hibs.net Messageboard

Coaching Staff

John Bain Ferranti Thistle

Thought it worth while mentioning that John has died aged 95.

John played for and managed Ferranti Thistle & was heavily involved with them when they became Meadowbank Thistle. Even when the club moved to Livingston John was there, he was happy man at a certain 2004 cup final which some on here may remember.

I first met John at Ferrantie's Dalkeith factory where he was a planning engineer, we both eventually moved to Robbie Ave.

John loved his football & was a real gentleman, lovely guy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    RIP.
    Ferranti's used to run skittles leagues in Murrayfield ISC so I followed the footie team. Remember the move to Meadowbank, way too big for the 60 or 70 I remember
    watching from the main stand. Were my second team until they started beating us.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought it worth while mentioning that John has died aged 95.

John played for and managed Ferranti Thistle & was heavily involved with them when they became Meadowbank Thistle. Even when the club moved to Livingston John was there, he was happy man at a certain 2004 cup final which some on here may remember.

I first met John at Ferrantie's Dalkeith factory where he was a planning engineer, we both eventually moved to Robbie Ave.

John loved his football & was a real gentleman, lovely guy.
    I'm sure he was still honorary Chairman at Livingston.
    Great guy loved his football.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    I'm sure he was still honorary Chairman at Livingston.
    Great guy loved his football.
    Correct

First Team Breakthrough
    Lovely man and fond memories of discussions about footy and golf and not much work ....pretty standard at Ferranti mind you.

any idea of funeral plans as I would like to pay my respects ?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by KSA Hibee View Post
    Lovely man and fond memories of discussions about footy and golf and not much work ....pretty standard at Ferranti mind you.

any idea of funeral plans as I would like to pay my respects ?
    I worked hard at Ferranti 😉

No sorry don't have that info

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    RIP

I worked at Ferranti, and even played for the Ferranti Thistle team (post Meadowbank Thistle).

Its nice to see so much respect for someone that put their heart and soul into something they loved.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    RIP

I worked at Ferranti, and even played for the Ferranti Thistle team (post Meadowbank Thistle).

Its nice to see so much respect for someone that put their heart and soul into something they loved.
    There is a lovely tribute to John on the Livingston web site.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    There is a lovely tribute to John on the Livingston web site.
    John Bain: a Thistle to a Lion

Thursday, 7 February, 2019

I’d like to acknowledge John Bain’s remarkable contribution to Scottish Football, and to say that for all of us at Livingston FC, John is undoubtedly the greatest servant any Club could ever hope for, and we will miss him greatly.
    Over 70 years at the heart of the Club game. Few will ever come close to this.
    I am proud to have a signed copy of his book, “Public Parks to Premier League” which every Livi fan should read, and remember fondly his own pride in being Honorary President for Life at our Club.
    He was a regular in the Directors Box until a couple of seasons ago when he decided that one of the glass boxes would be a warmer, more comfortable place to watch matches, because “I’m getting on a bit.” I think he was 95 at this point.
    He had strong views on the league structure in Scotland, and supported the pyramid system which allows modern day Ferranti Thistles to climb to the top. He believed that the traditional support for the big clubs continues to hold our Club back, but was optimistic about our future as a Premiership side. Strongly held views to the end.
    He’d seen it all: from Amateur Works team in the Welfare League – which he played for, captained, coached ( there was no coaching, only training he told me) – through to the East of Scotland League. Then a change of Club status and name to Meadowbank Thistle in the Scottish Football League, before finally relocating to become the Livingston FC we love today.
    He saw more ups and downs than anyone should have to cope with. But he never lost faith.
    It is often said when a great figure passes that ‘it’s the end of an era’. Well, John presided over several eras at our Club, and he was the one constant our fans could look to. If it is the end of an era, what an era it is with John’ Club competing well in the Scotland’s top flight.
    A new era is about to start without John. I hope we can continue to do him proud.
    Thank you John Bain.
    Gordon Ford OBE
    RIP

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    95 - fantastic! RIP indeed; a full life well lived.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    John Bain: a Thistle to a Lion

Thursday, 7 February, 2019

I’d like to acknowledge John Bain’s remarkable contribution to Scottish Football, and to say that for all of us at Livingston FC, John is undoubtedly the greatest servant any Club could ever hope for, and we will miss him greatly.
    Over 70 years at the heart of the Club game. Few will ever come close to this.
    I am proud to have a signed copy of his book, “Public Parks to Premier League” which every Livi fan should read, and remember fondly his own pride in being Honorary President for Life at our Club.
    He was a regular in the Directors Box until a couple of seasons ago when he decided that one of the glass boxes would be a warmer, more comfortable place to watch matches, because “I’m getting on a bit.” I think he was 95 at this point.
    He had strong views on the league structure in Scotland, and supported the pyramid system which allows modern day Ferranti Thistles to climb to the top. He believed that the traditional support for the big clubs continues to hold our Club back, but was optimistic about our future as a Premiership side. Strongly held views to the end.
    He’d seen it all: from Amateur Works team in the Welfare League – which he played for, captained, coached ( there was no coaching, only training he told me) – through to the East of Scotland League. Then a change of Club status and name to Meadowbank Thistle in the Scottish Football League, before finally relocating to become the Livingston FC we love today.
    He saw more ups and downs than anyone should have to cope with. But he never lost faith.
    It is often said when a great figure passes that ‘it’s the end of an era’. Well, John presided over several eras at our Club, and he was the one constant our fans could look to. If it is the end of an era, what an era it is with John’ Club competing well in the Scotland’s top flight.
    A new era is about to start without John. I hope we can continue to do him proud.
    Thank you John Bain.
    Gordon Ford OBE
    RIP
    Thank you for putting that up. Both my wife & myself worked at Ferranti, we both have fond memories of a lovely man, but a hard task master. 👍

First Team Breakthrough famous_fife_hibby's Avatar

Ferranti Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    RIP

My Late Brother-in Law Harry Martin played for Ferranti if I remember rightly, he worked at Robbi ave and at both Ferry road sites.

Obsessed with the Hibees son of haggart's Avatar
    Can anyone clarify where they played in the early 60s, prior to moving to City Park. I have a childhood memory of watching them somewhere off Fishwives Causeway - probably somewhere between 1962 and 1964

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by son of haggart View Post
    Can anyone clarify where they played in the early 60s, prior to moving to City Park. I have a childhood memory of watching them somewhere off Fishwives Causeway - probably somewhere between 1962 and 1964
    They played at Crew Toll in the 60s. Edinburgh Corporation had plans to build a college and offered Ferranti Thistle City Park which I think was Edinburgh Citys old ground.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    They played at Crew Toll in the 60s. Edinburgh Corporation had plans to build a college and offered Ferranti Thistle City Park which I think was Edinburgh Citys old ground.
    Yes it was behind the Old Bonn Amee which was next to the Bowing Green.
    I remember as an apprentice going to the Bonn Amee for lunch as it was an overspill for the Crewe Toll canteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post

Thanks must have been an away game I saw then

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks must have been an away game I saw then
    v Portobello Volta?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    To those that were asking about funeral arrangements etc, John is being cremated at the Livingston Crematorium today at 2pm with a reception taking place at Almondvale from 3pm afterwards.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    To those that were asking about funeral arrangements etc, John is being cremated at the Livingston Crematorium today at 2pm with a reception taking place at Almondvale from 3pm afterwards.
    Thanks ... will try and make it along.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    v Portobello Volta?
    Did they play near Fishwives causeway? - if so then probably

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did they play near Fishwives causeway? - if so then probably
    Played on a pitch next to the old ash pits for Portobello Power Station

One of the goals backed onto the ash pits, the other onto the allotments that backed on to the road up from Kings Road to Jocks Lodge (whose name escapes me)

Testimonial Due

One of the goals backed onto the ash pits, the other onto the allotments that backed on to the road up from Kings Road to Jocks Lodge (whose name escapes me)
    Was it Bellfield or Belmont? I remember playing there in the 70's, its now an Industrial Estate.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

First Team Breakthrough

Possibly Woods Park ?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by monarch View Post
    Possibly Woods Park ?
    think Woods park was the bottle works park on the Fishwives Causeway side.