hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    If you could choose who would marry your daughter, I would have chosen Lewis Stevenson. (I think she would have too...in fact come to think of it. It's only bloomin Lewis that spoiled it by never meeting her bloody club legends !!!)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Legend. End off. Not one decent argument from you to show otherwise just cements it. You clearly dislike him and still can't make a case.

Hibs legend. Fact.
    It's not fact it's your opinion like many others.
    How can I make a case that Lewis Stevenson is not a legend?
    I have been luck enough to meet Lewis on a couple of occasions and have been most impressed.
    I just think that over the years he has been a pretty average player for us.
    Only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    It's not fact it's your opinion like many others.
    How can I make a case that Lewis Stevenson is not a legend?
    I have been luck enough to meet Lewis on a couple of occasions and have been most impressed.
    I just think that over the years he has been a pretty average player for us.
    Only my opinion.
    Well, you are certainly entitled to an opinion.

His career with Hibs is well above average. He's been a part of 20% of the trophies hibs have ever won, including the Scottish cup. Unquestionably a legend tbh.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    If you could choose who would marry your daughter, I would have chosen Lewis Stevenson. (I think she would have too...in fact come to think of it. It's only bloomin Lewis that spoiled it by never meeting her bloody club legends !!!)
    I love Lewis and so does my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    In years to come, people will talk about Lewis in revered terms. Absolutely no doubt about that.

And, his association with Hibs isn't over. I have no idea if he's got what it takes to be a successful coach or manager, but if he has, I am certain he'd want to work at Hibs.

It seems that people would rather bestow the status of legend on players who scored a few goals for Hibs before pissing off elsewhere to make money.

If being a one club man, with 500 appearances and 2 different cup winners medals don't make you a legend, then the term should never be used again.
    Why didn’t I listen to you more when I was younger?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Why didn’t I listen to you more when I was younger?
    Cos you're a bum.

Edit: Actually, you did listen to me. Still a bum.

@hibs.net private member Hibernianinc's Avatar
    Another poster, who I can't remember, suggested this future Hibs team when Leigh was in his 'pomp' and rattling out as many kids as goals in -

Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths

I had high hopes this would be the Hibs team to lift our first treble.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernianinc View Post
    Another poster, who I can't remember, suggested this future Hibs team when Leigh was in his 'pomp' and rattling out as many kids as goals in -

Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Stevenson

Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths Griffiths

Griffiths Griffiths

I had high hopes this would be the Hibs team to lift our first treble.
    Subs bench: Sproule, Sproule, Sproule, Sproule, Sproule
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Cos you're a bum.

Edit: Actually, you did listen to me. Still a bum.
    Wullie Wallace. That was a man that caught your ears mind you. And you’re right,

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    You are right to ask me to name them and honestly this is not a pop at Lewis Stevenson.
    David Murphy, Erich Schaedler, Ulrik Laurssen and for older fans John Parke were in a different class to Lewis.
    Guys like Ian Murray were good enough to get a move to Rangers and a stack of others were much of a muchness with Lewis.
    A great one club man who made the most of his ability but legends are thrown about too easily and Lewis is not one of them.
    What meets your criteria for club legend if not 500 appearances and 2 trophies?

I suppose it depends how you define legend.

Lewis would not be making any Hibs all time greatest 11s or even squads on ability but his length of service, dedication and overall contribution to the club puts him in legend status for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post

Lewis would not be making any Hibs all time greatest 11s or even squads on ability but his length of service, dedication and overall contribution to the club puts him in legend status for me.
    Yet he is our only player to have held three trophies?

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Yet he is our only player to have held three trophies?
    Indeed.

He's not a better player than David Murphy or Ulrik Laursen though, or probably even Ian Murray. And that's just of modern day left backs/wing backs we've had.

Still a legend in my eyes but if I was picking an all time Hibs 11 purely on ability he wouldn't be making the squad.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

Lewis is a much better defender than he is given credit for, yip not as good as David Murphy but since I started watching hibs there haven't been many better left backs in the squad so you are doing him a massive disservice by saying he wouldnt get in any greatest 11 or even squads based on ability, in my opinion of course

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Lewis is a much better defender than he is given credit for, yip not as good as David Murphy but since I started watching hibs there haven't been many better left backs in the squad so you are doing him a massive disservice by saying he wouldnt get in any greatest 11 or even squads based on ability, in my opinion of course
    Lewis has been a good player for us over the years.

I don't think it's doing him a disservice to say he wouldn't be in our all time best ever players squad whilst at the same time saying he is a club legend.

David Murphy for instance is generally regarded by pretty much all Hibs supporters as being a better player than Lewis, Lewis would probably agree, but he's not a club legend.

Big difference between best player and legend. No doubt Lewis is a Hibs legend. He’s never been the best LB but he’s a constant 7/10. Hence why he’s always been there.

Lewis has been a good player for us over the years.

I don't think it's doing him a disservice to say he wouldn't be in our all time best ever players squad whilst at the same time saying he is a club legend.

David Murphy for instance is generally regarded by pretty much all Hibs supporters as being a better player than Lewis, Lewis would probably agree, but he's not a club legend.
    If I was doing a best ever squad since I started watching them then I would have him in, I started going in 91/92 and have only seen 1 better LB and thats been Murphy, no doubt there have been better before my days but can't say how good as I didn't see them and football was completely different, I agree with most though, he is definitely a club legend

If I was doing a best ever squad since I started watching them then I would have him in, I started going in 91/92 and have only seen 1 better LB and thats been Murphy, no doubt there have been better before my days but can't say how good as I didn't see them and football was completely different, I agree with most though, he is definitely a club legend
    Ulrik Laursen was streets ahead of Lewis I'm afraid. Ian Murray was also that's why he earned a move to rangers and down south.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    Ulrik Laursen was streets ahead of Lewis I'm afraid. Ian Murray was also that's why he earned a move to rangers and down south.
    Murray wasn't really a LB though was he, and he actually said he preferred playing in the middle, Laursen I always felt was a better CH than a LB, for me I'd have Stevenson in a squad at Hibs all day long, would I have Murray or Laursen in a squad, possibly but would have others first

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    He is not the best left back at Hibs in my time but I'd have him in my legends team. His loyalty to Hibs is legendary in this modern era and I'd want to reciprocate that loyalty by having him in my team.

Murray wasn't really a LB though was he, and he actually said he preferred playing in the middle, Laursen I always felt was a better CH than a LB, for me I'd have Stevenson in a squad at Hibs all day long, would I have Murray or Laursen in a squad, possibly but would have others first
    Laursen was a decent player, for sure, but he made plenty of mistakes too, some of which were directly to blame for us losing points/games.

I've no doubt that if he'd been around for as long as Lewis has, he'd be getting his (in)fair share of brickbats.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    For me any player who's won a trophy for us is a club legend, and nobody can tell me any different.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    For me any player who's won a trophy for us is a club legend, and nobody can tell me any different.
    When are Andy McNeil, Shelton Martis, Chris Hogg and Kevin McCann being inducted into the hall of fame?

@hibs.net private member
    Lots of different things can make a player a legend. Number of appearances, how they conduct themselves and their dedication to the club, have they won anything, what is their personality like, goals scored etc etc. He has the most appearances of any Hibs player post Bosman. He has never played at anything under 100% and despite not supporting Hibs originally he clearly bleeds green now. He has a rare blend for a footballer of being humble, quiet, appreciative but also driven and determined. He overcame a decade of fans not liking him(I'll exclude myself here as I always rated him) and became a first choice pick for a large number of managers. It is subtle but he has great touch, keeps the ball well, never shys a tackle and is very tough and injury resistant. If value for money was also a legend criteria I suspect he would be up the top of that list too. He has also done what very few Hibs players have done, and none in the modern era, by winning the two trophies. He speaks so well about Hibs and in terms of role models I doubt anyone could point their kids at a better person to follow.

He isn't as good a player as some of the left backs I have watched in the last 45 years but the best of them like Murphy and Laursen never really stayed around long so have no legend status to my mind. Murphy winning a Trophy isn't enough for legend status on its own for me but winning goals at Ibrox would add to the status.

Lewis is a legend in my mind. It doesn't really take much thinking about as he has done things other haven't and went about it in a very professional manner.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    When are Andy McNeil, Shelton Martis, Chris Hogg and Kevin McCann being inducted into the hall of fame?
    All played their part, more so than Chris Dagnall who has a medal 😂

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

That's how I feel as well.

Contribution as a player, appearances, dedication and honours gets him legendary status.

However wouldn't make any top hand picked Hibs team which in itself is no disgrace.

@hibs.net private member
    Just listened to the longbangers chat with Lewis..great stories and insights - what a star that guy is - and well done to the podcast crew - great listen

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Just listened to the longbangers chat with Lewis..great stories and insights - what a star that guy is - and well done to the podcast crew - great listen
    Thanks!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Lots of different things can make a player a legend. Number of appearances, how they conduct themselves and their dedication to the club, have they won anything, what is their personality like, goals scored etc etc. He has the most appearances of any Hibs player post Bosman. He has never played at anything under 100% and despite not supporting Hibs originally he clearly bleeds green now. He has a rare blend for a footballer of being humble, quiet, appreciative but also driven and determined. He overcame a decade of fans not liking him(I'll exclude myself here as I always rated him) and became a first choice pick for a large number of managers. It is subtle but he has great touch, keeps the ball well, never shys a tackle and is very tough and injury resistant. If value for money was also a legend criteria I suspect he would be up the top of that list too. He has also done what very few Hibs players have done, and none in the modern era, by winning the two trophies. He speaks so well about Hibs and in terms of role models I doubt anyone could point their kids at a better person to follow.

He isn't as good a player as some of the left backs I have watched in the last 45 years but the best of them like Murphy and Laursen never really stayed around long so have no legend status to my mind. Murphy winning a Trophy isn't enough for legend status on its own for me but winning goals at Ibrox would add to the status.

Lewis is a legend in my mind. It doesn't really take much thinking about as he has done things other haven't and went about it in a very professional manner.
    Excellent post and I couldn't agree more.

I would rank Lewis as being probably only the 3rd or 4th best left back I've seen in my time but in my opinion, he is definitely in the top 10 list of club legends.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post

Nothing else needs to be said really.