hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hibs Twitter

Who actually runs the account now ?

I’ve definitely cringed more at the posts in last few months than years before.

Surely part of the job is to understand the mood of the support and proof read any posts ? Of course there are bigger things in life but do Hibs not have a reputation/ brand they want to create / stick to?

Posting the cup final team leaving out Boyle.
    The 5-1 reference.
    The Man City - this is our city tweet.
    Posting John McGinn last night.
    The award for fans last night for best moment ???!

That’s off the top of my head...not a witch hunt or wanting anyone sacked but if someone is getting paid to do that I would be concerned / making sure they get better training.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Surely part of the job is to understand the mood of the support and proof read any posts ? Of course there are bigger things in life but do Hibs not have a reputation/ brand they want to create / stick to?

The 5-1 reference.

That’s off the top of my head...not a witch hunt or wanting anyone sacked but if someone is getting paid to do that I would be concerned / making sure they get better training.
    Prince Philip

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

The 5-1 reference.

The award for best moment wasn’t anything to do with the social media person to be fair, they just had the job of posting the results. The rest are fair points. It seems clear that whoever has been doing it isn’t a Hibs fan.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HTD1875 View Post
    View from the terrace is linked to the terrace podcast however different guys depending on the topic of conversation unlike the tv show which has a set cast. I listened to mondays podcast was a Raith and a Stenny fan ripping the piss out of our socials.
    I just can't imagine a situation where a Raith or stenny fan have nothing better to talk about than Hibs' social media output.

Even I couldn't hold much of a conversation about it beyond "Aye, we post stuff then some folk go raj about it for some reason".
    Mon the Hibs.

The tone of it has been really cringe inducing over the last few months and there’s been a host of wee mistakes (which are only human).

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    The tone of it has been really cringe inducing over the last few months and there’s been a host of wee mistakes (which are only human).
    Over the last few months? Like what?

I'm not a huge fan of our social media or a lot of the output from Hibs tbh. I've said before that we peaked when Tom Zanelli was running the show and haven't really got close to those heights again.

I'm also something resembling a well rounded adult though. As such I can understand that every piece of output isn't aimed at the demographic I fall into and further I can avoid having a hissy fit about it when I don't like something.

I would strongly suspect it's an area we are looking to improve upon and I would think there will be a bit of a shift in what we see on Twitter and the like in the coming weeks and months.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Over the last few months? Like what?
    I want to preface that I agree with people on the folk on Twitter who are bashing the guys in replies who need to calm down. Some really over the top stuff in there.

But the last two months or so have been a really weird shift in tone. It feels like it’s being ran as a big brand, if you follow any American sports teams it has a bit of that vibe rather than what we would expect from Scottish Football clubs.

Examples include the Star Wars video. The attempt to banter off with Man City and Real Betis, the tweets sucking up to the royals (a bit tone deaf more than anything), and the way they hyped up the Arsenal friendly was a bit daft as fans usually expect it to mean a signing.

Overall nothing to get majorly upset over. I just find it a bit cringey in the way it does stuff at the moment

@hibs.net private member

The 5-1 reference.

In fairness his issue with the Cup Final team sheet is that he should’ve had most of the first team missing from the line up that day🤔

Why does the Hibs twitter account (or any team) need to be some sort of banter-driven content provider. Just post things we need to see, team lineups, important announcements, signings etc.

There's some weird thing with football twitter at the moment with every team trying to out banter each other with gifs, memes etc. it's all a bit naff. Don't know what purpose it serves for the club and tbh when you start to try and be witty or a bit 'out there' online you're only going to encourage negative responses from anonymous idiots.

I've cut down on social media use over the past year to try and keep better mental health. A great communication tool but also unfortunately very toxic
    Last edited by mcohibs; 30-05-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcohibs View Post
    Why does the Hibs twitter account (or any team) need to be some sort of banter-driven content provider. Just post things we need to see, team lineups, important announcements, signings etc.

There's some weird thing with football twitter at the moment with every team trying to out banter each other with gifs, memes etc. it's all a bit naff. Don't know what purpose it serves for the club and tbh when you start to try and be witty or a bit 'out there' online you're only going to encourage negative responses from anonymous idiots.

What's twitter, btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    What's twitter, btw?
    It's yon wee yellow bird Sylvester used to try and catch no?

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

I've cut down on social media use over the past year to try and keep better mental health. A great communication tool but also unfortunately very toxic

Because it’s more than just Ceefax on your phone!

Folk on here bang on about encouraging kids to the football and that they are the future Hibs support when talking about toddlers getting cheap tickets etc.

Well, social media plays a far more important role if you’re aged 8 - 18. They need Twitter, Tic-Tok, Snapchat etc.

It’s a hugely important part of the club’s brand and needs to be done properly. Why else do you think clubs use it at all?

Nobody is saying it’s as important as 3 points on a Saturday but if you can’t get basics like team line ups correct you probably need to hire someone who can.

RG has talked about the Hibs brand and expanding it. Like it or not, that includes our online presence. We need to get it right though.

The world has moved on from waiting for The Pink
    Last edited by WhileTheChief..; 31-05-2021 at 10:27 AM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    What's twitter, btw?
    Once a week visit for me. Tramlines around 2pm, and that’s it

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: FleshCabbage
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of our social media or a lot of the output from Hibs tbh. I've said before that we peaked when Tom Zanelli was running the show and haven't really got close to those heights again.

I'm also something resembling a well rounded adult though. As such I can understand that every piece of output isn't aimed at the demographic I fall into and further I can avoid having a hissy fit about it when I don't like something.

I would strongly suspect it's an area we are looking to improve upon and I would think there will be a bit of a shift in what we see on Twitter and the like in the coming weeks and months.
    Hi Pretty Boy, I'm not wanting to get drawn into the rights or wrongs of the current person in charge of the media department. Having been part of the media department from 2012 to 2019 in a variety of roles, including about four and a half years as a PR and Media Officer, I can assure you it's a tough gig.

I just wanted to point out that Tom Zanelli wasn't ever in charge of the club's social media channels. He might have fronted 'Outside the Box', but he didn't do anything else media orientated. His role was Commercial Executive, he left just as I was going full-time at the club and it was Andrew Sleight who was in charge at that point.

While I like Tom, he was responsible for selling advertising, bringing in sponsors, mascot packages etc, nothing related to the media other than hosting OTB.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

Folk on here bang on about encouraging kids to the football and that they are the future Hibs support when talking about toddlers getting cheap tickets etc.

Well, social media plays a far more important role if you’re aged 8 - 18. They need Twitter, Tic-Tok, Snapchat etc.

It’s a hugely important part of the club’s brand and needs to be done properly. Why else do you think clubs use at all?

Nobody is saying it’s as important as 3 points on a Saturday but if you can’t get basics like team ups correct you probably need to hire someone who can.

RG has talked about the Hibs brand and expanding it. Like it or not, that includes our online presence. We need to get it right though.

That’s about it for me.

I couldn’t really give a **** about it because I don’t really look at Hibs social media. But if they’re bothering to do it then there must be huge benefits to doing it, especially with younger fans. And if that’s the case then we should be doing it well, something which doesn’t appear to be the case.

Social media is a massive marketing tool as everyone knows so i'm pretty sure Ron and his team have targeted it. Personally I don't have Facebook and only rarely log into Twitter which is probably unusual for someone in their 30's but can see why the club are trying to be a bit different with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I want to preface that I agree with people on the folk on Twitter who are bashing the guys in replies who need to calm down. Some really over the top stuff in there.

But the last two months or so have been a really weird shift in tone. It feels like it’s being ran as a big brand, if you follow any American sports teams it has a bit of that vibe rather than what we would expect from Scottish Football clubs.

Examples include the Star Wars video. The attempt to banter off with Man City and Real Betis, the tweets sucking up to the royals (a bit tone deaf more than anything), and the way they hyped up the Arsenal friendly was a bit daft as fans usually expect it to mean a signing.

Overall nothing to get majorly upset over. I just find it a bit cringey in the way it does stuff at the moment
    Agree with all this. The tone has just been a bit off recently.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

It’s a hugely important part of the club’s brand and needs to be done properly. Why else do you think clubs use it at all?

Nobody is saying it’s as important as 3 points on a Saturday but if you can’t get basics like team line ups correct you probably need to hire someone who can.

Social media is the great swindle of our times.
    The 8-18s may want it but they don’t need it. The greatest seduction is them thinking they need it when in practise the impact on self esteem and in some cases mental health has been well documented.

Slightly devils advocate here (and I don’t know the answers) but

How are we monetising “followers”?

Do they convert to increased demand for viewing/people through the gates/increased merchandising? Or are simple “eye-balls” enough?

Where is the justification for spending “over the odds” on SM?
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    The 8-18s may want it but they don’t need it. The greatest seduction is them thinking they need it when in practise the impact on self esteem and in some cases mental health has been well documented.

Do they convert to increased demand for viewing/people through the gates/increased merchandising? Or are simple “eye-balls” enough?

Said the same when the clubs did the social media blackout and people were asking (in all seriousness) how they’d find out the team before it ran onto the park.

It’s the way of the world now that clubs need to provide up to date news and “banter” to keep the young ‘uns engaged. It’s bad enough when the club don’t update the website quick enough with the most recent U18’s bounce game and the club is described as “a shambles”, can you imagine if we didn’t bother with social media?

First Team Regular

They are great questions, and id be very interested in any data Hibs had to demostrate impact.

Having run a team in the past that included the social media team, i do think there is a huge element of emperor's new clothes about it - people feel they need to do stuff because others are doing it.

As always it comes down to what you want to achieve with it - im sure it helps a bit, probably at season ticket renewal time. But all the videos etc, im sceptical they have a huge effect.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar

Good luck telling a teenager they don’t need social media!!!

Higher levels of engagement/ interactions from the clubs social media channels attracts more sponsors. I think this is why we have seen an increase in sponsors/ partnerships at the club.

Hibs do the occasional advertising tweet for the likes of Carabao. Not something that gets any high levels engagement but I can imagine they’re working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibee1875's Avatar
    Latest Twitter activity hasn’t gone down well. And I can fully understand why tbh. Hype the fans up early in the day saying there will be a 2pm announcement only to announce a new shirt sponsor.

NO ONE CARES HIBS!!

Fair enough tell us about it, but don’t get our hopes up that it’s going to be a new signing or kit reveal

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Hahaha hibs twitters got everyone on strings

Sometimes bring it on themselves to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    Hahaha hibs twitters got everyone on strings

Sometimes bring it on themselves to be honest
    Significant investment ,good news day.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee1875 View Post
    Latest Twitter activity hasn’t gone down well. And I can fully understand why tbh. Hype the fans up early in the day saying there will be a 2pm announcement only to announce a new shirt sponsor.

NO ONE CARES HIBS!!

Fair enough tell us about it, but don’t get our hopes up that it’s going to be a new signing or kit reveal
    The toxicity on the replies is absolutely shocking and some folk need to have a serious word with themselves

I care, the video with Stanton was a really really good watch and in the middle of a pandemic any money coming into the club is good news

Some of our fans are right torn faced disasters, I've now done a total 180 on the Twitter admin, hope they continue to troll the **** out of people
    Last edited by Mon Dieu4; 04-06-2021 at 01:11 PM.

They never learn, do they?

Don't make an announcement getting the fans worked up unless it's a new signing. They'll be getting stick on their socials again and rightly so.

Cringey AF first line as well.