hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Which of the teams above us would you say we'll eventually finish ahead of?

A month ago we were sitting second, two points off top spot and being lauded by many in the media as the best footballing team in the league and being touted as genuine title contenders.

Today we're eighth, yet despite a run of just one point from 12 there are only eight points separating the top eight teams and as Aberdeen and St Johnstone have shown, a couple of wins can propel you up the table.

Based on what we've seen so far, are we simply part of an extremely tight league with everyone, bar Celtic and a couple of teams at the bottom, of a similar standard. Or do you think we will ultimately prove better than most and secure another top four finish?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A month ago we were sitting second, two points off top spot and being lauded by many in the media as the best footballing team in the league and being touted as genuine title contenders.

Today we're eighth, yet despite a run of just one point from 12 there are only eight points separating the top eight teams and as Aberdeen and St Johnstone have shown, a couple of wins can propel you up the table.

Based on what we've seen so far, are we simply part of an extremely tight league with everyone, bar Celtic and a couple of teams at the bottom, of a similar standard. Or do you think we will ultimately prove better than most and secure another top four finish?
    With this squad I think realistically we’ll finish 6th. Killie look very good again and Hearts are clearly a decent side. My biggest hope for finishing higher would probably be finishing above Aberdeen who don’t look anything exciting or another outstanding January window.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    I would be disappointed if we didn't reel St.Johnstone and Livingston in, that would make 6th place the lowest I would expect.

Not sure about the others to be honest.

McGeouch, McGinn and Allan makes a helluva hole in any midfield and it was always going to take a bit of time to get back from losing them.

Livingston and St. Johnstone.

Anywhere between 3rd and 5th should be our finishing position based on Celtic and Rangers finishing in the top 2 and our direct rivals being Hearts and Aberdeen. We should never be finishing behind any other team in the country.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    I would be disappointed if we didn't reel St.Johnstone and Livingston in, that would make 6th place the lowest I would expect.

Not sure about the others to be honest.

McGeouch, McGinn and Allan makes a helluva hole in any midfield and it was always going to take a bit of time to get back from losing them.

I think Rangers will pull away in 2nd, and then it'll just be about who can piece a bit of form together/sign well in January between the rest.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Barring some kind of unexpected disaster - managerial change, long term injuries to key players etc - we should finish in the top four. We'll be ahead of Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

I think Rangers will pull away in 2nd, and then it'll just be about who can piece a bit of form together/sign well in January between the rest.
    That's where I'm at. I think we'll finish fourth just behind the sheep. We will finish ahead of Hearts. The longer Naismith is out the longer they will go without scoring goals.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    That's where I'm at. I think we'll finish fourth just behind the sheep. We will finish ahead of Hearts. The longer Naismith is out the longer they will go without scoring goals.
    If we click I expect us to be ahead of Aberdeen. They're gash but physical and well drilled - poorer than last season I think.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    If we click I expect us to be ahead of Aberdeen. They're gash but physical and well drilled - poorer than last season I think.
    Let's hope so. I agree they're nothing special. We just need to start beating them! A big physical striker to shake things up and Scott Allan might go some way to achieving this.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Our absolute minimum is only finishing behind teams with a superior budget (i.e. Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen), i.e. 5th. Finishing below anyone else is a failure, and by extension so is 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Our absolute minimum is only finishing behind teams with a superior budget (i.e. Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen), i.e. 5th. Finishing below anyone else is a failure, and by extension so is 6th.
    Yeah, we should always finish ahead of Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Livingston due to our far higher player budget.
    Injuries to vital players will hit these teams and their small squads before the end of the season.
    The scrap for 3rd-5th will eventually be between Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen.

Celtic and Aberdeen will finish ahead of us.

Sevco will implode at some point, we'll be a nudge ahead of Killie and eventually pull a mile ahead of Livi and St Johnstone.

We'll just about hang in there until January and Neil Lennon will produce some more rabbits from his hat who will fire us on to a very strong second half of the season.

We're not far away from being a very good side.

Left by mutual consent!
    All bar Celtic.

I would expect us to finish no worse than 4th, a few bad results doesn’t make us a bad team, things will turn around there is quality in this team and it will shine thru

It's still early in the season but we don't currently look like a top four side.

Whether that's down to us being poorer or the opposition improving, I'll leave that for others to decide.

Currently I can see us struggling to make top six, but would love for Hibs to prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 13-11-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    With this squad I think realistically we’ll finish 6th. Killie look very good again and Hearts are clearly a decent side. My biggest hope for finishing higher would probably be finishing above Aberdeen who don’t look anything exciting or another outstanding January window.
    I'd say that based on the games I've seen, Hearts and Aberdeen have probably impressed me least of the sides above us. Granted Naismith's injury has robbed them of their goal threat, but yams are on a similar run to us at present and I suspect the novelty value of launching a whole new squad at the start of the season has started to wear off.

League doesnt lie and we are where we are. League will be very tight. We should finish higher than livi and st j but on evidence at this current time we wont. I expect us to finish higher than 7th. I feel the league is so tight a couple of wins will see us back up the league again

Left by mutual consent!
    Ask again come new year.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    For me, we'll finish 5th.

1. Celtic
    2. Rangers
    3. Hearts
    4. Aberdeen
    5. Hibs

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Ask again come new year.
    But that changes the original question!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Ask again come new year.
    That's no how it works. You need to submit a prediction in writing right now

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    But that changes the original question!
    True in that case I’ll take all your teams and add in Killie.

Celtic
    Huns
    Hearts
    Killie
    Sheep
    Us (or saints tough call)
    Livi
    Motherwell
    ****fest battle to the end.

We need to pick up points in our next 4 games otherwise it could be bottom 6. Win 3 out of 4 at least and we go into the next set of games with confidence and you never know. Then a good proportion of the first team go away for about a month (covered partly by the winter break).

Left by mutual consent!
    Done chief 😆 👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Folk trying to move the goalposts eh??

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    For me, we'll finish 5th.

1. Celtic
    2. Rangers
    3. Hearts
    4. Aberdeen
    5. Hibs
    I'd tend to agree. Killie could well be above us aswell though.

First Team Breakthrough
    All bar Celtic and The rangers

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Hard to say but I don’t think the last four games are going to shape our season to be honest. Celtic park was half expected. A point at Tyne isn’t the worst based on recent history. The defeat at Home to St Johnstone was the worst of the four but they are now 5 wins on the bounce and no mugs. Friday night the weather was the biggest factor as there was nothing except a defensive blunder between the two teams at a place we haven’t exactly got a great recent record either. Time to get back to winning ways for sure but I’m not suicudal quite yet.

@hibs.net private member
    We’ll get above Livi and St Johnstone and finish 6th. Don’t see us finishing higher than the other five.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    It's still early in the season but we aren't looking like a better side than the majority of teams, like we did last season.

Whether that's down to us being poorer or the opposition improving, I'll leave that for others to decide.

Currently I can see us struggling to make top six, but would love for Hibs to prove me wrong.

I’m not sure we were looking so hot at this stage last season tbh.