add you onto my friends & family list so I can get more please give me a PM.

Cheers

I have used my one allocated ticket ticket for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I see what you did there.
    What do you think HC?

Go for it, I’d be ring fenced.

Just saw a photo of a Union Berlin home ticket against Leverkusen today. 16,Euro

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Freeze prices for the next 5 years then see?

There you go

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

General discussion for ticket prices and opinions. This is not a thread bashing the club.

Does anybody else agree that ticket prices in general, across the top flight of Scottish football are getting out of hand? In 5 years or less its likely we will be paying £40+ for a single ticket for Cat A games.

Current adult away prices
    Hearts away £32/£34

Rangers away £32

Celtic away £33/£30

Hibs at home to any of these teams
    £32

There really should be a cap. £20 is plenty.
    If you think £20 is plenty I hope you enjoy watching Championship ( or lower) football.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    If you think £20 is plenty I hope you enjoy watching Championship ( or lower) football.
    Surely if there was a cap then we wouldn’t really be financially disadvantaged (in relation to our competitors) as other teams would have reduced revenue as well?

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Surely if there was a cap then we wouldn’t really be financially disadvantaged (in relation to our competitors) as other teams would have reduced revenue as well?
    In which case prepare to watch Faroes League level football in terms of quality.

Say Hi Boomer to me if you like but the sense of entitlement some folk exhibit today is staggering.

I want to drive a Ferrari but they cost £s squidilions so I content my self driving a humble asian built SUV. I dont expect Ferrari to have their sale price capped at the same level as a Skoda.

If you can't afford something don't buy it or save up and buy it a little less often.

As has rightly been pointed out elsewhere in this thread football tickets are Price Inelastic.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    If £20 will see us in the championship or lower, how much more on top of the current prices do we need to pay to finish 4th more than once in a blue moon, never mind finish 3rd?
    Last edited by The Modfather; 15-02-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    If £20 will see us in the championship or lower, how much more on top of the current prices do we need to pay to finish 4th more than once in a blue moon, never mind finish 3rd?
    We'd be in 3rd now if half of all those PH draws were wins, which I think we had had JR in post would have been

We'd be in 3rd now if half of all those PH draws were wins, which I think we had had JR in post would have been
    Maybe so, but a hypothetical scenario doesn’t answer my question. How much more do we need to pay on top of what we do now to finish 3rd for the first time in 15 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Being so close to England is the problem, inflated wages, inflated prices, lack of decent TV deal. That plus the fact Scotland just pretty much copy anything England do regarding football. For the standard of football we pay way over the odds to compared to other countries with a similar standard on offer.
    I’d agree that Category A games are over-priced on that point.

However, I’ve generally been paying £19-£23 for Bolton away games in League One this season so it’s probably about right for Category B teams. Similarly, second tier rugby league games are generally £18-£20 and that’s for a largely part time division.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Maybe so, but a hypothetical scenario doesn’t answer my question. How much more do we need to pay on top of what we do now to finish 3rd for the first time in 15 years?
    Is your question not hypothetical too? My point is cut our resources we will slide down to a level matching those resources. Increase the resource and you will progress to a level comensurate with those resources until you hit the ugly sister glass ceiling where no amount of additional sustainable resource will compete. Every now and again you'll punch above your resource weight but realistically there are limits.

In which case prepare to watch Faroes League level football in terms of quality.

Say Hi Boomer to me if you like but the sense of entitlement some folk exhibit today is staggering.

I want to drive a Ferrari but they cost £s squidilions so I content my self driving a humble asian built SUV. I dont expect Ferrari to have their sale price capped at the same level as a Skoda.

If you can't afford something don't buy it or save up and buy it a little less often.

As has rightly been pointed out elsewhere in this thread football tickets are Price Inelastic.
    So I disagree with your previous point that we’d be in the championship if there was a cap on tickets. We’d still have one of the biggest budgets in the league.

I agree that the overall standard might drop, if there was less revenue. That is based on the same number of folk turning up, consistently cheaper prices might lead to more folk turning up though with more bodies meaning there isn’t a loss?

Is your question not hypothetical too? My point is cut our resources we will slide down to a level matching those resources. Increase the resource and you will progress to a level comensurate with those resources until you hit the ugly sister glass ceiling where no amount of additional sustainable resource will compete. Every now and again you'll punch above your resource weight but realistically there are limits.
    I agree it is a hypothetical question, but thought it was still a fair one as it was you that had said £20 tickets would see us in the championship or below. The likes of Motherwell or Livingston this season, and St Johnstone’s and Hamilton’s sustained punching above their weight shows it’s as important, if not more so, to make sure you spend what you have well rather than simply how much you take in. Clubs are going to have to start thinking of other ways to grow revenue than just expecting fans to dig ever deeper.